Is 90 Points The Target For Promotion?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Panasonicgeese

Reaction score
I've looked at final tables for the last 10 EFL championships and 2nd place / 90 points seems to be the 'guarantee' figure for promotion.

Do we think that's the figure this year?

96 is the most Middlesbrough can accrue with there 12 remaining games.

What's the general feeling?

I think 85 points might be enough for an automatic place.

However, I would be much happier if we remain on target for a 90 point total, which I feel will guarantee us a place in the Premier League next season. There is no way Boro will reach 90 points, with the number of games they have left.

I've looked at final tables for the last 10 EFL championships and 2nd place / 90 points seems to be the 'guarantee' figure for promotion.

Maths not your strong point then?

88 for me now

Hecky insists it'll go down to the wire though, presumably conceding that Boro will out-point us between now and May, in which case he might have set the bar at 84 or 85 points

I think it will get closer than 7 but we will still go up but I think it will go down to second to last game before we seal it

1 point above 3rd should do it. I’d love to to see Burnley have a blip and it make the remaining games something to push on for.

Boro can only get to 93 now, and that is highly unlikely.

They have achieved 2.4 points per game in their last 10, which is impressive, but keeping that up will be very difficult.

Let's assume they do and they will hit 86 points. To beat that on 87 points we would need to get 1.7 points per game.

Personally, I can see Boro finishing on around 80 points, so 6 more wins would see us over the line.

We need to end with 1 point more than the team in 3rd or level with a superior goal difference. The numbers involved are as interesting to me as the pigs continuing to exist.

i think 84 will get us up theres that many teams still in contention for a play off spot their gonna take points off each other and will be plenty of drawn games 6 wins and 2 draws will take us up imo

my take at mo
played 33 64pts
max pts would be 99
so 64 is just 2 shy of being two thirds of max pts

so 13 games left is 39pts max
so two thirds is 26pts= average of 2pts a game

I think eight more wins will just about do it
8 more wins would definetly do it mb that would take us to 88 at least and boro would have to win 10 out of last 12 to pip us which wont happen mind very much doubt we will win 8 out of last 13 games 6 and a couple of draws will be good enough imo

Never liked points targets, I have always been a cliche man of one game at a time. When you look at the teams in and of reach of the playoffs they pretty much all have to play Huddersfield yet, they will be scrapping like anything with hoof ball and shit house tactics to grind out wins. They could easily have a big say on the season for alot of teams yet, Warnock has nothing to lose which makes them dangerous.

I said a few weeks back that 85 to 86 points should enough. This is lower than normal because all the competing teams are inconsistent.

People seem to have this logic that if Middlesboro have just won 10 out of 12 matches then they are likely to repeat it. When the reality is that they are very unlikely to continue their brilliant form to the end of the season.

I’ve also we don’t even need a good finish, win a few, draw a few and lose a few should be enough.

93 is the maximum number of points that Middlesbrough can get.

Never liked points targets, I have always been a cliche man of one game at a time. When you look at the teams in and of reach of the playoffs they pretty much all have to play Huddersfield yet, they will be scrapping like anything ...
They weren't yesterday.

Boro can only get to 93 now, and that is highly unlikely.

They have achieved 2.4 points per game in their last 10, which is impressive, but keeping that up will be very difficult.

Let's assume they do and they will hit 86 points. To beat that on 87 points we would need to get 1.7 points per game.

Personally, I can see Boro finishing on around 80 points, so 6 more wins would see us over the line.
I love posts like this. 6 wins i can focus on. The good thing is Boro's fixtures turn as ours get better in April. So if we're still ahead we should be able to see it over the line.

Whilst our run now is against playoff chasing teams, we fair well against sides who want to win. I'd almost prefer our run to playing teams like Rotherham, Hudds etc who shut up shop.

If Middlesbrough average 2ppg until the end of the season, that lands them on 81 points.

United could drop our ppg to 1.5 and still finish on 83/84 points.
That's 7 wins and 6 defeats. Or 5 wins, 5 draws and 3 defeats, from...
  • Blackburn (a)
  • Reading (a)
  • Luton (h)
  • Sunderland (a)
  • WBA (h)
  • Norwich (a)
  • Wigan (h)
  • Burnley (a)
  • Cardiff (h)
  • Bristol C (h)
  • Huddersfield (a)
  • Preston (h)
  • Birmingham (a)
You'd like to think we will be winning our last 4 home games which leaves 8 points to find from 9 games 0.88ppg.

For context, Wigan are bottom with 0.93ppg

If Middlesbrough average 2ppg until the end of the season, that lands them on 81 points.

United could drop our ppg to 1.5 and still finish on 83/84 points.
That's 7 wins and 6 defeats. Or 5 wins, 5 draws and 3 defeats, from...
  • Blackburn (a)
  • Reading (a)
  • Luton (h)
  • Sunderland (a)
  • WBA (h)
  • Norwich (a)
  • Wigan (h)
  • Burnley (a)
  • Cardiff (h)
  • Bristol C (h)
  • Huddersfield (a)
  • Preston (h)
  • Birmingham (a)
You'd like to think we will be winning our last 4 home games which leaves 8 points to find from 9 games 0.88ppg.

For context, Wigan are bottom with 0.93ppg
Win our 6 home games then, and pick up a win / draw away from home and we're over the line.

The reality of us finishing on 83/84 points and Boro on 81 could be far less encouraging though. Imagine going into the last 2 fixtures knowing you needed a win.

Looking at those fixtures I'd predict 8 wins:
  • Blackburn (a)
  • Reading (a) - WIN
  • Luton (h)
  • Sunderland (a)
  • WBA (h) - WIN
  • Norwich (a)
  • Wigan (h) - WIN
  • Burnley (a)
  • Cardiff (h) - WIN
  • Bristol C (h) - WIN (bogey team)
  • Huddersfield (a) - WIN
  • Preston (h) - WIN
  • Birmingham (a) - WIN

Back
Top Bottom