Injuries

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Between now & Wigan (a) game that’s 5 weeks from the Cardiff game. You’d think the majority of the players should be back by then?

Even the major hamstring injuries should be close to return? That would be 8/9 weeks since they tore them.

I know we’ve got Huddersfield before that but I’d expect us to be back to nearly full strength by Wigan.

It would be nice to think that, but it sounds optimistic.

He's already confirmed Brewster & RND definitely won't be back by then and he's said "Anel will be ruled out for a while" with illness. Impossible to predict where he's at as we know so little, but it doesn't sound great for him.

We don't know the extent of ankle ligament damage that McBurnie's suffering from, note that Jebbison has been out for a good while with that type of injury.

You've then got Robinson who did his hamstring in the last game. Most of our hamstring injuries seem to take at least a couple of months to come back from, so you'd have to assume he's another doubt.

Seems to be some optimism that Bogle, Lowe, Doyle, Fleck, Coulibaly & Berge should all be back, but I still think we're going to be a little way off full strength.

He's already confirmed Brewster & RND definitely won't be back by then and he's said "Anel will be ruled out for a while" with illness. Impossible to predict where he's at as we know so little, but it doesn't sound great for him.

We don't know the extent of ankle ligament damage that McBurnie's suffering from, note that Jebbison has been out for a good while with that type of injury.

You've then got Robinson who did his hamstring in the last game. Most of our hamstring injuries seem to take at least a couple of months to come back from, so you'd have to assume he's another doubt.

Seems to be some optimism that Bogle, Lowe, Doyle, Fleck, Coulibaly & Berge should all be back, but I still think we're going to be a little way off full strength.
Rumours going round the under 21s on Monday that Anel has glandular fever

I think only time will tell with Anel & we can’t speculate.

Jebbison & McBurnie you’d hope another 5 weeks ie Huddersfield they might be back light training.

The two major ones are RND & Brewster, but by the time we play Huddersfield that’s 12 weeks since RND’s injury. Kyle walker has just returned from groin surgery in 6 weeks.

I’m optimistic.

That'd be a massive shame and could even be a season ender. We'd need to invest in that position in January, or dip into the loan market, as Basham is too much of a liability to rely upon for that many games.

Seriously hope that's wrong, even more so given his Mrs has just announced her pregnancy.

That'd be a massive shame and could even be a season ender. We'd need to invest in that position in January, or dip into the loan market, as Basham is too much of a liability to rely upon for that many games.

Seriously hope that's wrong, even more so given his Mrs has just announced her pregnancy.
Most symptoms of glandular fever will usually resolve within two or three weeks. Your throat will normally feel most sore for three to five days after symptoms start before gradually improving,

You know when PH said he could be out for a while with illness this was first thing that sprung to mind.
I'd think if this is the case that's just bad luck. Let's hope he hasn't passed it on to any other players as well if it is this.

Most symptoms of glandular fever will usually resolve within two or three weeks. Your throat will normally feel most sore for three to five days after symptoms start before gradually improving,
Think you have to be careful with training though. He might be fine, but it could like some say rule him out for alot longer.

I had it myself when I was about 19.

Completely wiped out my immune system and was followed up by a bad bout of shingles and constant fatigue. Picked it up during freshers week at Uni. It took me months to feel right.

David Brooks, similarly, seemed to suffer badly with it. From memory, as did Simon Francis.
The glandular fever might clear up, but it's not as straight forward as that. It's a nasty one.

Hopefully not.

I seem to remember that Briane Deane was out for a period of time with glandular fever. Can anyone confirm this and if so, how long was he out?

A big difference between 50+ years ago and now is the pace of the game and the amount of the pitch the players cover. Wingers used to stay on the wing and not go back beyond the half-way line; full-backs rarely crossed the half-way line. Centre-halves never went up for corners or long throw-ins (which hadn’t been invented). The ball was heavy, and there wasn’t the twisting and stretching to deal with it. The workload was heavy, and I have overstated the differences, but rather like modern-day sprinters, the modern footballers are super-fit athletes who are only one sprint away from twanging a hamstring. And they are expected to chase and press. A full-back from earlier eras would look at what Baldock does now in disbelief.The players of the 50s and 60s had to put up with hard tackles and shoulder charges, but unless they were unlucky, they only resulted in bruising. If you’d been a miner or a soldier in WW2, bruises were not a big issue.
Yes, I agree with most of that although I'd disagree about centre halves not going up. United scored a lot of goals from corners with the likes of Eddie Colqhuoun, John Flynn and John McPhail going up for them. Usually one of them at the near post and one at the back. Obviously the Thursday or Friday drinking in Josephines by some players, allegedly, seemed to be no detriment to them keeping fit enough to play the following day! Imagine todays players with the modern day levels of fitness on those old pitches. The pitches themselves lead to faster play because the ball runs true all the time with no holding up in mud or bobbling on divots.

Yes, I agree with most of that although I'd disagree about centre halves not going up. United scored a lot of goals from corners with the likes of Eddie Colqhuoun, John Flynn and John McPhail going up for them. Usually one of them at the near post and one at the back. Obviously the Thursday or Friday drinking in Josephines by some players, allegedly, seemed to be no detriment to them keeping fit enough to play the following day! Imagine todays players with the modern day levels of fitness on those old pitches. The pitches themselves lead to faster play because the ball runs true all the time with no holding up in mud or bobbling on divots.
Totally agree. I tried to cover myself with the 50+ years, which doesn’t quite let me off the Colquhoun hook. From memory, Jackie Charlton was a major factor of having the centre-half go up for corners. And perhaps John Charles, who switched between playing centre-half and centre-forward? Wing-backs and wingers helping the defence were a later development. Stanley Matthews would not retreat beyond the halfway lane, and allegedly would let the ball run out of play rather than head it if a pass came to him in the air. The roles of each player were much more clearly defined and limited. It would be fascinating to know how far Coldwell, Badger, Baldock ran in a game. I guess it would be a steep historical progression. And the goalkeeper never left his penalty area.

Interesting that we have used the most players in the league. So looks like we have suffered the most, but not by as much as I expected. The fixtures do seem to be causing a problem for all teams.

View attachment 147861
Doesn't give a definitive answer.we have used 29 there are injuries and short term injuries where players are used for the odd match or two.We have been hit with longer term injuries.
Another factor is a change of manager means fringe players given a chance to shine with there team struggling

I seem to remember that Briane Deane was out for a period of time with glandular fever. Can anyone confirm this and if so, how long was he out?
He did, in 1991-2.

He played only 4 of the first 15 league games - the first 2 and only 2 of the next 13. Season started on 17 August and he was back for good on 2 November when we beat Wednesday 2-0.

He did, in 1991-2.

He played only 4 of the first 15 league games - the first 2 and only 2 of the next 13. Season started on 17 August and he was back for good on 2 November when we beat Wednesday 2-0.
He was out of action after the 2-1 loss at Oldham on 7th September (he scored despite us having only 9 men) and returned against Wendy on 17th November (scored and played full game)

So we reckon Anel out til the new year then?

It's unpredictable. If it is GF then it could hamper his whole season. On the other hand, he could be OK to return to football around Xmas.

Let's hope the rumours are false and it's something less serious.

Most symptoms of glandular fever will usually resolve within two or three weeks. Your throat will normally feel most sore for three to five days after symptoms start before gradually improving, and your fever will usually last 10 to 14 days.16 Dec 2020

Taken from NHS website. I imagine this can vary but saying he'll be out for the end of the season I would say is being very half glass full, like never having one in the first place! Bash plays there of course and although he's not as good as he was in his prime he won't let us down either and with Lowe, Bogle and Berge expected to be back we should be stronger after the break then before it even without Anel.

Brooks had it and he lost all his energy, took him months to get back to something like. But effects different people different ways subsequently impossible to speculat.

I'm setting my expectations low, details and recovery times have always been sketchy at best under Hecky. But I'm hoping for 2-3 back, it would make a huge difference.

I think only time will tell with Anel & we can’t speculate.

Jebbison & McBurnie you’d hope another 5 weeks ie Huddersfield they might be back light training.

The two major ones are RND & Brewster, but by the time we play Huddersfield that’s 12 weeks since RND’s injury. Kyle walker has just returned from groin surgery in 6 weeks.

I’m optimistic.
The big difference with Kyle Walker is that he's a Man City player and they really do pay top dollar to have the best treatment money can buy for their players.
e.g. When John Stones was injured first half of a game a couple of seasons ago he was on a private jet to a hospital in Spain before the 2nd half of the game had finished and was seen by a surgeon that night!
Whereas at Sheffield United.....
I reckon we still use leeches 🤔

Don't worry. I'm sure the 14 injured will have been put down when we report back after the WC whilst out of the 14 still on duty at Cardiff, at least 4 of them will have picked up an injury making a cheese sandwich or slipped at the side of the swimming pool whilst getting away for a week and pulled a back muscle and will be out for at least 12 weeks. Egan will be out for something like getting a peanut stuck up his nose. Im actively looking forward to the next set of comedy 'hes out because' reasons that I will read on here in 4 weeks time. Baldock ruled out for 6 months after pulling up his trouser fly too quick and getting his jizz stick trapped in the steel teeth.

I had glandular fever in my twenties and was back to normal within 10 days. My mate had it at Uni, and hat to retake a year, as it rendered him with barely enough energy to leave the sofa for six months. He was basically too lazy to even be a student.

Tbf we don't even know if he has got glandular fever. I said it could be a possibility a few pages back, then someone said there was a rumour with the academy staff, but there's no official word. It could still be something to do with his wife's pregnancy

Back
Top Bottom