If we're going to sell players, just sell them now

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think loans are stop gaps personally move on players yes but unless crazy off don't sell rammers with berge to me
I still think he doesn't fit our style but with Sj coming in it might work better.
I'd sell old if a good offer comes in

People have lost the run of themselves a bit I feel.

A couple of million was basically 10-20% of our promotion winning wage bill! For the season - it’s paying 2 players 20k a week!

we’ve been relegated, there’s no premier league money tree to enjoy, sponsorship deals will shrink, commercial income will shrink. And parashoot payments will only go so far.

we need to be clever, although we don’t want it overshadowing the entire offseason it’s insane to suggest we shouldn’t negotiate every last penny out of the suitors. And we must have replacements lined up.
Have a like for parashoot

Because some donut wrote a 750k release clause into McDonalds contract. If we get Berges release fee I'd have no issue with it

This is true but what if the release clause is met on transfer deadline day or very late in the window? Then we won't have time to replace him and will scrambling around for dregs.

This is true but what if the release clause is met on transfer deadline day or very late in the window? Then we won't have time to replace him and will scrambling around for dregs.
You think if it’s got to deadline day and we’ve not cashed in, so we would have planned to have that hole in our finances, and then out of the blue someone throws down £35M on deadline day we’d be in for the dregs?
We’ve just got £35M cash, in a single settlement so you’re going to have to walk me through your logic on that particular piece of paranoia.

You think if it’s got to deadline day and we’ve not cashed in, so we would have planned to have that hole in our finances, and then out of the blue someone throws down £35M on deadline day we’d be in for the dregs?
We’ve just got £35M cash, in a single settlement so you’re going to have to walk me through your logic on that particular piece of paranoia.

Ok we have £35M cash great.

However we are missing a first team player and do not have time to replace them, unless you try free transfers (dregs are the ones who don't have clubs in September).

What do you suggest we do? Is this a positive outcome?

i would expect us to make 4 loan signings and 2 permanents nothing wrong with loans anyway plus probably at least 2 will be with a view to buy

I'm afraid the only way to avoid this anxiety for you as a fan would be if the club sells all of its players today.

However we are missing a first team player and do not have time to replace them, unless you try free transfers (dregs are the ones who don't have clubs in September).

I doubt Jokanovic is counting on Berge.

If he stays last minute, he'll take it I'm sure but otherwise he will be building without him I'd imagine. Bit different if a bid comes in for Rammers, but then again, who is going to leave their choice of first team goalkeeper to TDD?

Why do we not have time to replace them?
Are you saying they drop £35M with 15 mins to go of the window and have opportunity to discuss and agree terms with the player within that quarter of an hour?
Clearly if something is going to happen they'll need to have discussed terms way beforehand so we'd have an indication something is likely, and the point you seem to be missing is we'll have £35M in cash upfront to push through any deal we had on standby. There will always be players who are available and not moving due to us not being willing to meet an inflated price. Well, that money would then be there but I wouldn't assume we'll be spending daft money on anyone. I can't see any deals over £10M as that would be crazy, so I think it's fair to assume if needed we'd have someone able to play the role in the squad. There is also the loan market and there's a load of players who will not have gotten their move away from the bigger clubs that we could make a bigger loan offer for. We also have our own youth players who we could give playing time to, and we have players in Belgium we could bring over.
Your idea of setting a lower bar doesn't prevent anything which you are worrying about from happening, it just tells the buying club we're highly likely to blink first and accept a lower offer.

Last edited:
I think loans are stop gaps personally

One man's stop gap is another man's acquiring the use of a player as part of a wider player recruitment strategy, which we couldn't otherwise afford or otherwise acquire. I don't recall anyone saying Henderson was a stop gap, or bad value for money because it wasn't a permanent deal.

Think of these players like stocks & shares, would you sell them now at their lowest point, or would you hold your nerve till the next window and see what happens to their value...?

There is one thing FMBlade1 , I’ve had a few laughs reading through the thread so I thank you dearly for that, cheered me up big time. 😁

Sick of wasting hours or days negotiating over fees? Here at WeBuyAnyPlayer we promise to always accept the first offer.

No bids come in for any of your players?

Not a problem! Weigh your used players in at your local WeBuyAnyPlayer recycling centre.

Weigh in over ton and get a free gender neutral coffee mug!

Offer expires deadline day.

This thread is silly.

Actually I don't think so. We have held our ground on Ramsdale for what, an extra £4 million?

Money which will probably be wiped out as other teams/agents raise their prices as they know we are desperate and have this 'windfall'.

Meanwhile we have wasted time preparing the team with players that aren't going to be here, and threw Verrips to the wolves.

It would have been better if we had sold Ramsdale for £18 million the day we got relegated.

Last edited:
We aren't going to sell anybody. Anybody who does leave we'll have to pay off or be paying a proportion of their wages for the duration of whatever mind boggling contract they were given at the time.

We'll be paying other clubs to take them off our hands, you know, like you do for scrap cars, old sofas and other such shite...

Gerremselt gerremallselt

Every single second the players remain here the more their value drops, would you really be against any of our players being sold at this point?

The only one I would be gutted to see leave would be Egan and Bogle (and Jebbison and Hackford if we include them as first team players)

Actually I don't think so. We have held our ground on Ramsdale for what, an extra £2 million?

Money which will probably be wiped out as other teams/agents raise their prices as they know we are desperate and have this 'windfall'.

Meanwhile we have wasted time preparing the team with players that aren't going to be here, and threw Verrips to the wolves.

It would have been better if we had sold Ramsdale for £18 million the day we got relegated.
An extra £10-£12m but don't let that worry you

An extra £10-£12m but don't let that worry you

We're selling Ramsdale for £30 million? Thought it was £22 million with potential add-ons, which let's face it Arsenal aren't going to pay us anytime soon with the way they're going.

Every single second the players remain here the more their value drops, would you really be against any of our players being sold at this point?

The only one I would be gutted to see leave would be Egan and Bogle (and Jebbison and Hackford if we include them as first team players)
I'd sell most of them but most of them were worthless after last season so it's a moot point.

I agree that we've pontificated long enough this transfer window. It's like the manager has just seen a light come on in his head and the realisation that our players are shit has just come to him. Before know we've messed about with the likes of Vieira, we need bodies who can actually play immediately, not injured cast-offs. Who'd come to bottom of the Championship though?!

I'd sell most of them but most of them were worthless after last season so it's a moot point.

I agree that we've pontificated long enough this transfer window. It's like the manager has just seen a light come on in his head and the realisation that our players are shit has just come to him. Before know we've messed about with the likes of Vieira, we need bodies who can actually play immediately, not injured cast-offs. Who'd come to bottom of the Championship though?!

'Glad' that we've agreed for once on what is a 'sad' issue :(

I think it was SAF who said 'If you don't refresh the squad, the squad refreshes you'. We still have players here from our League One days FFS (not saying that they should go necessarily but it shows)

We're selling Ramsdale for £30 million? Thought it was £22 million with potential add-ons, which let's face it Arsenal aren't going to pay us anytime soon with the way they're going.
They started at an all-in figure of £20m. They're now at an all-in figure of £30m with the £6m being based on realistic achievements (probably Ramsdale getting into the Arsenal first team, England appearances, Arsenal getting back into Europe, Arsenal winning domestic cups etc)

Back
Top Bottom