CONFIRMED HSBC Sports Ground - New first team training centre

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I assume it will be whole lot. The land bound by Limb Lane, Ash House Lane and Hathersage Road is/was the entirety of HSBC Sports and Social. The 'road' you can see running past the building in the centre is just an access road for the site
Played against Ash House a few times back in the early 80’s. They had a decent team back then.

Have we bought it? Or just signed a contract to buy it if we can get a satisfactory planning permission?
"An agreement is in place for the purchase" can mean a fair few things but the noises are all pointing towards completion being a formality

This is most definitely not an all is forgiven post.

But this is perhaps the most progressive thing the prince has done in terms of long term infrastructure. Long way to go yet, all they've done is agree to buy the grounds.

Long road ahead, let’s hope the planning process bucks the trend and is quicker than 12-18 months.

Indeed.

Let’s also hope that the “agreement“ that “is in place” bears fruit. Unless I’m misreading it (entirely possible), the announcement stops well short of saying that the club will definitely be buying the gaff.

Indeed.

Let’s also hope that the “agreement“ that “is in place” bears fruit. Unless I’m misreading it (entirely possible), the announcement stops well short of saying that the club will definitely be buying the gaff.

I’d expect this to be a subject to planning deal. It’s Green Belt and the scale of it could represent EIA development. Obviously the use is established, but you’ll get a fair degree of scrutiny from the planners (let alone the locals).

Surprised that the plan is to keep Shirecliffe. I wonder where the money's coming from. Elsewhere we're talking about sacking tea ladies to make ends meet. Presumably, as others have said, the cost of the site is added on to the price of the club when PA finds a buyer. There will also be major costs involved in developing the site.

Still, good news and totally unexpected.

Indeed.

It's got some teeth to it I think, and this is Bettis' wheelhouse so I'd doubt he'd completely scupper his rep with anything shady

But it's not "have purchased"

Would be good to have some legacy from the 3 years of PL money that we haven’t spent on wages.

Indeed.

I doubt they would have made that statement unless it was pretty much one hundred percent going to go ahead.

I’d expect this to be a subject to planning deal. It’s Green Belt and the scale of it could represent EIA development. Obviously the use is established, but you’ll get a fair degree of scrutiny from the planners (let alone the locals).
May just have been granted an option to purchase. Call me Mr Eeyore but I worry whether we’ll have the cash (or finance) to complete down the line. You make a good point about SCC planning department. Never been supportive of Blades.

They sent me and a bunch of other lads on community service orders up there in the 80s. I remember it was a nice sunny day and we were supposed to do gardening, but just lay around sunbathing and smoking. One lad was given a tin of white paint and told to paint the men's bogs, and he began with the porcelain urinals. Happy days.
What exactly was HE smoking 😁

Ecclesall Rangers still play there. When it’s not waterlogged and we’ve picked up the dog shit. And filled in the badger holes. And when someone hasn’t drove over the pitch on a quad bike.
My lad used to play for Eccy Rangers and the main reason we shifted was the horrendous 'experience' of every home game. Once you've picked up the dog Shit, filled in the badger holes, dodged the quad bike tracks, you had the sloping pitch, sub-Arctic wind and water-logged pitches from Oct-May... Fair play to the ones that play there every week!

I doubt they would have made that statement unless it was pretty much one hundred percent going to go ahead.

You‘d hope not. Though, at a time when the owner is (in theory) trying, and failing, to sell the club, and we’re playing like a team of blind one-legged 8 year olds, there must be significant pressure to provide evidence that a positive, developmental future is in train, to appeal to potential buyers/investors.

At which point, the suggestion that “an agreement is in place” might appear a little ambiguous?

I just hope there hasn’t been a rush to announce good news before the i’s are properly dotted and the t’s properly crossed, that’s all.

GLTThsbcdeal.

Last edited:
I know nothing of planning rules, but the existing building footprint is pretty big so a decent facility could be built on that, particularly if it were more than one story.

I know nothing of planning rules, but the existing building footprint is pretty big so a decent facility could be built on that, particularly if it were more than one story.
Yeah, I don't see there being any major planning issues. There'll be no change of use, it doesn't overlook anything and there won't be road/infrastructure changes. I'm not sure locals will be that fussed either (well, the ones I've spoken to aren't anyway! 🤣).

I’d also hope that the club have discussed it with planning consultants and the council before making this announcement. It would be pretty embarrassing if the project got cancelled because they couldn’t get planning permission!

Amazing news! Honestly thought of everywhere in Sheffield and surrounding areas if there was anywhere perfect for a training ground it would be the HSBC ground, can’t believe we have got it. Overjoyed at it tbh.

Showing potential players around the training ground and they are stuck in traffic on Rutland RD heading upto Shirecliffe I bet they think doesn’t look to good around here, compare to showing them around HSBC ground in a lovely part of the city with amazingly countryside on the doorstep. A massive step forward for the future of the club 🤩
Depends if they ever fix that fallen wall on Ecclesall Road South just before it. Them temp traffic lights have been there forever. Rutland Road is a dream compared to getting out at top of Whirlowdale Road!

My lad used to play for Eccy Rangers and the main reason we shifted was the horrendous 'experience' of every home game. Once you've picked up the dog Shit, filled in the badger holes, dodged the quad bike tracks, you had the sloping pitch, sub-Arctic wind and water-logged pitches from Oct-May... Fair play to the ones that play there every week!
Well there’s a lot a Ecclesall Rangers teams that play on the HSBC site so it’s going to cause all sorts of problems. We might be getting kicked off limb lane as it’s busy as it is.

I’d also hope that the club have discussed it with planning consultants and the council before making this announcement. It would be pretty embarrassing if the project got cancelled because they couldn’t get planning permission!
You might find there’s kick back from grass roots teams

No but I guess it’s something that could affect planning permission. If it’s not already been granted.
What will? Ecclesall Rangers renting some pitches out? Won’t make a blind bit of difference as they are not owners or tenants so have no say so, plus they have the pitches across the road on the opposite side of limb lane that is their designated home pitches that have nothing to do with hsbc ground.

Back
Top Bottom