Henderson - Latest

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Have a like for some quality punctuation - not many posters on here would have remembered the apostrophe in 'keeper three times.

Thanks for the like.....honestly didn't think anyone noticed or cared. In the past there have been a few threads exactly about this topic. Sometimes the accusation that's been thrown at posters who care about punctuation and grammar has been that of 'grammar nazi', and generally it's happened because there's been a constant flow of 'there' where 'their' was correct. Personally I enjoy grammar and punctuation, if only because it helps me, as a reader, to navigate through posts that are sometimes a little dense.

What I don't do though is stand in any type of judgement concerning the absence of good grammar and punctuation. Not everyone paid attention at school or, come to that, could find any enthusiasm for those topics that would help later in life. I happened to be one of those hapless youngsters who couldn't stand Arithmetic/maths, so it was only because I was drawn into betting shops in my late teens that my interest in numbers didn't sink through the floorboards. Words were a different matter altogether, not only did I love language, I saw the importance of how to break language down so that it made sense. To me there was nothing worse than what you might call a 'block sentence or paragraph' that couldn't be improved by simple, yet intelligent, punctuation.

These days, what I think matters more than anything is the quality of content in a message. I can cut the poster some slack if punctuation's not a strong area for them, as long as the meaning they're trying to convey is comprehensible to me, then give me passion or strength of feeling any day......oh, and before I sign off, I find that with the advent of my mature years I'm making more and more mistakes when it comes to writing. It's not deliberate, but I'm finding that I sometimes miss a word, or that I've misspelt something, so, as vital as language is, I think those of us who have a tendency to readily correct posters who don't share the same attention to detail should step back and judge a poster's words by the content of their posts, rather than lecturing someone in an unhelpful manner.

Thanks for the like.....honestly didn't think anyone noticed or cared. In the past there have been a few threads exactly about this topic. Sometimes the accusation that's been thrown at posters who care about punctuation and grammar has been that of 'grammar nazi', and generally it's happened because there's been a constant flow of 'there' where 'their' was correct. Personally I enjoy grammar and punctuation, if only because it helps me, as a reader, to navigate through posts that are sometimes a little dense.

What I don't do though is stand in any type of judgement concerning the absence of good grammar and punctuation. Not everyone paid attention at school or, come to that, could find any enthusiasm for those topics that would help later in life. I happened to be one of those hapless youngsters who couldn't stand Arithmetic/maths, so it was only because I was drawn into betting shops in my late teens that my interest in numbers didn't sink through the floorboards. Words were a different matter altogether, not only did I love language, I saw the importance of how to break language down so that it made sense. To me there was nothing worse than what you might call a 'block sentence or paragraph' that couldn't be improved by simple, yet intelligent, punctuation.

These days, what I think matters more than anything is the quality of content in a message. I can cut the poster some slack if punctuation's not a strong area for them, as long as the meaning they're trying to convey is comprehensible to me, then give me passion or strength of feeling any day......oh, and before I sign off, I find that with the advent of my mature years I'm making more and more mistakes when it comes to writing. It's not deliberate, but I'm finding that I sometimes miss a word, or that I've misspelt something, so, as vital as language is, I think those of us who have a tendency to readily correct posters who don't share the same attention to detail should step back and judge a poster's words by the content of their posts, rather than lecturing someone in an unhelpful manner.
Couldn’t agree more with every word of that.

Maths should have a capital M by the way 😀😀

Hendo has a choice to make:
  • Either stay at Old Trafford and keep the bench warm; or,
  • Continue making a name for himself at Bramall Lane.
It'd be a no brainer for me.

Or sign for another club?

‘Not everyone paid attention at school or, come to that, could find any enthusiasm for those topics that would help later in life.’

That’s a touch judgemental imo. Some people just can’t do it, can’t learn it. I don’t know why but I see it as the same reason I couldn’t do ‘mechanics’. I really wanted to be able to fix engines and the likes but no matter how hard I tried I was just crap at it.
When my nephew was growing up I used to give him a bit of grief about his atrocious spelling, until my mum told me he’d been diagnosed with quite bad dyslexia (why my sister didn’t tell me before, I don’t know). It was doubly embarrassing as a close mate of mine is also dyslexic and I should have been able to spot it straight away, given I used to proof read all his uni coursework and correct it for him.

I’ve never found it difficult and I have attention deficit problems and fucked about at school (although I did read a lot). It just seemed to come naturally to me, something I’m very grateful for.

Obviously I really want to keep him!!
It would be a huge signing and statement by us if we could pull it off... but why the hell would Man United loan him out again?
He's not only better than their 2nd and 3rd choice keepers, he's better than their Number 1 as well in my eyes.

Hope its true, hope he stays and gets that England spot as well for the World Cup.

‘Not everyone paid attention at school or, come to that, could find any enthusiasm for those topics that would help later in life.’

That’s a touch judgemental imo. Some people just can’t do it, can’t learn it. I don’t know why but I see it as the same reason I couldn’t do ‘mechanics’. I really wanted to be able to fix engines and the likes but no matter how hard I tried I was just crap at it.
When my nephew was growing up I used to give him a bit of grief about his atrocious spelling, until my mum told me he’d been diagnosed with quite bad dyslexia (why my sister didn’t tell me before, I don’t know). It was doubly embarrassing as a close mate of mine is also dyslexic and I should have been able to spot it straight away, given I used to proof read all his uni coursework and correct it for him.

I’ve never found it difficult and I have attention deficit problems and fucked about at school (although I did read a lot). It just seemed to come naturally to me, something I’m very grateful for.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree BB.

I don't see anything I wrote in that post as judgemental, quite the opposite in fact, as I mentioned elsewhere. As kids, not a single one of us could forecast how our lives would shape up. You mentioned that you fucked about, well so did I. The fact that in spite of this you still managed to do well, even possibly excel in certain subjects, is not an uncommon trait. I was drawn to the more creative parts of the curriculum, Art especially. As a kid I considered the likes of Maths, Religious Knowledge (which I hated!), Science, and anything that meant I had to apply myself in ways that I found difficult, well they were lost causes for me.

What I seem to draw from your post is a similarity of what did or didn't come easily for you and I. But how you can construe my post as in any way being judgemental about anyone, especially a child, who struggles in ways I might not recognise, well I guess I'll just have to accept that somewhere within my post you've detected something that suggests I pontificated rather than show empathy. I also noted that you gave your nephew what you described as grief over a subject he struggled with. I wonder if your approach had beneficial outcomes for the child?

As I mentioned in my post, I think that 'lecturing' a child, often something that many adults do unknowingly, can have the opposite effect to the one they had intended. I don't think that some children are lost causes where education is concerned, but the demands placed upon them can feel onerous, a burden in fact, and when that happens it's better to make adjustments to what that child appears to be good at rather than nag them about something they clearly struggle with. To do so can create guilt, even shame, in a child, and the journey that's ahead of them as they approach adulthood can be concerning enough for the child, so to create unwelcome emotional luggage that may remain with the child for the rest of their life has no value whatsoever.

I'm sorry you felt compelled to write regarding what you construed as my 'judgemental' approach to certain aspects of education, that was never my intention. I re-read my post and still struggle to see where I made value judgements about anyone, certainly not a child. I'll return to my post later and see if I've missed something, if so I'll happily apologise for any oversight on my part.

Does he want to nail his colours to the mast ??

That's the question that should be asked, rather than this maybe / maybe not stance

I'd love hime to sign permanently, but if he doesn't want to, then now is the time to bring in a top goalkeeper who is prepared to buy into Tufty's vision of playing in Europe for a proper club

Go on then. How many times did you re-read that before posting?

I think we'll have to agree to disagree BB.

I don't see anything I wrote in that post as judgemental, quite the opposite in fact, as I mentioned elsewhere. As kids, not a single one of us could forecast how our lives would shape up. You mentioned that you fucked about, well so did I. The fact that in spite of this you still managed to do well, even possibly excel in certain subjects, is not an uncommon trait. I was drawn to the more creative parts of the curriculum, Art especially. As a kid I considered the likes of Maths, Religious Knowledge (which I hated!), Science, and anything that meant I had to apply myself in ways that I found difficult, well they were lost causes for me.

What I seem to draw from your post is a similarity of what did or didn't come easily for you and I. But how you can construe my post as in any way being judgemental about anyone, especially a child, who struggles in ways I might not recognise, well I guess I'll just have to accept that somewhere within my post you've detected something that suggests I pontificated rather than show empathy. I also noted that you gave your nephew what you described as grief over a subject he struggled with. I wonder if your approach had beneficial outcomes for the child?

As I mentioned in my post, I think that 'lecturing' a child, often something that many adults do unknowingly, can have the opposite effect to the one they had intended. I don't think that some children are lost causes where education is concerned, but the demands placed upon them can feel onerous, a burden in fact, and when that happens it's better to make adjustments to what that child appears to be good at rather than nag them about something they clearly struggle with. To do so can create guilt, even shame, in a child, and the journey that's ahead of them as they approach adulthood can be concerning enough for the child, so to create unwelcome emotional luggage that may remain with the child for the rest of their life has no value whatsoever.

I'm sorry you felt compelled to write regarding what you construed as my 'judgemental' approach to certain aspects of education, that was never my intention. I re-read my post and still struggle to see where I made value judgements about anyone, certainly not a child. I'll return to my post later and see if I've missed something, if so I'll happily apologise for any oversight on my part.
Well, I did quote the bit that I found judgemental, as it implies that anyone who can’t spell either wasn’t interested in learning or wasn’t paying attention.

Why would Deano choose Man United over the original United when we have a better chance of offering Champions League football than them? 🤣

I think written down it looks worse than it is but I can see where he's coming from. Put it this way, if he's playing for Man U and he lets one through his legs against Liverpool, the reaction from the crowd is vastly different from the one he got from us when it happened.
That is probably justification of the initial comments made, Man Utd are in a different stratosphere to us and that’s due to them been the biggest club in the world, not Yorkshire.

That is probably justification of the initial comments made, Man Utd are in a different stratosphere to us and that’s due to them been the biggest club in the world, not Yorkshire.
Always thought Manchester was Lancashire county wise. Apparently not......

Manchester is in the county of Greater Manchester. This was formed in 1974 as a combination of parts of Lancashire, Cheshire, The West Riding of Yorkshire and eight independent county boroughs. Before this, the main part of Manchester was part of the county of Lancashire.

Manchester is in the county of Greater Manchester. This was formed in 1974 as a combination of parts of Lancashire, Cheshire, The West Riding of Yorkshire and eight independent county boroughs. Before this, the main part of Manchester was part of the county of Lancashire.
West Riding of YORKSHIRE is in the county of Greater Manchester, then? 😮 Wow. Everyday's a school day 👍

The talk at the time last year was they were asking for a ridiculous amount from us. This time it will be even greater. We should put a realistic offer in the table to buy him and if they don't accept look elsewhere. He's good but replaceable. He's not the sole reason for our clean sheets, our defence has been great.

Well, I did quote the bit that I found judgemental, as it implies that anyone who can’t spell either wasn’t interested in learning or wasn’t paying attention.

That wasn't a judgemental comment, it was an observation based on the behaviour of some of my peers who, by the time they'd reached their very early teens, weren't the least bit interested in education. They, by which I'm referring to some, not all, of them, were far more interested in what they imagined adulthood would offer them. Whether that's the same now I've no idea, but I do have personal, and very recent experience of sharing the experiences of young males and females, and in doing so it seems to be a continuation of what I've witnessed over the last 60 years plus.

I've observed, I've listened, and when required, I've responded to the queries and curiosities of what were once my peer group, and it eventually lead me to become a senior citizen who could, when needed, offer advice about this, that, or whatever. I'd like to think that whatever I said was balanced, sometimes a difficult thing to offer if violence was involved, but I tried, perhaps not always successfully but always in the hope that what I said would point someone in a direction that offered more positive life experiences.

But returning to your comment that what I said was, in your opinion, judgemental. I'm replying and saying in the straightest terms possible, that at no time has it even crossed my mind about adopting a point of view that's judgemental. Life isn't simple, and the reasons why young people sometimes embrace this or that choice, is often based on complex social reasons. If I thought otherwise then yes, I might consider it ok to offer a judgemental point of view, but on this occasion that wasn't the case, hope that clears that up for you.

West Riding of YORKSHIRE is in the county of Greater Manchester, then? 😮 Wow. Everyday's a school day 👍
No, parts of Greater Manchester were formerly in the west riding. Same as parts of Sheffield used to be in Derbyshire.

Thanks for the geography lesson, clearly you misunderstood the point as you couldn’t get it off Google.
They’re the biggest team in the world, it’s not rocket science pal.

I would expect Man U to be happy to let him go on loan to a club playing in the Europa or Champions League, so why not us ?

No, parts of Greater Manchester were formerly in the west riding. Same as parts of Sheffield used to be in Derbyshire.

Eh?

"For centuries Saddleworth was linked, ecclesiastically, with the parish of Rochdale and was long talked of as the part of Yorkshire where Lancastrians lived.[6] The former Saddleworth Urban District was the only part of the West Riding to have been amalgamated into Greater Manchester in 1974.[1]"

Eh?

"For centuries Saddleworth was linked, ecclesiastically, with the parish of Rochdale and was long talked of as the part of Yorkshire where Lancastrians lived.[6] The former Saddleworth Urban District was the only part of the West Riding to have been amalgamated into Greater Manchester in 1974.[1]"

Yes, it was in the west riding of Yorkshire and now it’s part of Greater Manchester, which is what I said. Read the post I was replying to.

Yes, it was in the west riding of Yorkshire and now it’s part of Greater Manchester, which is what I said. Read the post I was replying to.

Sorry mate, I thought you were saying it wasn't.

First post for weeks and I got it arse about tit. That'll learn me!

Are we allowed to mention how poor he's been since the re-start?

He's looked a bit like he's got the face on about something, maybe because we've lost ground on the top 4? I'd back him to be a bit more like himself now we've got a bit of positivity.

That first disallowed goal from Kane, that was shocking keeping by my eye though.

He's looked a bit like he's got the face on about something, maybe because we've lost ground on the top 4? I'd back him to be a bit more like himself now we've got a bit of positivity.

That first disallowed goal from Kane, that was shocking keeping by my eye though.

The disallowed goal was shocking, it was almost like he had stopped and didn't actually try to save it. There's been a few more questionable things from him since the restart

Back
Top Bottom