Heckingbottom Out

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Why do people keep going on about Heckingbottom?

He's just a patsy who has been thrown in until the end of the season because he's cheap and he's happy to have a go at pretending to be a Premier League manager for a couple of months.

He'll be gone after the Burnley match.

He's not the manager of Sheffield United and he never will be.

The media are clutching at straws. They know as much as we do. They have very little to go on and not being fed much info from the club, only gossip. They have to come up with some story to sell their papers and for the radio stations to maintain their listeners to keep their advertisers happy. They can't say, 'We know nowt' can they. It is just as bad for them if they don't cover the story at all, so they come out with bullshit headlines, which is probably a long way from the truth.

I just get this feeling there may be a tug of war taking place. Bettis is wanting Hecky and the Prince wanting to go foreign, with the board split also. Just hope the Prince, as the owner, makes sure he has the final and so important vote.
As the weeks are unfolding it's quite obvious from the social media platforms, that although Hecky is good for the youth setup, he's certainly not the fans choice to take over as head coach/manager and I'm convinced this will already have been noted by the board, but more importantly, the Prince. If he values the club as much as we do, then I trust him to get it right.

I think we do need to shift ourselves out of the 'plucky, cheap, working-class, northern town football club' persona we have held for years and start looking and acting like a force to be reckoned with. Odd how the pigs managed it a few years back and still have some sort of aura about them as a 'big club' whereas we have always seemed like some sort of bargain basement version of them. This has to stop. We had Bassett, who gave us a Wimbledonesque mystique but we were always destined to fail to sustain any momentum, however fleeting our success, and then Warnock who Sheffieldised the club somewhat but we still looked like imposters, whether trying and failing to be promoted, or even later actually playing in the Premier League. Wilder is almost a carbon copy of that, except he hadn't the agility to make changes (in the case of Warnock, sometimes bafflingly crap) and furthermore spunked valuable resources on dud players showing his true naivety. Then he bailed before the ultimate humiliation descended and allowed a makeweight to ship the pelters.

This next appointment HAS to be meaningful and effective. We can't afford to just hand the reins to a clearly incapable Heckingbottom, and can't afford to bring in lukewarm crap like Appleton or PL unknowns like Blessin. We also can't be dicking about with surprise, fringe gambles like Curbishley, Hughes and any other strange, stupid appointments who will invariable divide the fanbase further. We need a name who has kudos and attracts capable players and we need one who plays a system which is nowhere near this ridiculous one we play at the moment. And he needs to have the potatoes to terminate effectively our dealings with some players who believe they have a future next season playing the same shit they have this season and utilise restricted resources to bring in experience, control and ability. That needs to be on show from the first whistle to the last and if we do lose, it needs to be in games where we are 'beaten' and not 'rolled over'.

This is why I think HRH is taking his time.

pommpey

I think we do need to shift ourselves out of the 'plucky, cheap, working-class, northern town football club' persona we have held for years and start looking and acting like a force to be reckoned with. Odd how the pigs managed it a few years back and still have some sort of aura about them as a 'big club' whereas we have always seemed like some sort of bargain basement version of them. This has to stop. We had Bassett, who gave us a Wimbledonesque mystique but we were always destined to fail to sustain any momentum, however fleeting our success, and then Warnock who Sheffieldised the club somewhat but we still looked like imposters, whether trying and failing to be promoted, or even later actually playing in the Premier League. Wilder is almost a carbon copy of that, except he hadn't the agility to make changes (in the case of Warnock, sometimes bafflingly crap) and furthermore spunked valuable resources on dud players showing his true naivety. Then he bailed before the ultimate humiliation descended and allowed a makeweight to ship the pelters.

This next appointment HAS to be meaningful and effective. We can't afford to just hand the reins to a clearly incapable Heckingbottom, and can't afford to bring in lukewarm crap like Appleton or PL unknowns like Blessin. We also can't be dicking about with surprise, fringe gambles like Curbishley, Hughes and any other strange, stupid appointments who will invariable divide the fanbase further. We need a name who has kudos and attracts capable players and we need one who plays a system which is nowhere near this ridiculous one we play at the moment. And he needs to have the potatoes to terminate effectively our dealings with some players who believe they have a future next season playing the same shit they have this season and utilise restricted resources to bring in experience, control and ability. That needs to be on show from the first whistle to the last and if we do lose, it needs to be in games where we are 'beaten' and not 'rolled over'.

pommpey

Best times as a blade for me, under Bassett/Warnock/Wilder. I'm far too northern to want to get away from being a "plucky cheap working class club"

We should embrace what we are and not delude ourselves like the massive

pommpey
There is an assumption that we can attract managers better than H. I am not sure that we are that attractive.
I remember those on here who were aghast that a manager from L2 was being appointed and look what happened.

pommpey
Great post although I’ve been a Blade for far to long to believe that we’re going to get one of those managers, we’ll end up with Hecky if we can’t get Blessin...which will be god awful, I live in hope that the prince realises how important getting someone in who is meaningful and effective as you say.

Back
Top Bottom