Heckingbottom Out, Wilder In

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Heckingbottom Out, Wilder In

• Good Idea

Votes: 82 9.3%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 797 90.7%

• Total voters
Were you posting under this username from McBurnie signing? Search facility says no.

As l said. Not very bright.
Yes. I saw that post, suspicions confirmed and onto ignore he goes just like his previous incarnation. I just don't have time to put up with his bullshit

Wilder spent £48m, Heckingbottom has spent £64m (figures taken from transfermrkt.com).

Yes Heckingbottom lost his best player and Berge, but let's not pretend he hasn't been given cash to replace them. Wilder also lost one of his most important players in Duffy, that meant he had to reshape the team.

Edit: Those figures should be Euros, but it makes no difference to the point.
Wilder also sold DCL and Brooks. I know not in the premier league. But Wilder had to sell his best championship players.

I will never understand a comparison between the two. One is far far clear.

People's opinions about Wilder are so skewed by his last season.

1/5 seasons didn't go well (there is even excuses for this)

4/5 seasons Excellent

Claiming he was bad at transfers is also laughable given he built the team that got us higher than alot of blades had ever seen before.

It was sad how it ended, he had the look of a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders. I'm not even convinced he should take over but his time with us overall was outstanding and unfortunately likely to be the best I will see of this club.

I just don't get this bring back CW kick.?

Why did CW. walk away last time ? and what has changed at the club to make some confident it' would be any different this time ?
And why is it the same people, who were so confident that the TEAM we had would come straight back down again,
are now saying it's the managers tactic's that are at fault ?...... :tumbleweed:

But they were both relatively unknown managerial appointments. I think most of our fanbase would lose their shit if we appointed someone like that at this stage.
We'll be looking for a manager that has PL experience, or at least Championship. Probably British
If we had properly rich new owners the likelihood would be that they were from overseas. Also, having invested serious dosh to acquire & run the club, I don’t think they would be too bothered about the small minded parochialism of a proportion of our support. So I would expect them to cast the net a bit wider. I would also hope they did.

I just don't get this bring back CW kick.?

Why did CW. walk away last time ? and what has changed at the club to make some confident it' would be any different this time ?
And why is it the same people, who were so confident that the TEAM we had would come straight back down again,
are now saying it's the managers tactic's that are at fault ?...... :tumbleweed:
Our most successful manager maybe ever. You’re not sure why.

This message board is going down hill fast.

Hopefully by the the time we open our Championship campaign we have a new owner and Rosenior in place.

Patience is key, let us hope that Saturday was just a blip, and see how the next few weeks pan out.

Knee jerk reaction is not something that should shape our season.

I have some genuine concerns for next season.

I'm not even convinced we've seen enough to suggest we'll be outstanding in the division below.

The main cheat code, Archer, at that level is going to be winging his way back to Villa after a year's glorified work experience.

That leaves us 2/3 of the way to the requisite 30m relegated teams seem to need to raise. I'm fine with McBurnie if he can be fit. But I haven't seen much in Traore to suggest if he's dropped one level lower he'll tear it up. I'm not sure how we get Osula from inconsistent League One player to out of depth Premiership player and then to Championship high performer. Jebbo has dropped off the radar; I do hope he alright but he's not having a year of progression right now. You're really then hoping the world's most expensive cheerleader can come good in what outrageously could be his final year with us. So we can hardly say all the bricks are in place up top.

As long as Wes is fit, I've no issue there.

Defensively we'll have to spend some money, something we don't like doing. Basham will be 36. If he's around he can surely only be last choice defender. We need to probably go and get someone like Dion Sanderson with a view to getting some genuine competition in the Anel/Egan roles. Robbo and Trusty should be ok but then we need to really settle the left back spot. Will Norrington-Davies return or is he cursed like O'Connell? Is Boyes going to emerge? Or any other lad? Would you bother returning Lowe? George and Bogle are worth keeping.

In midfield are the new signings here for the long term or for a short stepping stone? Hamer could certainly give us impetus if he remained; at 26 he's old enough to not quite be the shiny new thing top clubs covet. Is Souza a bit of a luxury at that level? Will he move on? Having a sitter who doesn't create might not be something we want to have if the aim moves from defend to win most matches. You'd hope Arblaster could become a starter or first one off the bench. Then who? Pushing our luck with a 33 year old Norwood. Or would that become Arblaster's role? Neal seems to be failing to make the grade at Stevenage. Could Davies stay and be relied upon? Would he have enough output for a team chasing promotion? Would Slimane be the gem to emerge?

We'd most likely need a few loans to once more paper over the cracks. However it still feels a work in progress rather than some oven ready promotion team.

We're not really any further forward in terms of quality are we? We're a bit same but different with Hamer being the one that might do something unexpected instead of Ndiaye.

Last edited:
Doesn't make sense

Wilder looks like he'll be on maternity leave in the coming months.

I have some genuine concerns for next season.

I'm not even convinced we've seen enough to suggest we'll be outstanding in the division below.

The main cheat code, Archer, at that level is going to be winging his way back to Villa after a year's glorified work experience.

That leaves us 2/3 of the way to the requisite 30m relegated teams seem to need to raise. I'm fine with McBurnie if he can be fit. But I haven't seen much in Traore to suggest if he's dropped one level lower he'll tear it up. I'm not sure how we get Osula from inconsistent League One player to out of depth Premiership player and then to Championship high performer. Jebbo has dropped off the radar; I do hope he alright but he's not having a year of progression right now. You're really then hoping the world's most expensive cheerleader can come good in what outrageously could be his final year with us. So we can hardly say all the bricks are in place up top.

As long as Wes is fit, I've no issue there.

Defensively we'll have to spend some money, something we don't like doing. Basham will be 36. If he's around he can surely only be last choice defender. We need to probably go and get someone like Dion Sanderson with a view to getting some genuine competition in the Anel/Egan roles. Robbo and Trusty should be ok but then we need to really settle the left back spot. Will Norrington-Davies return or is he cursed like O'Connell? Is Boyes going to emerge? Or any other lad? Would you bother returning Lowe? George and Bogle are worth keeping.

In midfield are the new signings here for the long term or for a short stepping stone? Hamer could certainly give us impetus of he remained; at 26 he's old enough to not quite be the shiny new thing top clubs covet. Is Souza a bit of a luxury at that level? Will he move on? Having a sitter who doesn't create might not be something we want to have if the aim moves from defend to win most matches. You'd hope Arblaster could become a starter or first one off the bench. Then who? Pushing our luck with a 33 year old Norwood. Or would that become Arblaster's role? Neal seems to be failing to make the grade at Stevenage. Could Davies stay and be relied upon? Would he have enough output for a team chasing promotion? Would Slimane be the gem to emerge?

We'd most likely need a few loans to once more paper over the gaps. However it still feels a work in progress rather than some oven ready promotion team.

We're not really any further forward in terms of quality are we? We're a bit same but different with Hamer being the one that might do something unexpected instead of Ndiaye.
What an excellent post,we began the campaign with some players probably unaware they'd be playing in the most £squillionly run league in English football,trying to come to terms with it,it's not good,for whatever reason.

I keep seeing the "left through the back door" thing being given as a reason to never employ Chris Wilder again. What does that even mean?

As far as I'm aware, Wilder never gave his reasons for leaving and the only message we got was an open letter highlighting his love for the club. It didn't read to me as anything other than a message from someone who wanted the very best for Sheffield United.

Prince Abdullah gave an interview and stated the reasons he believed Wilder wanted to resign, the first time...

"Chris explained in one-hour call why he wanted to resign. I can assure you there was no talk about the director of football, about roof leak or playing grounds or anything. He just said he felt that the team needed change, they needed a new voice. And these results were a big toll on him and the team."

..and after persuading him to stay, the second time....

"I’m not blaming him for quitting or resigning, quitting is a bad word. I think really he felt, or at least that’s what he told us and what he told the vice chairman in the one-hour call, that there are no reasons. He said he didn’t have any offers. The only reason that he think the locker room needs a new voice. He thinks that he’s burned, he gave it all. He tried everything he can and it’s not working."

Then the Prince gave his own opinion on Chris's thoughts:

"I don’t blame him for resigning, I’m sure the pressures of Premier League, the pressure of the worst start in the top five divisions in English history is not easy and of course Chris is in front, after every defeat he has to talk to the media. Me or Sheffield United fans, we lose, we get upset, we get mad but we turn off the TV or you take a walk or whatever, but for him it's difficult."

Those reasons seem very understandable to me. It would also seem the honourable thing to do, rather than an egotistical thing as some suggest, to admit things aren't working and to offer to step aside. Prince Abdullah experienced all this first hand and has gone on record as quite clearly stating he didn't blame him for it (and also giving him glowing references as a manager - except his transfer policy), so what is this issue some fans have with it? Was he supposed to just keep going even it was affecting him, and clearly wasn't working for the club, until the board decided to sack him?

I think it would have been far worse if things were going well and he jumped ship for another club or more money.

Wilder spent £48m, Heckingbottom has spent £64m (figures taken from transfermrkt.com).

Yes Heckingbottom lost his best player and Berge, but let's not pretend he hasn't been given cash to replace them. Wilder also lost one of his most important players in Duffy, that meant he had to reshape the team.

Edit: Those figures should be Euros, but it makes no difference to the point.

Wilder did not "lose" Duffy. Wilder kicked him out.
Felt shocking at the time, still does.

Regards the decision to bring back Chris....some people are personalising it
and because they've been hurt....they'd rather cut off their own nose to spite their face.
"Never again", "he couldn't handle the pressure and walked out on us:, "the guy became arrogant and got too big for his boots".
Agree Wilder is quite arrogant, has confidence and charisma, that's because he's a leader and a winner, doesn't accept mediocrity.
Wilder has a bit of the Warnock's about him, meaning he's box office and good with the media in a headline writing way.
Fans around the country have heard of Chris Wilder and would be interested how he copes if he returns.
Where as I don't think many fans around the country have even heard of Paul Heckingbottam, no one is interested.

Regards the return of Wilder It's a bit like having an old girlfriend who makes you the happiest you've even been.
You have so any things in common, life is great.
Then out of the blue...she says she's unhappy and is emigrating to Australia by herself.
You're devastated but gradually get a new girlfriend...that initially seems good, it's a safe boring relationship that's gradually going down hill.

Then you hear that the ex girlfriend you were madly in love with is returning to Sheffield 3 years later.
You find out she's single and regrets leaving you. Basically you know you have a great chance of re-uniting.

So the question is do you stay with the safe underwhelming girlfriend or get back together with the love of your life.
It's a tough one...things aren't always the same the second time around but you're current relationship isn't really going anywhere.

and because they've been hurt....they'd rather cut off their own nose to spite their face.
"Never again", "he couldn't handle the pressure and walked out on us:, "the guy became arrogant and got too big for his boots".
Agree Wilder is quite arrogant, has confidence and charisma, that's because he's a leader and a winner, doesn't accept mediocrity.
Wilder has a bit of the Warnock's about him, meaning he's box office and good with the media in a headline writing way.
Fans around the country have heard of Chris Wilder and would be interested how he copes if he returns.
Where as I don't think many fans around the country have even heard of Paul Heckingbottam, no one is interested.

Regards the return of Wilder It's a bit like having an old girlfriend who makes you the happiest you've even been.
Then out of the blue...she says she's unhappy and is emigrating to Australia by herself.
You're devastated but gradually get a new girlfriend...that initially seems good, it's a safe boring relationship that's gradually going down hill.

Then you hear that the ex girlfriend you were madly in love with is returning to Sheffield 3 years later.
You find out she's single and regrets leaving you. Basically you know you have a great chance of re-uniting.

So the question is do you stay with the safe underwhelming girlfriend or get back together with the love of your life.
It's a tough one...things aren't always the same the second time around but you're current relationship isn't really going anywhere.

Does the ex-girlfriend swallow?

Journalist: Chris, what do you say to those who say you left out of the back door?

CW: I don’t care what all these snowflake woke fairies say, i know what ive done for the cl…

Shudders

And every time he bemoans a lack of funds, if the journalist doesn't point out the rumoured £4m he trousered as he left by the fire exit....

I think I am right in saying that The Prince said, on record, that he wanted Chris Wilder to stay and that he thought he was the right man to bring us straight back up.

Speculation, at the time, was that Chris didn't want a relegation on his CV, so resigned. No idea if that was true or not.

My original question, from another thread, still stands; what would a new manager do with these players?, would he set up differently? If not, what is the point of bringing one in?

We have our 25 man squad. It's done. There are only so many permutations we can have with the lads who make up the first team.

If people are saying that the team are not playing for Hecky, I don't think that is true.

There was someone on Twitter saying (yesterday, I think), something along the lines of "no wonder the team played like they did, getting told that information 10 minutes before kick off".

What information?

By the way, I have no issue with Chris Wilder, and spent a great Sunday afternoon with him and his missus (and me with mine) over a good few pints of beer, talking about the Blades, when he was managing Boro. Really good lad.

Wilder hasn't got over himself and his performance at Boro and Watford prove that.

The way he left the club has never sat well with me. I thought Chris was better than that. PA never wanted him to go and neither did most of the fans.

He certainly can't return and assume his old tactics will work either, he will need to come to the table with new ideas.

Back
Top Bottom