Heckingbottom Out, Wilder In

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Heckingbottom Out, Wilder In

• Good Idea

Votes: 82 9.3%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 797 90.7%

• Total voters
Yes, he was a bit too “matter of fact” about it. Are we to expect 4 or 5 more drubbings like this, and have to accept it?
I don't think his after the match interview was bad at all. His guts will have been churning, his mind frazzled. But he came across well, he spoke well, like he said-

'No point feeling sorry for yourselves - pick yourself up onto the next match'

No change of manager will change our fortunes this year- the sensible thing to do is STICK- would be far wiser to let him have this and next year regardless of division.

Not saying he should go
I don't think his after the match interview was bad at all. His guts will have been churning, his mind frazzled. But he came across well, he spoke well, like he said-

'No point feeling sorry for yourselves - pick yourself up onto the next match'

No change of manager will change our fortunes this year- it's the sensible thing to do to STICK- would be far wiser to let him have this and next year regardless of division.
I don’t think he should be going anywhere, I just didn’t like his apparent acceptance of this heavy a defeat as being expected.

Exactly. We might well lose more by a lot of goals, but saying it’s expected suggests it’s ok.

Usually if you expect something that you have a degree of control over, it’ll happen. Sets the wrong mindset entirely and is just a losers mentality IMO.

Yeah the "we prepare for games knowing our best won't be good enough" comment also not really desirable.

We will get beat often, fans are prepared for it, but the team shouldn't be. Needs to be more steel, because if we don't have the mental resolve, we might as well go home.

Not saying he should go

I don’t think he should be going anywhere, I just didn’t like his apparent acceptance of this heavy a defeat as being expected.
0-8- no one in their right mind expects that- it's an insane scoreline. But come on - we all expect this team to get battered now and again this season.

I thought Newcastle and Anthony Gordon especially were rampant yesterday- thought the drop off in attitude second half for us was apalling.

But I did think Hecky stood up and spoke well in his interview you have to respect that.

My son's lining up a psychology degree.

I think you'd make a good case study for him.

I once went to the zoo, and spent a few minutes observing the Gorillas and watching their behaviour.

There was 4 gorillas in there, 3 of them was sat around not doing very much at all and appeared to quite content and happy in their enclosure. The 4th one looked bored, and he was flinging excrement at the wall, and well as smearing himself with it. It was almost like he was making himself look like a clown in the Gorilla world to gain the attention from the other Gorillas.

Now I'm no Desmond Morris but I've often wondered if this sort of behaviour in the Gorilla world is aped in Human Beings?

Like it or not…I think Hecky has 4 more games to show some progress. Although tough games vs West Ham, Fulham, Man U & Arsenal….. if we are at P-10,W-0,D-1,L-9 and suffer heavy defeats - no Manager will survive that. At that point I can see the Prince rolling the dice & appointing Chris W again, hoping he came rekindle the pre-Covid Bramall Lane fortress with a hostile atmosphere. I doubt he could as too much has changed….but I think this would happen.

Like it or not…I think Hecky has 4 more games to show some progress. Although tough games vs West Ham, Fulham, Man U & Arsenal….. if we are at P-10,W-0,D-1,L-9 and suffer heavy defeats - no Manager will survive that. At that point I can see the Prince rolling the dice & appointing Chris W again, hoping he came rekindle the pre-Covid Bramall Lane fortress with a hostile atmosphere. I doubt he could as too much has changed….but I think this would happen.
Hecky's jobs safe- he ain't going anywhere. He's here until end of next season regardless.

The Wilder bollox is just that- the Prince realises changing this season utterly pointless- he's already given Hecky vote of confidence, and that is completely correct decision.

Can you really see Wilder improving things- exactly- and thats what the Prince thinks as well.

Not saying he should go

I don’t think he meant that - he was in the headlights at the time - ffs , I couldn’t order my fish and chips correctly on the way home .

He prob means that it’s expected to be heavily outclassed on quite a few occasions

Stick with him

Ffs - look at the tools he’s been given - the amazing thing so far is how we have managed to stay in games .

We’re down - that’s not being defeatist, it’s the reality we face when trying to compete with ultra , well drilled , skilful , fast , athletic footballers .

The gap is so hugh it’s scary

Hecky's jobs safe- he ain't going anywhere. He's here until end of next season regardless.

The Wilder bollox is just that- the Prince realises changing this season utterly pointless- he's already given Hecky vote of confidence, and that is completely correct decision.

Can you really see Wilder improving things- exactly- and thats what the Prince thinks as well.
Are you the Prince? As you seem to know his inner thinkings.

I don’t think he meant that - he was in the headlights at the time - ffs , I couldn’t order my fish and chips correctly on the way home .

He prob means that it’s expected to be heavily outclassed on quite a few occasions

Stick with him

Ffs - look at the tools he’s been given - the amazing thing so far is how we have managed to stay in games .

We’re down - that’s not being defeatist, it’s the reality we face when trying to compete with ultra , well drilled , skilful , fast , athletic footballers .

The gap is so hugh it’s scary
We faced similar ultra well-drilled, skillful, fast, athletic footballers first season up under Wilder.
Hecky's had a very tough summer but equally giving him a free pass doesn't really stack up.

On what basis do we expect to do better than Luton having lost 3 of our 4 best players in Doyle, Berge and Ndiaye?
They beat us at home last year didn't they?
We finished a long way clear of Luton in the table and including this year will have spent three of the last five years in the Prem with all the additional cash that involves.
Add in attendances three times higher and it's not unreasonable to have higher expectations.

What concerned me, was when hecky stated pre-season, he wanted to keep , Fleck, Norwood, Stevens and Sharp. Does he not see what the fans do???? Bash, Fleck, and sadly Norwood, are the old guard, their time has been and gone. What they did under Wilder was awesome, sadly that ship has sailed into the scrapyard.
We need a fresh approach now, and I do not think Wilder is right for the job, as it is at this time.
The real problem now, if hecky goes, who comes in????? A proven premier League manager????? No one will want to touch us with a barge pole.
If there are no changes to that side on Saturday, with the exception of Baldock, Oil Mac, coming back in, I fear , and i so hope i am wrong, we could set the record for the earliest team relegated.

I like Hecky a lot. He doesn’t deserve to be sacked yet, that’s why I’ve voted no… BUT, if we are looking for another manager can we please for the love of god, get someone who will make us play 4 at the back. Sick to fucking death of seeing it now, no good side play with 3 at the back anymore. We’re going down anyway can we just use this season to try and cement a new system ready for next year?

Like who? ( Genuine question)
Depends on exactly how rich the new owner was. For example, Man City opted for Pep Guardiola. So it would depend on the degree of wealth. Wilder wouldn’t feature on any list if a new owner had more wealth than the Prince. We would be looking for a Thomas Frank or Roberto de Zerbi type of appointment.

We would be looking for a Thomas Frank or Roberto de Zerbi type of appointment.
But they were both relatively unknown managerial appointments. I think most of our fanbase would lose their shit if we appointed someone like that at this stage.
We'll be looking for a manager that has PL experience, or at least Championship. Probably British

Back
Top Bottom