Heckingbottom Out, Wilder In

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Heckingbottom Out, Wilder In

• Good Idea

Votes: 82 9.3%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 797 90.7%

• Total voters
If we were bottom of the league after 15 matches and had lost several by big scores then I may view it differently but even then, I can't see another manager getting anymore from the team than Hecky does because the players seem to really like him, he's done well for United and for all this talk of he's naïve at tactics, I think a lot of it is too many players making errors. Larouci v Man City for example, the lack of marking at times, I very much doubt that's Hecky's instruction, we've had some bad luck with refereeing decisions too, but that's to be expected. Some criticise the squad depth and rightly so, but again this isn't Hecky's fault. I'm sure if he could he'd have signed more quality players but the budget wasn't ever going to be there for spending spree like Burnley.

The fact Hecky has been left with just two, TWO, experienced fit strikers is a joke too, when we didn't sign anyone as cover that last week I thought the board are effectively saying they're ok to go down because you can't succeed easily with just two fit and experienced striker (I say experienced strikers, it's not like Archer is that either).

As for Wilder coming back, if Hecky goes and Wilder is the best candidate for the job then I'd welcome him back but I didn't like how those last few months Wilder became much more critical and negative, to an extent understandably so, but I'm not so sure he's changed from that and the players we have now are not the same as he left that would run through a brick wall for him.

If we were bottom of the league after 15 matches and had lost several by big scores then I may view it differently but even then, I can't see another manager getting anymore from the team than Hecky does because the players seem to really like him, he's done well for United and for all this talk of he's naïve at tactics, I think a lot of it is too many players making errors. Larouci v Man City for example, the lack of marking at times, I very much doubt that's Hecky's instruction, we've had some bad luck with refereeing decisions too, but that's to be expected. Some criticise the squad depth and rightly so, but again this isn't Hecky's fault. I'm sure if he could he'd have signed more quality players but the budget wasn't ever going to be there for spending spree like Burnley.

As for Wilder coming back, if Hecky goes and Wilder is the best candidate for the job then I'd welcome him back but I didn't like how those last few months Wilder became much more critical and negative, to an extent understandably so, but I'm not so sure he's changed from that and the players we have now are not the same as he left that would run through a brick wall for him.

Genuine question , how many times did we play well last season ?

And yes results count , but usually good peformances = Results , Bad performances dont get results

The fact Hecky has been left with just two, TWO, experienced fit strikers is a joke too, when we didn't sign anyone as cover that last week I thought the board are effectively saying they're ok to go down because you can't succeed easily with just two fit and experienced striker (I say experienced strikers, it's not like Archer is that either).

If he loses the dressing room, that will be the time to give him marching orders.
A series of displays like Saturday would indicate that.

Bottom of the league after 15, but competing like we did in the first 5 games and I'd 100% stick with him. I think he's earned this season providing the above scenario doesn't unfold.

If he loses on weekend he gone I feel.

If he loses the dressing room, that will be the time to give him marching orders.
A series of displays like Saturday would indicate that.

Bottom of the league after 15, but competing like we did in the first 5 games and I'd 100% stick with him. I think he's earned this season providing the above scenario doesn't unfold.

That's how I see it too.
Think the vast majority of Blades still support Hecky but many now have varying degrees of reservations/ concerns.
The reaction when facing adversity will tell us a lot. What will be Heckys game tactics? Will we just put everyone in defence and hardly venture into their half?
Will the players shows massive effort and team spirit? Will he made good substitutions at the right time to swing the game in our favour?

Regards the pressure on Hecky makes me wonder if the Prince has had words with him regards muscle injuries picked up in training.
Of course initially you would say it's just bad luck.....but our injuries are so common and continuous....logic says it can't be bad luck.
Can only be Hecky training methods. Daft as it sounds maybe it's the injuries that might be an incentive in the Prince giving Hecky the chop.

If he loses on weekend he gone I feel.

A book maker came on Talksport yesterday and gave the odds for the next PL manager to be sacked.
They did mention that Hecky was the clear 1st favourite to be the next sacked manager.

The fans should know the lads and Hecky aren't that bad. in fact I wouldn't bel surprised if the players weren't so pissed off with the way Premiershit Ref's are so bias in favour of the money clubs, that they just stopped trying in protest at how bias it all is.
We were holding our own till the handball goal, and then the booking for a fair tackle!!, meant they couldn't even tackle without some one getting sent off again.
Yes I know these clubs pay a fortune for their big named players, but should that mean the game has to be fixed to protect their investment.
And it's not just us, it's any of the none rich unpopular Clubs that make it to the Ptremiershit..
The big money men want to control their own plastic, by invitation only,, world wide Circus,
And boy do I hope they get it
and piss off

Last Sundays defeat imo was down to the psychology of the players rather than lack of ability (there was a bit of that as well) they felt things were going against them and their heads dropped, fantastically so, and to me there was a glimpse of that for the defeat at spurs, when the equaliser went in there wasn't a determination to get an excellent draw, but there was a collective pissed offness, and I think that psychological factor needs addressing Pronto.
Survival depends on turning defeats into draws and draws into wins, and this flaw within the players is worrying, heckys tactics/plans are worthless if he doesn't instill that never say die, eff em attitude, whether he or any of the backroom staff can do that is the difference between him keeping his job or losing it

The back three needs to go but Hecky doesn’t. It does seem to have an air of it inevitability about it though, just hope we don’t compound a poor decision with an even poorer one by re-employing Wilder.
The back 3 will be playing next game and the one after etc etc (barring injury/suspension) we've no money to replace them UNTIL we have a moneybags owner.😟😟

We need a big change if there is any hope of turning this around. With confidence shot and no hope of it changing, it is all uphill.

This is surely going to be Wilder come back soon.

That's how I see it too.
Think the vast majority of Blades still support Hecky but many now have varying degrees of reservations/ concerns.
The reaction when facing adversity will tell us a lot. What will be Heckys game tactics? Will we just put everyone in defence and hardly venture into their half?
Will the players shows massive effort and team spirit? Will he made good substitutions at the right time to swing the game in our favour?

Regards the pressure on Hecky makes me wonder if the Prince has had words with him regards muscle injuries picked up in training.
Of course initially you would say it's just bad luck.....but our injuries are so common and continuous....logic says it can't be bad luck.
Can only be Hecky training methods. Daft as it sounds maybe it's the injuries that might be an incentive in the Prince giving Hecky the chop.
Not just us suffering from injuries it would seem................

I’d be amazed if he isn’t here by Wolves at home. Will he sooner than that though. Pressure will be immense when we lose to Fulham next Saturday.
Big Sam said Wilder told him he doesn't see himself returning to the club and said a fresh face would be better for the club

The back three needs to go but Hecky doesn’t. It does seem to have an air of it inevitability about it though, just hope we don’t compound a poor decision with an even poorer one by re-employing Wilder.
He hasn’t played with anything other than Wilders formation in his entirety of his time with Sheffield United even the youth team.

Not just us suffering from injuries it would seem................

Agree, it does seem weird.

It's as though the players are now like trained athletes, so they keep having muscles strains and pulls.

Where as in the 70's alot of players smoked and had a few beers after every game.
They weren't as muscular and carried more fat but muscle strains were rare.
The injuries were more linked to challenges/ fouls on the pitch, when refs allowed players to be very physical with their challenges.

The confidence has been shot to shit from day one. I think ndiaye leaving the way he did has had a much bigger effect than most thought on the players but also Hecky as well.

Players aren't daft (we'll most aren't) and they knew a lot of our hopes were pinned on him this season replicating his championship form in the prem.

The way he upped and left after seemingly telling everyone he was staying put us behind the 8 ball before a ball was kicked. Add the seemingly scattergun late recruitment following on from this and the last minute kicks in the nuts we've had in 3 of the first 4 games and you can see why heads hit the floor as soon as we go behind.

It's Hecky's job to get their heads back up but I fear that ship may have sailed after last week. I want him to stay as he's earned this shot at the top league as much as any player last season but a lot rests on what happens next week now.

Professional football has always been about who has the most money, but now it's gone worldwide it's gone crazy. just take a look at even the midtable teams in this league .
Gone are the days of sportsmanship, now there is so much money involved it's become a win at all cost game, and we are going to need a hell of a lot more money just to stay in this league..
What Mr Wilder did in that first season in this Division was either magic, or a fluke but unfortunately I can't see him ever doing it again.
If he could he would be the United Manager, but at Manchester not Sheffield...... ;)

I’d be amazed if he isn’t here by Wolves at home. Will he sooner than that though. Pressure will be immense when we lose to Fulham next Saturday.
Will it? Fulham away after West Ham away, Newcastle at home and Spurs away, I'd say that from that list I'd realistically expect one point, maybe two. If we lose to Fulham but compete like we have done every game bar Newcastle then I think he'll be fine. Staying up isn't the be all and end all it is at other clubs, bar Luton, because the board have clearly decided that we do not want to push the boat out and are therefore prepared to accept relegation. If they have any other view then they're deluded because this team is totally lacking strength in depth and the quality required to finish anything other than the bottom 3, maybe 4th bottom if we get the rub of the green which we've not had so far.

The fact Hecky wanted to keep all the players was surely because he knew he wasn't going to get the quality he wanted to replace them and would be relying largely on foreign based players for small/average fees to hit the ground running and realistically that's not going to work.

Will it? Fulham away after West Ham away, Newcastle at home and Spurs away, I'd say that from that list I'd realistically expect one point, maybe two. If we lose to Fulham but compete like we have done every game bar Newcastle then I think he'll be fine. Staying up isn't the be all and end all it is at other clubs, bar Luton, because the board have clearly decided that we do not want to push the boat out and are therefore prepared to accept relegation. If they have any other view then they're deluded because this team is totally lacking strength in depth and the quality required to finish anything other than the bottom 3, maybe 4th bottom if we get the rub of the green which we've not had so far.

The fact Hecky wanted to keep all the players was surely because he knew he wasn't going to get the quality he wanted to replace them and would be relying largely on foreign based players for small/average fees to hit the ground running and realistically that's not going to work.
Most, if not all promoted clubs know the moment promotion is assured their first and foremost aim is to avoid relegation from the premiership, then try and survive for a few years whilst building a better squad to finish safely in mid table. Unless we are taken over by a big money owner, going down and back up again is the most realistic aim. Think we can get something from Fulham, who looked average last night, but as always in this league we have to keep it tight and take any chances that come our way

This is weird, but surely in what was to become Wilders last season as manager everyone who is screaming for him to come back, was saying Wilder has no plan B, and Plan A wasn't working.
For what I have seen of his management career since then, he still doesn't have a plan B, so why would anyone want him back.

This is weird, but surely in what was to become Wilders last season as manager everyone who is screaming for him to come back, was saying Wilder has no plan B, and Plan A wasn't working.
For what I have seen of his management career since then, he still doesn't have a plan B, so why would anyone want him back.

Going on what I see from a few managers. Not many of them really have a plan B.

They like to stick to what they think will work best. Like Carrick is still sticking to what worked last season despite the fact he has lost 4 or more of his best players.

Back
Top Bottom