Heckingbottom Out, Wilder In

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Heckingbottom Out, Wilder In

• Good Idea

Votes: 82 9.3%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 797 90.7%

• Total voters

This is really tough to do but if there was a way to incorporate the best of Wilders reign with the best of Hecky's, without pushing Hecky's nose out of joint it could be a masterstroke.
The way we were able to retain possession under Wilder specifically Knill was far superior to us retaining it now. If we string 5 passes together we've done well currently and are getting pressed out of possession all the time.

The sports science stuff and lack of injuries under (was it Prestridge wilder had?) would also be a boon.

The way Hecky seems to improve players, work with youth and foreign players and be able to keep a calm head with the media and with the Prince's board/Bettis despite continually having the rug pulled from under him is much more mature than Wilders throwing toys out of the cot approach.

Some organisational structure that enables the best from both could be a master stroke. I doubt it's possible but who knows. I don't think it would be in anyway fair for Hecky to be booted out. He's too valuable to us for that, and deserves to be looked after well.

Regards the decision to bring back Chris....some people are personalising it
and because they've been hurt....they'd rather cut off their own nose to spite their face.
"Never again", "he couldn't handle the pressure and walked out on us:, "the guy became arrogant and got too big for his boots".
Agree Wilder is quite arrogant, has confidence and charisma, that's because he's a leader and a winner, doesn't accept mediocrity.
Wilder has a bit of the Warnock's about him, meaning he's box office and good with the media in a headline writing way.
Fans around the country have heard of Chris Wilder and would be interested how he copes if he returns.
Where as I don't think many fans around the country have even heard of Paul Heckingbottam, no one is interested.

Regards the return of Wilder It's a bit like having an old girlfriend who makes you the happiest you've even been.
You have so any things in common, life is great.
Then out of the blue...she says she's unhappy and is emigrating to Australia by herself.
You're devastated but gradually get a new girlfriend...that initially seems good, it's a safe boring relationship that's gradually going down hill.

Then you hear that the ex girlfriend you were madly in love with is returning to Sheffield 3 years later.
You find out she's single and regrets leaving you. Basically you know you have a great chance of re-uniting.

So the question is do you stay with the safe underwhelming girlfriend or get back together with the love of your life.
It's a tough one...things aren't always the same the second time around but you're current relationship isn't really going anywhere.
Has she moved on from dirrty to downright filthy ?

Wilder spent £48m, Heckingbottom has spent £64m (figures taken from transfermrkt.com).

Yes Heckingbottom lost his best player and Berge, but let's not pretend he hasn't been given cash to replace them. Wilder also lost one of his most important players in Duffy, that meant he had to reshape the team.

Edit: Those figures should be Euros, but it makes no difference to the point.
Wilder spent over 120m

This is really tough to do but if there was a way to incorporate the best of Wilders reign with the best of Hecky's, without pushing Hecky's nose out of joint it could be a masterstroke.
The way we were able to retain possession under Wilder specifically Knill was far superior to us retaining it now. If we string 5 passes together we've done well currently and are getting pressed out of possession all the time.

The sports science stuff and lack of injuries under (was it Prestridge wilder had?) would also be a boon.

The way Hecky seems to improve players, work with youth and foreign players and be able to keep a calm head with the media and with the Prince's board/Bettis despite continually having the rug pulled from under him is much more mature than Wilders throwing toys out of the cot approach.

Some organisational structure that enables the best from both could be a master stroke. I doubt it's possible but who knows. I don't think it would be in anyway fair for Hecky to be booted out. He's too valuable to us for that, and deserves to be looked after well.
Lets get a campaign going.

For all those people suggest Wilder (or even Warnock) as a DoF, I have two questions:

1 — do you have any idea what a DoF actually does? and
2 — what about either of those people makes you think that they’d be suitable in such a role?

For all those people suggest Wilder (or even Warnock) as a DoF, I have two questions:

1 — do you have any idea what a DoF actually does? and
2 — what about either of those people makes you think that they’d be suitable in such a role?
D.O.F.oversees football transfers?Wilder could do that,IMHO.

Hecky as First Team Coach and CW as Director of Football?
Other way round for me.Not that I want Wilder back.
But in that scenario,Hecky runs the club with his sensible and measured calm.
Wilder kicks arse and motivates mebbe.
Aint happening and think it is a potential shitshow cos Wilder can be a liability in front of media.🤔

I'd prefer that to Hecky out.I would hope between them ,they could generate some kind of determination in players attitude,a la Sunday debacle.
But CW failed to do that in his PL2. Rather miserably. Too early to be rid of PH imo but Sunday created worries about the (particularly second half) tactics and the incredibly incompetent/white flag approach of some of the players.

But CW failed to do that in his PL2. Rather miserably. Too early to be rid of PH imo but Sunday created worries about the (particularly second half) tactics and the incredibly incompetent/white flag approach of some of the players.
Maybe Wilders mellowed somewhat,got wiser, less ebbulient,realised the job's worthwhile.Probably won't happen,just a thought.

I think Wilders mental state left a lot to be desired before,could have recharged his batteries.

Back
Top Bottom