Heckingbottom is not and never was up to this job

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

TBF Hecky inherited a squad with plenty of quality and in Ndiaye had an exceptional talent and individual matchwinner. I do believe our “par” was top six, as a minimum, with that squad.

Two things I’m mindful of - (1) Every manager has a shelf life with a club, or in any organisation. Rarely can they keep improving and / or delivering as the circumstances they operate in are in constant flux. (2) We should be amongst the worst teams in the division, undoubtedly. But we shouldn’t look that much worse than Luton, Burnley and the other teams around the bottom. Fulham are one of the worse teams in the division and they ran rings around us. We should be able to compete and the performances thus far simply haven’t been good enough and can’t continue in perpetuity.
The first part is more or less what I said, yeah. He inherited a strong squad and that's why I would disagree with anyone who says he "worked miracles" getting us promoted. However, I also think it's true that lots of managers never get their squads playing to par so finding someone like Hecky who achieves it is not nothing. I also think he deserves a lot of credit for turning Ndiaye into the matchwinner we saw him become last season.

I agree with the second part, too. He has been dealt a weak hand this season but it's not as weak as it currently looks. The players we have are probably not good enough to keep us up but they are better than they've shown so far. I'm open to a change of manager at this point--would rather it wasn't Wilder but not as furious about the possibility as some are.

When did we become a fan base that accepts being the worst side in PL history ?

We want to get better but when it gets tough we say we’ll never mind let’s try again in 2 years.
The Premier League gets harder year on year, as the gap between the ‘haves’ and the ‘have nots’ gets wider. I don’t give a flying fuck if we beat Derbys lowest points record? You do know there are many, many teams who have never and will never compete in the EPL, I take it? Consequently, I don't care if we get relegated, as a spectacle, I don't particularly enjoy the Premier League and everything that comes with it.

I’ve been supporting United for over 50 years and I’ll support them until my last breath. Naturally I want them to win and enjoy success, but I don't let their performances or fortunes on or off the field, dictate my own happiness or affect the quality of my life away from being a football supporter. If you do, then you need to urgently take a serious inward look at your life priorities, sooner rather than later before you spiral into an inevitable pit of depression.

The thing is that basically, we are competing in the F1 Championship in a BMW 3 series, with the financial backing of Mike Tyson and yet some people genuinely think the solution to our problems, would be to change the driver. 🙄

I’m going to nail my colours to the mast and just say it…heckingbottom is the luckiest bloke alive. He was in the right place at the right time and fell onto the job of managing us because he was there and wouldn’t rock the boat.
He was barely competent in the championship but had 2 or 3 players, when he actually got round to playing them, who could turn a match round. He persisted with Norwood and fleck even when they were playing consistently badly until he had no choice but to play Macatee and Doyle and things suddenly got better and we started playing well and winning more, who could have known!! I would say, I know some people will disagree, it was in spite of Heckingbottom and not because of him.

The wholesale training slaughter of the players cannot be just luck, something is being done wrong and it’s followed him in clubs throughout his career. Even with this presumably high stress training the players are blowing out of their arses after 60 minutes! What on earth is happening in training? History shows us, he won’t change anything until we are down to having only the under 21’s left. He can’t change because he knows nothing else and is also seemingly the most stubborn man this side of the Pennines.

He is also tactically inept, playing the long ball to mcburnie is fair enough when he’s on the pitch but for fucks sake, don’t carry on with it when he’s sat on the fucking bench and a 5 foot 7 player has replaced him!

I don’t even think anything would be different if we hadn’t lost the 2 we lost, one was patchy to say the least and the other irreplaceable but he did get the targets he wanted who are turning out to be not performing well under him.

He is in no way up to managing in the premier league and it’s just gobsmacking that he still has support because he’s done nothing right since the season started, has no positive effect on results and seems unable to make a decision tactically until it’s too late. I mean fetching Osborne on against Man U… Slimane must be fucking paralysed from the knees down to not be getting a game. That was honestly the substitution that broke me and proved we need rid.
This is my opinion, yours may be different.
Strange Slav didn't do anything then. He was in the same situation.

Don’t you just love people who point out the obvious issues regarding the current management but never provide a solution. I bet Pep is hanging around the phone waiting to floor it over the snake to get to our place . Just who or what kind of manager would look at us right now and think it was a good move . Seriously 😳
Again we need to build the fucking ship before we choose a captain. Let’s aim our frustration at the ownership. As Kevin Costner said
IF YOU BUILD IT HE WILL COME
UTB ⚔️

The Premier League gets harder year on year, as the gap between the ‘haves’ and the ‘have nots’ gets wider. I don’t give a flying fuck if we beat Derbys lowest points record? You do know there are many, many teams who have never and will never compete in the EPL, I take it? Consequently, I don't care if we get relegated, as a spectacle, I don't particularly enjoy the Premier League and everything that comes with it.

I’m not sure telling people you don’t care about the teams fortunes and don’t like the Premier League anyway makes a particularly compelling argument.

Thus far, in the annals of history, no one has ever offered as little in the way of competition as we have. We are looking historically bad. I don’t want us to be historically bad. That’s not acceptable. As a club we ought to be better than that. Rocking up every week and rolling over and letting our bellies get tickled is difficult for some to stomach. That’s not an unreasonable position. No is ignoring the constraints we are under and that circumstances are challenging, but the “I don’t care about getting relegated anyway” will wear very thin if we continue to get thumped every week.

Guy starts a thread all the clique on here jump On board and start getting pissy, there’s no wonder this place has lost some good posters lately just scroll past he’s not wasting paper writing it down ffs

It's only a bit of fun....🤗

I’m going to nail my colours to the mast and just say it…heckingbottom is the luckiest bloke alive. He was in the right place at the right time and fell onto the job of managing us because he was there and wouldn’t rock the boat.
He was barely competent in the championship but had 2 or 3 players, when he actually got round to playing them, who could turn a match round. He persisted with Norwood and fleck even when they were playing consistently badly until he had no choice but to play Macatee and Doyle and things suddenly got better and we started playing well and winning more, who could have known!! I would say, I know some people will disagree, it was in spite of Heckingbottom and not because of him.

The wholesale training slaughter of the players cannot be just luck, something is being done wrong and it’s followed him in clubs throughout his career. Even with this presumably high stress training the players are blowing out of their arses after 60 minutes! What on earth is happening in training? History shows us, he won’t change anything until we are down to having only the under 21’s left. He can’t change because he knows nothing else and is also seemingly the most stubborn man this side of the Pennines.

He is also tactically inept, playing the long ball to mcburnie is fair enough when he’s on the pitch but for fucks sake, don’t carry on with it when he’s sat on the fucking bench and a 5 foot 7 player has replaced him!

I don’t even think anything would be different if we hadn’t lost the 2 we lost, one was patchy to say the least and the other irreplaceable but he did get the targets he wanted who are turning out to be not performing well under him.

He is in no way up to managing in the premier league and it’s just gobsmacking that he still has support because he’s done nothing right since the season started, has no positive effect on results and seems unable to make a decision tactically until it’s too late. I mean fetching Osborne on against Man U… Slimane must be fucking paralysed from the knees down to not be getting a game. That was honestly the substitution that broke me and proved we need rid.

I think this post is what a previous member may have called a "Fallowfield Fact"

If Hecky was given the bullet, who could replace him, that prince would have to pay Hecky off. However, he has no money apparently so he wants to sell the club dunt he. if Hecky is sacked the prince has to get another manager in, if he sells the club, a new owner might want to bring another manager in. The sooner all this is sorted the better. Before the January transfer window.to give new owner/s a chance to stay in the premier league.

Plays offs then automatic promotion, out of his depth? Now probably he is but not in the championship. Would live to know your thought's on Slav around August 21.

We can all put forward our views as to whether he should be sacked or not, but surely the overriding factor is the cost of paying off four significant contracts and hiring at least two others to replace them.
All available evidence points to us not being able to do that without putting the club in a very difficult financial position.
Any new coach/ manager might well fail also and then we are in the Championship with financial restrictions and we know where that can lead.

If Hecky was given the bullet, who could replace him, that prince would have to pay Hecky off. However, he has no money apparently so he wants to sell the club dunt he. if Hecky is sacked the prince has to get another manager in, if he sells the club, a new owner might want to bring another manager in. The sooner all this is sorted the better. Before the January transfer window.to give new owner/s a chance to stay in the premier league.
I wouldn't hold your breath on there being a New owner.

Agree 10% that there’s no need for the name calling
I agree ,seems to be the same people though as my point ,love this site it’s full of critical debate which you don’t find on other social media platforms such as shame people resort to sarcasm and crass name calling instead of scrolling by 👍

I don’t think Hecky going will make any difference unless we do what Villa did.

Problem is we have an owner who has no money and actually wants to make money out of us.

Ndyiae going was massive blow.

At least next season we will be financially secure so could build. Hopefully our owner goes and we find a billionaire.

Next season will not be that good as we have 14 players out of contract next summer. Also Archer will go back to Villa & McAtee back to Man City, and I reckon we will also sell Hamer to help balance the books for the Prince. Remember the Prince cannot afford to run a Championship club…..never mind a Premier League club!

I agree ,seems to be the same people though as my point ,love this site it’s full of critical debate which you don’t find on other social media platforms such as shame people resort to sarcasm and crass name calling instead of scrolling by 👍

People are endlessly repeating the same shit about the same subjects. Impossible to scroll past every post.

Agree....very much doubt the Prince will bring in an ambitious young manager....or someone like Hassenhuttle on a big long term salary.
Makes no sense because as you say new owners are always keen to sack the current manager and bring in their own man, giving them a long contract starting afresh with their vision for the club. So the Prince won't want to attach a long term financial commitment to the club. In fact it's probably seen as an attraction for any new buyer if they know we start afresh next season and they have the green light to appoint their own manager.

Common sense says the Prince will want to do something....he's hardly going to not do anything if there's no sign that we can win a match.
You would think he'll prefer to offer a 7 months contract on a fairly low salary with a massive staying up bonus.
No manager in their right mind would accept such a poor deal, so the manager would need to be desperate willing to risk their reputation.
As this would be a temporary stop gap measure, it would help if the new man knew the players and the club so he could hit the ground running.
In order to keep the costs down, it would also help if the new manager was was willing to work with McCall and Lester.

The only men who fit the bill and who might be available are Wilder and Warnock.
Don't think either would save us. However at least we'd have hope where as under Hecky it's looking likely we'll soon have zero hope.
People might say how can Warnock or Wilder possibly offer hope when we need a miracle.

The simple answer is in the past both Warnock and especially Wilder have performed miracles.
Warnock laughs in the face of adversity, he's gone to clubs with really poor players lacking confidence near the bottom of the league
and if by magic they almost instantly improve and he keeps them up. Where as when Wilder joined Northampton they were terrible near the bottom of league 2. Then with almost the same players the year after, like a miracle, he won the league with 99 points.

Then he joined Sheff Utd, at one stage bottom of league 1, then 4 years later with mainly players from league 1 and the Championship
he's challenging for the Champions League place out passing the likes of Arsenal and Spurs away with very ordinary individual players.

The downside for Wilder (which I think is more relevant) is that his success was when he joined Northampton and Sheff Utd, both clubs were in turmoil so there was little pressure and he was allowed time to build from scratch. Don't think Wilder handles pressure well
where as Hecky is more laid back and just lets pressure go over his head.

The upside for Wilder is that he'll see us as unfinished business, it's his last chance to rescue his career and reputation
so he'll be unbelievably determined and motivated. Also he's now more experienced and managers learn more from bad times than the good times.

Doubt he'd save us but I'm confident we'd improve and that many of the our games will be like the 1st half against Man Utd.
Also we would be more positive trying to win, so we'll push more men forward, win a few with a few thrashings throw in.

This is just my opinion...I could be wrong and I'm also open to changing me mind if performances (not necessarily results) improve.
Also let's not forget that Michael Carrick was very close to being sacked at Middlesboro, they win a single game, now they can't stop winning.

I’ve been supporting United for over 50 years and I’ll support them until my last breath. Naturally I want them to win and enjoy success, but I don't let their performances or fortunes on or off the field, dictate my own happiness or affect the quality of my life away from being a football supporter. If you do, then you need to urgently take a serious inward look at your life priorities, sooner rather than later before you spiral into an inevitable pit of depression.

The thing is that basically, we are competing in the F1 Championship in a BMW 3 series, with the financial backing of Mike Tyson and yet some people genuinely think the solution to our problems, would be to change the driver. 🙄
Getting upset after a defeat lasts max half hour same goes for a bad round of golf or a bad days fishing.

For me, if Slav had Mcatee, Doyle, Anel and a 2nd season Ndiaye able to play longer minutes and at another level up..he would have gotten us promoted in a 2nd season in charge.

Just my opinion of course.

A good analagy at the end, however, our BMW 3 series starts every race with at least one flat tire as the team principal keeps pouring nails on the practise track. Despite being told this is the cause of all the constant punctures he continues to refuse to sweep them up then moans about all the punctures we keep getting, even though we've had more punctures under him than any other team principal in the history of the team. When the race starts the driver can barely get out of second gear, hits every wall when it goes round bends and looks to the director for help and guidance and gets nothing. We're not expecting to win the F1 race with a BMW 3 series, but it would be nice to see someone do something about the constant punctures, it would be nice to see the car drive in a straight line and take a corner without going off track and hitting the wall, you know, the simple basics of driving, and it would be nice to see the team principal at least try to help the driver during the race rather than stubbornly sticking to his tried and worn ineffective methods. The team principal is at fault for all the set up of the car before the race, the constant punctures, lack of race strategy, lack of in race advice and engineering changes and for just sitting there watching the car he built perform like a dodgem. He's been given a BMW 3 series, fair enough, but why does it look more like a Vauxhall Nova every race instead of a BMW 3 series.

The team principal needs to go. He's out of his depth and failing at the job he is paid to do. At least under another race principal we might actually look and perform like a BMW 3 series and occasionally move up the grid, even if that is from a bit of luck from other cars crashing, having mechanical failures or making a bad pit stop. The team principal is not getting the most or best out of this car and isn't doing the job he is paid to do and failing miserably to even get this car to complete a lap, let alone a race.

Last edited:

Heckingbottom is the new Blackwell. Both brought in to steady the ship and cut costs, both started out with a great team mentality, both floundered when that got found out, both then set teams up to keep the point we had at the start. Similarities are astounding.

Heckingbottom is the new Blackwell. Both brought in to steady the ship and cut costs, both started out with a great team mentality, both floundered when that got found out, both then set teams up to keep the point we had at the start. Similarities are astounding.
Coincidentally the last time I felt nothing on match days and lost interest was when Blackwell was in charge. Win, lose or draw I hated watching the matches as the football was so awful to watch. In the end I stopped going as I couldn't be bothered to give up the best part of 6 hours tavelling to Sheffield, watching a turgid turd fest, then travelling back home and ultimately not enjoying my Saturday off as a result. When Blackwell left I returned. I don't mind losing, but I can't handle poor performances win, lose or draw and I don't accept that poor performances are fine so long as you win, as that merely papers over the cracks and doesn't address them. The problem now is that Hecky has run out of paper and wouldn't know how to paper over the cracks even if he had some. We had more than enough off days last season but everyone ignored them because we were winning. None of this season is that new. Injuries. Lack of plan B. No style or obvious tactics. No tactical changes during games. Late baffling subs. None of this is new. Hecky was flattered by results and Ndiaye and McAtee often made him look like a competent manager.

Last edited:
I’m not sure telling people you don’t care about the teams fortunes and don’t like the Premier League anyway makes a particularly compelling argument.

Thus far, in the annals of history, no one has ever offered as little in the way of competition as we have. We are looking historically bad. I don’t want us to be historically bad. That’s not acceptable. As a club we ought to be better than that. Rocking up every week and rolling over and letting our bellies get tickled is difficult for some to stomach. That’s not an unreasonable position. No is ignoring the constraints we are under and that circumstances are challenging, but the “I don’t care about getting relegated anyway” will wear very thin if we continue to get thumped every week.
Totally agree, and I find it hard to comprehend how anyone can accept the club becoming a laughing stock throughout football. Its embarrassing, and I for one, don't want the club to go in the history books as the worst club to grace the Premier league.

Totally agree, and I find it hard to comprehend how anyone can accept the club becoming a laughing stock throughout football. Its embarrassing, and I for one, don't want the club to go in the history books as the worst club to grace the Premier league.

Agree....think it's just bad loser/ saving face syndrome.
it happens alot when you want something but can't get it......then the reaction is "never wanted it anywhere"

Used to see it loads of times in the school yard, there would be a lad who fancied a girl, making eyes etc.
The girl would make it clear she wasn't interested, so to save face the boy would then declare he wouldn't touch her with barge pole etc.

A good analagy at the end, however, our BMW 3 series starts every race with at least one flat tire as the team principal keeps pouring nails on the practise track. Despite being told this is the cause of all the constant punctures he continues to refuse to sweep them up then moans about all the punctures we keep getting, even though we've had more punctures under him than any other team principal in the history of the team. When the race starts the driver can barely get out of second gear, hits every wall when it goes round bends and looks to the director for help and guidance and gets nothing. We're not expecting to win the F1 race with a BMW 3 series, but it would be nice to see someone do something about the constant punctures, it would be nice to see the car drive in a straight line and take a corner without going off track and hitting the wall, you know, the simple basics of driving, and it would be nice to see the team principal at least try to help the driver during the race rather than stubbornly sticking to his tried and worn ineffective methods. The team principal is at fault for all the set up of the car before the race, the constant punctures, lack of race strategy, lack of in race advice and engineering changes and for just sitting there watching the car he built perform like a dodgem. He's been given a BMW 3 series, fair enough, but why does it look more like a Vauxhall Nova every race instead of a BMW 3 series.

The team principal needs to go. He's out of his depth and failing at the job he is paid to do. At least under another race principal we might actually look and perform like a BMW 3 series and occasionally move up the grid, even if that is from a bit of luck from other cars crashing, having mechanical failures or making a bad pit stop. The team principal is not getting the most or best out of this car and isn't doing the job he is paid to do and failing miserably to even get this car to complete a lap, let alone a race.
And lets not let the pit crew off the hook, they’re not changing the tyres until the wires showing 🤦🏻

I’ve never been happy about his appointment. It was the cheapest option and I didnt see much to suggest he did anything but put names on a team sheet. Names which were much better than those on other team sheets.

Hecky has always seemed unsuitable and by that I mean I always got the impression he was tempted by the role but not overly enamoured by the prospect and eventually he was railroaded into it. Go back and listen to his interviews at the end of the PL campaign he openly says management isn’t for him and he’s looking forward to going back to working with the kids.

Hecky won’t be sacked nor paid off he will just be put back in the role he had and wants

Wilders return is inevitable despite how it ended both personally and on the pitch. I think the one saving grace for Wilder is whilst many remain there are a good few addition to the squad that weren’t here last time

it happens alot when you want something but can't get it......then the reaction is "never wanted it anywhere"

Used to see it loads of times in the school yard, there would be a lad who fancied a girl, making eyes etc.
The girl would make it clear she wasn't interested, so to save face the boy would then declare he wouldn't touch her with barge pole etc.

The point is that we do not have the finances to compete with the top half of the Premier League, I don't want us to spend every penny generated by promotion, in a forlorn hope of doing so. I would rather us have some kind of legacy from this season, like a Cat 1 Academy and state of the art first team training facility, than sign Chris Woods in January or sack the manager and clear out the back room staff to then replace them with similar. As we know to our cost, £60m gets a 3 bang average EPL footballers, whilst the same £60m could build facilities that would attract and develop talent for the next twenty generations.

In my opinion, the time to judge Heckingbottom is when we’ve played every team once and we can get a more accurate assessment. We’ve played Palace, Forest, Everton and Fulham of the teams we should compete with and got 1 point but against Palace and Forest half the team had only just met. We’ve got Wolves, Brighton, Bournemouth, Burnley, Brentford and Luton on the horizon and realistically we have to get something from them.

But to clarify my initial statement, why would any supporter of Sheffield United feel embarrassed if we set a new record low points tally. I’ve always supported Utd, always will, whatever division we’re in and I’d never be embarrassed about them, I don't give a toss what any other person thinks or says about them, they are my club, they’re are in my blood. But I am rational enough to understand that, they are just a part of my life, my health, wealth and happiness and that of my family, didn’t improve when we finished ninth under Wilder or when we were top of Division one in the 70’s. There’s been more lows than highs, I don‘t want them to get relegated or get less than 11 points, but if they do, my life won’t alter and I can comfortably deal with any associated piss taking, from those kids in the playground who changed their football allegiance from week to week and now ’support’ Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal or Man City through a Sky sports subscription.

I stand by my opinion, that I’d rather watch us in the Championship than the Premier League, because its the nearest thing to proper football, a level playing field, not one orchestrated by the PGMOL, Sky or the biggest bank balance wins bullshit.

If that makes me a sore loser, then so be it.

Touching a girl with a barge pole after she's indicated she wasn't interested... Were you a rapist in a past life by any chance..

The point is that we do not have the finances to compete with the top half of the Premier League, I don't want us to spend every penny generated by promotion, in a forlorn hope of doing so. I would rather us have some kind of legacy from this season, like a Cat 1 Academy and state of the art first team training facility, than sign Chris Woods in January or sack the manager and clear out the back room staff to then replace them with similar. As we know to our cost, £60m gets a 3 bang average EPL footballers, whilst the same £60m could build facilities that would attract and develop talent for the next twenty generations.

In my opinion, the time to judge Heckingbottom is when we’ve played every team once and we can get a more accurate assessment. We’ve played Palace, Forest, Everton and Fulham of the teams we should compete with and got 1 point but against Palace and Forest half the team had only just met. We’ve got Wolves, Brighton, Bournemouth, Burnley, Brentford and Luton on the horizon and realistically we have to get something from them.

But to clarify my initial statement, why would any supporter of Sheffield United feel embarrassed if we set a new record low points tally. I’ve always supported Utd, always will, whatever division we’re in and I’d never be embarrassed about them, I don't give a toss what any other person thinks or says about them, they are my club, they’re are in my blood. But I am rational enough to understand that, they are just a part of my life, my health, wealth and happiness and that of my family, didn’t improve when we finished ninth under Wilder or when we were top of Division one in the 70’s. There’s been more lows than highs, I don‘t want them to get relegated or get less than 11 points, but if they do, my life won’t alter and I can comfortably deal with any associated piss taking, from those kids in the playground who changed their football allegiance from week to week and now ’support’ Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal or Man City through a Sky sports subscription.

I stand by my opinion, that I’d rather watch us in the Championship than the Premier League, because its the nearest thing to proper football, a level playing field, not one orchestrated by the PGMOL, Sky or the biggest bank balance wins bullshit.

If that makes me a sore loser, then so be it.
Brilliant post and I wholeheartedly agree but seeing as this is a forum and the internet loves a smartarse......

If we take a generation as being 25 years, 20 generations is 500 years!!! What are these facilities that last half a millennium and are still state of the art :D

Back
Top Bottom