Heckingbottom is not and never was up to this job

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I despair when I read threads like this.

Wilder dumped us and took his £4m pay-off.

Jokanavic came in and was appalling.

Heckingbottom took over a squad with no confidence, saved us and got us to the play-offs and a FA Cup semi final where we lost narrowly to the best team in the World.

Then he won us automatic promotion.

But now because we’re struggling with a weak squad decimated with injuries, a squad weakened at the very last minute through no fault of his own due to treacherous players..some want rid to have him replaced with who???

Wilder? Do me a favour, he’s burnt hIs bridges.

Get rid of Heckingbottom, then what?

Who is this saviour who’s going to turn it all around?
I get this completely. However, football is not about sentimentality. Yes, Hecky has in my opinion done a better job than probably he gets credit for. He has been helped by one or two marquee players however, they alone dont get you into a PO semi, an FA Cup semi and 91 point automatic promotion. Sadly, however, despite this, he sits bottom of the league with 9 defeats from 10 and performances that have dropped off a cliff. Yes, injuries hurt us, but facts are, from what I have seen some of his tactics and substitutions are baffling at this level. If we lose to Arsenal (ok when we lose to Arsenal) I cannot see the board hanging around. He will be gone. Football is that fickle. For me the biggest challenge will be bringing in anyone who will do anything be it Wilder or anyone else. But they'll have my backing.

Brilliant post and I wholeheartedly agree but seeing as this is a forum and the internet loves a smartarse......

If we take a generation as being 25 years, 20 generations is 500 years!!! What are these facilities that last half a millennium and are still state of the art :D
I see you’re not familiar with the Scarborough Group then ?

You make a fair point, I probably didn’t think that statement through 😉

I’ve never been happy about his appointment. It was the cheapest option and I didnt see much to suggest he did anything but put names on a team sheet. Names which were much better than those on other team sheets.

Hecky has always seemed unsuitable and by that I mean I always got the impression he was tempted by the role but not overly enamoured by the prospect and eventually he was railroaded into it. Go back and listen to his interviews at the end of the PL campaign he openly says management isn’t for him and he’s looking forward to going back to working with the kids.

Hecky won’t be sacked nor paid off he will just be put back in the role he had and wants

Wilders return is inevitable despite how it ended both personally and on the pitch. I think the one saving grace for Wilder is whilst many remain there are a good few addition to the squad that weren’t here last time
If they sack hecky and Wilder returns its only to appease the fans and get supporters off the backs of the actual people what are at fault for this diabolical shit show!... The owner and the fucking idiots what are pretending to be the board.

Brilliant post and I wholeheartedly agree but seeing as this is a forum and the internet loves a smartarse......

If we take a generation as being 25 years, 20 generations is 500 years!!! What are these facilities that last half a millennium and are still state of the art :D
Aye
Clearly not been to the Chan Siro recently ( although tbf why would you unless to watch our reserves )will still be a World Cup venue in 5 century’s time

Touching a girl with a barge pole after she's indicated she wasn't interested... Were you a rapist in a past life by any chance..

Don't think you've read the post right.

I'm referring to other pupils, not me.
They were all about 11. Kids says and do stupid things, especially around girls.

Slav wanted a culture change and wasn't give what was promised

It's interesting.

SUFC declared a culture change when we appointed Robson and Jukanovic.
Both tried the shot passing, keep possession game, but the attacks were too slow, so the opposition always had plenty of time to re-orgnanise.

Although the football was decent, the entertainment was below par (especially with Robbo) and results were really poor.
Blackwell and Hecky come in and basically revert to the previous more direct, quicker style and it's instantly more effective.

Swansea had fully adopted this passing, keep possession style for years, it was part of their culture but didn't do them any good.
So adopting a nice, more Premier League style of play, playing "proper quality football", can be overrated and ineffective at Championship level.

It's interesting.

SUFC declared a culture change when we appointed Robson and Jukanovic.
Both tried the shot passing, keep possession game, but the attacks were too slow, so the opposition always had plenty of time to re-orgnanise.

Although the football was decent, the entertainment was below par (especially with Robbo) and results were really poor.
Blackwell and Hecky come in and basically revert to the previous more direct, quicker style and it's instantly more effective.

Swansea had fully adopted this passing, keep possession style for years, it was part of their culture but didn't do them any good.
So adopting a nice, more Premier League style of play, playing "proper quality football", can be overrated and ineffective at Championship level.

That makes Wilder's football sound agricultural. It was probably the best football I've seen in my 30 years of watching.

Is anything actually happening or is it just a bunch of nobbers on here and on Twitter getting themselves more and more wound up every day?

Is anything actually happening or is it just a bunch of nobbers on here and on Twitter getting themselves more and more wound up every day?
I’m not sure if this is related, but I’ve seen Mrs Heckingbottom walking through Meadowhall this afternoon, with a Boots carrier bag full of sun tan cream 😉

Last edited:
That makes Wilder's football sound agricultural. It was probably the best football I've seen in my 30 years of watching.

Agree…the Wilder spell is the best football I’ve seen us play too since the mid 70’s.
Incredibly with no star players, goals were created by patterns / drills and team work and rarely by individual sublime skill or long range worldies.
We just playing simple pass and move football, generally overloading the wings.
Felt so proud playing away at Arsenal and Spurs and having zero fear because I was confident we’d match them football wise on their own patch.
Fans of the away teams would always say it’s the worse their team has played in years but that’s because we regularly made the opposition look poor.

The Kendall period with Gordon Cowans, merged into Spackman taking over when Kendall left us for Everton was also a great football style too.
Cowans in the Championship was like Paul Coutts in league 1, nothing fancy, just calm constant short passing running midfield like a metronome.

I’m not sure if this is related, but I’ve seen Mrs Heckingbottom walking through Meadowhall this afternoon, with a Boots carrier bag full of sun tan cream 😉

Calling Bullshit.

Mrs H would surely know that there's better better value elsewhere with cheaper foreign brands and get the factor 50 later in the shopping window.

He got us promoted with 91 points.

Yes, he inherited a very strong squad but plenty of managers take good squads and run them into the ground--Slavisa Jokanovic comes to mind. We were on our knees when Hecky came in two years ago and he got us into the play offs and then got us promoted, all the while dealing with a financial crisis playing out in the background. I think it's fair to question the style of football we played last season but "barely competent" is going too far. We owe him a lot.

Have his limitations been shown up this season? Yeah, for me they probably have and I wouldn't be gutted to see him replaced. But I really don't get the rewriting of history and outpouring of bile against the guy.
Spot on. He's done a great job, salvaged the first season and nearly got us to the PO final, then got us promoted comfortably last season when we we top two from October and never looked back. All against a backdrop of financial meltdown off the field.

He's been let down badly again this summer, but he does look to be out of his depth with the meagre assets he has at his disposal. Something needs to change, and the easiest thing to change is him I'm afraid.

Today will be a real test. Get something at Arsenal and perhaps he hasn't lost the dressing room.

I 100% agree about certain people wanting to rewrite history. Plus all the doom mongers, bed-wetters and moaners have been frustrated for the last 18 months with nothing to moan about. They're having their day in the sun.

If Hecky gets the bullet, and his replacement is mardy arse, then let's see if he can get a tune out of this lot.

Going to be an interesting day.

The same Swansea who had a number of consecutive top flight seasons playing good football. Something we haven't done for 30 years and even then I'm sure some would dispute the good football bit.

The same Swsnsea who won a cup final in that period. Something we haven't done for touching a century.

But didn't do them any good?

The same Swansea who had a number of consecutive top flight seasons playing good football. Something we haven't done for 30 years and even then I'm sure some would dispute the good football bit.

The same Swsnsea who won a cup final in that period. Something we haven't done for touching a century.

But didn't do them any good?
They had players who could make possession football successful, now they are broke and don't have players to make possession football successful

Back
Top Bottom