Has The Tech Had Its Day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Next Season Will It Be Time To Scrap All The Technology and Go back to Ref and linesman etc

• Yes

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 66.3%

• Total voters

originaltrueblade

Reaction score
After all the issues especially the latest one...All the excuses by the authorities should next season be the time to get rid

Automate VAR, take out human error, human neglect, and human corruption.

I don’t even think it’s the technology. It’s the fucking morons who are in control of it.

There’s more human error now than there was before technology was brought in.

More humans involved = more human error.

Was better when you could just call the ref a twat for getting it wrong. Now there's layers of twats

We will never back track on the technology, we just need the people using it to have common sense and the bollocks to stop play to review key incidents

Get rid for me. Its causing far more controversy now than there ever was before. Ref could miss a dive before and it could be hammered on Match of the day and the papers for weeks. That dive is now subjective to another referee in a caravan somewhere. The only difference is the var has more camera angles.

But football is, and always has been, about those fine margins. Gaining an advantage on the opposition. If a player sneaks beyond the last man by a toenail then so what? It's marginal. For me, if any part of the striker is in line with any part of the last defender, he's onside. The defender should be quicker... Its about scoring goals, not denying them.

As for the other night, that's just full weight corruption. The VAR saw that and only had to shout to the ref that his watch had fucked up. Why have protocol? Why is there certain steps to giving a goal?

Use VAR properly, and allow VAR reviews for goals to extend past phases of play if there's been an obvious fuck up like what happened at Villa. If there's been an massive calamity, then sort it out while the match is in play. I don't think that rule would be used much, but it needs to exist.

Have more VAR officials for speedy reviews.

Inform the linos that they actually have a job to do and shouldn't be entirely reliant on VAR to pick up their slack.

Tell Refs the tech is there to help, not do the work for them.

One failure doesn't undo how good the goal-line tech has been. What's needed there is a proper explanation of how all the cameras failed. Simply saying it's a unique situation doesn't suffice and we need to know these things are properly overseen. Still, it's been incredibly reliable and is clearly more accurate than match officials and the speed of its decisions means it doesn't impact on the flow of the game.

VAR has been awful. And worse than that is the immediate statement after our game that there will be no review into VAR based on it. I was under the impression that this whole season was a review of VAR but the powers that be are already taking a position of "Tough, we're doing it our way". For every good VAR call there's a bad one, and it doesn't seem interested in getting involved in the situations people wanted it to. I can't see any reason so far to think it's better than the officials on the pitch. And as I've repeated, it's not just got to be better, it's got to be so much better that it's worth the disruption to the game by leaving us waiting and feeling alienated as fans in the stand.

I've always been against it and I've seen nothing to change my mind. In other sports technology is almost always used for a binary decision, yes/no in/out hitting/missing. Apart from GLT (saying nowt) football does not deal with binary decisions, but deals with opinion and a subjective one. This is why you get differences in opinion, for instance the Pogba penalty last night. On shoutbox I saw, definite pen; he dived; soft; he stuck his leg in to get it. Up to this season those decisions were left with one person, the laws even state: if, in the opinion of the referee. But, since television began covering football they have with increasing levels of forensics, examined and scrutinised those decisions, to the point where TV is now dictating how the game is played. So we now have an opinion examined by another opinion. All this for the benefit of plastics around the world glued to a screen and nothing to do with real supporters in the ground.

VAR, by TV for TV....get rid

It needs to adapt to the game, not the other way round.

Referees seem to be falling into the trap of letting things go then waiting to see if the technology picks anything up after.

The Shelvey goal against us was a prime example, that was a completely unnatural situation in football. Likewise McGoldrick at Spurs, you don’t pull it back for offside after the defending team have cleared their lines.

I’ve got sympathy for Michael Oliver as Hawkeye has been touted as infallible and he will have been instructed to referee as if it were. It clearly isn’t and perfectly good goals will be ruled out because they will only count if the players are stood in the right places to prevent “occlusion”.

The Premier League has to be open with how the technology is supposed to be used, has been used and show a willingness to learn given its in relative infancy.

Instead the fans are treated with complete disdain. It comes across that they are making it up as they go along and when incidents like Wednesday night happen they close ranks.

Plot twists. Controversy. Water Cooler moments. Endless 24/7 re-runs. Reboots. That is what is sold to the worldwide TV audience. And that is what they buy. And, with that money, we buy players & hotels from former owners. And The Big Prinz & all the other PL owners know that. Integrity & Fairness doesn't sell. VAR is bottom line revenue. It stays.

It’s never gonna happen but MINIMAL technology is by far superior. VAR is picking up ridiculous offside calls and causing large amounts of controversy. Rather a ref get it wrong every so often than VAR pick up things unseeable to the eye. Goal line tech only should be the way forward.

i think VAR can work but they need to learn less is more. you dont need micro analyse every goal. maybe the challenge like cricket is the way to go

My thoughts are that the technology is being misused and have thought that from game one. It won't go away, I hope challenges come in and I hope that the ref's take charge and VAR starts to assists the ref rather than the other way round.

I don’t even think it’s the technology. It’s the fucking morons who are in control of it.

There’s more human error now than there was before technology was brought in.
There is when it involves the Blades.United have had more decisions against us with VAR being involved than ANY OTHER CLUB .Just like before when we were in the prem our matches were littered with dodgy decisions the worst having a penalty against us when playing Liverpool at the Lane.I think we were leading by a single goal with not much time left when they got a penalty BECAUSE THE DEFENDER THOUGHT ABOUT FOULING GERRARD.NOW I HAVE NEVER BEFORE OR SINCE seen one given for that.The ref must have been a bloody mind reader but of course it was against one of the big six.
I welcomed the VAR and goal line tec thinking we would not have such decisions against us again,How wrong I was .Now I have never thought the game was bent ( apart from them at sheff 6) until now .I am now beginning to wonder.Hope I am wrong.So strange that the goal line tec and Var plus the device on the refs arm all managed to fail at the same time.Why did the ref not take a look at the pitch side monitor?Where was the lines man?It took VAR nearly 7 mins to rule that a player who was no where near the play at Spurs had his big toe off side even though he was at the other side of the pitch yet they could not stop for a minute on Wednes day to check the pitch side monitor.It is beginning to smell.

petcharlie

The same technology (correctly) stopped Man United potentially beating Spurs last night, stopping them going 2 points further ahead.
It's not 'bent', just generally clueless people in charge.

The thing with our goal against villa is that it puts an element of doubt in GLT. whats more frustrating is the premier league haven't even apologised like Hawkeye have!

And how, if all the camera's failed, was it able to register "GOAL" during the half-time interval? :tumbleweed:

I thought they said that was down to the subs kicking the ball in the net. I have no idea how plausible that is.

What we need is a release of whatever data they have to show what happened. And if there's no such tracking of those things, well, that does call the whole integrity of the system into question.

I think the thing for me is that it's not at all surprising that there's some arrangement of players that can block the cameras. What's confusing is that this would happen in a scenario where there doesn't appear to be much blocking the ball, and the ball stays over the line for a significant period of time. Which doesn't mean a lot other than we need a full explanation in order to be able to trust it in the future. But overall, I think the point remains that the goal-line tech has been a real improvement to the game. What worries me is that it appears as though it's been put in without any consideration for what happens if it goes wrong and it's only now it's cost us we're finding out about that.

I thought they said that was down to the subs kicking the ball in the net. I have no idea how plausible that is.

What we need is a release of whatever data they have to show what happened. And if there's no such tracking of those things, well, that does call the whole integrity of the system into question.

I think the thing for me is that it's not at all surprising that there's some arrangement of players that can block the cameras. What's confusing is that this would happen in a scenario where there doesn't appear to be much blocking the ball, and the ball stays over the line for a significant period of time. Which doesn't mean a lot other than we need a full explanation in order to be able to trust it in the future. But overall, I think the point remains that the goal-line tech has been a real improvement to the game. What worries me is that it appears as though it's been put in without any consideration for what happens if it goes wrong and it's only now it's cost us we're finding out about that.

I think it’s very suspicious the explanation they’ve given. As you’ve said, just look back at the incident and it’s just not possible that 7 different cameras wouldn’t have any view of it at all. Let them show us what Hawk-eye saw and then it would put this doubt to bed at least - but they can’t!

I think the stuff about it coming up as “GOAL” on his watch at half-time, because the subs had kicked the bell into the net, is bollocks as well. Otherwise his watch would have been buzzing dozens of times and clocking up goals as they warmed up.

It’s something called “lies”. And the problem with lies is, the more you spin them the more you get tangled up in them. And that’s what’s happening here.

The fairest thing to do now is to credit us with all the goals the subs scored at half time. 😀

It’s never gonna happen but MINIMAL technology is by far superior. VAR is picking up ridiculous offside calls and causing large amounts of controversy. Rather a ref get it wrong every so often than VAR pick up things unseeable to the eye. Goal line tech only should be the way forward.
You got it in a nutshell. Authorities, in general over elaborate, mainly to justify their existence.

Back
Top Bottom