Player Suggestion Hamza Choudhury

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If he's still anything like the player that completely dominated us a few years ago then that's an excellent piece of business.
That version of Choudhury is what we've been missing for a long time in the middle of the pitch.
Hopefully he's not and Watford sell Sarr and Dennis.

He's not had any noteworthy injuries as far as I know so that energy and physicality that best characterises his game should still be there given his age

So what about appearances. He's constantly been in a very good Leicester squad

Anyone should be able to look at his particular attributes and past performances and realise he'll be a very good player in the championship. There are barely any defensive mids with his capability at this level. Closest comparison that comes to mind would be Lerma last season

He’s started just 18 league games for Leicester in the last 3 seasons.

When was the last time you saw him play consistently at any level?

He’s started just 18 league games for Leicester in the last 3 seasons.

When was the last time you saw him play consistently at any level?
Hes ideal for a team like Watford who are mustard going forward. He will be all over the pitch for them but importantly also provide a defensive wall in front of their back four.

If he had come to us we would all be having a @@@@ so how come when he signs with someone else theres questions raised. Of course Fleck and Norwood are way better than him 🙄

Great bit of business by Watford

Hes ideal for a team like Watford who are mustard going forward. He will be all over the pitch for them but importantly also provide a defensive wall in front of their back four.

If he had come to us we would all be having a @@@@ so how come when he signs with someone else theres questions raised. Of course Fleck and Norwood are way better than him 🙄

I would’ve said the exact same if he’d signed for us.

When was the last time you saw him play consistently enough for you to be sure about his abilities? He started 4 league games last season.

I've only seen him play the odd time like anyone probably has but I know his abilities well enough and don't see why he would have deteriorated. Age, fitness, injury record all in his favour

Yeah, sure is. They must be favourites to go up now. Obviously depends how many of the front 3 they sell but taking 4 points off us and WBA is probably a better start than they expected.

So what about appearances. He's constantly been in a very good Leicester squad

Anyone should be able to look at his particular attributes and past performances and realise he'll be a very good player in the championship. There are barely any defensive mids with his capability at this level. Closest comparison that comes to mind would be Lerma last season
I've been in the Choudhury camp. In fact I started this thread. But it's definitely a leap of faith to suggest he guarantees promotion.

He might well flop or be average, as Flatulent_Bob said.

Edit: Also likely he's out of our wage budget and Watford are paying a fair whack weekly.

Last edited:
I've been in the Choudhury camp. In fact I started this thread. But it's definitely a leap of faith to suggest he guarantees promotion.

He might well flop or be average, as Flatulent_Bob said.

Edit: Also likely he's out of our wage budget and Watford are paying a fair whack weekly.

Exactly. Suggesting that he guarantees promotion on the back of seeing him play ‘the odd time’ is ridiculous. Especially considering that ‘odd time’ will probably have been a season or two ago.

Exactly. Suggesting that he guarantees promotion on the back of seeing him play ‘the odd time’ is ridiculous. Especially considering that ‘odd time’ will probably have been a season or two ago.
Edit: Like LJBlade ALSO said. 😄

I'd definitely have been pleased if we'd signed this guy. But we're seemingly not after a defensive midfielder, as keeping faith understandably (whatever the "bedwetters" say) with the current system.

When was the last time you saw him play consistently enough for you to be sure about his abilities? He started 4 league games last season.
Very true LJ but Ive seen Fleck play consistently enough to know about his abilities...and they are deteriorating season by season

Mcatee and Doyle started no league games last season but it's great that we got them in. Same would have been true of Choudary.

Championship clubs cant sign Premier League players who consistently start games as firstly they arent available and secondly consistently picked premier players dont drop a division do they?

Very true LJ but Ive seen Fleck play consistently enough to know about his abilities...and they are deteriorating season by season

Mcatee and Doyle started no league games last season but it's great that we got them in. Same would have been true of Choudary.

Championship clubs cant sign Premier League players who consistently start games as firstly they arent available and secondly consistently picked premier players dont drop a division do they?

Doyle played 19 times last season on loan to Cardiff and looked one of their better players.

I'm not disagreeing with the suggestion that Choudhury will be a useful player for Watford, I'm disagreeing with the assertion that his signing guarantees them promotion, especially when the poster making that assertion has barely even seen him play.

I'm not really sure what Fleck has to do with this, feels like you've shoehorned him in just to have a dig.

It is not Choudhury's fault Leicester also have Tielemans, Ndidi etc

It is not Choudhury's fault Leicester also have Tielemans, Ndidi etc

I don't recall saying it was. I'm not sure what relevance that has on the comment you replied to.

I don't recall saying it was. I'm not sure what relevance that has on the comment you replied to.

It has relevance on him apparently only starting 4 league games. Unless you're Man City or Liverpool where you can play the youth team and automatically win 36 league games a season, you generally need to start your best players in the Premier League, which is exactly what Leicester were doing. That Choudhury wasn't starting says nothing about the quality or consistency of him, more where he rates in relation to who actually was starting.

It has relevance on him apparently only starting 4 league games. Unless you're Man City or Liverpool where you can play the youth team and automatically win 36 league games a season, you generally need to start your best players in the Premier League, which is exactly what Leicester were doing. That Choudhury wasn't starting says nothing about the quality or consistency of him, more where he rates in relation to who actually was starting.

I wasn't questioning his ability based on his limited appearances. I was making the point that because he's made so few appearances it's not possible for anyone to have seen him play enough recently to know exactly how good he will be. Certainly not the extent where he guarantees promotion for Watford.

Should this lad even be in the country, let alone playing football.
Took fecking months to get rid of the cnut who had a hook forra hand and no doubt cost the taxpayers a small fortune.

I'm not disagreeing with the suggestion that Choudhury will be a useful player for Watford, I'm disagreeing with the assertion that his signing guarantees them promotion, especially when the poster making that assertion has barely even seen him play.

I'm not really sure what Fleck has to do with this, feels like you've shoehorned him in just to have a dig.
No I didnt shoehorn him in to have a dig, I was pointing out that id prefer Choudhury to Fleck. I agree no one player guarantees any club promotion but hes definitely improved Watfords chances and would have improved ours.

Never been sure about him. He’s certainly got something and I’ve seen him have games where he’s looked very good but he always seemed slightly out of control with his challenges, a bit of a red card waiting to happen. Seems odd that Rodgers is prepared to let him go out on loan. I wonder what it’s costing Watford?

They now look likely to lose Sarr, possibly Dennis and also Pedro

That changes things a lot potentially

Maybe Choudhury will only guarantee them 3rd.... 🎣

Another good performance from him yesterday. Defensive midfielders are hard to come by and unless we've got some Anel type under-the-radar options lined up, I still think this lad could do us a job - shielding the defence and backing up Norwood.
Very neat and tidy.

5-10 yard passing is an art.

UTB

Another good performance from him yesterday. Defensive midfielders are hard to come by and unless we've got some Anel type under-the-radar options lined up, I still think this lad could do us a job - shielding the defence and backing up Norwood.

There was a period in the second half where we were starting to find a foothold in the game, Chodhury dropped deep and was a one man screen in front of the defence.
Made a number of tackles and interceptions to stem the tide.

Watford have an option to buy him at the end of the season.

As per my post in August above, he'd have been a great signing for us instead of Doyle. That's the platform we (and particularly Norwood) have needed.

Keinan Davis was priority number 2 in my mind last Summer. In hindsight, we probably did well to avoid him. Seems injury prone and does struggle for goals.
At the time, we had no idea that McBurnie was going to rediscover his old form so I don't think the logic was too flawed..

Back
Top Bottom