Gone to Luton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I know we have a fair amount of Sheffield haters on here, but if anyone thinks Luton is a more desirable place than Sheffield, they truly are off their rocker

And yes fully aware the OP is tongue in cheek
It's not about Sheffield Haters- the folks on here love Sheffield United/ Bramall Lane- its the best thing about Sheffield-

But the City Centre of Sheffield is a now a disgrace/ embarrassment- Leeds/ Leicester/ Nottingham are literally streets ahead as destination Centres.

John Lewis going was tragic - only needs Marks and Sparks to shove off and that's it - the centre is officially CLOSED.

It's not about Sheffield Haters- the folks on here love Sheffield United/ Bramall Lane- its the best thing about Sheffield-

But the City Centre of Sheffield is a now a disgrace/ embarrassment- Leeds/ Leicester/ Nottingham are literally streets ahead as destination Centres.

John Lewis going was tragic - only needs Marks and Sparks to shove off and that's it - the centre is officially CLOSED.

Leicester? FFS 😂

I know we have a fair amount of Sheffield haters on here, but if anyone thinks Luton is a more desirable place than Sheffield, they truly are off their rocker

And yes fully aware the OP is tongue in cheek

Of course Luton will be more desirable to players. It’s close to London, foreign players especially will prefer to live in London than the north.

Well ok the city centre isn't great (although it's undergoing a lot of redevelopment so let's see in a couple of years) but there is plenty to love about the rest of Sheffield, the shops are there if you need them (last time I checked meadowhall/ crystal peaks had plenty) there are good places to eat if you can be arsed to look beyond a Michelin guide book, some highly desirable areas to live where prices for good properties are way better value than down south/Manchester and yeah we don't have an airport, but let's be honest Leeds Bradford, east Midlands are hardly t'other side of the country.

Let's try and see the positives eh

I’m starting this thread as a consolidation for all the names on here who end up signing for Luton due to their really cosmopolitan town centre, high wages and hordes of fans.
Don’t think it matters, judging by the retained squad (28 if you include those offered new contracts) I understand we can only register a squad of 25 so no new signings unless it’s a free expired retirement wage grabber.

Of course Luton will be more desirable to players. It’s close to London, foreign players especially will prefer to live in London than the north.
Will they prefer to earn less money, play in front of fewer fans in a shit stadium and train on a school field?

London is of course a massive draw, but money and career progression are also huge factors.

Will they prefer to earn less money, play in front of fewer fans in a shit stadium and train on a school field?

London is of course a massive draw, but money and career progression are also huge factors.

When I said prefer “Luton” I was referring to the location and not Luton Town FC.

All things considered, we should be a more attractive club to play for, based on the reasons you list. But location wise, they have an advantage over us.

I would imagine the Hertfordshire commuter belt is full of professional footballers. It's not like players at the Manchester clubs live in Ardwick or Moss Side.

When I said prefer “Luton” I was referring to the location and not Luton Town FC.

All things considered, we should be a more attractive club to play for, based on the reasons you list. But location wise, they have an advantage over us.
Yeah that’s fair enough! It is, as there’s plenty of nice places between there and London.

I just recall people saying similar about Blackburn last summer, when they were in the race with us for Anel.

Luton to London. 33 miles. 1hr 20 mins by car
Sheffield to Manchester 37 miles. 1 hr 30
The way footballers drive you can cut those times down.
For the Snake Pass to Manchester, see the M25 to London.
You can get to London in about 3 hrs from Sheffield. Location shouldn’t mean as much as it does.

Luton to London. 33 miles. 1hr 20 mins by car
Sheffield to Manchester 37 miles. 1 hr 30
The way footballers drive you can cut those times down.
For the Snake Pass to Manchester, see the M25 to London.
You can get to London in about 3 hrs from Sheffield. Location shouldn’t mean as much as it does.

Don't think people realise how many footballers commute.

O'Connell, Lundstram and Duffy all lived in Liverpool when they played for us, McBurnie lives in North Yorkshire and a few live towards Manchester. Read the other day that Keiron Freeman commuted from Nottingham to Portsmouth.

When you're on tens of thousands a week, an hours drive every morning and afternoon isn't such a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom