United 2 Luton 3 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
It was a desperate ending for the Blades in the proverbial relegation six pointer at Bramall Lane on Boxing Day afternoon. United trailed and were second best first half with another error from beleaguered keeper Wes Foderingham. The home side fought back though and goals from McBurnie and Ahmedhodzic saw them turn the game around. However, Luton stepped up again but needed two own goals from Robinson and sub Slimane to complete the comeback and the victory. United now sit firmly rooted a long way from safety and now know they will need something incredible in the second half of the season to avoid a quick return to the Championship. Whilst there has been improvements under Wilder, it is ultimately only 1 win in 5 under the new manager and the same issues with this over matched group persists that lacks the basic ingredients of skill, pace, athleticism, fitness, and composure. That allied to a weak mentality that sees the team lose leads and concede late goals and the recipe is not a good one and any confidence that the fans had of United at least being competitive in the relegation fight surely has now ebbed away?

Wilder did make changes in bringing back McAtee, Hamer, McBurnie and Ahmedhodzic. We also saw surprise returns on the bench for Norrington Davies and Brewster. He switched to a back four against a Luton side buoyed from a superb win against Newcastle and having a real go at staying in the league despite the difficulties of losing their skipper Tom Lockyer recently after his cardiac arrest. They started former England internationals Andros Townsend and Ross Barkley in midfield but last year’s leading scorer Carlton Morris, was left on the bench.

Luton settled the better of the two sides and with Barkley getting on the ball early, and a great deal of the game was being played in the United half. The home side were strangely sitting back and conceding possession, even against a struggler and Luton won two early corners. Ahmedhozic was booked after losing the battle and then hauling his man down clumsily. United were struggling to get their forward players into the game although McAtee had one decent run to get them up the pitch but on 17 minutes disaster struck. Trusty had struggled positionally to start the game and Doughty seemed to have the run of the right-hand side and he got in again although Hamer’s apology of a challenge was indefensible. DOUGHTY drove into the box and hit a low shot that should have been a routine save for Foderingham but somehow it squeezed through his legs and into the net. The away fans did not even realise it had gone in till the Hatters played celebrated in the corner amidst the groans from the Bramall Lane.

United tried to get a response and Hamer had a free kick pushed away from Kaminski. Luton continued to attack though and were not sitting back and Adebayo was a real handful getting the better of Ahmedhodzic on several occasions. Townsend had a shot blocked before McAtee curled over at the other end. Barkley headed wide for Luton and then Hamer was cautioned for his foul on Lokonga.

After being second best for much of the half, United did improve towards the interval and following a corner, the ball dropped to Brooks whose shot clipped a defender and bounced up and away. The next delivery that came in, was met by Trusty and it hit the top of the bar and up and over in the closest the home side came to scoring.

Wilder opted to change things at the break and took off Brooks for Lowe and switched to a back 5 and tried to plug the left side where Doughty had caused all sorts of problems. United did play at a higher intensity and the Kop responded. McBurnie and Archer started to see more of the ball and McAtee was carrying the ball as the game opened. Archer did well down the right and his cross was perfect for Lowe but his effort was blocked by Lokonga. However, Luton remained a threat on the break and Townsend shot over after Souza gave the ball away, a rare poor moment for the midfielder who had been one of United’s better players.

On the hour, the home side were level. McAtee made it with an excellent run and as he moved towards the area a combination of Luton defenders seemed to clumsily take him out but as the referee waited, the midfielder, sat on the deck, managed to cleverly flick the ball on towards MCBURNIE. The striker drilled it via the body of Kaminski and into the corner and United were back in it.

The Blades now sensed they had Luton on the backfoot and were throwing men forward with Lowe and Baldock both advanced in many of the raids on the Hatters goal. Indeed, it was Baldock who was involved in the second goal as his cross was not cleared properly and McBurnie fired it back in. The ball fell for Lowe who hit it but it deflected and span towards the line. McAtee seemed set to finish but a Luton defender managed to get back and deny him before Archer was then somehow blocked out right in front of goal before it fell for AHMEDHODZIC who cooly side footed into the far corner. The turnaround was complete and United fans sensed a second consecutive home victory.

Ogbene and Morris came on for Giles and Adebayo for Luton and Slimane replaced Hamer as the game entered the final 20 minutes. United unwisely retreated and were now sitting back rather than going for the goal that would finish the game and Luton started to get back into the game Barkley continued to probe and Morris was a handful and had one cross blocked. A corner was awarded when the referee seemed to decide it came off Baldock. When he decided it was not a foul (it wasn’t) it should have been a goal kick. The corner came in and was not cleared properly and fell for Morris on the right who sent over a dangerous cross. With the United defence deep and Foderingham opting not to come, the ball was flicked into his own net by ROBINSON (OG) past the keepers’ despairing dive and parity was restored only 8 minutes after United had led.

Baldock was booked for his protests before Robinson then also saw a yellow card for a reckless foul on Osho and United seemed to be losing their heads. Luton now sensed a real vulnerability in the United defence and continued to put crosses in and another attack saw the influential Morris cut back inside leaving Ahmedhodzic on his backside before hitting a cross that somehow hit SLIMANE (OG) and spooned up and over Foderingham and Lowe on the far post and suddenly Luton led. Two own goals in 4 minutes summed things up for the Blades in this disastrous season.

Wilder made a triple change with Brewster, Osula and Norwood on for Robinson, Archer and Souza and United now were just throwing men forward in an attempt to at least salvage something from the game. Osula had a good effort with an overhead kick that Kaminski pushed over before the game ticked into 8 minutes of stoppage time. Slimane fired over when well-placed and the final chance with Foderingham up, saw Trusty blaze into the Kop and that was it. A massive three points and back-to-back wins for the visitors who are giving themselves a real chance of staying in the division. For the home side, it is a different manager but the stark reality was shown with another game where in his words we ‘chucked it away’ and with Man City to come at the weekend, United are set to be firmly entrenched in bottom spot as we start the New Year and seemingly needing a miracle to survive.

United – It is not outlandish to say that we are probably now done. I think even the last season under Wilder we still had some hope (granted the season started later) as we turned into the New Year but this time we are probably done for by Boxing Day. I know in all reality we were probably down the moment we sold our best two players a week before the season but feel like today if we had won, there would have been some hope, although with others winning above, even Forest, it seems unlikely who we would catch. We would almost have to double the points total we have achieved in the first half of the season, in the second half and even then that would probably not be enough. It is depressing to know that our season is pretty much done and we are effectively playing for pride and the odd point here and there. I think we might edge up to 20 by the end of the season as teams will have nothing to play for, like last time we won a few near the end but in terms of seriously having any chance of staying up or even being close to staying up, does anyone think we even have any chance? It sounds defeatist but it is honest sadly.

We have now had our easier run of fixtures really. Granted we had the Villa, Chelsea, and City away but we had Burnley, Bournemouth, Brentford, and Luton. We got 3 points from these 4 games. We got stuffed at Burnley and then today against the other of the weakest 3 sides, we defended from the off and sat back. At home. I felt they were the better side for half an hour but the goal we conceded was appalling with shocking lazy defending from Hamer and then more abject goalkeeping. We did finish better the last 10 minutes but Luton deserved the lead, for their approach as much as anything. This was the one game where you could argue we may see more of the ball (yes stats show that was the case by the end but not sure our start set the right tone) and have a go at a team but the negative set up with the way we conceded possession and territory was eerily like the way Hecky set us up. That is not a dig at Wilder by the way (he did pick the wrong team which is easy to say in hindsight) but the mentality of the side is that of a team that just seems scared to attack and move the ball forward. We were so slow to move it on and often just went back and then the lack of technical ability of many of our players (Souza, Trusty, Robinson etc) was evident.

We did have a response 2nd half and we played more attacking football. It became very open and we nearly got caught on the break when Souza lost it but at least we had a go. McAtee got on the ball and we had more men forward. It was not scintillating football but pressure stuff and we got into their third and forced some half chances. The goal was scruffy but it had been coming and then we completed the turnaround after some pinball. At the point I felt go for another as they looked a bit of a mess defensively and I thought a third would finish it but the sub was odd (Hamer was not great but at least gets on the ball and can get us forward and it seemed to unsettle us) and we lost our way. We started to sit back and Luton made positive changes and Morris we never got to grips with. The goals I have seen many say were unfortunate but agree with Wilder. We sat back and invited pressure. Also, they put some good crosses in. Compare that to the number of times we failed to do that – McAtee wasted so many by sending them over the bar or into the keeper hands – and they put the ball in the right area. Also, I do not buy that own goals are always unlucky. Robinson heads the ball into his own net and then Slimane I am not sure how he did that (maybe that one was a tad unfortunate)? However, the fact remains they attacked and had a go. Credit to them. They responded well and not only equalised but went for the winner. They have players with a better mentality and seem to have more character than our insipid bunch who just seem to have no idea how to close out games or win games at this level. We throw away the few leads we have (Brentford the exception) and let in late goals. We cannot defend crosses and have not been able to all season. Clearly the keeper is a problem and has made more errors and of course this undermines an already fragile defence. However, like with the manager and the change, there are bigger issues than simply changing the keeper. There was so many other players not performing or doing the basics. A lot (me included) thought we would have a few steady players who would be fine at this level but only Robinson (who was not one!) has done ok – he was poor today also and the likes of Baldock and surprisingly Ahmedhodzic, have really struggled. Throw in the new lads who have shown bits and pieces but been largely poor – Souza improved and Hamer/McAtee shown bits but do not put consistent games together and we are always going to struggle.

I think today we probably deserved a draw but we are bottom for a reason. We concede stupid goals, lack fitness to last games (our players looked out on their feet on 75 minutes) and routinely just implode. It is a weak bunch really in ability and their approach to games and in games. I am not sure the players are good or strong enough to react though and will have to change some personnel around. Ironically many will probably be ok again back at the lower level (at least top 10) and maybe many are comfortable with being here. Not one of them (McAtee maybe has a chance) look like Premier League players. Even the likes of Archer and Hamer are not at that level. Well, they will all be back at their level soon enough although Archer, McAtee and I think a few others will move on.

A lot will point to stats and the XG looks strong in our favour (think 3 of those chances came in that scramble through) and we had more efforts on goal and Luton did not have an effort even when trailing which is incredible but stats sometimes are misleading too. I think Luton had the first 30-35 minutes and the last 15-20 (till we had a go in stoppage time) but we did have a good spell either side of half time. A draw would have been fair but Luton’s approach was commendable. They stepped up after trailing and then came again. Credit to them. Not sure they are that good a side at all and will probably go but seem to have stronger characters and helped by some Premier League experience in Barkley and Townsend (we signed no one who had played this level before) they then saw out the game.

It was depressing to troop out of the Lane after the final whistle as it kind of felt like a final hammer in our season which is barely half way through. To see one of the other relegation rivals come here, score three and turn it around and win was beyond disappointing. After we got back into it and led we should have gone on and win but the players are simply not good enough. As I say, the managerial change got that initial uplift and performances have been better but today was seen as a key game and we blew it. Will this group show some fight that they have not shown in the second half of the season or will it just peter out to another early relegation? I personally would not be signing anyone in January unless it is with an eye on the Championship next season (argument signing players not good enough for this league and with an eye on the future could flatten their confidence) as it is pointless really at this stage? We probably need a keeper and maybe we dump our loans – Larouci, Thomas. I would not be that bothered if Archer went back if we somehow could do that and we went with Osula/even Traore (both nowhere near ready but will be here next season).

We had our chance to sign some players that would allow us to compete (Luton did and spent less) but due to poor recruitment, lack of funds, our awful scouting network and of course more than all that selling our best two players before the season, we never gave the manager (whoever it is) a chance.

It is depressing to think for the second season we have had at this level, we are almost relegated half through the season but for that the buck stops nowhere but the owner. He clearly does not want/or cannot invest due to lack of money. I am unsure why he got involved really all that time back or took on McCabe other than to make some money? Surely he wanted us at the top level but if he did not have the money to compete than what is the point (maybe he did not realise). He now seemingly wants to make money from the sale (don’t blame him) but cannot find anyone or is asking too much (probably both linked of course) and now we are in this strange state of limbo where he is our owner, but is not really that bothered (if he was bothered he wouldn’t sell) and we are just limping along with no plan on or off the field. As Roy said on BladesPod, we have had 3 seasons out of 5 at this level but have absolutely nothing to show for it. We have not improved the squad, scouting infrastructure, academy status, training ground, ground, or the football side off the field (still one man – the manager and one other man – Bettis – making all the decisions).

Ratings:

Foderingham 2/10 – He is struggling and needs taking out of the team. The problem is his backups are even worse but you have to do it now as his confidence is shot. We then hope to bring someone in for January. The first goal is embarrassing. No idea what he is doing at all. Just awful. After this his kicking was dreadful but not helped by us passing it back constantly as the players in front lack the ability or mentality to pass forward. He failed to come for crosses again and then the second goal I thought he could have come for it as was right on his six yard box and then even the header he is slow to react and needs to do better – maybe I am being harsh? No chance on the third but another three goals conceded. We have the worst goals against in the Premier League since 1997-98 (Barnsley -50) with 47 conceded and reckon we might make the ton with games at City and Liverpool to come! He needs taking out as clearly is not up to this level. Until the last month or so, he had been ok and recall him being one of our only decent players the first few months and kept the score down in many games but now he is making a big mistake every game.

Baldock 4.5/10 – Another who has dropped off but maybe not helped being in and out of the team. He does not seem to have the aggression and fight we have seen him in before but he is also making mistakes defensively. He seems to lose his man too much and then he is switching off. Just does not seem on it. Had a better spell second half where he got forward and was able to get a few decent balls in – one fired over and then the one that led to the second. At the end he is another who fails to stop crosses coming in.

Trusty 3/10 – Had a bit of a nightmare not helped by the formation which left him badly exposed down that side. He had done ok in this position versus Liverpool and Brentford but he looked what he is in this game – a centre back asked to play left back. They got down this side quite a bit and with Hamer not helping (another out of position) he was left one on one and Doughty who is not that quick beat him a fair bit. He looks another that is just not up to this level to me. I have seen a fair few praising him but he is not that good in the air (one decent header that hit the bar) and loses duels too much. Also, not as quick as I thought as shown in this game. Just looks a bog-standard mid table Champ centre half to me.

Ahmedhodzic 5/10 – Another whose standards this season have not been good enough really. He did get forward a bit more today in that he ran with it and carried it more than we have seen for some time and then scored his goal really cooly and was well forward which was nice to see. However defensively he has been wretched. The early booking where he lost his 50-50 and then pulled his man down. He then nearly got another yellow in the first half. Adebayo ragged him about a fair bit and he looked quite soft. The close to the game we needed our defenders to win battles and get us out but we lost the key stuff. The third goal as he just falls on the floor leading to the clear cross is really poor defending. Surprised me how much he has struggled at this level with the pace/physicality of it all and seems another who is just not fit enough. Attacking wise maybe a 7 but defensively more a 3/4 !

Robinson 5/10 – He has been our best outfield player this season and showed some decent things today again but even he struggled and in possession was poor taking too long or playing passes behind him. Thought the big lad up top imposed himself on us first half and set the tone and then at the end, Morris got on top of us too. The goal the player does have hold of him but there is always challenges and grabbing in the box (look at the Villa game where we did not see them given for them) and he has to be stronger and essentially not head it into his own net! A real cynical booking soon after they scored the third compounded his end to the game.

Souza 7/10 – Thought he was our best outfield player and has improved under Wilder. Got his foot in and made some blocks and used it well with the short passes when he could – he rarely goes forward of course. He did do what he is asked to do though in terms of just breaking things up and making tackles. He has been covering more ground recently and just seems more up for it. I do worry that end of the season, he has the hallmark of a one and done player and think he will just end up on loan back in Europe. Not sure he will hang around and his agent will want him playing in a top league whether it be back in Spain, France or Italy. I think the slower paces of those leagues probably suit him more too.

Brooks 4/10 – Struggled again today after doing better against Villa but you expect that with youngsters where they are up and down. He seemed unsure of his position or where to play and we conceded a lot of ball first half with Souza left with too much to do and too many men to make with Brooks, McAtee and Hamer not really contributing off the ball. He had one shot wide and then one deflected but not shocked he went off at the half and we did improve with a different shape allowing wing backs to help and support midfield/get forward.

McAtee 6.5/10 – First half he was not really in it apart from one curling shot after a run but still seemed the player who could help us get up the field. Improved second half in that he got on the ball and was involved in most of our good attacks. Made the first with one good run and then often the main outlet when we broke. He is positive and maybe the only one who looks to dribble or run with it. His crossing and set plays were awful though and wasted 4 or 5 second half alone that took the pressure off when we were on top at that stage.

Hamer 5.5/10 – Another who I am not sure is quite up to this level. I realise my opinion of him is not shared but I am not convinced by him and nor do I feel we have this great player that many see? He has scored two good goals and had a few assists but for one of our marquee signings and seen as one of our main creative talents, not sure he does enough. We see bits and pieces on the ball but also goes missing for long spells. I am not sure the discussion on his position is an excuse either. I agree he is not a wide player but even when central you have to do the defensive stuff and get up and down. He lacks the conditioning and athleticism to do this and is awful off the ball. The first goal as much as it is Wes’s error, I was as mad at Hamer as that is inexcusable to just let a player almost walk by you, He is 27 next year so not a kid either really or someone who will improve that much? He is what he is. I think we would do well to get our money back if we went down for all this talk of us selling players in their final year so we can bring in players with resale value. I think Berge was a better player but know this is not shared by many. He was frustrating but better on the ball and felt more impactful. I will say the sub today did not help but that was not as Hamer was playing that great but more the fact it just meant we automatically kind of sat back and Slimane made us even worse but feel it was more a collective retreat and the sub was part of this.

Archer 5.5/10 – Tried to get on scraps first half but not sure he saw much of the ball at all. I thought he got very little service. Second half we saw a lot more of him. One shot blocked and then his cross nearly set up Lowe for a goal. Involved in the link up with McAtee on the first and then had his shot blocked on the second. Not sure why he was took off when we needed a goal late on – just take another defender or midfielder off?

McBurnie 6/10 – Mixed bag. Saw some saw he was brilliant and some say he was awful! I was somewhere in the middle. First half not in the game really and felt the centre backs won a lot of the ball. I know a lot feel he was being buffered around or fouled but the ref let things go both ways and the same could be said with Adebayo and he was consistent in his approach mostly. Second half he imposed himself more and he held it up, won things and was a nuisance. Scored a goal being in the right spot and involved in the second. He is so languid and slow when he carries the ball though and another that lacks the mobility/athleticism to be a Premier League centre forward. He also slows us down when the ball goes to him as takes an age to do things. He did do some decent things. If we do not resign him, you don’t see his ceiling being any higher than the Champ or maybe Rangers in Scotland. I would not be that bothered if he moved on – there is an argument we would have to spend money to replace him and he is decent in the Championship but he simply does not play enough games (injuries and suspensions) and can he say he has done enough this season to warrant a new deal?

Subs –

Lowe 5.5/10 – Thought he did ok for 20 minutes and was a real threat going forward. He had one shot blocked and another effort too. He was also involved in the second goal. He got really well forward and made Doughty have to defend or go the other way. However, after we led, he then made some mistakes diving in for balls he could not get and leaving us exposed as they broke and then he did not get tight enough on his man on crosses (2nd goal). A real mixture of the good and bad.

Slimane 3/10 – Came on, scored an own goal and blasted a good chance into the Kop! However even outside of this not sure he touched the ball much and he seemed to be unsure of his position. Not saying it was totally his fault that we dropped off after he came on but did set the sense of us now trying to defend rather than attack.

Osula – Only got 6 minutes and stoppage time. One overhead effort that was decent but still not scored for us of course.

Norwood – Did not even realise he was on till he took a floaty corner! A few lumped balls into the box.

Brewster – Surprise to see him back. Not sure he touched the ball!

Manager: Wilder 5/10 – Side and formation he picked did not work and the set up was all wrong as the players sat back and invited pressure. A big relegation 6 pointer where we needed the crowd involved and to start like we did was really poor and he has to take some blame for that in the same way we called Hecky out for negative approaches/beginnings to games. He did react and made the change to the formation and got Lowe on and we did improve. We then got up the field, created stuff and were the much better side and got in front. Maybe he was worried about his yellow or he was shattered and not sure Hamer was great but the change did not work and we then sat back. To be fair he said the same as us in we defended too deep and chucked it away. He says he is finding out about the players but is quickly establishing that they are not good enough and lack mental strength. His comments after the game were like the Wilder from before when he routinely criticised (some might say throw them under the bus!) the team. I felt they were fair comments. There is an argument you keep it internal and don’t publicly slam them maybe but everything he said was right and what many of us are saying? Be interesting what he says when the losses keep piling up as they probably will as will he keep slating them again as that is kind of when it all went awry last time. I went on record as saying even with the 2-and-a-half-year deal was it – that I’d be surprised if he lasts a year. He might come back to start in the Championship next year but with no funds and loads of players leaving and huge restructure to the squad, we will have a season of transition I feel and don’t see us bouncing straight back. Sadly when a team is not winning as fans will demand (certainly at Championship level) then be interesting to see what happens. I worry we will be looking for another manager again in around a year. Hope I am wrong as we need some stability but don’t see Wilder as a long-term plan and seems very short term to me just based on his character and how he operates. He is not someone what will hang around as proved if he does not get the help off the field so what will happen to his relationship with the Prince when half the squad leave (think most need to) and he won’t be given any money (we don’t have any!) to replace them?

Luton – They were what I expected but surprised me with elements of their play. They were direct at times and played it forward quickly and have some physical and strong lads but actually there is an argument they played better football than us for long spells of the game (first half definitely and at the end they got it down and forward to create the crosses – they were not just lumping it into our box). They were positive to start the game and deserved the lead, albeit a mistake. After this we grew into it and 2nd half they fell apart when we finally got men forward and put some pressure on. They looked like they had gone but credit them, they made the changes and Morris gave them a new threat (we have no one like him on the bench and hard to admit even they have a stronger squad with more options – we have Traore and Brewster in comparison!). The goals had some fortune maybe but they put in good crosses and forced the errors. We tossed away so many good crossing chances. In the end maybe a draw was a fairer scored when you look at how the game went (the parts they were better) and the stats which of course favoured us. However, fair play to them for their approach and the way they responded after the two goals. I do not think they will stay up but are having a real good go. They have seemingly recruited better than us and have a good manager and a really together group – elements of the Wilder group that went up last time and they all seem motivated to prove others wrong. There is a real siege mentality about them and a lot to be admitted in that. They have a lot of qualities our group do not and seem fitter and stronger than us. I think what worried me in an albeit even game that we lost by the odd goal, the better technical players they had (McAtee apart). I always thought we would be as good or better than Luton as we had better players regardless of the aggression and physicality they show, but today made me realise I might be wrong and even some of the less known players Doughty and Adebayo showed some good touches today. It was an awful game though and they are not that good a side despite the comeback. If we cannot beat sides like them then we have no chance.

Opponent Man of the Match – Barkley by a mile. Adebayo was lively and strong and Morris made a difference. Townsend’s passing and ball carrying was also a feature. However, Barkley ran the game at times. Made time and space and always kept it. Played the right balls and seemed to control the opening half hour and last 20 minutes.

Opponent Weak link – I thought the back line when pressure looked poor and started to make mistakes and looked clumsy. Osho was the main one and he miskicked a few away or lost his man. We took too long to put them under pressure and then after we did, stopped doing what got us back in the game and spent the final stages defending rather than attacking again.

Referee/Officials – Sam Allison. Nephew of Wayne – the former United striker – I believe? A lot has been made about him being the first black referee at this level for 15 years since Uriah Rennie. However, some of the comments about him and Rebecca Welch this week have been really poor. I’ll judge him (and her) on their respective games. I am sure they have had to work hard (maybe even harder you could argue) to get to this level. They do not just give them the top league for no reason. Anyway, I digress and onto his performance. I have seen a lot being critical of him and I am really surprised by that. I thought for the most part he was fine. A lot are focusing on the corner which was a goal kick and he got that wrong – I think he knew it was not a foul and then sort of went for a corner instead. Got this wrong. However a fair bit happens after that and we need to focus on our own defending. Saw some saying Robinson got fouled but then we saw we could have had a few given against us the other way at Villa Park. Not sure they will intervene in that. Outside of this I thought the referee was fine really. Whether it was intentional or not, the advantage on the McAtee foul helped us score too!

He let a lot go both ways first half and that is fine. Yes McBurnie was being grappled with but so was Adebayo too. He let things go and let the teams get on with it. The bookings were right. I do think that he started to struggle weirdly with the fitness side late on and struggled to keep up with play and a few decisions were not great both ways but not hugely significant ones. We have had lots of worse refs than him this season. The grappling was both ways but some focus on McBurnie rather than the number of times Trusty and Anel had hold of Adebayo. I think it is pretty telling we have got people saying he was awful, but the biggest decision he got wrong was an incorrectly given corner. There was no wrongly disallowed goals, no penalties he missed or even yellow/red cards missed. I find it a bit poor that fans blame refs every week. We have had quite a few decisions go for us (Villa – easily could have been a few penalties and the Wolves penalty for us was harsh to say the least). We are bottom as we are the worst team. We lost that game as we cannot defend and gave up a lead and scored two own goals but let’s blame the referee?

Matchday/Crowd/Coverage – Thought it was awfully quiet for a sell out crowd but that is on the team/manager as we came out flat. Noise levels of course increased after we came back and was a good atmosphere but then we let them off the hook as only led briefly. At the end there was real frustration as we chucked the game away and it was Luton (who did not even sell out) and their fans who were left celebrating.

Two things.
Plan A seems to be - Wes hoof it to McBurnie.
Crowd respond when the players give us something to respond too. Not going to be many cheering and singing to sitting back in your own half.

I know we all admire his fighting spirit but according to Opta, Robinson only won one header all match yesterday, which was the one he planted past Wes. Coupled with his poor passing, his clumsy booking etc, a score of 2/10 would be generous. There was a reason Wilder chose him to be withdrawn. To compare, McB won 12 headers, twice as many as anyone in either team.

I know we all admire his fighting spirit but according to Opta, Robinson only won one header all match yesterday, which was the one he planted past Wes. Coupled with his poor passing, his clumsy booking etc, a score of 2/10 would be generous. There was a reason Wilder chose him to be withdrawn. To compare, McB won 12 headers, twice as many as anyone in either team.
He couldn’t get around, in front of or over Adebayo, it was shocking to see really.

Slimane a tad unfortunate, your joking surely . It was massively unlucky, some older posters might remember Ray Pointers shot for Burnley in the FA cup quarter final that hit Alex Elder on the back of the head and flew in the top corner to knock us out. We are a poor outfit but when your lucks out it's out.

. I think it is pretty telling we have got people saying he was awful, but the biggest decision he got wrong was an incorrectly given corner. There was no wrongly disallowed goals, no penalties he missed or even yellow/red cards missed.

Plagiarism! 😂

I think it's pretty telling we've got people saying he was fucking awful, but the biggest decision he got wrong was an incorrectly given corner.

No wrongly disallowed goals, no dodgy penalties given/not given, no sending offs for nothing, no bookings for things that should have been a straight red. Just a dodgy corner.

Good report DB
Although I’d be surprised if Luton stay up ( as I’ve said all along )
They are good when hoofing it on the shrunken pitch down there but even against us , when we decided to go at them second half there defence was as shit as ours and panicked just as much as us
There keeper made me feel confident in Wes if I’m honest
Although from the beginning of the season I thought we had a chance of staying up , think that ended yesterday
We now need to get a settled team / Squad together now for next season
Has Wes downed tools because he knows a keeper is coming in maybe , but if he’s between the sticks for the Hammers at home then I’d be worried
Bash - Fleck -Thomas - Wes maybe good Nu 2 Norwood ( maybe ok in champ ) Osborn should be thanked for there service and told goodbye, although Bash should get every medical help to regain his health
Mcburnie if he’s not signing a new deal should go
Baldock if he’s not signing a new deal should go
Jebbo if he’s not signing should go
Anel has been fucking dreadful this season and nothing like the player he was last season , and with these displays nobody will be coming in for him
The only bright sparks are Robinson , Brooks , Macker and in brief spurts Arch Mcburnie , Asula , and Predator,
We’ll have the money we need to buy for next season now and should do for keeper - 2 centre backs -2 bastard midfielders and 2 brute strikers if / when Mcburnie goes to Rangers
Macker - Barkley best players on pitch
Worst defences & keepers on both sides
This will be a championship game next season
UTB
Thank fuck I choose not to waste , close to a grand on going to city ( for 3 people as Xmas presents)

Good reporting DB.- my comments would be that I think while CW is in charge never say never!! if anybody can turn it around it is him.
All round a depressing day but I had a feeling it would be bad day (I said this on the forum) ¡, so it proved to be, the way Luton play was always going to give us problems, apart from the fact we gave ourselves all the problems.

I suggested on the matchday forum that maybe CW would go with Davies in goal and got a few negative pelters for it, he surely can't be worse than Wes' !! can he ?

A comment on Anel, even in the championship i didn't think he was that great, he got by in tugging players shirts, frequently lost his man, you can't get away with that in the Prem'
When you look at the current squad at who could we replace in January it becomes a difficult job, as you alluded to you could effectively replace nine or ten players!! that's never going to happen and i'm not sure many of them are going to improve in the Championship, if CW is truly a miracle worker he's going to have to prove it!

Still I keep the faith and keep believing CW could actually perform a miracle THIS season - now i'm off for another drink !!

Thanks again DB, always look forward to your report as depressing as it is these days

Ratings always influenced by result. Luton players lower ratings than ours IMO. We did create 5 scoring opportunities to Luton's 0.
Thats an improvement,putting chances away up next. Good report as always.

I was looking forward to your report DB and it didn't disappoint. Much more insightful than anything I could read in the local or national media. Some of your ratings are a bit harsh but not by much.

I do think there's much hope though in the bigger picture. The core of this team is good for the champ, with a couple of decent athletic signings and Arblaster to come in we should be pushing top two next season. For this season we'll get to 20 - 25 points probably. At least by knowing we're going down from probably March onwards we can plan early.

Referee/Officials – Sam Allison. Nephew of Wayne – the former United striker – I believe? A lot has been made about him being the first black referee at this level for 15 years since Uriah Rennie. However, some of the comments about him and Rebecca Welch this week have been really poor. I’ll judge him (and her) on their respective games. I am sure they have had to work hard (maybe even harder you could argue) to get to this level. They do not just give them the top league for no reason. Anyway, I digress and onto his performance. I have seen a lot being critical of him and I am really surprised by that. I thought for the most part he was fine. A lot are focusing on the corner which was a goal kick and he got that wrong – I think he knew it was not a foul and then sort of went for a corner instead. Got this wrong. However a fair bit happens after that and we need to focus on our own defending. Saw some saying Robinson got fouled but then we saw we could have had a few given against us the other way at Villa Park. Not sure they will intervene in that.
1703691572753.png

We are the worst team..by miles..but that referee seemed to allow Osho to dictate things,mouthing off incessantly, committed a wrestle to the floor on McBurnie..no card...and was like a fucking fart in a trance before our first goal. Not a fucking clue what to do about a likely foul and would not have gone for a VAR check. Which wazzock started the check for a foul on our 2nd goal..?..was it him..?
Absolutely fucking clueless about what to do regarding the racism allegations, again..fart in a trance.
Otherwise, your observations are spot on .Defeat not caused by the ref, rather by Wilder and the terrible team he's managing. Ref not crap due to skin colour. He didn't get promotion cos he's black. Also he was not even near our worst ref performance this season.

Last edited:
Two things.
Plan A seems to be - Wes hoof it to McBurnie.
Crowd respond when the players give us something to respond too. Not going to be many cheering and singing to sitting back in your own half.
Plan A is actually Wes - slow the game down, let the opposition get back into formation and only then hoof it to McBurnie

Great report as always. Just one small correction, we did sign 1 player with premier league experience: Tom Davies! Easy to forget as we've barely seen him.

Plan A is actually Wes - slow the game down, let the opposition get back into formation and only then hoof it to McBurnie
A few years ago Wes actually used to bowl it out cricket style to the defenders, but hardly ever does that now. Shame as it was better for him than his hopeless kicking

Ratings always influenced by result. Luton players lower ratings than ours IMO. We did create 5 scoring opportunities to Luton's 0.
Thats an improvement,putting chances away up next. Good report as always.

I'm not sure about that. 3 of big chances came in that scramble skewing the stats.

For all the XG stuff, I can't recall us missing any sitters really? Indeed did either keeper have a proper save to make all game?

I think Luton had 30-35 mins of the 1st half and the last 15 mins of the game up to stoppage time so around 50-55/98. We had the middle period of the game. I think a draw would have been fairer but its about putting balls in good areas and Luton worked harder and started/finished the game stronger.

In terms of ratings Doughty 1st half, Adebayo, Barkley, Townsend and Morris were all better than ours really and all of those were a 6-7 at least which only Souza and McAtee could really say were close to such scores for us.

Two really poor sides and looked a mid table Champ side which it may well be in a season.

We could freeze frame 20 other moments in games where players have hold of shirts, both ways. We did it 3 or 4 times at Villa Park...the Souza one was exactly the same as above and we did not get penalised. They aren't disallowing that. There is an argument they should give fouls/pens but them same fans would complain if there was 20 free kicks/pens (both ways) in games.

Going back to my OP in the report on officials, I do find it a bit desperate that fans are looking for borderline stuff from officials to compensate for our own inadequacies.

We've just conceded 8 to Burnley and Luton, the two other relegation placed teams.

As I say without the Wolves pen, we wouldn't have won that game and easily decisions could have been given to Villa. The stoppage time stuff has gone against us in games but not sure there's been one direct penalty/goal decision that's cost us a game? The Brentford red was the worst but we won that!

Neutrals just think we are shit. No-one is saying we are getting the rough end of decisions like say Wolves have?

I was looking forward to your report DB and it didn't disappoint. Much more insightful than anything I could read in the local or national media. Some of your ratings are a bit harsh but not by much.

I do think there's much hope though in the bigger picture. The core of this team is good for the champ, with a couple of decent athletic signings and Arblaster to come in we should be pushing top two next season. For this season we'll get to 20 - 25 points probably. At least by knowing we're going down from probably March onwards we can plan early.

Not sure the core will be here though?

Archer and McAtee won't be here and Souza will probably move on too- can't see him playing in the Championship.

Foderingham, Bogle, Lowe, Baldock, Egan, Norwood, Fleck, Osborn, RND, McBurnie and Jebbison are all out if contract so there's a fair chance quite a few move on especially as it's reported none have agreed terms - granted only 2 or 3 I'd offer deals to from above.

We effectively will have to build a new team seemingly.

Last time we went down we had a fair bit of experience but those that are here are 3 years older snd as I say their time is probably up.

You could of course say the counter argument is that if we keep RND, Egan, Bogle or Baldock and McBurnie to add to Anel, Hamer, Brooks, Osula and Trusty then bring back Arblaster we prob only need a new keeper, midfielder and striker to be a top 6 side at the level below. There is no Ndiaye, Berge, MGW though and I think still have a fair bit of a rebuild.

We could freeze frame 20 other moments in games where players have hold of shirts, both ways. We did it 3 or 4 times at Villa Park...the Souza one was exactly the same as above and we did not get penalised. They aren't disallowing that. There is an argument they should give fouls/pens but them same fans would complain if there was 20 free kicks/pens (both ways) in games.
giphy-downsized-large[1].gif

It is depressing to think for the second season we have had at this level, we are almost relegated half through the season but for that the buck stops nowhere but the owner. He clearly does not want/or cannot invest due to lack of money. I am unsure why he got involved really all that time back or took on McCabe other than to make some money? Surely he wanted us at the top level but if he did not have the money to compete than what is the point (maybe he did not realise). He now seemingly wants to make money from the sale (don’t blame him) but cannot find anyone or is asking too much (probably both linked of course) and now we are in this strange state of limbo where he is our owner, but is not really that bothered (if he was bothered he wouldn’t sell) and we are just limping along with no plan on or off the field. As Roy said on BladesPod, we have had 3 seasons out of 5 at this level but have absolutely nothing to show for it. We have not improved the squad, scouting infrastructure, academy status, training ground, ground, or the football side off the field (still one man – the manager and one other man – Bettis – making all the decisions).
We’re in exactly the position we were under Brealey after his stadium redevelopment plan got squashed: An owner who wants to sell and sees no point in spending money they don’t have pending that sale. And, as then, the only potential buyers are crooks and weirdos who can’t actually pay for the club.

Great times.

Back
Top Bottom