Gone to Luton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Don't think people realise how many footballers commute.

O'Connell, Lundstram and Duffy all lived in Liverpool when they played for us, McBurnie lives in North Yorkshire and a few live towards Manchester. Read the other day that Keiron Freeman commuted from Nottingham to Portsmouth.

When you're on tens of thousands a week, an hours drive every morning and afternoon isn't such a big deal.

Surely Freeman didn’t commute to Portsmouth from Nottingham each day? That’s over 3 hours each way!

His family home was probably in Nottingham but he stayed in hotels or had a flat in Portsmouth.

It would make sense to not move kids around the country when you could move clubs again in a short space of time.

Don't think people realise how many footballers commute.

O'Connell, Lundstram and Duffy all lived in Liverpool when they played for us, McBurnie lives in North Yorkshire and a few live towards Manchester. Read the other day that Keiron Freeman commuted from Nottingham to Portsmouth.

When you're on tens of thousands a week, an hours drive every morning and afternoon isn't such a big deal.
Two, if not three of our players currently live in Alderley Edge.

It's London Luton Airport so some players might assume it's part of London!

I’m starting this thread as a consolidation for all the names on here who end up signing for Luton due to their really cosmopolitan town centre, high wages and hordes of fans.
And the fact that when you go to take a corner you can also watch eastenders through someone's window

It's not about Sheffield Haters- the folks on here love Sheffield United/ Bramall Lane- its the best thing about Sheffield-

But the City Centre of Sheffield is a now a disgrace/ embarrassment- Leeds/ Leicester/ Nottingham are literally streets ahead as destination Centres.

John Lewis going was tragic - only needs Marks and Sparks to shove off and that's it - the centre is officially CLOSED.
Nottingham ?? Have you been here recently ? We have a half demolished shopping centre and loads of empty shops in the centre.
Leeds is great, but I don’t think Leicester and Nottingham are better.

Well ok the city centre isn't great (although it's undergoing a lot of redevelopment so let's see in a couple of years) but there is plenty to love about the rest of Sheffield, the shops are there if you need them (last time I checked meadowhall/ crystal peaks had plenty) there are good places to eat if you can be arsed to look beyond a Michelin guide book, some highly desirable areas to live where prices for good properties are way better value than down south/Manchester and yeah we don't have an airport, but let's be honest Leeds Bradford, east Midlands are hardly t'other side of the country.

Let's try and see the positives eh
Sheffield gets hundreds of students every year who go to uni and end up living there. Not everyone wants
Nottingham ?? Have you been here recently ? We have a half demolished shopping centre and loads of empty shops in the centre.
Leeds is great, but I don’t think Leicester and Nottingham are better.
Have to agree, when I've been to Nottingham I thought it was shit 😄 and don't even get me started on Luton. Makes Sheffield look like paradise.

Sheffield gets hundreds of students every year who go to uni and end up living there.

Which is a fantastic thing because they are slowly supplanting the bleating fuckers amongst the indigenous population who are most welcome to fuck off elsewhere if they wish. They aren’t remotely missed. I’ve lived all over the country, very happy to have settled back in Sheffield. Couldn’t give a fuck about shopping.

I’ve heard more than one person from Leeds say - the only good thing about Leeds is the shopping..

It might be more gone to forest than Luton

I fucking love chatgpt

Sheffield United he kindly declined,
No airport, no John Lewis, he opined.
He chose a new quest,
Where airports were blessed,
And department stores always shined.

Luton to London. 33 miles. 1hr 20 mins by car
Sheffield to Manchester 37 miles. 1 hr 30
The way footballers drive you can cut those times down.
For the Snake Pass to Manchester, see the M25 to London.
You can get to London in about 3 hrs from Sheffield. Location shouldn’t mean as much as it does.

One of the reasons to locate the new training ground so it’s easy to head west.

I've been a blade 50 years .living in Norway I've taken wife and grown up children to Sheffield several times. One thing they share : love of Sheffield. Never cares going to London Manchester or Liverpool. They simply love the city. But most of all the lovely People we meet . Easy to look elsewere but sure be proud of the city on here. Sander loves it.

It's not about Sheffield Haters- the folks on here love Sheffield United/ Bramall Lane- its the best thing about Sheffield-

But the City Centre of Sheffield is a now a disgrace/ embarrassment- Leeds/ Leicester/ Nottingham are literally streets ahead as destination Centres.

John Lewis going was tragic - only needs Marks and Sparks to shove off and that's it - the centre is officially CLOSED.
Sheffield City Council will be working on it as we speak

That's a massive building with plenty of room for a soup kitchen, a charity shop, a bookies, a BLM call centre, and a LGBT centre

Well ok the city centre isn't great (although it's undergoing a lot of redevelopment so let's see in a couple of years) but there is plenty to love about the rest of Sheffield, the shops are there if you need them (last time I checked meadowhall/ crystal peaks had plenty) there are good places to eat if you can be arsed to look beyond a Michelin guide book, some highly desirable areas to live where prices for good properties are way better value than down south/Manchester and yeah we don't have an airport, but let's be honest Leeds Bradford, east Midlands are hardly t'other side of the country.

Let's try and see the positives eh
Completely agree. There’s much much more to a city than fucking city centre shopping. In recent years, both Kelham Island and Broomhill have appeared in lists of best places to live in the UK. The biggest thing for me is the peaks. I’m almost equidistant between being in the peace gardens and being in Hope Valley. I suppose Manchester HAS got a better H&M though…

You can get to London in about 3 hrs from Sheffield. Location shouldn’t mean as much as it does.

That’s assuming the players live in Luton or Sheffield and want to visit London…
Flip it the other way round and consider the player lives in London and has to travel to training 4/5 times a week.
An hour or so to Luton is doable; a 3 hour drive to Shirecliffe probably isn’t.

Sheffield City Council will be working on it as we speak

That's a massive building with plenty of room for a soup kitchen, a charity shop, a bookies, a BLM call centre, and a LGBT centre
All of which, with the exception of the bookies, would be far more worthwhile than some temple to consumerism to help people feel briefly better about their otherwise empty lives.

Completely agree. There’s much much more to a city than fucking city centre shopping. In recent years, both Kelham Island and Broomhill have appeared in lists of best places to live in the UK. The biggest thing for me is the peaks. I’m almost equidistant between being in the peace gardens and being in Hope Valley. I suppose Manchester HAS got a better H&M though…
A constant steam of boarded up shops graffiti and litter plus Gregs and other fast food and charity/ pound shops occupying shops space that’s open creates the feeling of a ghetto and feeds apathy

Luton players will live where the Watford , Spurs & Arsenal players live , in the lovely exclusive villages north of London , with the capital just a quick hop away.
If we're talking about players coming from abroad , they're predominantly interested in London life , so Luton is way more attractive to them than Sheffield.
With a few notable exceptions the PL is gradually becoming yet another London-centric phenomenon.
The imbalance is very annoying.
London has about 15% of the population and over 30% of the PL.
And if you add in the south-east , Brighton , Bournemouth & Luton , that's 10 clubs or half the PL.
The north is at the wrong end of an increasingly slanted playing-field.

Luton players will live where the Watford , Spurs & Arsenal players live , in the lovely exclusive villages north of London , with the capital just a quick hop away.
If we're talking about players coming from abroad , they're predominantly interested in London life , so Luton is way more attractive to them than Sheffield.
With a few notable exceptions the PL is gradually becoming yet another London-centric phenomenon.
The imbalance is very annoying.
London has about 15% of the population and over 30% of the PL.
And if you add in the south-east , Brighton , Bournemouth & Luton , that's 10 clubs or half the PL.
The north is at the wrong end of an increasingly slanted playing-field.
It's just reflecting life
All the investment is funneled into the south and the north can fucking starve as far as the ruling classes are concerned

Snake pass to Manchester ? in Winter ? mmmm so may times its closed !

It's just reflecting life
All the investment is funneled into the south and the north can fucking starve as far as the ruling classes are concerned
i don't think it's a north/south thing. there is plenty of investment in leeds and manchester, even sheffield to an extent. the problem is the investment in sheffield is toward student flats, luxury apartments etc. capital controls urban development and developers only have short teem profit in mind, they don't give a fuck about what they do to communities. that being said sheffield is amazing despite the wank city centre. cities shouldn't be judged solely by their centres

Back
Top Bottom