Going with what weve got

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Our back up back 3 and that rangers midfielder have left when we was already short in them areas, Hecky will have had chats with SJ.

Let’s say it was a choice between two outcomes:

going with what we’ve got + no transfers

vs.

selling Rammers, Egan, Baldock + Berge and bring in replacements for them plus 2 loan players (6 in total)

I’d go with what we’ve got. Hands down.

We wont replace our best players we will lose, they are proven intl/PL players.

and don’t forget, going with what we’ve got includes bringing new and old players into the fold

(u23’s, RND, coulibaly, freeman, slater, smith, verrips)

We can talk about freshening things up all we want, but lets face it, the person who made it so stale was the bloke in charge, playing same tactics expecting a different outcome.

We'll see in August. But to expect a teamto be as miserable as United were for that long to suddenly turn back into a positive, winning side with no real additions is wishful thinking.

We've been the legitimate better team 2 or 3 times in the last 50 games.
This 💯… with no new additions we are top 10 at best.

we need some fresh faces with no history and a positive attitude to lift the ones who are still here from last season.

we need a new LCB (Robinson et al are not good enough) 2 new MD with pace and athleticism as a bare minimum.

I would also look to offload one or two of our strikers to be replaced (Moussett anyone?)

Not panicking yet as I thing big Slav knows all this and we will get the 4/5 signings we need.

Not a bad Championship side, but not one that will be challenging the top clubs.
Who do you class as the top clubs?

Fulham lost about 8 players and their manager.
Bournemouth are gradually having their talent eroded away.
West Brom also lost their loan starters and expecting Pereira and Johnstone to go.
Swansea heavily rumoured to be parting company with their manager and also lost players.
Barnsley just lost their manager, Chief Exec and best striker who was on loan and Mowett.

That's the fellow relegation teams, one of which we outplayed twice and the play off teams.

We should be there or thereabouts it's just if the manager can mould a formation and way of playing.

Who do you class as the top clubs?

Fulham lost about 8 players and their manager.
Bournemouth are gradually having their talent eroded away.
West Brom also lost their loan starters and expecting Pereira and Johnstone to go.
Swansea heavily rumoured to be parting company with their manager and also lost players.
Barnsley just lost their manager, Chief Exec and best striker who was on loan and Mowett.

That's the fellow relegation teams, one of which we outplayed twice and the play off teams.

We should be there or thereabouts it's just if the manager can mould a formation and way of playing.
Plus West Brom have taken a huge gamble on a manager and style of play that makes Joe Kinnear look like a chess Grandmaster…

we need some fresh faces with no history and a positive attitude to lift the ones who are still here from last season.

we need a new LCB (Robinson et al are not good enough) 2 new MD with pace and athleticism as a bare minimum.

I would also look to offload one or two of our strikers to be replaced (Moussett anyone?)

Not panicking yet as I thing big Slav knows all this and we will get the 4/5 signings we need.
i agree still think 4 or 5 new faces will come in before the end of august slightly disagree with you on robinson i think he will be good enough for the championship but maybe if davies comes in he will be 2nd choice at lcb

We'll see in August. But to expect a teamto be as miserable as United were for that long to suddenly turn back into a positive, winning side with no real additions is wishful thinking.

We've been the legitimate better team 2 or 3 times in the last 50 games.
Name the only 2-3 games

West Brom away (2nd half especially), Newcastle at home (1st half), Fulham at home (1st half)
So not West Brom at home 20/21, Chelsea at home 19/20, Spurs at home 19/20 Burnley at home 20/21 or Brighton at home in 2019/20 season?

So not West Brom at home 20/21, Chelsea at home 19/20, Spurs at home 19/20 Burnley at home 20/21 or Brighton at home in 2019/20 season?
I'll give you Chelsea and Spurs. West Brom at home maybe just about. Burnley at home was a nothing game. Brighton we were defending most of the game.

But even if you had all of those, it's 8 out of 49

Which Championship squads would you consider superior?

I'll give you Chelsea and Spurs. West Brom at home maybe just about. Burnley at home was a nothing game. Brighton we were defending most of the game.

But even if you had all of those, it's 8 out of 49
So not 2 or 3 then?
Brighton stats

Possession %​

Home​

Away​

Total Shots​

Home​

Away​

On Target​

Home​

Away​

Off Target​

Home​

Away​

Blocked​

Home​

Away​

Passing %​

Don't quite back up your defending most of the game assessment do they?

The main weakness of the team is the poor technique that was exposed last season when applying the possession-based overload. Misplaced passes arose as the PL press exposed it meaning the tactics needed to change.

When Hecky made some slight adjustments, we did eventually improve. If Slav is as good as we hope, and he is focused on better techniques. then there’s no need for wholesale squad changes.

I thought appointing Jokanovic was a statement of intent and would be followed by some much needed quality signings. This may still happen of course but time is ticking on. We are crying out for more athleticism and definitely need a central defender who is dominant in the air.

The current squad is midtable quality. With our parachute payments we need to be aiming higher than that.

So you’re saying a spine of Ramsdale/Egan/Berge/Mcburnie/Mcgioldrick

Is on a par with milwall/Bristol city 🤣🤣

Many supporters are speculating about players coming in, with no knowledge of the Prince and the board’s cash flow.
Slav will have his work cut out to land even one permanent transfer, and the rest will have to be affordable loans.
There is still a debate among fans about the funding available, but it’s possible that both sides are half right.
Don’t expect too much from the purse holders and you won’t be disappointed. :)
Most fans can see the obvious gaps that need filling, but I suspect the club has only limited funds available. Probably less than Slav was expecting.
On the plus side, we have a squad that we know are capable of improvement, and a new mannager who should be able continue that improvement.
The transfer market is riddled with insecurity and most clubs will be hesitant with spending plans. We are not alone, but we are still a division lower than we were last season, with a squad the requires few personnel changes, until the managers sees the size of this new task.
Please be patient with all these difficulties. Give the club a chance.
Supporters are back, yay. 🙏

Many supporters are speculating about players coming in, with no knowledge of the Prince and the board’s cash flow.
Slav will have his work cut out to land even one permanent transfer, and the rest will have to be affordable loans.
There is still a debate among fans about the funding available, but it’s possible that both sides are half right.
Don’t expect too much from the purse holders and you won’t be disappointed. :)
Most fans can see the obvious gaps that need filling, but I suspect the club has only limited funds available. Probably less than Slav was expecting.
On the plus side, we have a squad that we know are capable of improvement, and a new mannager who should be able continue that improvement.
The transfer market is riddled with insecurity and most clubs will be hesitant with spending plans. We are not alone, but we are still a division lower than we were last season, with a squad the requires few personnel changes, until the managers sees the size of this new task.
Please be patient with all these difficulties. Give the club a chance.
Supporters are back, yay. 🙏

Why would Slav, an experienced manager who by all accounts doesn’t take any nonsense, come into a job without getting concrete assurances about the budget available to successfully do it?

I’m not saying that we have plenty of coin, as thankfully we have a board now who don’t advertise our penury at every opportunity by accepting the first offer that comes along for a player, but I am saying that Slav will have known exactly what he was getting into before accepting the job, whether that’s money available or having to sell to then buy.

So not 2 or 3 then?
Brighton stats

Possession %​

Home​

Away​

Total Shots​

Home​

Away​

On Target​

Home​

Away​

Off Target​

Home​

Away​

Blocked​

Home​

Away​

Passing %​

Don't quite back up your defending most of the game assessment do they?
That's Brighton 19/20, not 20/21

I thought putting "in the 2019/20 season" in my initial response might have helped your work that out.
I thought putting "in the last 49 games" in my initial post would help you figure out the 19/20 Brighton game is outside the time frame. Obviously not 🤷‍♂️

I thought putting "in the last 49 games" in my initial post would help you figure out the 19/20 Brighton game is outside the time frame. Obviously not 🤷‍♂️
Read your own post you put 50. It was the 50th league game. Clearly you were not including the cup in your statement as we actually deserved to win some of those games.

Why would Slav, an experienced manager who by all accounts doesn’t take any nonsense, come into a job without getting concrete assurances about the budget available to successfully do it?

I’m not saying that we have plenty of coin, as thankfully we have a board now who don’t advertise our penury at every opportunity by accepting the first offer that comes along for a player, but I am saying that Slav will have known exactly what he was getting into before accepting the job, whether that’s money available or having to sell to then buy.
On the plus side, the board are not courting bids for the likes of Ramsdale, Egan and Berge, not that we know of any firm bids yet!
On the down side, the kind of cash he needs to strengthen the side may only be available if our best players leave. A bit of a catch 22 situation.
Problem is, no one really knows.

i agree still think 4 or 5 new faces will come in before the end of august slightly disagree with you on robinson i think he will be good enough for the championship but maybe if davies comes in he will be 2nd choice at lcb
I probably should have said he’s not good enough to be automatic starter. Decent back up at this level.

Which Championship squads would you consider superior?
I haven’t said the squad isn’t good enough but we are certainly light in some areas and over loaded in others. I believe the squad (on paper) is strong but as with every other season we need to improve it.
It’s even more important this year that we bring fresh faces with no baggage who walk in the door and boss it from day 1.
Mentality is important.

I haven’t said the squad isn’t good enough but we are certainly light in some areas and over loaded in others. I believe the squad (on paper) is strong but as with every other season we need to improve it.
It’s even more important this year that we bring fresh faces with no baggage who walk in the door and boss it from day 1.
Mentality is important.
But you did suggest we're midtable, which would require at least 6 squads to be superior to us, and certainly first teams. I just wondered who they were because I don't see it.

I probably should have said he’s not good enough to be automatic starter. Decent back up at this level.
i think your being slightly pessimistic for me the squad weve got now even with no additions would be good enough for the top 6 but theres no way we will be going with what weve got anyway i would expect at least 2 in before aug 7th and 2 more before the end of august albeit probably loans

We need to freshen things up around the place.
For too long the same players due to lack of quality competition have been nailed on to start every game. Time to shake things up at the back and in midfield.

Dont disagree , but how much did norwhich/watford freshen it up?

I think Slav is the thing that refreshes the team up we also have a few new signings without a single signing been made Freeman/RND

Back
Top Bottom