Going with what weve got

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FriethBlade

Reaction score
No ins or outs yet and we start 2 weeks on Saturday. Who'd be happy to go with what we have plus a couple of loans?

A midfield picked from Berge, Fleck, Norwood, Osbourn, Bogle and Slater would be more than decent in the championship.

A back line from Rammers, Egan, Basham, Baldock, Robinson, Stevens and RND would be as good as any.

We know we don't need any forwards so apart from a.couple of.loans to add strength in depth I wouldn't be too unhappy to see us go with what we have.

Although the Prince might be given it seems to be accepted wisdom you have to sell 40m of.talent when u go down

I, for one, think we need some more signings to plug a totally lopsided squad.

If we want to play jocanovics favoured formations. We have zero wingers or wide forwards in the squad

Barring Freeman, who’s been given about 20 minutes for us in 2 seasons, we have zero attacking midfielders or creativity

One injury or suspension in the centre of defence and we are again relying on fullbacks to play out of position. Didn’t go well last year and is not sustainable if we want to be challenging. At a minimum we need to cover Bryan and Jags depth.

The ‘no outs’ is also likely to change.

Berge I’ve no doubt would be a great player at this level but I can’t see us being able to keep him.

Wouldn’t shock me if ramsdale went also, given where he spent the summer.

There is still time but this squad is so full of obvious holes from its construction over the last 2 years, I’d be concerned we’ve employed a guy to play his style of football and given him non of the tools to be able to do that.

There’s still a glaring hole or two at the back that need filling in my opinion, plus there’s a serious lack of pace out wide (which we’ll want to use under Slav) that hasn’t been properly addressed for a long while.
I'm not sure there is a glaring hole when all are fit....it's strength in depth we lack (like most championship sides) and thats where one or two loans will help us out.

Agree re the lack of pace but all I'm thinking is if we stick to our guns on 35m for Berge I don't see him going anywhere and if he doesn't there's no way we sign anyone decent.

If that's the case l don't think we are too badly off. Every championship team.can point to weaknesses but on paper we look as strong as any.

The biggest factor for me.is the start we make. If we start well confidence will return, if we start badly it could get ugly

We aren't as weak as some suggest, but obviously need strengthening.

If we keep Berge and Ramsdale we've the best GK and Midfielder in the Championship, we've (on paper) a very strong front line. We've good options at each fullback position.
Plus we are possibly bolstered by Freeman and RND, who could be starters.

Whilst we can't rely on them to be world beaters, I'd also expect an upturn in form from most of the dross performers of last year. Looking at Fleck, Mcburnie, Norwood, Brewster etc.

Obvious need for strengthening at CB as well as CM, which albeit based on rumours appears to be our targets (Davies and Hourihanne). Bring in 2 or 3 (ideally to go straight into starting 11) pland think we'll be on the right track.

As ever with recruitment, get the right person in, over the wrong person in early.

No ins or outs yet and we start 2 weeks on Saturday. Who'd be happy to go with what we have plus a couple of loans?

A midfield picked from Berge, Fleck, Norwood, Osbourn, Bogle and Slater would be more than decent in the championship.

A back line from Rammers, Egan, Basham, Baldock, Robinson, Stevens and RND would be as good as any.

We know we don't need any forwards so apart from a.couple of.loans to add strength in depth I wouldn't be too unhappy to see us go with what we have.

Although the Prince might be given it seems to be accepted wisdom you have to sell 40m of.talent when u go down

Have you had a bit too much sun FB? :)

Whilst I don't think SJ has a major rebuilding job ahead of him, there are certainly areas that require improving or at least bolstering. The most obvious being adding more creativity, pace and scoring threat from midfield. The other glaring gap is competition/cover at CB and LCB - what would happen if for example Egan got injured in the first game?
Other changes will be dependent on how SJ wants to set the side up. 2-3 in and 2-3 loans should be sufficient though

I think we have a squad of bang average players, none of whom would walk into any of the current Premier League sides – and most wouldn’t make it into top half Championship sides either. What made us tick for so long was the novel system which suited our individuals to a tee – greater than the sum of its parts and all that.

Now that the system has run its course and is no longer effective (things move on quickly in football) we are left with a squad of bang average players. The new manager will have his own ideas about how he wants us to play, but I’m guessing we don’t have the quality of players required to make any of his previously successful systems work. So one of two things need to happen, in my mind:

1. We need to buy or loan some quality players pretty quickly.
2. SJ needs to devise a system which works utilising what we’ve got.

We don’t seem to be making much progress with option 1, so it looks like we’ll be going with option 2.

I fear an Adkins type season ahead. He massively overachieved* at Southampton given the excellent players he had at his disposal (as with SJ at Watford and Fulham), but died on his arse when given a squad of bang average players to work with at BDTBL. I hope I’m wrong.

* What I mean by overachieved is that he was a bang average manager and the players made him look good.

I thought appointing Jokanovic was a statement of intent and would be followed by some much needed quality signings. This may still happen of course but time is ticking on. We are crying out for more athleticism and definitely need a central defender who is dominant in the air.

The current squad is midtable quality. With our parachute payments we need to be aiming higher than that.

If you want to watch chess pieces being moved about a football pitch for 90 minutes then let’s go with what we’ve got… after last seasons shaming we need fresh blood 🩸 as we know this lot cannot be relied upon if we get a few poor results early on…

Keep Ramsdale, Baldock and Berge?
I'd 100% be happy going with what we've got.

I thought appointing Jokanovic was a statement of intent and would be followed by some much needed quality signings. This may still happen of course but time is ticking on. We are crying out for more athleticism and definitely need a central defender who is dominant in the air.

The current squad is midtable quality. With our parachute payments we need to be aiming higher than that.
disagree the current squad is better than mid table championship 3 or 4 new addidions and were top 6 no problem your forgetting the big gulf in quality between the premier league and the championship

I think we have a squad of bang average players, none of whom would walk into any of the current Premier League sides – and most wouldn’t make it into top half Championship sides either. What made us tick for so long was the novel system which suited our individuals to a tee – greater than the sum of its parts and all that.

Now that the system has run its course and is no longer effective (things move on quickly in football) we are left with a squad of bang average players. The new manager will have his own ideas about how he wants us to play, but I’m guessing we don’t have the quality of players required to make any of his previously successful systems work. So one of two things need to happen, in my mind:

1. We need to buy or loan some quality players pretty quickly.
2. SJ needs to devise a system which works utilising what we’ve got.

We don’t seem to be making much progress with option 1, so it looks like we’ll be going with option 2.

I fear an Adkins type season ahead. He massively overachieved* at Southampton given the excellent players he had at his disposal (as with SJ at Watford and Fulham), but died on his arse when given a squad of bang average players to work with at BDTBL. I hope I’m wrong.

* What I mean by overachieved is that he was a bang average manager and the players made him look good.
I think that beginning part is so far from true it's unreal.

Berge - champions League player (scouted by several top clubs, currently wanted (rumoured) by premier League teams)

MCB - scored 20 plus before joining us
Brewster - again. Similar goals to matches ratio as MCB
Freeman - decent attacking option. No idea why wilder sent him out.
Ramsdale - literally just played for England and got to a final. Granted he didn't play, but he made the team.
Egan - easily premier League quality.
Moose - yes. His attitude and application is lacking (or was last season) but the guys got talent. It's just a case of unlocking it.
Billy sharp - do I need to say anything? King bill. That's all.

The transfer window has been quieter across the board it’s not just us.

there’s loads of clubs who’ve not bought anyone yet. Looking at the championship list of completed transfers there’s not really any in gutted we didn’t sign.

I think we need a few bodies in and I’m not worried because I think we’ll get them in as well.

it’s obviously better to have your business wrapped up early to concentrate on the training side of things but it seems to be slow / late for everyone this year

disagree the current squad is better than mid table championship 3 or 4 new addidions and were top 6 no problem your forgetting the big gulf in quality between the premier league and the championship
So you say the current squad is better than mid table but we need 3/4 additions for top six so the current squad is just above mid table is what you mean.
And yes, we know the Gulf between the premier league and championship is a big one, as our "just above mid table" championship side showed last season

I think we’d be light in some important areas but I wouldn’t be overly concerned. It’s a long season and I could put together a very good, top 6 championship side with what we have for the first 10 games.
The loan signing will come, but the better they are, the later they’re likely to be.

Slav himself has said he won't be talking about deals publicly so I've no doubt the team is working on a few avenues, we just haven't got any inside knowledge of them

In Championship terms we have a strong looking squad on paper but I'd think we'd nearly all agree on needing to freshen things up in certain areas.

Have you had a bit too much sun FB? :)

Whilst I don't think SJ has a major rebuilding job ahead of him, there are certainly areas that require improving or at least bolstering. The most obvious being adding more creativity, pace and scoring threat from midfield. The other glaring gap is competition/cover at CB and LCB - what would happen if for example Egan got injured in the first game?
Other changes will be dependent on how SJ wants to set the side up. 2-3 in and 2-3 loans should be sufficient though
No South just a very infrequent injection of optimism 😀

To be fair it was a question 'would we'...I agree with a lot of comments on here but I'm trying to be realistic as anyone who thinks we are making any signings at all unless we sell at least one major.asset is off their trolley.

At the minute the one we want to sell nobody wants at 35 m and the other I'd rather not sell. So that being rhe case I don't think we are too badly.off if loans plug the strength in depth issue at the back.

Of course we want more pace but we couldn't get that when we spent 100m plus in the premier league so I'm.not holding my breath now we are down a division with very little money to spend

I think that beginning part is so far from true it's unreal.

Berge - champions League player (scouted by several top clubs, currently wanted (rumoured) by premier League teams)

MCB - scored 20 plus before joining us
Brewster - again. Similar goals to matches ratio as MCB
Freeman - decent attacking option. No idea why wilder sent him out.
Ramsdale - literally just played for England and got to a final. Granted he didn't play, but he made the team.
Egan - easily premier League quality.
Moose - yes. His attitude and application is lacking (or was last season) but the guys got talent. It's just a case of unlocking it.
Billy sharp - do I need to say anything? King bill. That's all.
Disagree.

How many of those would walk into a Premiership side first 11?
Rammers maybe.
Berge - I doubt it after he's shown very little for us since he's been with us.
None of the others would get a look in.

Some top half Championship sides may well want McB, Brewster and Egan.

Five half decent players doth not a good squad make!

Problem is going with what we have got, implies the starting 11 of last season, first off hopefully everyone is back fit and close to 100%
Add into last years team Luke Freeman, Rhys Norrington Davies, the U23's coming through, Lunny going, a new management team, clean slate etc How many commented that towards the end of last season Robinson was so much better, okay the measure was Bryan, but going with what we have, is a pretty good starting point

The Euros have only just finished and moves have been delayed by that. If we’re looking at PL loans we have to wait for them to fill out their squads before they will be willing to move on fringe or younger players who need game time. Patience friends.

Disagree.

How many of those would walk into a Premiership side first 11?
Rammers maybe.
Berge - I doubt it after he's shown very little for us since he's been with us.
None of the others would get a look in.

Some top half Championship sides may well want McB, Brewster and Egan.

Five half decent players doth not a good squad make!
Every Championship side would take Rammers, Baldock, Egan, Berge, Norwood, Fleck, McBurnie, Brewster, McGoldrick.
I think Stevens will improve this season against lesser opposition, and I think a fair proportion of the sides would also take Billy, Bogle, Robinson and RND. That means we’ve a decent squad going in and the loans will improve it when they arrive.

Back
Top Bottom