Get Well Soon Dave Bassett

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I said ‘hello’ and ‘thanks’ to him in the car park before the Forest match a couple of weeks ago. Talking to him absolutely made my day and I went home with a massive smile despite the scoreline. My all time Blades hero - he made my teenage years infinitely better. Get well soon, Harry.

I said ‘hello’ and ‘thanks’ to him in the car park before the Forest match a couple of weeks ago. Talking to him absolutely made my day and I went home with a massive smile despite the scoreline. My all time Blades hero - he made my teenage years infinitely better. Get well soon, Harry.
Mine too

I started going in 93 so never really got to experience the highs of the Bassett era but it was clear he walked on water.

I remember him throwing everything bar his pants into the Kop on the last day of the 94/95 season . Would that happen nowadays after a relegation and indifferent following season? Would have been booed off and there would be people all over the internet banging on about how he’d “lost the dressing room”.

My favourite manager, I don't think that will ever change! I wish him all the best in his recovery, he seems fairly relaxed about it which is great to hear and it sounds like they've caught it early which is the main thing with prostrate cancer, obviously.

I still can't believe Harry mortgaged his own house to get a loan so we could buy a player, think it may have been Brian Gayle? Can you imagine any manager doing that now! The man's a legend! In my view when McDonald came in I'd have said, have a weeks holiday - paid for by the club, get some sun on your back, give me a list of transfers you want and we'll spend some money re-building this team. Instead they let him walk out/mutual good bye etc, gave the money to Kendall who was past his best, still a decent manager, but not the promotion expert that Harry was either or suited to keeping us up like Harry had done on a shoestring. I think that was a huge mistake by McDonald and Harry proved by his spell later at Forest that he wasn't just a "long ball" manager, he did brilliantly there until they sold his better players - again!

He made my early- to- mid-20s memorable and made me proud to be a Blade again. He also gave me some of my best days supporting United including Leicester in 1990 and the double over Wednesday. Get well soon, Harry.

Might be misremembering but recall one of his ex players mention he hadn't been well a few months ago so hopefully if he's still up and about as recent as the play offs he's doing okay

I hope they diagnosed it early. If so, it can usually be treated successfully (as I know from my own experience).

Glad you’re sorted BB

I got the same dreaded news last Sept. Knocked my duck off good and proper
Got my ST but stopped going as I lost interest after the diagnosis but carried on watching on the box.
Fortunately diagnosed early so I’m being monitored. I’m expecting something to happen coming months regards treatment as PSA result steadily rising. Just putting off the inevitable really
I’ve renewed my ST though. Got to do my bit.

Very good podcast to listen to btw anyone that hasn't had the chance yet. Could listen to Bassett talk for hours.

Good Luck Blade58
My thoughts are with you.

Cheers digger

Prognosis ok cos they’ve found it early due to having a PSA test every year for the last 10 years as I was starting with an enlarged prostate. (Symptoms can be similar) Since diagnosis now every 3 months. Another blood test next month………can’t wait ☹️

Back
Top Bottom