Four years ago today, United 1 West Ham 0

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Probably the game when we were most grateful for VAR. A harsh goal disallowed for West Ham right at the end. Hopefully a repeat of this result in a couple of weeks. It's good to remember John Fleck at his best.

Ah the good old days and just before the planet shut down for covid.

Probably the game when we were most grateful for VAR. A harsh goal disallowed for West Ham right at the end. Hopefully a repeat of this result in a couple of weeks. It's good to remember John Fleck at his best.

After the goal was disallowed the cheer was so loud it was like we had scored again.

That handball decision haha haha haha
What’s weird is that at the time I thought it was harsh, but actually I don’t think many would complain about it today - he controls it with his arm, not on purpose, but if it doesn’t hit his arm then he doesn’t get to pass it to Snodgrass. The one against Spurs was worse, where he only slightly touches the ball with his hand because he was fouled, yet they didn’t get the goal or the free kick!

I almost can’t watch stuff from that season. We really were a good premier league side, weren’t we? And the atmosphere!

What’s weird is that at the time I thought it was harsh, but actually I don’t think many would complain about it today - he controls it with his arm, not on purpose, but if it doesn’t hit his arm then he doesn’t get to pass it to Snodgrass. The one against Spurs was worse, where he only slightly touches the ball with his hand because he was fouled, yet they didn’t get the goal or the free kick!
Exactly this. At the time, this seemed harsh as everyone was still in 'it isnt handball if its accidental' mode. Nowadays, these are all classed as handball. Still not right though.....

Exactly this. At the time, this seemed harsh as everyone was still in 'it isnt handball if its accidental' mode. Nowadays, these are all classed as handball. Still not right though.....
No, but it’s crazy how you get used to things and caught up in it. If that WASN’T overturned this season, fans would be going mad, and if it was a goal given against Liverpool, Klopp would have the game replayed.

Emotional roller coaster that night. From ecstacy to absolute despair when we thought they had got a last gasp equaliser back to a mind blowing feeling of joy at the var decision in our favour.
What an incredible experience a bit like when Ollie scored in last min v Manure then it going to var in what seemed an eternity before we were allowed the goal. What a great season.

The Shoreham View vlog captures this moment superbly. Definitely the most I've laughed during and immediately after a game.

The drive back to Wakefield after the game listening to all the Wet Spam fans on Talk Sport's Sports bar was beautiful shocking decision up there with Lunny's toe nail.. Loved it one to dine out on that one ! UTB

It was the correct decision. The ball would have gone out for a throw in if it hadn't hit his hand.

The goal would be given now. Because Rice wasn't the goalscorer, they would say that the ball 'deflected' onto his arm (off Egan's head). I'm not saying that I agree with that law, but that's how it stands this season.

Not quite right on the handball point. If the same happens this season it's not a handball because the player gaining the advantage (accidental or not) from handling the ball isn't the one who scored. The clearest example of this is Newcastle's first goal at the Lane.

That said, if it's not handball it's a clear foul on John Egan by Rice.

I almost can’t watch stuff from that season. We really were a good premier league side, weren’t we? And the atmosphere!
Possibly my favourite season ever, this and the 91/92 seasons the only ones I've seen where we have really looked the part in the top flight. Of course the Gods couldn't allow that to continue and inflicted covid in us to stop us in our tracks!

I remember a tense standoff in Jury’s hotel pre that match cos a shammer was wearing a Tevez shirt . Needless to say it wasn’t long before the old bill turned up in numbers . Then walking past the cricketers a couple of 20 something shammers were chanting Tevez only for some old lad blade with a flat cap to chin him . TBF I have a few Irons as mates and they’re sound . Just know how to push our buttons I guess !

I know what you mean.

Very harsh, but Egan's header would have likely gone out for a throw in if it doesn't hit his arm. And it's his lower arm. In a way it's sort of correct weirdly.

What a great night that was. Just about the peak of the best years we’ve had as a club, in recent memrie. Wonderful times.

Back
Top Bottom