Match Thread West Ham United v. Sheffield United - 30th September 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WHU
WHU
WHU

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1695922443356.png vs. 1695922449328.png

Premier League Matchweek 7 - Saturday 30th September 2023 - 16:30 - Tax Payer's Stadium
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/west-ham-united-vs-sheffield-united.663/

Officials:

Referee: Graham Scott
Assistants: Timothy Wood, Mark Scholes
Fourth Official: Keith Stroud
VAR: Darren Bond
Assistant VAR: Stuart Burt

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 18.33.23.png

West Ham sat in second half, we ran out of ideas when we reached their area which is why our second shot on target came in the 96th minute.

Better? Well better than conceding 10 in 3 halves of football yes. But nowhere near good enough to get any points on the board. If we had scored WH would have upped it and scored again imo.m

One positive I will add is that Slimane looked better than any of our incumbent midfielders and I hope he starts at Fulham.

I am definitely not in the "get hecky out" crew I believe he's trying to do the job with his hands tied , will the prince pull the plug , no I don't think he will !!! For one he's on a long contract and who's going to take the job ?? I for one certainly don't want wilder back ! Despite the fantastic memories,
Maybe a good foreign largely unknown guy ??
Bit like Wednesday did you mean 🤔

Agree with those saying better 2nd half,it was just that final ball,pass wasn't there..subs made a difference and hopefully we can draw a few positives and confidence from that 2nd half.

Agree with those saying better 2nd half,it was just that final ball,pass wasn't there..subs made a difference and hopefully we can draw a few positives and confidence from that 2nd half.
I’d consider starting next week with:

Wes

Baldock (if fit) Bash Anel Trusty Thomas

Hamer Davies Slimane

McAtee

McB

That 2nd half from us was better indeed,

But as others have said, West Ham definitely took their foot off the gas... so may have flattered to deceive a little

Wes

Hamer Davies Slimane

McAtee

McB
Don't mind it,but not sure Davies and Slimane have got enough minutes in them..maybe get an hour out of them i suppose,and both did ok when coming on.

As we have all season looked a lot less fragile when egan went off
Comical on the first goal
Running five yards behind everyone else no where near anyone
Weak on the second ,tye defnce is at sixes and sevens whenever he plays

Don't mind it,but not sure Davies and Slimane have got enough minutes in them..maybe get an hour out of them i suppose,and both did ok when coming on.
I would agree about the minutes. Replace with Norwood/Souza after 60, McAtee drops to left side midfield with Archer coming on.

I would agree about the minutes. Replace with Norwood/Souza after 60, McAtee drops to left side midfield with Archer coming on.
Not against it,although I thought Souza did ok 2nd half,but still room for improvement..Glad to see Brewster come off the bench,and give us another option up top,albeit off the bench for now,and McB looked better once he came on..Archer was feeding on scraps again to be fair.

So then, the perfect storm. A directorate that wants to sell the club. A sub-standard squad for the division. Inadequate investment to seriously attempt to stay in the division. A manager who just gets on with doing his best under the circumstances. Need to sell the club before the January transfer window; otherwise, relegation will definitely be accepted, and we go again in the Championship next season in a Groundhog Day manner, possibly even with Hecky still in place as a proven Championship manager!

The set-up and investment isn't adequate, so don't blame the players and manager; the club isn't adequately financed or attractive, so don't blame the investors. Not sure how this loop will be broken out of?!?

Not against it,although I thought Souza did ok 2nd half,but still room for improvement..Glad to see Brewster come off the bench,and give us another option up top,albeit off the bench for now,and McB looked better once he came on..Archer was feeding on scraps again to be fair.
I just feel that Davies might give us a level of dynamism that is currently missing.

Once we stopped trying to pass it around at the back we looked half-decent. Slightly worrying that Davies added some energy to the team even though he looked knackered and a bit off the pace more or less as soon as he came on. Slimane was decent, using all the subs made a nice change.

Not sure why McBurnie seemed afraid to shoot, a few times in the second half Bogle gave him it and he just passed it straight back, still better than Archer who seemed afraid to even go into their area when he had the ball and always looked backwards. Brewster did much better when he came on.

Giving the second goal away was a shame, 1-0 down at half time would have made for a far more useful second half, as West Ham just sat back and let us have the ball a lot more than they would have with just a 1-0 lead, so it's hard to judge how much better the improved second half actually was.

So then, the perfect storm. A directorate that wants to sell the club. A sub-standard squad for the division. Inadequate investment to seriously attempt to stay in the division. A manager who just gets on with doing his best under the circumstances. Need to sell the club before the January transfer window; otherwise, relegation will definitely be accepted, and we go again in the Championship next season in a Groundhog Day manner, possibly even with Hecky still in place as a proven Championship manager!

The set-up and investment isn't adequate, so don't blame the players and manager; the club isn't adequately financed or attractive, so don't blame the investors. Not sure how this loop will be broken out of?!?
The loop will eventually be broken because all things eventually change. Until then, and without serious investment, we are doing as expected for a club of our size, a good championship club with the occasional foray into the big league. That won’t change without investment.

He was the greatest manager we've ever had, there's no one in the past who has performed a Brian Clough like miracle of taking a bottom of the table league 1 side to challenging for a Champions League place with alot of the same league 1 players. Sounds impossible, still can't believe it happened and we played good football too.

So if we need an impossible miracle...then we've seen with our own eyes Wilder can do it.
However I agree with the thought train that 2nd spells for managers generally don't work so Im not 100% convinced in Wilder either
Depends how desperate we are and what the other options are
If it's looking like with Hecky we have zero chance of staying up then at least with Wilder we do have a chance of not just staying up but finishing well clear of the relegation places. Still think on an individual player basis this years team is better than the Wilder team.

However Wilders success was based on the unique overlapping centre backpack tactic which was practiced over a few seasons.
So without that tactic...I'm not sure he's any better than Hecky...but once the players have lost faith in the manager...then Hecky needs putting out if his misery.

I suppose the decision is
1: Do we just accept we going down with 0% chance of staying up?
Do we accept we'll rarely attack in most games this season and are just keeping the score down to 2-0 or 3-0 every week.
It will be embarrassing but do we stay strong and use the logic that Hecky will get us promoted next season in the Championship?
However I didn't see anything special regards Heckys management last season, without N'Diaye don't think there's any way we'd have made the play-offs.
The main positive last season was Heckys pragmatism and negativity.
We'd go 1-0 then sit back defending the rest of the game, ironically this negativity helped us gain scrappy unconvincing wins.
Our defence would often be under loads of pressure in the Championship but we were so deep and organised that quite often our goalie would have little to do.

2: Regards Wilder, we've seen with our own eyes he's capable of performing miracles, so with this team we could end up mid table.
It could also go pear shaped, Wilder is quite emotional compared to the calm Hecky and it could turn toxic.
I'd give Hecky another match or 2 and if there's no sign of competing performance wise (not results wise)
then in my view we've nothing to lose taking the risk giving the job to Wilder.
Superb and constructive post

I know it’s been a long time since we’ve seen him so that will be why you’ve forgotten that Brewster is able to drop deeper to pick up the ball & run at teams.
Can he , I haven’t seen that

I’ve heard the rhetoric but not seen it .

Wes

Hamer Davies Slimane

McAtee

McB
Where’s Souza ?

You called me out at not knowing what I was talking about when I said he offers nothing .

Infact , you insulted me by saying that you wouldn’t expect me to know what he offered the team

Where’s Souza ?

You called me out at not knowing what I was talking about when I said he offers nothing .

Infact , you insulted me by saying that you wouldn’t expect me to know what he offered the team
What on earth are you wibbling on about now? Are you ok?

What on earth are you wibbling on about now? Are you ok?
Fine

Just answer the question

You insult people and act cocky . All I’ve done is ask you where Souza is in your line up ,when you clearly supported him to the extent that you said that you wouldn’t expect me to understand what he offered the team when I criticised him

Nick

It’s not hard

Fine

Just answer the question

You insult people and act cocky . All I’ve done is ask you where Souza is in your line up ,when you clearly supported him to the extent that you said that you wouldn’t expect me to understand what he offered the team when I criticised him

Nick

It’s not hard
Ok, I’ll indulge you.

I rate Souza, but I think if he is being asked to do a bit too much if we are persisting with a 3, especially as McAtee’s strength isn’t in providing any sort of midfield graft. So I want more central midfield mobility and to retain the grit, but I don’t want to lose McAtee’s attacking threat.

So I am sacrificing Souza for the mobility and PL experience of Davies, and also dropping Archer so I can retain McAtee, who will play slightly behind McB. Slimani comes into the midfield as I think he deserves a start and to freshen things up. We have a squad. None of this means that I don’t rate Souza.

Is that ok for you?

Ok, I’ll indulge you.

I rate Souza, but I think if he is being asked to do a bit too much if we are persisting with a 3, especially as McAtee’s strength isn’t in providing any sort of midfield graft. So I want more central midfield mobility and to retain the grit, but I don’t want to lose McAtee’s attacking threat.

So I am sacrificing Souza for the mobility and PL experience of Davies, and also dropping Archer so I can retain McAtee, who will play slightly behind McB. Slimani comes into the midfield as I think he deserves a start and to freshen things up. We have a squad. None of this means that I don’t rate Souza.

Is that ok for you?
Well

Thank you for indulging me

You should read your own posts

Awful cocky and condescending

We're going down like BHS, We're going down and it aint no stress.

Back
Top Bottom