Match Thread FA Cup: Sheffield United v. Brighton & Hove Albion - 27th January 2024

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
BRI
BRI
BRI
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1706216899875.png vs. 1706216907157.png

FA Cup Fourth Round - Saturday 27th January 2024 - 15:00 - Bramall Lane
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Player Ratings:
Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-brighton-hove-albion.697/

Officials:

Referee: Sunny Singh Gill
Assistant referees: Lee Betts & Akil Howson
Fourth official: James Linnington
VAR: Darren Bond
Support VAR: Michael Salisbury
Assistant VAR: Timothy Wood

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 21.11.52.png

Joao Pedro had an excellent game. Won it with a world class strike and the turn to win the penalty was sublime.
Brighton have a smattering of really top class players and their movement and one touch passing was something to admire.
We only produce that very sporadically. Three passes and we’re done, but sometimes it works.
Brighton are a nice mix of pace, latin skills and no nonsense defending with Dunk and Webster blocking almost everything.
Yeah they dive to win free kicks but our Billy did that all the time…
Our team needs some serious work. The defending is absolutely awful sometimes. How many times did we have chance to clear before Bogle did his flappy rag doll bit at the key point in the match.
We have the basics of a decent team but conceding five at home again illustrates the depth of the problem.

I'd also add BBD to the positives. Hopefully he can get some fitness back, because once we lost him and Osula we hardly offered anything going forward.

Yeah, he looked pretty good again, just didn't quite make the obvious impact Osula did, I kind of hint at that in the Archer negative comment in fairness

Why the he'll does it take VAR so effing long when it was absolutely clear within seconds it was onside

Brighton man only about 5/6 yards offside, linesman on John Street keeps his flag down and we play two passages of play before he raises it.

Goal goes in, which you can see realtime is onside and I've not seen any replay yet - but what will be immediately obvious at any angle due to the lines on the pitch - we have to wait for minutes while they have to see if they can manufacture a reason to rule it out.

Games gone.

Brighton man only about 5/6 yards offside, linesman on John Street keeps his flag down and we play two passages of play before he raises it.

Goal goes in, which you can see realtime is onside and I've not seen any replay yet - but what will be immediately at any angle due to the lines on the pitch - we have to wait for minutes while they have to see if they can manufacture a reason to rule it out.

Games gone.
Which goal? Both our goals were rightly checked because they were very marginal. Must obviously be more frustrating being in the ground without the benefit of slo-mo replays though.

i dont have an issue with Brighton. great 1st goal wondergoal, 2nd in modern times its a penalty & id be annoyed if we didnt get it, & for 4 & 5 its not great but after the rank incompetence yet again from VAR after they make it 3-2 & the players were never going to recover from that, its like letting all the air out the balloon

but what makes me furious is double standards in media are going to pee me off, we get a fair late penalty on Sunday & its like we are up on a murder charge, its still getting discussed on Thurs, everyone slandering the club, Mark clattenburg voiced his opinion for only time this season. but ill guarantee there wont be 1 peep about Brighton 2nd Penally. who knows what its for. i assume its for non deliberate handball as i cant think of anything else which winds me up since 2018 world cup. because god forbid you might upset 1 of the top 10 in premier league. & the rest will just get trampled on.

it is sour note VAR tried everything they could to rule out our 2 goals & yet allowed brighton alot without checking. & your thinking thats the officials making sure we lost after furore of last Sunday. as VAR was only in operation for 1 team today & it wasnt us

Which goal? Both our goals were rightly checked because they were very marginal. Must obviously be more frustrating being in the ground without the benefit of slo-mo replays though.

Our second is the one I meant. I've not seen any replays yet, but I'm confident in what I will see.

No problem at all, if it's still in use, them checking every goal - providing they are consistent - but how it could have possibly taken so long I've no idea.

i dont have an issue with Brighton. great 1st goal wondergoal, 2nd in modern times its a penalty & id be annoyed if we didnt get it, & for 4 & 5 its not great but after the rank incompetence yet again from VAR after they make it 3-2 & the players were never going to recover from that, its like letting all the air out the balloon

but what makes me furious is double standards in media are going to pee me off, we get a fair late penalty on Sunday & its like we are up on a murder charge, its still getting discussed on Thurs, everyone slandering the club, Mark clattenburg voiced his opinion for only time this season. but ill guarantee there wont be 1 peep about Brighton 2nd Penally. who knows what its for. i assume its for non deliberate handball as i cant think of anything else which winds me up since 2018 world cup. because god forbid you might upset 1 of the top 10 in premier league. & the rest will just get trampled on.

it is sour note VAR tried everything they could to rule out our 2 goals & yet allowed brighton alot without checking. & your thinking thats the officials making sure we lost after furore of last Sunday. as VAR was only in operation for 1 team today & it wasnt us
The osula incident was as much a pen as the Pedro one

First time we have lost.to Brighton since January 2005.

Playing a left footer on the right and vice versa is making us easy to defend against and very predictable. Cuts service to the centre forward with hardly any early crossing coming in

It's an interesting one as regards the push on Osula because it quite clearly was made with the intention of pushing him into an offside position, the player thought he'd achieved it by putting his hand up immediately, bare minimum it's ungentlemanly conduct which in days of old was a foul
Why wasn't the cunt booked?

They might be be good at the dark arts (and I wish we were too), but as footballers they are much more skilful than us. It’s one-touch football again three-touch football.
Diaz when he goes in for the ball, he comes out of it like a fucking baby giraffe dropped from a low flying plane. Fucking pathetic.

One again the front 3 failed to execute a basic press.

Archer quite simply is not on an intelligent footballer. I can only imagine he was hung out on the left for the entire game as he won’t start Tuesday.

Norwood, slow, immobile and error strewn.

Osborn low champ standard player.

But overall as a team we were poor and did not do the basics required to be competitive in a game of football.

Why wasn't the cunt booked?
It was bare minimum unsportsmanlike behavior which is a yellow card offense but in this instance it would be a denying a goalscoring opportunity which is a straight red, so had it been called offside there's a case of it being a penalty and the player being sent off, but judging by the time it took the VAR officials to come to their judgments it never in a million years would it have been given

Our second is the one I meant. I've not seen any replays yet, but I'm confident in what I will see.

No problem at all, if it's still in use, them checking every goal - providing they are consistent - but how it could have possibly taken so long I've no idea.
Yeah, the second looked more clear-cut than the first, but in both cases it was probably Osula's shoulder vs the defender's foot so a few extra lines to draw? What confused me on the first is that after it showed that Osula was onside, they still played through the rest of the move looking for anything else to rule it out for?!

On the replay you can still see that Osula is stood outside the six yard box, whereas the defenders foot is clearly past it, just by looking at the lines on the pitch.

Deary deary me, 2-5..... not a particularly confidence boosting day is it.....
Would Wilder have been better playing Wes??

I was in the South concourse when that went in, so got to see the replays. It looked extremely marginal in real time, and clearly off on the first angle they showed. It wasn't until they showed a second angle which was more level with the play, which showed Osula was JUST onside. I pretty much berate linos for not giving obvious calls when someone is off every weekend and they will only start doing so when someone is seriously injured after playing on for no reason, but this one was very tight and you wouldn't even have spotted who played him on initially in all likelihood

Can't believe no one has mentioned the Brighton defender trying to push Osula into an offside position TWICE! Then, when it goes in, he nonchalantly stands there wagging his finger. Looked a right niblick when it wasn't ruled out. Anyway, you can't do that, can you? First time I've ever seen someone try that.

On the replay you can still see that Osula is stood outside the six yard box, whereas the defenders foot is clearly past it, just by looking at the lines on the pitch.

Yep, now seen it and looks as obviously onside as I thought. No need to draw any lines, why did it take so long?

IMG_2427.png

Can't believe no one has mentioned the Brighton defender trying to push Osula into an offside position TWICE! Then, when it goes in, he nonchalantly stands there wagging his finger. Looked a right niblick when it wasn't ruled out. Anyway, you can't do that, can you? First time I've ever seen someone try that.

Maybe if he falls over from the push like the average PL striker does and wins a penalty, the Brighton defender doesn't try it again. But he'll learn, although probably not here as that sort of thing isn't the Blades way

Not sure where this is coming from. Which big decisions did he get wrong? That first pen was soft but Bogle did trip him. Second was definitely handball. There were no dodgy incidents where we should have had a pen. Not sure of the reason for the scathing summary.

Yep, now seen it and looks as obviously onside as I thought. No need to draw any lines, why did it take so long?

View attachment 178190
Webster blatant attempt to push Osula into an offside position so blatant then when we score up goes Websters hand. I bet if we didn’t score there wouldn’t have checked it

Back
Top Bottom