EDDIE HOWE

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bob 433 could be

Baldock Egan JOC RND

Bogle new player Fleck

McBurnie, Brewster, Moose/new player

Not sure about the work rate.but it would. certainly be an attacking side !

Bob 433 could be

Baldock Egan JOC RND

Bogle new player Fleck

Would prefer one of the front three to be a bit quicker than the other two

Bob 433 could be

Baldock Egan JOC RND

Bogle new player Fleck

Think it’ll likely be a 3-4-3 keeps the defensive structure so it doesn’t need to be fully rebuilt over the summer but also utilises his favoured front 3.

That’s a bit disingenuous, I’m certainly not against him coming in. What I’ve been trying to find is balance amongst our fans by challenging the notion that he’s the least risky option - he isn’t. He’s just as risky as Blessin and more risky than Howe. From a financial and long term planning point of view he’s the highest risk in my opinion, he succeeds or we’re in trouble. He also doesn’t always play nicely with the board.
There has also been a narrative that he is the big name, almost guaranteed promotion which is also an optimistic take on it. He was seriously backed and had budget far bigger than most of his competitors both times and no one kept him. In fact no one has kept him long term and despite him being available no one has looked to get him back over here in the last 2 years.
He does play very attractive attacking football, and he’s certainly the biggest name and the most expensive. I just hope the gamble pays off and as a paying fan I’ll take the attacking football all day long.
I don’t think he’ll be playing 4-3-3 though, because that means buying a defence as well as a midfield for next season as Bash won’t be much use to us.
I think he's less of a risk than blessin myself, he has experience of promotion from the league we're going to be in. Regarding him being not kept on at the previous two clubs, Watford were gutted to see him go, as was Fulham. It could also be argued that he had players forced upon him at Fulham which lead to the decline. I'd say many teams haven't looked to get him back over, as I imagine he'll probably be on a massive contract with a decent compensation payment needed to get him out of it.

I think he's less of a risk than blessin myself, he has experience of promotion from the league we're going to be in. Regarding him being not kept on at the previous two clubs, Watford were gutted to see him go, as was Fulham. It could also be argued that he had players forced upon him at Fulham which lead to the decline. I'd say many teams haven't looked to get him back over, as I imagine he'll probably be on a massive contract with a decent compensation payment needed to get him out of it.
How are you defining risk?
Risk of not getting promotion or risk of leaving us with a huge financial hangover if it doesn’t?
That’s the risk I’m talking about. He has no long term planning reputation so he’s short term and expensive. If he gets us promoted then it’s all forgiven, if not we’ll have blown our chance and advantage after our PL jaunt.
High risk, high reward. Comparatively Blessin wasn’t anywhere near that level of risk and if it didn’t work out the we wouldn’t have blown the budget. If it did work then we’d secured one of the top a European talents, and got promoted on sensible budget with a long term plan to include the kids.
Thats not to say Slav won’t do the same, it’s just he never has before.

That’s a bit disingenuous, I’m certainly not against him coming in. What I’ve been trying to find is balance amongst our fans by challenging the notion that he’s the least risky option - he isn’t. He’s just as risky as Blessin and more risky than Howe. From a financial and long term planning point of view he’s the highest risk in my opinion, he succeeds or we’re in trouble. He also doesn’t always play nicely with the board.
There has also been a narrative that he is the big name, almost guaranteed promotion which is also an optimistic take on it. He was seriously backed and had budget far bigger than most of his competitors both times and no one kept him. In fact no one has kept him long term and despite him being available no one has looked to get him back over here in the last 2 years.
He does play very attractive attacking football, and he’s certainly the biggest name and the most expensive. I just hope the gamble pays off and as a paying fan I’ll take the attacking football all day long.
I don’t think he’ll be playing 4-3-3 though, because that means buying a defence as well as a midfield for next season as Bash won’t be much use to us.
how can jokanovic be a bigger risk than blessin thats rubbish bob hes never managed in england before and thats a bigger risk as for the system why cant we play 4 at the back joc wont be the same again and basham only has 1 more season imo he may come in and buy a new centre back partnership as for his prefered front 3 what about burke mcburnie and brewster ? not a fan of mcburnie as you know but both him and brewster played better in a front 3 at swansea than either of them have in a front 2

Think it’ll likely be a 3-4-3 keeps the defensive structure so it doesn’t need to be fully rebuilt over the summer but also utilises his favoured front 3.
i think he will ditch the back 3 yogi and go to a 4

i think he will ditch the back 3 yogi and go to a 4
I think if we’re to go to a 4 it would involve a complete rebuild in terms of defensive personnel outside of Egan and O’Connell and I don’t know if either of those will be playing for us next year. Also worth considering the academy sides have played a 3 for a good few years now and they would also need to adjust. Whereas a 3-4-3 would be more of an iteration of the current system but allow jokanovic to implement his preferred attacking style.

Yeah but none of our central defenders would be any good in a back 4
egan will be sold and its doubtful joc will be fit for august plus bash probably only has 1 more season in him so we havent really got a back 3 anyway i think 2 new centre backs will come in

how can jokanovic be a bigger risk than blessin thats rubbish bob hes never managed in england before and thats a bigger risk as for the system why cant we play 4 at the back joc wont be the same again and basham only has 1 more season imo he may come in and buy a new centre back partnership as for his prefered front 3 what about burke mcburnie and brewster ? not a fan of mcburnie as you know but both him and brewster played better in a front 3 at swansea than either of them have in a front 2
So I’ve listed many times why he’s a bigger risk.
If he doesn’t get us up the financial situation will be dire and we won’t have a long term plan in place. We’ll be writing off the investment and planning for a serious squad overhaul. That is the biggest risk there is to our long term future and hopefully he pays off as we all win.

We can’t play 4 at the back with Basham, and in all fairness Egan isn’t JoC. If JoC comes back and is fit then Egan and JoC could be OK but will be susceptible to any sort of pace. You would also need to buy 2 reserves given the injury history and huge risk of either being out. So at least 2 if not 3 potentially first team centre halves. Full back we’re set so no worries there.
Midfield you’ll need 3 plus replace those who leave.
Then you’ve got upfront, will we really go with Burke or do we need another player for that position?
That’s 7 players, 4-5 first teamers assuming for a promotion aiming squad. That isn’t going to come cheap.

I think if we’re to go to a 4 it would involve a complete rebuild in terms of defensive personnel outside of Egan and O’Connell and I don’t know if either of those will be playing for us next year. Also worth considering the academy sides have played a 3 for a good few years now and they would also need to adjust. Whereas a 3-4-3 would be more of an iteration of the current system but allow jokanovic to implement his preferred attacking style.
whether its 3 at the back or 4 midfield is the important area for recruitment as weve said on here many times jokanovic is likely to keep norwood but im not sure about fleck he seems to have gone for me possibly 3 new midfielders required

whether its 3 at the back or 4 midfield is the important area for recruitment as weve said on here many times jokanovic is likely to keep norwood but im not sure about fleck he seems to have gone for me possibly 3 new midfielders required
Didn’t he bomb Norwood out last time once he was promoted? Norwood is now several years older and proven to be unable to perform at the desired level.

I don’t even know about him keeping Norwood personally he wasn’t particularly motivated to sign him permanently at Fulham. One thing is for sure he likes technicians Norwood, cairney and McDonald all at Fulham with him.

If he doesn’t get us up the financial situation will be dire and we won’t have a long term plan in place. We’ll be writing off the investment and planning for a serious squad overhaul. That is the biggest risk there is to our long term future and hopefully he pays off as we all win.

We can’t play 4 at the back with Basham, and in all fairness Egan isn’t JoC. If JoC comes back and is fit then Egan and JoC could be OK but will be susceptible to any sort of pace. You would also need to buy 2 reserves given the injury history and huge risk of either being out. So at least 2 if not 3 potentially first team centre halves. Full back we’re set so no worries there.
Then you’ve got upfront, will we really go with Burke or do we need another player for that position?
That’s 7 players, 4-5 first teamers assuming for a promotion aiming squad. That isn’t going to come cheap.
yeah agree with some of your points bob but after covid theres not gonna be much money about in the championship anyway and we could be in a better position than most think your right anyway we will need at least 6 or 7 signings but they dont all have to be for big money berge and egan will be sold so that should be 50m and if wolves want to give us 15m for mcburnie i would pay his train fare down there lol

Didn’t he bomb Norwood out last time once he was promoted? Norwood is now several years older and proven to be unable to perform at the desired level.
yeah but norwood is a championship player and in any case he may well only be on the bench we really need to recruit players with creativity and pace in midfield

yeah but norwood is a championship player and in any case he may well only be on the bench we really need to recruit players with creativity and pace in midfield
Let’s hope he is the Championships Pep and we football our way to the title. The only thing I then need to worry about is not being away to attend.

Bob 433 could be

Baldock Egan JOC RND

Bogle new player Fleck

Not sure about the work rate.but it would. certainly be an attacking side

4-3-3 with Basham in the Claude Makélélé role in midfield...

I don't know if he'd be any good in that role or not but I just don't want to miss the opportunity to call him "Bashélélé"

4-3-3 with Basham in the Claude Makélélé role in midfield...

I don't know if he'd be any good in that role or not but I just don't want to miss the opportunity to call him "Bashélélé"
I was going to suggest Ian Bishop but I don't think I would want to see him Bash-a-Bishop in the centre circle.

If Celtic have approached Jose as reported in the media, this might have legs again ?? Just saying like !!
As ever UTB!!

A Fulham fan I do business with says pretty much that the rumours that came out nearly all the signings that season were forced on him, he wanted 3 targets to improve the squad but just stayed for the pay off
They were mostly gutted that he left

A Fulham fan I do business with says pretty much that the rumours that came out nearly all the signings that season were forced on him, he wanted 3 targets to improve the squad but just stayed for the pay off
They were mostly gutted that he left

They went nuts, made Villa look sensible in the market. Basically ripped up the team that flew up the Championship (were in the bottom half when they beat us 5-4!). Some of the signings were very left field, and I think it was fairly common knowledge the owner was meddling, rather than leaving it to the manager.

Sounds like all systems go now with Celtic.

Just waiting for play offs to decide how much compo for the Bournemouth staff he wants, unless they get promoted and choose to stay.

TS South Coast reporter says no way Tindall goes with him as confirmed what has been mooted before, they've fallen out.

So you’re convinced that Blessin would have have got us up without any of the problems you described happening?
Or the difference between his salary and Jonkavic's would mean that the remedies you also described would be impossible?

So you’re convinced that Blessin would have have got us up without any of the problems you described happening?
Or the difference between his salary and Jonkavic's would mean that the remedies you also described would be impossible?
It’s not just the salary it’s the whole package. Securing him for the money he’s demanding, then overhauling the squad with the players he’d want to play his formation and the contracts those players would want. It’s a 3 year commitment which burns through all the money and doesn’t bring the young players through. It’s a new defence, new midfield and probably a forward or two. If it goes tits up we’ve no money left but we’ve a large wage bill to support. SJ has question marks around him due to where he’s been for the past few seasons and the fact he doesn’t stay anywhere for very long so it’s all in, high stakes, big reward.
I’d rather have someone who wants to be here, has a longer term strategy for lifting the level of our side and if they are capable of coaching players to higher levels than they currently display then he’s the least risky choice.
Blessin had risks due to his inexperience but wouldn’t spend the same so it may last longer, and use what we have as well as the kids when they’re ready, but is he the real deal? It’s irrelevant anyway because we can’t get him.
Clement on the other hand has the experience, a better record of success on a lower budget and does it by developing younger players. He ticks all the boxes aside from being the most expensive choice.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom