East end of nothingness

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Had a good chinwag with quite a few Hammers fans before and after the game. To a man (and woman lol) they HATE the stadium. I didn't want to sound patronizing but I felt genuinely sorry for them. Stratford Station and that horrendous shopping centre. Image the Blades playing bang next to Meadowhall 😫 I would absolutely hate it. I couldn't even be bothered to sing "you're not West Ham anymore" to the group of West Ham chavs in the seats adjacent to us, because, well they aren't! And Hammers of a certain age know that. Their sadness is palpable.

I honestly wouldn't swap BDTBL for a packed 100,000 seater plastic stadium and Champions League football. Nope, after witnessing yesterday, if ever we were to leave the Lane then I really would find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Had a good chinwag with quite a few Hammers fans before and after the game. To a man (and woman lol) they HATE the stadium. I didn't want to sound patronizing but I felt genuinely sorry for them. Stratford Station and that horrendous shopping centre. Image the Blades playing bang next to Meadowhall 😫 I would absolutely hate it. I couldn't even be bothered to sing "you're not West Ham anymore" to the group of West Ham chavs in the seats adjacent to us, because, well they aren't! And Hammers of a certain age know that. Their sadness is palpable.

I honestly wouldn't swap BDTBL for a packed 100,000 seater plastic stadium and Champions League football. Nope, after witnessing yesterday, if ever we were to leave the Lane then I really would find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Maybe this is their punishment for the Tevez saga? Losing their iconic ground to have it replaced with an athletics stadium.

Bet they all wish Spurs had got it now.

There were a lot of Germans in the crate pre match. Perhaps they’re doing tourist deals to get the stadium full?

Christ almighty I didn't realise is was so bad until seeing these photo's. WTF is that big trench between the tiers? Do they still use it for Athletics? I could actually see a better argument for grassing the whole lot and making it a cricket venue. West Ham United truly are dead, you could feel sorry for the fans ...................... well almost.
I'd go along with your cricket, scenario, providing they put a roof on it. Same as Wembley, why oh why didn't they roof both of them? Finance I know, but whilst your doing it, our weather almost demands it. I'm sure it would pay dividends, multi use venues, in the end.

I'd go along with your cricket, scenario, providing they put a roof on it. Same as Wembley, why oh why didn't they roof both of them? Finance I know, but whilst your doing it, our weather almost demands it. I'm sure it would pay dividends, multi use venues, in the end.

The atmosphere in the Millennium Stadium when the roof is closed is incredible too. In fact, that stadium is far better than any of those mentioned above.

I think that it 'previously' was a tip. I was told that there was originally a concern that the stands would sink in relation to the pitch. Can't find any evidence that that has happened.
That's right - it's an old landfill site. There are methane vents dotted around the stadium.
Suffers from being too far away from the town centre, with nothing round it except offices and a retail park.

Maybe this is their punishment for the Tevez saga?

In some part it is. Their Icelandic owner was stripped of wealth by the financial crisis so wasn’t well placed to bankroll a club hit with a £20m bill on top of the cost of improving the squad.

Enter the dildo salesmen and the reality TV star. ☠

Remember it pissing it down at Springfield park and everyone huddled under that tin roof at the top of the grass banking.

Also went in the 4th division in bright sunshine. That was after asking locals where the ground was only to be directed to the rugby ground. Got in about 10 mins after ko

The stadium needs fitting out the bottom tier needs ripping out and rebuilding.

The seats need putting closer to the pitch on all four sides. Man City have managed to do it.

View attachment 63285View attachment 63286View attachment 63284

They dug down there though, it was planned, might be prohibitively expensive to do the same, might be infrastructure under the pitch. Also still has to be an athletics stadium.

Also look at the rake of the existing tiers, London Stadium is so shallow if you dug down the back row would be so far away from the pitch you'd need to include those 20p a go binoculars you get at the seaside.

One of the worst views was at BDTBL from the cricket pavilion side at the big games.

But so many of us fell in love with the place.

Feck me, even I feel sorry for them after reading that lot and I hate them with a passion! If we ever move away from BDTBL that will be me done with it. UTB
I don't. Long may their misery continue. Hopefully they go on a bad run, get relegated, then relegated again. Then spend 6 years (or ideally 60) in League 1. Before finally goig bust and ceasing to exist altogether.

Their "fans'" misery is like a fine wine. It just gets better.

Fuck them.

Awful place, it's like concrete city around the ground. Having to queue for 20 minutes just to be searched was a joke (and that was only to get onto the perimeter of the stadium) and the setup after the game to get back to the station was absolutely ridiculous. We all think the SYP steel wall is OTT but that's nothing in comparison to what they had out yesterday. It was literally bollards/walls/fences & stewards with stop/go signs the whole way back to the train station.

I feel sorry for the fans, but not for the club.

It's a shit view aswell, you can't tell what's going on at the far end of the pitch. Watch it back on MOTD and you'll hear the Blades fans cheer when Robinson misses that sitter as from our POV, it looked like it was going in but he actually fucked up and the ball went the other way!!!

IMG_20191026_145947.jpg

if you are being pragmatic it makes sense to build new stadium very few clubs can survive on just football as revenue stream ( e,g concerts, american footbal etc ).
the problem with west ham is it was a balls up from the start they should have built it with a view to building a football stadium that can hold athletics rather than the other way round.

there are some so called souless plastic bowls that are good ( sunderland is one that when full is cracking) but it looks like if we are going to be a top PL side then someone will have to make a decison on whether Bramall Lane can survive at the cost of top tier football.

lets face it if Inter and Milan and Roma/Lazio can share a stadium theres no reason that two sheffield teams cant maybe on some piece of land off the parkway ( i know its controversial but i did say i was being pragmatic)

if you are being pragmatic it makes sense to build new stadium very few clubs can survive on just football as revenue stream ( e,g concerts, american footbal etc ).
the problem with west ham is it was a balls up from the start they should have built it with a view to building a football stadium that can hold athletics rather than the other way round.

there are some so called souless plastic bowls that are good ( sunderland is one that when full is cracking) but it looks like if we are going to be a top PL side then someone will have to make a decison on whether Bramall Lane can survive at the cost of top tier football.

lets face it if Inter and Milan and Roma/Lazio can share a stadium theres no reason that two sheffield teams cant maybe on some piece of land off the parkway ( i know its controversial but i did say i was being pragmatic)
No way.

Don’t go there.... please

I’ll stick my neck out - didn’t think it was that bad.

I was in the home end with West Ham
ST in laws. Boozing before and after at Hackney Wick. Some great places round there with new stuff popping up all the time.

The stadium looks impressive on the walk from Stratford International and as you walk in it’s different feel to Pride Park, Stadium of Light and all the other drab breezeblock structures that have gone up in recent times. Some effort has gone into the design. Sure, we are used to a traditional ground packed in amongst terraced houses but for better or worse it’s a different world now and in time what we expect a football ground to be will change.

Easy enough to get refreshments (less than a minute queuing for a pint) and I liked the half indoor half outdoor concourse.

I was sat on the upper tier, very far away from the action but my seat on the Kop has a shocking view so glass houses, stones etc. Very little in the way of atmosphere though. I was worried I’d get outed as a Blade and expected to have to keep my mouth shut but was sat talking during the game and nobody seemed to care.

In fact the atmosphere before and after was pretty convivial. Talking to West Ham fans before and after. One or two in Carlos Tevez masks. Think it’s safe to say it’s a rivalry that is fizzling out. Might be a bit more lively when they come to the Lane though.

In short it’s a good day out and whilst I’d never want us to move there as it’s not a ‘football stadium’ I’d look forward to going back next year. It’s like what you imagine a Prem game played in America to be like, you’d come away thinking “they didn’t do a bad job with what they had to work with”.

Worst ground I’ve ever been to? Don Valley when Rotherham Played there.

It's a shit view aswell, you can't tell what's going on at the far end of the pitch. Watch it back on MOTD and you'll hear the Blades fans cheer when Robinson misses that sitter as from our POV, it looked like it was going in but he actually fucked up and the ball went the other way!!!

View attachment 63290

I heard that on radio sheffield. Wasn't sure what happened, as when cheer for a non-goal it's normally followed by a huge ''AAHHHHH!!!'' from the other side.

Nothing!

I assume they're used to it, knowing that no sod can see anything. They probably couldn't it wasn't a goal either! 🤣

Looks dreadful as a ground. Was it loud when they scored, or is even the acoustics shite?

but it looks like if we are going to be a top PL side then someone will have to make a decison on whether Bramall Lane can survive at the cost of top tier football.

That might have been true in the past, but to be a top club now you need a benefactor. Leicester City would be a similar sized club who stepped up given that advantage. And their stadium is smaller.

If we’re talking mere survival, Bournemouth do ok on the back of a benefactor and an outstanding manager.

Yeah but they won’t be running any 100 metre races at the Etihad anytime soon.

Yeah, but who cares? There will never be another occasion when you'll need a big capacity stadium to watch athletics anyway apart from a major games and if we ever get one of them again they'll build another stadium anyway. The Etihad was a brilliant bit of work and it cost a fraction of the London effort.

Thought we agreed not to be like Albert.

I don't. Long may their misery continue. Hopefully they go on a bad run, get relegated, then relegated again. Then spend 6 years (or ideally 60) in League 1. Before finally goig bust and ceasing to exist altogether.

Their "fans'" misery is like a fine wine. It just gets better.

Fuck them.
Stop sitting on the fence and let us know what you really think of them 😗 UTB

There you go! Mind the gap!! Worst view in the PL by a mile!

Attachments

• F6F577BD-2F15-4EE1-8887-C40753BD4683.jpeg
    F6F577BD-2F15-4EE1-8887-C40753BD4683.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45

Go and put yer thumb up yer bum.

Back
Top Bottom