Don't let the win fool you

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Regardless of performance any team scoring three goals is going to be unlucky not to get something from the game

It's about results now, plain and simple and very few teams play well for 90 minutes. The key is to make hay when you are playing well and weather the storm when you aren't.

I wonder if Burnely's supporters are moaning tonight, because they were poor for 45 minutes but then got their act together for a 1-0 win?

Or maybe Boro's supporters are fretting because they hung on for their 1-0 win?

If you don't believe either of those assessments, read their manager's post match comments.

That's the 5th game on the trot where we've looked poor bar a 15 minute period and some individual brilliance.

If Ndiaye is out for a period then don't be surprised if the wheels start falling off... They're wobbling at the moment.

Don't forget this is stoke fighting off relegation who we let run the midfield.
Isn’t that what Bournemouth did all last season. Who cares as long a we are promoted

I'm all for open discussion on a Forum, but I've had a really rather shitty week. Today was the best thing about the week because I saw United win at the Lane with the people I have suffered and celebrated with for the past 15 years, so I'll be fucked if someone is going to try and tell me I shouldn't have enjoyed it because I'm being fooled. Fuck that for a game of soldiers.

I'm all for open discussion on a Forum, but I've had a really rather shitty week. Today was the best thing about the week because I saw United win at the Lane with the people I have suffered and celebrated with for the past 15 years, so I'll be fucked if someone is going to try and tell me I shouldn't have enjoyed it because I'm being fooled. Fuck that for a game of soldiers.
Nobody is saying you shouldn’t enjoy it, unless I’ve missed something? Enjoy it pal ok

That's the 5th game on the trot where we've looked poor bar a 15 minute period and some individual brilliance.

If Ndiaye is out for a period then don't be surprised if the wheels start falling off... They're wobbling at the moment.

So what about Burnley's crap performances over the same period then? They've ground out the results just like us. Have you never witnessed a promotion push season before? What about the last one under Warnock? It was utter shite in the main throughout far worse than this. It's what happens when the pressure is on every game. Maybe we can click our heals and start entertaining more and longer when the pack can't catch us, but for now it's ALL about the result and the points. I'll take looking poor, winning 10 out of 12 and 11 clear of 3rd any day.

3-1 win and something like this get posted 😂

Either you're on the beg for attention or you're off your head!

I didn’t enjoy it today. I thought didn’t think we played like anywhere near the level we are capable of, and there was several players who i thought was poor today, and for the long period it was 2-1 I was expecting Stoke to peg it back to 2-2.

I’m more than happy with the win, more so that it takes us 3 points closer to where we want to be, and sides that win despite not playing well are usually the same aides that go up, although I do think we haven’t played that well since the Burnley win despite on paper being on fine form.

I’ve been going to the Lane for long enough to have seen loads of stuff unravel quickly in the past, and plenty of times too. I might be being a negative fucker tonight but I’ll rather not get carried away at this stage and just take it at a game at a time

We won. It was fucking beyond shite but we won. Its similar most weeks. Not exciting just make hard work of what should be a routine win

Everyone says Blackburn are in a false position. Obvs. But I think to a certain extent so are we. Being 11 points clear of 3rd, with the way we've dug out points is not leaving me with a confident end of season run in. I think we'll get auto, but hang on for a white knuckle ride to the final games.
but the facts suggest you're wrong.

Accept that we don't tend to play well in midfield, so don't look a great team but based on XG data we create better chances that the opposition virtually every match.
Opposition teams (like Stoke today) might have plenty of attacks against us but rarely look like scoring.
Our goalie Fodderingham often has very little to do most games. We've has terrible injuries 1st half of the season
so logic suggests we should be better in the 2nd half of the season once our players are back.

Basically all the XG data suggests we are comfortable the 2nd best team in the league.
Even today Stoke had an incredibly low XG of 0.34, basically even though they attacked for long spells they didn't do enough to deserve a single goal.

Teams that play poor, but still win, get promoted.
Yes, we have not been ourselves recently but yet we are in dreamland position wise.
We will still have a February wobble, its the Blades way.
Keep the faith, many more twists before the end of the season.

Everyone says Blackburn are in a false position. Obvs. But I think to a certain extent so are we. Being 11 points clear of 3rd, with the way we've dug out points is not leaving me with a confident end of season run in. I think we'll get auto, but hang on for a white knuckle ride to the final games.
How are we in a false position?
After 27 games the table is false?
Please explain your mathematical formula to show how our plus goal difference and points total is incorrect, or are the other teams below us worthy of more points and goals?

We play poor and win, play great and win, sometimes play great and lose, what matters is the goals scored in a game.

You’re entitled to your view, but you must have a very high opinion of yourself to assume that you see things that others can’t and to have the arrogance to come on here to share your wisdom. Unlike you, I only speak for myself and will continue to make my own mind up.

We take our foot off the gas and stop taking risks when we're 2-0 up imo, and rightly so, there's no point in knackering yourself out and risking being more open, even if it does make the game less entertaining for some. It's all about game management and we're good at it, which is why we're second and heading for promotion

No I won’t have that. Poor is not a strong enough word.
It weren’t brilliant but if you scratch between the surface it shows how awful this league is and the fact we don’t have to do much to win a match.

Back
Top Bottom