Does Berge want away

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

True, but just before he joined us he was heavily linked with Napoli, Liverpool and Chelsea.

I doubt he'd have joined us when he did if we were bottom half of the Premier League, put it that way.
Could sell him to Pool with a heavy buy back clause

He's played ok in the more advanced role in midfield, apart from the Cov-Blackpool-Dingles games where he has gone into hiding (very poor attitude if you ask me), so if we don't go up it's a bonus we can sell him and use the funds to bolster the team in the weak areas ... straight down the spine of the team captains/leaders/winners at centre half, centre mid and proper target man forward.

If we do go up, wouldn't bother me if we got shut in that scenario too. He's a weakling both physically and mentally, move him on either way.

True, but just before he joined us he was heavily linked with Napoli, Liverpool and Chelsea.

I doubt he'd have joined us when he did if we were bottom half of the Premier League, put it that way.
Who linked him with these ? Would it possibly be his agent who also linked him with Arsenal ?
Mrs Sitwell might link me to taking her on holiday to Mauritius ,doesnt mean its going to happen.

I'd guess he's referring to his poor injury record when he talks about staying healthy and not insinuating he's going to start backing out of tackles. He's been more aggressive then he ever has been under Heckingbottom. It was only 2 weeks ago he was part of the unbelievable pressing display against Boro.

He’s going in the Summer if we go up or not we either cash in on him if we were to gain promotion as he’s not a game changer or if we don’t go up we have to get rid to balance the books plus the player will want to go to a higher league So I can’t seem him staying regardless and to be fair I don’t think he would be missed like JOC has been.

I hope he moves somewhere good

He'll never really fit in here, he isn't gobby enough, he doesnt kick people, he doesn't run about like a four year old that's had a ball thrown down the garden for him to fetch, and he doesn't understand that playing out of position is something everybody must be versatile enough to do even if there's somebody playing in your position who is better playing in the position you have been asked to play in

I hope he moves somewhere good

He'll never really fit in here, he isn't gobby enough, he doesnt kick people, he doesn't run about like a four year old that's had a ball thrown down the garden for him to fetch, and he doesn't understand that playing out of position is something everybody must be versatile enough to do even if there's somebody playing in your position who is better playing in the position you have been asked to play in
I tire of hearing the usual excuses:

He’s a different kind of player.
He’s out of position.
He needs to play with better players.
He’s been injured.
He needs time to adapt.
He’s done well but our fans are too stupid to see it/prefer cloggers.

Let’s be honest - he arrived for big money and has been bang average at best for most of his time here. With his ability, that isn’t good enough. He should be running the show.

Only now is he starting to deliver, so let’s just all get excited about that.

I tire of hearing the usual excuses:

He’s a different kind of player.
He’s out of position.
He needs to play with better players.
He’s been injured.
He needs time to adapt.
He’s done well but our fans are too stupid to see it/prefer cloggers.

Let’s be honest - he arrived for big money and has been bang average at best for most of his time here. With his ability, that isn’t good enough. He should be running the show.

Only now is he starting to deliver, so let’s just all get excited about that.

We also remember a player on YouTube playing for Genk who picked the ball up and his first thought was, Attack, and he ran past players for fun.

He's never had that freedom here, he was judged on his height by Wilder and stuck in a role 5 yards in front of Egan to head balls away

I agree he's been a poor signing, but that was United's fault for buying the wrong player for the job and looking at his 6ft 5 inch frame and thinking, "Yes, a defensive midfielder, just what we need"

The article (and website it comes from) is obviously a load of shite, but it's difficult to say Berge 'deserves' anything more than playing for a Championship team

If he was genuinely a class above, like a lot on this thread have said, you would think he would be dominating most matches. You would think he would go to the likes of Blackpool and Barnsley and LOOK a class above. But he's only done that - how many times? 3 or 4 times this season?

Far too many games pass him by, and he's too safe on the ball. He doesn't impose himself on matches. At the moment he looks like a Championship player playing in the Championship.

Clickbait at its worst, however I’d be very surprised if the lad who was talked about as a ‘hot prospect’ 2 years ago is overly happy with toiling in the English Championship for the remainder of his contract with us. It’s not a stretch to suggest he’s playing for a move.

We also remember a player on YouTube playing for Genk who picked the ball up and his first thought was, Attack, and he ran past players for fun.

He's never had that freedom here, he was judged on his height by Wilder and stuck in a role 5 yards in front of Egan to head balls away

I agree he's been a poor signing, but that was United's fault for buying the wrong player for the job and looking at his 6ft 5 inch frame and thinking, "Yes, a defensive midfielder, just what we need"
Under Wilder we were playing him right side of a 3 man midfield with scope to attack The problem was the team was starting to perform poorly and he didn't live up to the hype. He has skill but doesn't demand the ball enough and so only performs in patches of a game.

As for playing with Genk I think the team and the league suited him better. I don't think he would be that effective in the PL with any team. The pace of the game is something he struggles with. He is a decent enough player but we didn't buy the player we needed and we paid alot for him which of course brings expectation.

Under Wilder we were playing him right side of a 3 man midfield with scope to attack The problem was the team was starting to perform poorly and he didn't live up to the hype. He has skill but doesn't demand the ball enough and so only performs in patches of a game.

As for playing with Genk I think the team and the league suited him better. I don't think he would be that effective in the PL with any team. The pace of the game is something he struggles with. He is a decent enough player but we didn't buy the player we needed and we paid alot for him which of course brings expectation.

Yes, I agree with that
He isn't suited to the English game
He's quiet, shy, laid back and he doesn't endear himself to our fans who want players who run about a lot, shouting, and fouling people, which is still known in these parts as "getting stuck in"

Yes, I agree with that
He isn't suited to the English game
He's quiet, shy, laid back and he doesn't endear himself to our fans who want players who run about a lot, shouting, and fouling people, which is still known in these parts as "getting stuck in"
From my perspective its not about him getting stuck in but about him using his undoubted skills to influence the game more. Being more central to the play. As a club we don't have a history of having or developing a creative player who can dictate the tempo of a game.

I saw Ray Wilkins play at the end of his career in 93 for QPR. He ran the show and kept the whole team moving. He didn't run fast or clatter guys. But he was always looking for the ball, always moving in to space to receive it and alot of the time played good early quick balls to strikers and wingers. Thats the type of player I would like to see in the team. Its fine having a guy run up and down but a player with the vision to read the game and to dictate the tempo is invaluable.

Clickbait at its worst, however I’d be very surprised if the lad who was talked about as a ‘hot prospect’ 2 years ago is overly happy with toiling in the English Championship for the remainder of his contract with us. It’s not a stretch to suggest he’s playing for a move.

I didn't think the article was too bad. Plenty of insight from Berge about his time here.

The whole hype piece that frames the interview content will be driven by his Agent, who will be trying his best to position him for a move.
Berge wanting out is obvious. I just hope he realises he needs to play hard to get his move.

Whilst he has undoubtedly improved under Heckingbottom, and shown glimpses of real quality, I'd still give him a piggy back to any club who offered us what we paid for him.

“In time, anything is possible. It’s just a matter of playing and staying healthy now, then many doors open.

“We’ll just see when that time comes. The most important thing is just to work hard here, be part of the national team, play well and raise the level.”
How else do you answer that especially when a home journalist is probably cheerleading you to join a more well known team?

"I never see myself leaving here, now I've finally made it to the Blades. I'll probably die here. I've already made enquiries about having my ashes scattered on the right touchline!" 😁

Haha I do agree. I was obviously excited when we signed him but we absolutely didn’t need him.

I have long said that Wilder, love him as I do, got ahead of himself and thought he’d made it as a manager. He bought fancy players full of potential, like Brewster and Berge, instead of trying to consolidate and tough it out.

Meanwhile, we got tactically outclassed, or usually just outclassed, and he wouldn’t change the system to get the best out of the better players he’d bought.

I wouldn't want to see him go, but if we did sell, thereby giving us a bit of cash injection, if it meant we then had the investment to buy MGW, I wouldn't be too disappointed. Suppose it all depends which league we're in.

Haha I do agree. I was obviously excited when we signed him but we absolutely didn’t need him.

I have long said that Wilder, love him as I do, got ahead of himself and thought he’d made it as a manager. He bought fancy players full of potential, like Brewster and Berge, instead of trying to consolidate and tough it out.

Meanwhile, we got tactically outclassed, or usually just outclassed, and he wouldn’t change the system to get the best out of the better players he’d bought.
Replace Lunny. Replace JOC.

Nah.

Splurge 18m on a keeper, because I can. Spend 23m on a 6th striker, because the Board daren't not back me.

That's what it felt like. We needed to strengthen what we had rather than assuming they were already good enough. Signing Brewster wasn't going to help us create more chances and signing a perm keeper wasn't going to make up for O'Connell's absence.

Did a great job, but the Premier League signings just didn't add what was needed to the mix IMHO.

Spoken like the man who didn't check him out on Youtube
Yes, ok I believe you
When you’ve seen one, you’ve seen ‘em all. Everyone looks good on YouTube.

I’m only surprised that someone would seriously reference it.

When you’ve seen one, you’ve seen ‘em all. Everyone looks good on YouTube.

I’m only surprised that someone would seriously reference it.

Nobody is seriously referencing it.

YouTube clips show a players good moments, which at least gives a very basic insight into what a player does well and what type of player he is, but it doesn't give any details of what he doesn't do too well because they're obviously not highlighted.

We haven't seen enough of what he does well because he hasn't been used that way often enough.

He isn't a defender, a wing back or even a defensive midfielder in my opinion, we haven't seen him excel in that role once.

A midfielder with a licence to get forward and we've seen snippets of it

So I maintain that he is a good player, but not the player we needed if a defensive midfielder was what we were after

He isn't a defender, a wing back or even a defensive midfielder in my opinion, we haven't seen him excel in that role once.
I’m pretty sure he said that he’d only ever been used as a sitting midfielder prior to coming here and the concept of driving forward and getting in the box is something he’s still learning. I’d need to re listen to the interview though.

I think his point was that he’d played that role in a less frenetic league where he had plenty of time on the ball and English football doesn’t lend itself to a sitting midfielder who wants time on the ball.

Back
Top Bottom