Does Berge want away

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think he came with the thinking we could be a stepping stone essentially.
It's not quite worked out that way just yet.

Reckon if we were still in the PL he'd be more wanting to stay of course.

Something of a win-win for him where if we go up, he's playing Premier League football and even if we don't and he continues to play well, there might be someone in the Premier League already who's willing to give us a few quid for him.

His current form has been a long time in coming so hopefully we'll see some sort of benefit in one form or another.

I’m pretty sure that the club will also have earmarked Berge to be sold if possible this summer.

He’s playing well and it will largely depend on the division we’re in to how much we can get for him. But I’d fully expect him to be touted into a bit of an auction to increase his value

Whilst I don't blame him in that when he joined us he thought he was coming to a top half Prem team who at the time were challenging for Europe. However until very recently he's been a big disappointment given the reputation he came with and he's not exactly taken games by the scruff of the neck and imposed himself on them.
He's had the full backing of the fans who've been desperate for him to succeed.
While it's true that he's been unlucky with injuries, I think he might be too nice to make it at the very top level. He's still seems to view himself as a sitting playmaker, but I'd argue he's way more effective in a more advanced position when he's using his natural physicality to boss the opposition and carry the ball. If he adopts that position properly he'll get his move, but I'm still thinking more Everton/Villa than Man City/Liverpool.
Still, it's win win for us if he continues on his upward trajectory - we get a quality player for the run in and a few much-needed extra pounds when we flog him.

I'm surprised he's even kicked a ball for us this season in the Championship as I thought he'd be gone last summer.

When he does go, there shouldn't be any ill feelings. He was playing Champions League football the season we signed him and joined us when European football was a possibility, so I doubt playing against Barnsley and Blackpool was on his list of priorities 2 and a half years on.

If he gives it everything to earn his move, that'd mean he's performing well for us so everyone's a winner. And if he bombs on, beating men for fun, passing well, and remarkably, showing some strength (like he did v Blackburn, Swansea and Boro) he'll be worth a few more quid than the holding midfielder we thought we were getting. If he gets back into his lethargic, wandering ways, less so.

I'm surprised he's even kicked a ball for us this season in the Championship as I thought he'd be gone last summer.

When he does go, there shouldn't be any ill feelings. He was playing Champions League football the season we signed him and joined us when European football was a possibility, so I doubt playing against Barnsley and Blackpool was on his list of priorities 2 and a half years on.

Agree.....he's damaging his international ambitions playing in the 2nd tier of the English league.
Surely his priority next season must be to play in the PL.
He'd prefer it to be with us....but if we fail to gain promotion then he's no choice but to consider other offers.

I agree - what would be a good move for him? Defensively he's still a bit clueless - doesn't seem to know what to do when we're not in possession which suggests he needs to go somewhere who do have a lot of the ball and I'm not sure any of those sides would want him. Where in the Prem do you think he'd go and do well?

He didn't say anything like the headline suggests. He said "in time, anything is possible".

None of us thought he'd be here this season and had he been able to prove his fitness last season he would have had more clubs looking at him in the summer.

He's a down to earth bloke who is motivated to improve, stay fit and play for his country.

If that means he wants to go, a) it's a cynical way of wording it considering he'll be pushed out of the door if we need to sell and b) tell me a player who doesn't want to move up, with or without us

Thoughts

I commented on Saturday that he was hanging out of battles, probably to avoid injury.

With the Summer approaching and his health record I do worry about his frame of mind when he's talking about "staying healthy" and hoping "many doors open."

He lacks a lot of character does Berge. Seems a lovely lad, but his heart and aggression is questionable. He could be the difference to our promotion drive, but he doesn't seem to want to be and already has his eye elsewhere.
We sort of knew this would be the case, but have a look at MGW if you want an example of how to behave with the club you're playing for.

Let's not overplay the whole Champions League angle eh?

He was playing Champions League Football for Genk.

If we were based in Belgium, we'd have the third most valuable squad right now and we'd have the biggest gates by about 7,000 even at this level.

I just think a lot of made of playing in the Champions League and being a Champions League player when achieving this status isn't all that hard if you go to a poor enough league. Union Saint-Gilloise are going to win the Belgium league, they are newly promoted and really have nobody of note.

Big step to be going from CL player in a smaller league to retaining that status in one of the major ones.

"Speaking about his future, Berge told Norwegian outlet TV2: “In time, anything is possible. It’s just a matter of playing and staying healthy now, then many doors open."

That would explain his laclustre performance on Saturday, wants to play but stay fit.

If he gives it everything to earn his move, that'd mean he's performing well for us so everyone's a winner. And if he bombs on, beating men for fun, passing well, and remarkably, showing some strength (like he did v Blackburn, Swansea and Boro) he'll be worth a few more quid than the holding midfielder we thought we were getting. If he gets back into his lethargic, wandering ways, less so.
Won’t do any harm if he keeps popping up with a few goals as he has done lately to stick a few million on his price tag.

Villa will take him in the close season..

Nothing against the lad, he's knocking his chances in and that'll do for me..

If we were based in Belgium, we'd have the third most valuable squad right now and we'd have the biggest gates by about 7,000 even at this level.

I just think a lot of made of playing in the Champions League and being a Champions League player when achieving this status isn't all that hard if you go to a poor enough league. Union Saint-Gilloise are going to win the Belgium league, they are newly promoted and really have nobody of note.

Big step to be going from CL player in a smaller league to retaining that status in one of the major ones.

True, but just before he joined us he was heavily linked with Napoli, Liverpool and Chelsea.

I doubt he'd have joined us when he did if we were bottom half of the Premier League, put it that way.

True.

I've been to Genk. Belgian Doncaster.

He heard that shower of shite across the city want him, he heard they were massive.
Must be true he wants to leave....I mean who can't resist a golden elephant pay day.

“In time, anything is possible. It’s just a matter of playing and staying healthy now, then many doors open.

“We’ll just see when that time comes. The most important thing is just to work hard here, be part of the national team, play well and raise the level.”

Good player playing well (atm) causes transfer speculation.
Who d have thought it?

Agree.....he's damaging his international ambitions playing in the 2nd tier of the English league.
Surely his priority next season must be to play in the PL.
He'd prefer it to be with us....but if we fail to gain promotion then he's no choice but to consider other offers.
How do you know he’d prefer it to be with us

Back
Top Bottom