CONFIRMED David McGoldrick Signs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

S6 Blade

Reaction score
on trial according to the star

Worth a punt as he won’t cost owt but taking up wages still

30, West Brom,Aston Villa and Bristol City supposed to be interested in him aswell

Before anybody writes him off it should be remembered that he is actually a decent player, more than decent actually. Yes he has had his injuries but (partly for that reason) he won't cost a fortune and he does bring several years of championship experience.
On the excitement scale, for me, he's on a par with Stearman. Not a world beater but he knows the league inside out and will run through walls.
Shame he missed half of last season because Piggy Louvens decide to rake his studs down his groin in a pretence of a tackle. What a horrible cunt he was.

Anyway I digress. GLTTL, if he signs.

He'll do well in the right circumstances - mainly if he's fit, with a fresh start somewhere in a decent setup.

But being 30 years old, he could complicate what we do regarding other recruits up front. We can't just have one attacker under 30. And it would reduce the possibility of us replacing Brooks adequately.

Just been reading some Ipswich fans opinions on him. Positive ones were "Unplayable on his day", "a dream to watch when injury free", "one of the most naturally gifted players I've seen in a town shirt", "poor man's Berbatov, but just more injury prone". Negative ones were "quality player but legs made of wotsits", "too many injuries", "can barely do 90 minutes".

Seems to be a quality player (when rarely injury free) but his career has been plagued with injuries. If we do sign him up and he stays injury free he could be a very decent player for us under Wilder who is good at getting players careers back on track but with his injury record that seems unlikely.

Be happy with this one. Good, experienced championship footballer who has undoubted quality when fit. If we can get him in on a reasonable wage, then I'd be all for him. If we can get 20 games out of him then he will most certainly add to our squad.

He was good against us at the lane last season,he is at the veteran stage of his career but still a lot to offer if fit
Would be a useful addition not taking big chunk from Wilder budget.
He's never really won anything so could still be hungry for a last challenge,good signng if it happens.

I remember seeing McGoldrick play against us last season and before the match I was saying to my mate, "My God...they (Ipswich) must be desperate to have that old **** as a first choice striker - he's way past it!". And in truth what I saw was a very skilful player - he was class actually. I didn't know anything about him being injury prone. That explains why his recent career has been so stop/start then. Didn't he also play for another Sheffield team at one point?

From my point of view, I think..."Why not?" he won't cost us much and if he can be somewhere near to fit then we've got a useful player there to supplement the squad. But let's also be very clear about something else as well...this is a strong indication of what level United are shopping at. You guys who were coming on here recently and wondering in which sweet shop we were going to spend the Brooks £12M - is it sinking it with you yet? There's no £12M to spend - and we are looking at what we can get from "the penny tray".

Like my school report said....."Could do better".

No from me. Skilful player but injury prone and the wrong side of 30. The kind of gamble a team fighting relegation might take. Would potentially mean replacing 3 strikers next season with no star asset to flog.

The thing that (almost) made me laugh about that article in the Star, is when they say that we are trying, unsuccessfully, to get Hogan from Villa on loan, but Villa don't want to do a loan, so we've turned to McGoldrick instead! Bloody hell! That's a bit like me saying, I've been in the Ferrari dealers and tried to knock them down in price on the Ferrari 458, but they're having none of it. So I've been down to Lookers on Saville Street and got myself a Ford Fiesta instead.

I'm assuming United realise that Villa are up shit-creek without a paddle? I'm assuming they realise that they desperately need to raise cash? I'm even assuming United know that they paid £12M for Hogan and that he's on big wages? If we do know those things, what on earth makes us think, for one moment, that they'd be happy to let him go out on loan? They'll want shut of him for a fee - for a big fee I'd imagine - maybe at least half of what they paid for him - and then the buying club will need to find over £30k a week to pay him.

I admire the tenacious spirit of United in this case, with the same level of admiration that I would have watching a little Fox Terrier snapping at a Rottweiler. You have to admire it's courage and fearlessness, but you know also that it hasn't a chance in hell of winning that particular battle.

Cant see anything negative in taking him on trial and assessing him closer? Yes he’s had injuries, but as others have said, he’s actually a very good player who’s played at this level for a long time. As long as he’s a replacement for Donaldson/Ched rather than a main striker, he’s a realistic signing who would absolutely improve the squad.

The thing that (almost) made me laugh about that article in the Star, is when they say that we are trying, unsuccessfully, to get Hogan from Villa on loan, but Villa don't want to do a loan, so we've turned to McGoldrick instead! Bloody hell! That's a bit like me saying, I've been in the Ferrari dealers and tried to knock them down in price on the Ferrari 458, but they're having none of it. So I've been down to Lookers on Saville Street and got myself a Ford Fiesta instead.

I'm assuming United realise that Villa are up shit-creek without a paddle? I'm assuming they realise that they desperately need to raise cash? I'm even assuming United know that they paid £12M for Hogan and that he's on big wages? If we do know those things, what on earth makes us think, for one moment, that they'd be happy to let him go out on loan? They'll want shut of him for a fee - for a big fee I'd imagine - maybe at least half of what they paid for him - and then the buying club will need to find over £30k a week to pay him.

I admire the tenacious spirit of United in this case, with the same level of admiration that I would have watching a little Fox Terrier snapping at a Rottweiler. You have to admire it's courage and fearlessness, but you know also that it hasn't a chance in hell of winning that particular battle.

If only we weren't limited to buying our players from British leagues. If only.

You never know with chris wilder he has a touch who would have ever thought he could transform Clarke into a quality championship striker. So mcgoldrick could be in the same league. But Keith Edwards is going to have a field day. Because during the 2 away games last yr he wasnt a fan

Nothing wrong with this , free agent scored goals at this level, improvent in Donaldson etc.

BUT

If this is anything more than looking to improve be the bench then this window has turned from looking to push us in to top 6 to establishing us as a lower mid table side.

AND

If we waste the whole window chasing the same 1 or 2 targets with no success then that’s not acceptable either.

A quality player. Lovely touch, good vision. And yes he may be 30, but I think a certain B.Sharp and L.Clarke proved a few things last season!!
Saw him for Ipswich last season and we did a job on him. But doesn’t alter anything about the kind of player he is.
And what he brings into the club is something different to what we have already.

The injuries issue...well that’s what medicals, physios and sport science is for. If we trial him and see we can get him right then he could be a gamble worth taking, and be able to take advantage of his situation of being without a salary at present.

There's a reason Ipswich have kept him this long until now even though he's spent alot if the time injured. He's a quality player when fit, which is probably why we are taking him on trial before making a decision, to assess his fitness levels throughout the week. If he does well throughout the week fitness wise he'll be signing because there's no doubt his ability will show through in training. Yes it is underwhelming that it's gone from Scott Hogan to David Mcgoldrick but a fit Mcgoldrick is a good player in this division when injury free, there's no wonder why Villa, West Brom and Bristol have looked at him since his release. Risky one but if he can stay fit he's got the ability to prove to be a good player for us if we sign him.

What is there to lose in having him on trial? Nowt! Also if another player is currently playing hardball over a contract it might make them hurry up in their decision that we could actually look elsewhere!?

Back
Top Bottom