Darren Fletcher 5 Live on Billy Sharp assault

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I love the fact that the likes of Vardy and Rhodes taunt us after scoring. I think it adds to the spectacle and is all part of the entertainment.

This ^^^

These players take some proper hammer and if folk get pissy when it comes back in the other direction, well boohoo. It’s earned.

What’s the difference between this lads intent and the one who smacked Grealish? Marginal, he went on to harrass an oppo player

Link is here. They start talking about it at 08mins in

Just listened to it discussion in detail starts around 15.40. Fletcher makes a point of saying he was there and immediately brings up the the actions of the SUFC bench. Fletcher argues the Sheffield United Bench should get on with their job. Take all the insults and not react unless its homophobic or racist. How very BBC of him.

When Glenn Murray argues banter between fans and benches is part and parcel of the game Fletcher counters with "99% may take it alright but it only takes one as what happened the other night to be unhappy with what went off." Again he makes a tenuous link with the actions of SUFC's bench and the actions of Biggs in assaulting Sharp. He's sailing close to the wind with his comments.

I heard it. Couldn't believe that he somehow pointed some of the blame for what unfurled at the bench. He said that the bench should sit there, get dogs abuse and "get on with their jobs" and not give it back to the fans. When has that ever happened? Utterly ridiculous POV. Even when put in his place he kept mumbling on about the club's having to take responsibility. All respect for the man as a football journalist was lost last night.
According to Simon Jordan who was telling the account from a forest fan or steward I can't remember Billy Sharp was goading the forest fans when we were losing two nil down on aggregate because at two down you've got a lot to goad them with, right? Jordan explained that as forest we're winning why would they have a go at the United bench as they were happy! Clearly Jordan doesn't go to many football matches because I would expect that when forest we're two nil up at home to be the exact time when forest fans would goad Billy who no doubt gave them some back. Either way this is all hearsay unless there's videos of Billy sharp goading forest fans which even if true obviously in no way excuses the attack on Billy.

I’m just wondering if anyone else listened to the 5 Live Football Social last night?

Darren Fletcher, Forest fan, blamed the Sheffield United bench and staff for the Billy Sharp assault. He basically said what do you expect when our bench responds to the antagonisation from Forest fans with gestures back towards the fans. Co-presenters Dion Dublin and Glenn Murray put him in his place and told him he was completely wrong.

It’s the first discussion on the latest Football Daily Podcast if anyone is interested in listening.
But I suppose it's OK for Johnson to shush and tell our fans to fuck off after he scored at the City Ground....as could clearly be seen from the TV pictures.

Was you not around when G and H blocks of the South Stand were closed due to crowd disorder, mainly one idiot shooting a flare into the Wednesdayites

Exactly. We had almost 2,000 seats in our best/most expensive stand closed off for 3 or 4 seasons.

And, I’m not sure whether it was even anything to do with the Piggy firework incident. I seem to recall that the sanction was imposed after something was thrown near that pair of horrible little turds that played for Norwich - McVeigh and Mulryne - who were playing up in front of the United fans during a win at the Lane. Nothing actually hit them but the authorities swung into action.

These days, at grounds all over - even the Premier League - you can see countless objects raining down on to the pitch but there doesn’t seem to be the same appetite at all to close parts of grounds.

Mind you, in the case of the Premier League, I presume that is because the money and power of TV companies trumps the authority of the administrators and Police. Sky doesn’t pay big money to have empty seats visible - it’s not good for the product.

We only have to look at how we were able to use more of our capacity in the Premier than in the Championship, and indeed play ostensibly high risk games at any time of the day depending upon TV requirements where as we seemingly can’t even host little Barnsley at 3pm in the Championship.

I don't.

I don't think any player should be deliberately goading opposition fans, especially not from the bench.

Giving out to managers has always been a problem and many of them have complained about it, rightly in my view, but if the subs bench is turning round making gestures it just makes a potentially febrile situation worse and inflames people who aren't even involved in the abuse.

It's an entirely different question from what's been happening this week, but I just think whoever does it, including if it's one of our players, is a twat. I don't think "oh what a great showman"

I don't think players do themselves any favours. Vardy is slightly different because we give him so much shit and he gives it back, for obvious reasons, but he's usually very complimentary off the field about the club and fans. Billy seems to have spent the second half of the season having arguments with opposition fans. There will always be a dickhead who will be coked off their head and do something stupid. It's certainly not and excuse or justification, just a sad fact of modern Britain.

I don't.

I don't think any player should be deliberately goading opposition fans, especially not from the bench.

Giving out to managers has always been a problem and many of them have complained about it, rightly in my view, but if the subs bench is turning round making gestures it just makes a potentially febrile situation worse and inflames people who aren't even involved in the abuse.

It's an entirely different question from what's been happening this week, but I just think whoever does it, including if it's one of our players, is a twat. I don't think "oh what a great showman"

If you can't control your behaviour when somebody is apparently goading you at a football match, you're very much part of the problem.

If a few people giving you a few hand gestures leads to you headbutting somebody who has no idea it's coming, that's on you (not you personally).

For what it's worth, I've had many of my Forest supporting mates saying our fans were a disgrace and then Blades saying vice versa. Football is tribal to a pathetic extent at times, the whole night was marred by idiotic behaviour on both sides.

Wonder if Fletcher is aware of the Forest player on the bench who walked all the way down the South stand cupping his ear after they scored their second at the lane.

Presumably Darren Fletcher would have seen it as fair game for one of us to run on and nut him.

Sounds as if he's as barking as Simon Jordan, though Fletcher as an excuse. Jordan is just a prize tool.
That said talkSPORT is just the equivalent of Internet click bait to ensure it can charge advertisers top dollar.

Last edited:

Just listened to it discussion in detail starts around 15.40. Fletcher makes a point of saying he was there and immediately brings up the the actions of the SUFC bench. Fletcher argues the Sheffield United Bench should get on with their job. Take all the insults and not react unless its homophobic or racist. How very BBC of him.

When Glenn Murray argues banter between fans and benches is part and parcel of the game Fletcher counters with "99% may take it alright but it only takes one as what happened the other night to be unhappy with what went off." Again he makes a tenuous link with the actions of SUFC's bench and the actions of Biggs in assaulting Sharp. He's sailing close to the wind with his comments.

The thing is Im pretty sure Biggs did not mention in his defence the alleged actions of SUFCs bench as a reason for the assault only that he had 6 pints of beer (which makes him a lightweight in the alcohol department)
As you say the link is very tenuous. Biggs was more than likely not even aware of our bench and any shenanigans that went off The Forest fans would have invaded the pitch even if our bench had behaved like angels

According to Simon Jordan who was telling the account from a forest fan or steward I can't remember Billy Sharp was goading the forest fans when we were losing two nil down on aggregate because at two down you've got a lot to goad them with, right? Jordan explained that as forest we're winning why would they have a go at the United bench as they were happy! Clearly Jordan doesn't go to many football matches because I would expect that when forest we're two nil up at home to be the exact time when forest fans would goad Billy who no doubt gave them some back. Either way this is all hearsay unless there's videos of Billy sharp goading forest fans which even if true obviously in no way excuses the attack on Billy.
Jordan said a respected journalist friend who was sat behind the dug out had told him Sharp and Mcburnie were abusing Florist fans when they were 3-1 up in the tie. That friend has now been outed as Fletcher.

What an idiot Darren Fletcher is. In no way is that any kind of defence for what that thug did to our captain. I would say the same if it happened to any player, a Wednesday player, whoever it was.

It was a common assault of the most cowardly kind. But if we are talking about winding the fans up - what about Brennan Johnson shushing our fans when he scored, when he could have ran to any corner of the ground to celebrate with 28,000 Forest fans?

Or what about Ryan Yates winding our fans up at the end? Of course, I wouldn't condone any kind of response to that other than the usual two finger salutes, but I'm struggling to get what Fletcher is getting at. He's a foolish pundit who buys into the "big club mentality" - and he only probably cares about the Premier League and the usual boring title race.

Darren fletcher must have fantastic ears to have heard what the blades bench said to the forest fans, he was sat in the directors box below Joe root and Stuart broad,

Isn't Darren Ferguson the Kevin Gage of Nottingham?

Back
Top Bottom