Darren Fletcher 5 Live on Billy Sharp assault

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I heard it. Couldn't believe that he somehow pointed some of the blame for what unfurled at the bench. He said that the bench should sit there, get dogs abuse and "get on with their jobs" and not give it back to the fans. When has that ever happened? Utterly ridiculous POV. Even when put in his place he kept mumbling on about the club's having to take responsibility. All respect for the man as a football journalist was lost last night.
He soon got shouted down by Dion Dublin and Glen Murray,then he moved off the subject quickly when he realised he was being shown up as an excuse maker for Forest fans behaviour.Fletcher is a Pratt at the best of times with his self righteousness and bombastic rants on "his" soapbox Friday night,but he showed himself up big time last night as a pitch invasion violence appeaser,just because he's a Forest fan and wanted to vent against the negative news on them

Bloke 1 in a pub tries to goad a bloke who he's seen but never met before, slavering and swearing at him with full on aggressive gestures.
Bloke 2 gives a milder response in return.
Bloke 1 head butts him.
Bloke 2 = normal bloke
Bloke 1 = complete and utter knob head thug who can't control his self inflicted anger.
Yes footballers are high profile ish, but come on, how can it ever be right to physically attack someone because of your own inability not to start things in the first place?
Footballers are normal blokes with normal emotions so if you can't take it, don't give it.

It's just the way football is.

Nottingham Forest, Brian Clough, smallest club to ever succeed in Europe.

The media tosses itself off over them and ignores the fact that they are supported by an absolute bunch of cunts.

If this happened the other way around, at Bramall Lane, we'd have been thrown out of the final and the first three home games would have been played behind closed doors next season.

Not to pick on you but why would we get treated differently? I read this quite a lot on here but have never seen any evidence we get treated differently to other clubs.

Granted most have condemned it, but some Forest fans have been ridiculously weird about it, like they can't accept that someone who supports Forest has been an absolute bellend. Saw someone comparing it to the Hecky/Spence incident.

Seen a lot comparing it to that or saying that's what "sparked off" a guy headbutting someone 2 hours later.

God knows how the sensitive little things would react if they were up against a proper shithouse like Simeone

Just heard it. What an utter disgrace that clown fletcher is. Now, I dont like him anyway, his commentary is shite, shouts and talks too much bollox and cant pronounce players names right, which is a basic for his job. However he excelled himself last night. Didnt let his guests have much of a say, just ranted about our bench's behaviour, then shouted the guests down when they said he was wrong. What a disgusting bloke. Yes players goad fans, fans goad players, it happens at every match. That doesnt make it right for some prick to go on the pitch and assault them. We all know he will keep his job despite saying that, which makes it all the more galling as I think he should be booted out of public broadcasting. Just my opinion, but you cannot have a public figure victim blaming, justifying assault on a player. Are all forest fans scum like he is?

Look at the media coverage of the viera incident at goodison. Could you imagine if it had been a totally unprovoked flying headbut on a premier league player? The world would have gone into meltdown. I just think the seriousness of the attack on Billy has been somewhat missed by the mainstream media given other (bad but not as bad) incidents over the last few days and if it was a prem darling it’d be totally different

I think on the whole the media have covered it well and I've not seen a single ex-pro doing anything but criticise Forest. Only Fletcher and Jordan have tried to excuse it and they've been completely shot down. Forest are on their own with this sort of whataboutary

It’s against the law to go on the pitch

If someone breaks into your home your allowed to use reasonable force as they lost their rights when they entered your house

I would hazard a guess that a lot of the lads who saw relegation clauses slash their wages, would have just seen the opportunity to reverse that be screwed by the penalties

Yet they are supposed to have someone taunting them and not react - Viera also

If your on the field of play, and run up to a manager or player to get in their face, I hope the words of Gandhi are in the mind of the player.
C0CA99CD-1EB6-4961-B22B-9D902A432C84.jpeg

By his own logic, a fair portion of his team should be reprimanded. Plenty of their players were goading fans with crowd specific goal celebrations (crying eyes, "fuck off!"" etc. etc). That's not just "turning up and doing your job" is it?

But no one is saying that because it's a moronic position to hold. It's part and parcel of football. What happened to Billy should be condemned and under no circumstances followed by the word "but..."

I still remain stunned at Forest fans reaction to all this and how they seem unable to recognise it just makes them look worse. Over on their forum, on hearing the news that Biggs had been handed a sentence, one Forest fan argued that on top of McBurnie, the police should now be arresting Brewster and even Heckingbottom because of his vicious assault on Spence.

Unbelievable Jeff!

Didn’t hear the show but if that’s what he said then he’s done a complete 180 from his tweet the other day..

I don't.

I don't think any player should be deliberately goading opposition fans, especially not from the bench.

Giving out to managers has always been a problem and many of them have complained about it, rightly in my view, but if the subs bench is turning round making gestures it just makes a potentially febrile situation worse and inflames people who aren't even involved in the abuse.

It's an entirely different question from what's been happening this week, but I just think whoever does it, including if it's one of our players, is a twat. I don't think "oh what a great showman"

Football is theatre. Anyone who reacts violently to a player celebrating a goal needs arresting and prosecuting. If they’re reacting violently in that situation, they 100% have a problem with violence (which will certainly extend beyond football).

Football is theatre. Anyone who reacts violently to a player celebrating a goal needs arresting and prosecuting. If they’re reacting violently in that situation, they 100% have a problem with violence (which will certainly extend beyond football).

Yes.

That's not what I was saying.

Not to pick on you but why would we get treated differently? I read this quite a lot on here but have never seen any evidence we get treated differently to other clubs.
Was you not around when G and H blocks of the South Stand were closed due to crowd disorder, mainly one idiot shooting a flare into the Wednesdayites

The forest "fan" that McBurnie allegedly "stamped on is saying he was afraid he might die as he has had 2 head injuries in the past. Well dont get involved in potential situations when you may get a bump on the head, i.e an uncontrollable melee breaking the law.

I've been invited on TalkTV today around 11:30am to talk about these pitch invasions and assaults. I may well now mention these Fletcher comments.

How did this go? Available online?

I've been invited on TalkTV today around 11:30am to talk about these pitch invasions and assaults. I may well now mention these Fletcher comments.

Do it Hal. I think some of the MSM response this week has been shameful.

R5 presenter looking for excuses and Sky not even acknowledging several Vale fans swinging punches at Swindon players yards away from where they presenting, is shocking imho.

Edit - just realised I'm late to the party 🙂

SUFC should make a statement regarding what Fletcher has accused our management team of doing.

Good on you YB if you did. Irresponsible journalism deliberately designed to twist the narrative has to be called out. No rational football fan would believe that there wasn't abuse directed to the SUFC bench that may have led to the alleged reactions. The problem is once the words are said the social media world adopts it as being gospel. It is a facet of modern day journalism that is distasteful and can lead to serious consequences further down the line.

For example Simon Jordan notable football commentator speaks out on national radio saying he has evidence Billy Sharp and Oli Mcburnie were deliberately winding up Florist fans without provocation when Florist were winning, we now know his journalist friend is Fletcher, Florist fan. This public statement goes unchallenged. Some months further down the line I as prosecuting counsel in the trial of Mcburnie v Brinkley develop an argument that Mcb was deliberately wound up shouting abuse earlier in the game for no apparent reason as confirmed by a respected BBC journalist.

Fletcher IMO is desperate to deflect attention away from the criminal actions of a large proportion of his club fans in the hope he can provide mitigating circumstances to limit FA sanctions. The very fact he makes an allegation against a former player who is violently assaulted with the implication his earlier alleged verbal actions may have been a contributing factor is shameful. We now know the contributing factor was the amount of alcohol Biggs had drunk and nothing to do with the actions of Sharp. Fletcher is a disgrace to his profession.

Back
Top Bottom