Darren Fletcher 5 Live on Billy Sharp assault

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

NorthantsBlade88

Reaction score
I’m just wondering if anyone else listened to the 5 Live Football Social last night?

Darren Fletcher, Forest fan, blamed the Sheffield United bench and staff for the Billy Sharp assault. He basically said what do you expect when our bench responds to the antagonisation from Forest fans with gestures back towards the fans. Co-presenters Dion Dublin and Glenn Murray put him in his place and told him he was completely wrong.

It’s the first discussion on the latest Football Daily Podcast if anyone is interested in listening.

I thought he was Scottish? What's his forest link?

I’m just wondering if anyone else listened to the 5 Live Football Social last night?

Darren Fletcher, Forest fan, blamed the Sheffield United bench and staff for the Billy Sharp assault. He basically said what do you expect when our bench responds to the antagonisation from Forest fans with gestures back towards the fans. Co-presenters Dion Dublin and Glenn Murray put him in his place and told him he was completely wrong.

It’s the first discussion on the latest Football Daily Podcast if anyone is interested in listening.
Absolute weapon. In that case, it was fine for mcb to (not) stamp on the scab 🤷‍♂️

I keep hearing about these "gestures" from our bench. Has any footage of this been seen?

Only Forest fans and Simon "clickbait" Jordan have tried to use this as an excuse. It's really odd that think it's somehow relevant to their fans breaking the law. I've no idea if our players gave something back to their fans but it's pathetic to think that it warrants an assault.

I love the fact that the likes of Vardy and Rhodes taunt us after scoring. I think it adds to the spectacle and is all part of the entertainment.

Forest fans are just trying to deflect the situation. Thankfully nobody is going along with it and it's just bringing more embarrassment on them.

"She wanted it your honor, you should have seen the short skirt she was wearing"

He sounds like one of those cunts. Physically aged but stopped mentally at around 8. If we start moving towards a culture of "but but the players riled us up" we could end up at the stage where players will come out and play with barely any emotion. Saw that during covid and it was dreadful.

Am I in the minority here that enjoys players winding up opposite team fans?

I love the fact that the likes of Vardy and Rhodes taunt us after scoring. I think it adds to the spectacle and is all part of the entertainment.

I don't.

I don't think any player should be deliberately goading opposition fans, especially not from the bench.

Giving out to managers has always been a problem and many of them have complained about it, rightly in my view, but if the subs bench is turning round making gestures it just makes a potentially febrile situation worse and inflames people who aren't even involved in the abuse.

It's an entirely different question from what's been happening this week, but I just think whoever does it, including if it's one of our players, is a twat. I don't think "oh what a great showman"

The reaction to some of the behaviour over the last week is weird.

By his reckoning, a United fan could go and twat him now for saying that, antagonism etc

I heard it. Couldn't believe that he somehow pointed some of the blame for what unfurled at the bench. He said that the bench should sit there, get dogs abuse and "get on with their jobs" and not give it back to the fans. When has that ever happened? Utterly ridiculous POV. Even when put in his place he kept mumbling on about the club's having to take responsibility. All respect for the man as a football journalist was lost last night.

I don't.

I don't think any player should be deliberately goading opposition fans, especially not from the bench.

Giving out to managers has always been a problem and many of them have complained about it, rightly in my view, but if the subs bench is turning round making gestures it just makes a potentially febrile situation worse and inflames people who aren't even involved in the abuse.

It's an entirely different question from what's been happening this week, but I just think whoever does it, including if it's one of our players, is a twat. I don't think "oh what a great showman"

I disagree personally. It's only a football match. The fans give players stick for 90 minutes and I have no issue with them giving it back.

Agree with many of the comments on here. Players winding fans up is all part of the entertainment. Vardy winding us up for instance, while annoying is a "fair play, bastard, fair play" type of scenario.

There have always been players who do this. The Robbie Savage types who are bell ends if they are against you, absolutely loved and adored if they play for you.

Increasingly in modern society people are getting used to feeling something such as upset or anger at something and then spitting out a reaction on social media with no repercussions (physical, social, emotional). Unfortunately it starts to generalise to in-person situations like that Forrest (yes, spelling is wrong but the pettiness feels good - ironically for this post) "fan" who assaulted Billy or the kid who has sold his story to the Sun. Can't tell the difference between what happens behind a screen and what happens in real life and then are shocked it has a consequence - jeez, I think I'm agreeing with the sentiments of Mike Tyson...

Opposition players taunting the fans is a great bit of the theatre of football.
Look a Duffy when he scored THAT goal.
Look at Billy when he scores against, well, all the clubs who slag him off.

I’m with Roygbiv on this. Vardy is brilliant at it & whilst I’d rather the likes of him wouldn’t score against us, when they do, I really don’t mind it. A small part of me actually looks forward to it in a weird way.
Thing is though, I’m never bladdered & coked off my nut, so I can see it for what it is. Or at least for what I see it as - part of the spectacle of live football.

Opposition players taunting the fans is a great bit of the theatre of football.
Look a Duffy when he scored THAT goal.
Look at Billy when he scores against, well, all the clubs who slag him off.

I’m with Roygbiv on this. Vardy is brilliant at it & whilst I’d rather the likes of him wouldn’t score against us, when they do, I really don’t mind it. A small part of me actually looks forward to it in a weird way.
Thing is though, I’m never bladdered & coked off my nut, so I can see it for what it is. Or at least for what I see it as - part of the spectacle of live football.

Lots of shithousing by opposition players over the years - one that stands out to me is Duffy when he ran us ragged when playing for Scunthorpe, then gave it large in front of the Kop when he scored.

I think he referenced it in the recent podcast.

The amount of Forest fans looking for excuses or justification is laughable.

Don't get me wrong, if the boot was on the other foot we'd doubtless have fans doing the same.

What makes me laugh about this argument is that if one of our fans had run on and lamped Brennan Johnson after his goal, when he needlessly shouted fuck off to our fans, I'm sure the same Forest lot wouldn't agree it was justified.

Only Forest fans and Simon "clickbait" Jordan have tried to use this as an excuse. It's really odd that think it's somehow relevant to their fans breaking the law. I've no idea if our players gave something back to their fans but it's pathetic to think that it warrants an assault.

Forest fans are just trying to deflect the situation. Thankfully nobody is going along with it and it's just bringing more embarrassment on them.

Billy seems to be stood in front of our bench when he’s fkoored

That cunt blindsides him from the right

Surely if he was been goaded from behind the bench he would have come at Billy….. from behind - unless he has the turning circle of a cruise ship

Hope there’s a way to find out where he was sat, blow this feeble bollox out the water

Most of us, at some stage in our lives, have gestured towards opposition supporters. I'm.a bit beyond it now, but giving it the hand gestures when I was younger and secure behind netting, a line of police etc. was all a bit of fun. Most fans took it as such too.

What I, and most sane minded fans would not do is take those gestures personally and wait outside for the opposition supporters to attack them. That's crossing the line from being a bit mischievous to being an absolute nobhead.
If our bench were getting pelters and decided to give some back, then they were absolutely within their rights.

Look at the media coverage of the viera incident at goodison. Could you imagine if it had been a totally unprovoked flying headbut on a premier league player? The world would have gone into meltdown. I just think the seriousness of the attack on Billy has been somewhat missed by the mainstream media given other (bad but not as bad) incidents over the last few days and if it was a prem darling it’d be totally different

Darren Fletcher who was born and brought up in Nottingham and started work at local radio in Nottingham tries to defend Nottingham football fans - shocker.

Granted most have condemned it, but some Forest fans have been ridiculously weird about it, like they can't accept that someone who supports Forest has been an absolute bellend. Saw someone comparing it to the Hecky/Spence incident.

It's just the way football is.

Nottingham Forest, Brian Clough, smallest club to ever succeed in Europe.

The media tosses itself off over them and ignores the fact that they are supported by an absolute bunch of cunts.

If this happened the other way around, at Bramall Lane, we'd have been thrown out of the final and the first three home games would have been played behind closed doors next season.

what happened this week is unacceptable & the worst week of being a football fan in my lifetime. & im fully expecting huge changes next season

on football its about giving it both ways. just like we do with wednesday fans/mates. & darren fletcher like everyone is entitled to an opinion. but that opinion is hugely wrong. because as soon as you set foot on the pitch you lose the argument

can you imagine it with our mates giving it to Wednesday when they lost & then we lost to Forest we punch our mate in the face

Back
Top Bottom