Sheffield United Season Review / School Report 22-23 - Part 6: Strikers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
2022/23 SUFC SEASON REVIEW / SCHOOL REPORT

Strikers

Billy Sharp Sharp had a renaissance in the 21-22 season scoring 14 (15 all comps) as the Blades improved hugely under Hecky and his combination with the likes of Gibbs White and Ndiaye saw us get in the playoffs and just miss out. Oddly it was not so much his goals but his work rate and actually his set up play which impressed, as he showed other facets to his game. He looked like he was the fittest he had ever been. With Gibbs White going back and a number of strikers moving on, we did not have the funds to upgrade this area so you sensed he would be counted on again this season – maybe too much considering his advancing years? You also forget many thought McBurnie would be on his way and not seen as much of a threat. The feeling was Brewster would start with Ndiaye off him and that Sharp would not be a regular.

This is of course how it started although Billy played at Boro but got an injury and was out then until being back on the bench at Preston. He started against Blackpool and Norwich but we did better when others came on up front. He did play at Bristol City and Cardiff but by this time McBurnie and Ndiaye had formed the main partnership with the former really regaining form and Sharp knew he would be only used maybe when these two needed a rest (or were suspended). However Sharp had a good spell after the World Cup scoring his first goals of the season against Huddersfield and Wigan – two textbook Sharp finishes and scored a late goal against Wrexham in the replay too. His reaction after this game was a bit odd and not sure he needed to say what he did – he had let his feet do the talking after all.

He was used mostly as a sub in the run in but did start against Wigan and had a good cameo against Bristol City as he helped us get the late win. Fantastic to see him against Manchester City at Wembley. Did well too against West Brom in that important promotion sealing game. Started against Preston but did not have any chances and struggled more when starting games and did not really look like getting that 250th goal in appearances sadly despite trying to get on the end of things.

He has definitely contributed to the squad and like old timers Basham and Fleck, have played their part albeit not as regulars like they used to. He works hard and it means so much to him when he does play. However, for the most part the goals dried up and he missed some chances you would expect him to take in games but he has not been playing as much as the last campaign. He has done a job at times for the side when we have needed to rotate including some decent cameos from the bench – but generally he is not a game changing type player so sometimes his introduction has attracted some criticism from fans. His work ethic remains solid but he is hugely lacking pace and mobility and means if he does not score, often he is restricted to some hold up and winning free kicks. You do sometimes forget he is now 37! Most of his games he has played from the bench this season so hard to be too critical of his low scoring output. You do forget though that last season was a bit of an outlier with the goals return in terms of since we went up to the Premier League – as he has only scored 3, 3 and 2 in the other 4 seasons in the league – which kind of does not fit with the ‘Sharp scores goals.’

Hard one this summer, as the sentimental factor says retain him for a year, let him maybe do some coaching (know he has done lots of qualifications) with the academy at some level and let him bow out the end of next season (he would be 38) and then he can have his final season at Handsworth as he had wanted (said he wanted to have one year at his former club and with some of his pals). Although he might want to play more but if we do not give him a deal (I don’t have an issue if we do not as he is not going to play very much at all – odd cup game you think and that would, be it?) even though many may be critical but he will know he is not close to a Premier League player anymore and that United cannot just pay him for another year for what he has done in the past. Has he done enough this season to get another deal? Probably not as hard as it is to write that but you sense the likes of hm, Stevens and Fleck their time may be up nw. Sad as it is to write this., He may want to go to League 1 or 2 where he could still start and probably in the same way McGoldrick has done, go on and score lots of goals for another season or two maybe? Whatever happens I would not be too critical of the club and can live with whichever way they go. It seems that the rumours and his speech on the Town Hall suggests that it might be the end but we will see- but who could not be moved from watching him in tears and struggling to speak.

He will go down as a Blades great and a legend for what he has accomplished here. Another one that was a big part of a magical journey. To play around 300 games and score 129 goals (117 in the league I believe) in 3 spells is incredible and he is placed in the top 10 goal scorers of all time at the Lane. The stats are below which may be of some interest: 1. Harry Johnson – 201 goals. 2. Alan Woodward - 158. 3. Jimmy Dunne - 143. 4. Keith Edwards - 143. 5. Doc Pace - 140. 6. Fred Tunstall - 129. 7. Billy Gillespie - 127. 8. Jimmy Hagan - 117. 9 .Billy Sharp - 117 10. Jock Dodds - 113.

Grade C+ (Last season B+)

Iliman Ndiaye
Had an excellent first season in the professional game and showed real moments of quality as he linked with Gibbs White, Sharp and others. He began really well before being in and out of the side a bit and even towards the end of the season he was not always starting but at Forest he was so close to putting his through. Overall, we saw a fantastically gifted footballer – he of course needed more games and to get fitter but talent wise we knew we had a top prospect. His combination play with Gibbs White of course would be missing and he would have to take more of a responsibility. We were still a little unsure if he was best as an out and out striker or as an attacking midfielder (10) or just off another striker. This season he has played a bit of everything but actually shown he can do well as an out and out forward getting in the box but also running from deep and going at teams. He has shown more than anything a phenomenal work rate and even when things have not gone his/our way he has knuckled down and always does a job for the team and will try and win the ball back.

He started the season at Watford as the whole team did not get going but scored a goal reminiscent of Tony Agana – in the game v Millwall as he shrugged off his man and finished calmly. He continued to get better and better and now was the main man with Gibbs White gone and took on the promise of last season to a whole new level. He came on against Blackburn as we rotated a bit early in the season and scored one off his backside but a goal of sheer quality as he ran from his own half, shrugging off challenge after challenge, putting in a step over and curling in an absolute beauty in one of the best individual goals I have ever seen at the Lane. The reaction of shock and delight was quickly followed by chattering on the terrace of how we had something really special in this lad. His excellent form continued and he scored more great goals – Reading at home and Preston away as he sort of takes his time and sits players down. . He repeated his now trademark cool, ‘I’ll do it in my own time’ goal at West Brom and then a different type of goal at Ashton Gate with a brave header. His now traditional twirling hand celebration often met with different chants the mans had created to acclaim their star boy! He showed his full range of tricks with some outrageous moments in the shellacking of Burnley in November.

We then had the World Cup where he advanced his reputation even more as he represented Senegal. He came off the bench and did well, before getting in the side and many of us of course wanted England to win but wanted him to do well when they met at the 2nd round stage. He has clearly impressed the coach there as now starts and scored his first goals recently in the last round of games. Playing with someone like Sadio Mane will of course only help him further.

After he came back, he maybe did not score as many goals or have as much direct influence on big moments but his work ethic remained high and he still performed at a good level. He only scored one goal versus Stoke as he hit a barren spell with only 1 in 15 either side of Xmas. The goal at Reading was more of a poacher’s goal and he did the same against Wigan. His performances started to get to the levels they had been as the season came to a close and a lovely goal against Cardiff and an assist against Bristol City and we saw the level of skill/form (work rate always there) we had although missed a big early chance against Manchester City. However, another brilliant performance and cool assist was a big contributor to the improved second half. His big smile and joy, coupled with his dancing in front of the Kop was something that will live long in the memory. Watching him toy with Preston in the game after was superb and he just looked unplayable at times.

I have just loved watching him play. It’s players like him and what he does why you want to watch football and the fact he plays for our team is fantastic. The most talented player ability wise I have ever seen at Bramall Lane in my near 40 years of watching. Others like Deane, Jagielka (for us) and Walker, Maguire have gone onto play Premier League level and excel and suppose we need to wait to see him do it at a higher level but I have no doubt he will. He is too good and works too hard too. A player that toils and can show all the skills and has the assets you look for in terms of ability on the ball, dribbling, strength, pace and shooting means he is surely a can’t miss in terms of going on to b an absolute star?

On top of his ability, seems a smashing kid. Always seems to be smiling (apart from the few times she loses it a bit with players – Nathan Tella and Kenny McClean – two he has fallen out with!) and seems to just love football and expressing himself. We saw the video of him growing up and doing all the juggling/skills in a park as he was a kid but he plays like that on the field too. Seems to not just want to entertain but wants to win.

He only has a year left of his contract. I personally would rather keep him and lose him if we have to next summer. We can put a price on him remaining here and contributing to us trying to stay up – he is 24 next summer but not sure we get compensation for him as he came from another youth set up at Boreham Wood? Even in January we would not get the fee that would be worth selling unless we dead and buried or completely safe! In an ideal world we would give him a longer deal, stay up next year and sell him for about 50 million! Not going to happen sadly. I think we all know we are very lucky and privileged to see a player like him and just got to enjoy and savour every game. It seems like his agent is touting around a bit and probably going to move him on – just hope he can stay with us a longer but would not be totally surprised if he does move on – even this summer.

Talents like him do not come along very often (huge credit for the scouting side for picking him up) and certainly not at the Lane. As I say just a joy to watch and a player, I have every confidence will go on and be a top player whether it be near the upper end of the Premier League or La Liga or for PSG/Bayern – he is that good and I have never said that about any player I have seen at the Lane before. He will end up playing in the Champions League and being a star if he continues to work hard and keep progressing and feel only injury or some poor career choices would stop that. The sort of player that feel you will say at the end of his career can you believe we saw him play for SUFC and at the Lane!

Grade A (Last season B)

Reda Khadra
One of the most impressive players we saw as an opponent in 21-22. He tore us apart at the Lane and gave Baldock a sorry time, despite missing a penalty in the loss. He looked quick, tricky and made things happen. Oddly he was not always starting for Rovers and their fans had mixed reviews. We saw enough to take him on loan from Brighton for a season loan. There was talk of it having an option to make it a permanent transfer – some were annoyed it was not to be that anyway feeling we might have missed a trick. In the end maybe we had a close escape!

I remember though at the time being quite excited by this capture and felt he would get bums off seats and offer something we did not have in terms of a direct runner who got defenders turned. There were some questions about where he would play as he seemed to be more of orthodox winger but you sensed maybe he could play as a number 10, an out and out forward or even at a stretch as a wing back?

Started the first few games as sub but was excellent in a cameo v Millwall in our first win and had our only real efforts in the cup defeat at West Brom. His first start was against his former side Blackburn but not sure he did much of note and one of our weaker players in a big win and his replacement, Ndiaye scored twice! He did play at the Lane for Germany u21’s v England u21’s but his main contribution in this was to get a nose bleed!

He then had his biggest moment as a Blade as he came on and scored a late winner at Swansea with a cool finish. Despite this he was still mostly on the bench still but then started against Birmingham but was poor in an unfamiliar left wing back position. We saw bit and pieces of him but he never really had much impact albeit in limited minutes. I felt even when he had longer, he struggled to make much of an impact at all.

He got a rare start at Bristol City but was really poor, as all the team was and was subbed. Rival manager Nigel Pearson was quite unprofessional in his criticism of our use of him after the game but despite this, it did seem that somehow, he did not quite fit. I always felt he never looked fit and was carrying too much weight but in a side that did not play wingers and his strength of running at players could never really be utilised. I did believe he was lazy though and would not track back and at times was too individual rather than doing things for the team. He was not the player I thought we were getting and I think Hecky saw this and used him less and less. Some criticised him for this but clearly, he was not doing the basics in training/in matches so it was correct and brave for the loan to be terminated. Of course, us having money issues maybe contributed too. I think Hecky was annoyed we could not replace him but maybe did not see him as being a ‘team’ player and allowed him to go back (and then back on loan to Birmingham). He did ok at St Andrews and had a few big goals/finishes but even Blues fans were a bit frustrated by him at times by all accounts. Looked exactly the same as I remembered when we played at St Andrews and Bash snuffed him out and get hot subbed showing some petulance as he departed. Not sure unless he conditions himself better and applies himself more consistently that he will go on and be maybe the player he thinks he is! I actually think he will end up back in Germany at some point.

Grade D- (Last season NA)

Oli McBurnie
This time last week I had kind of written him off. He never seemed fit, he had not played very well or scored very many since his decent first season where he scored 6 goals and showed some promise in the Premier League. He had a number of incidents off the field and trouble seemed to attract him. The incident at the City Ground, when he was unfit, seemed a ridiculous claim from the supporter who should not have been on the pitch but once again it is McBurnie involved. Maybe he is unlucky but unsavoury incidents seem to be happening too much and little was being discussed about his form on the football field. Of course, he rightly was not charged but again he was in court and after the incident in Knaresborough with the phone and the drink driving ban previously- on top of his over-the-top antics at Swansea games as a fan – many had probably had enough. He had barely played and could not stay fit and this time last year I was happy for him to move on with others like Burke and Mousset – Brewster at least had shown some flashes last season.

McBurnie had scored 1 goal in 2 seasons and it seemed like he was a complete busted flush but with another year on a fairly lucrative contract/wage, we would be stuck with him. I did not expect him to be involved much at all with him still being injured to start the season and others seemed ahead of him in the pecking order. The only thing in his favour is we were not going to find a club to take him, even on loan and we also had lost a number of other strikers so still may get a chance.

So, it proved as Brewster struggled to convince and got injured. Khadra did not fit and as game a Sharp was, he clearly was not going to be able to play regularly. Ndiaye had a great start but Hecky clearly still had faith in the Scottish international (he lost his place in the national team squad a while ago and has not got back – rather surprisingly considering the season he went on to have and you look at the likes of Dyke who starts). He started against Blackburn and was excellent, working hard and linking well with Ndiaye. They had never really played together but hit it off and proved a great partnership almost from the off. He then finally scored – a great goal at Luton and the relief in him was palpable. This seemed to give him the lift he needed. His work rate was superb and showed the things we saw when he first played in that 19-20 season. He slowly turned the fans around who saw that work ethic but also some great skill and build up. He can be great defensively aerially and also a threat at the other end (shown with a superb header v Reading) but he is a really good footballer and good at dropping off deep and linking. He is a clever player and a bit of a Harry Kane light!

After the Luton goal he went on a run and scored three straight games and was a focal point and any talk of who was going to be up front or what would happen to him was consigned to being quickly forgotten. He was a big part of our success and him and Ndiaye really were a great combo and recall by Xmas both having double figures. He scored two v Burnley and he was scoring different types of goals but a lot of poacher ones as well as some good finishes too. He got an injury against Rotherham and was only on the bench for a bit either side of the World Cup but did get back into the side. Maybe did not quite have the same impact in terms of goals or contributions and United’s form was mixed too but he continued to work hard and not sure he had many games where he did not toil. Sometimes he did not get as much service and the goals for both him and Ndiaye dried up as we had to score from other sources. Got a crucial goal at Reading to stop a bad run though and then scored a vital leveller in the cup games.

Thinks seemed to be a bit more of a graft for him and the team and we did not see the level of performance we had but he still contributed. A few games he looked like the McBurnie of old and sluggish and not the threat/nuisance he had showed earlier in the season. I think he did not quite do enough despite us winning against Cardiff, Bristol City and West Brom and looked off the pace but despite celebrating hard, came on to score a decent volley v Preston. Played with Sharp at Huddersfield and you saw why those two struggled as a partnership but ended with a goal and a better showing at St Andrews.

Fair play to him for turning it around despite a bit of a drop off at the end. Now I would definitely give him another deal (he has an option year I believe we can exercise?) when a year ago I was counting down the days till he was off our books – the only knock is his availability as again this season he has had too many injuries and needs to get fitter and stronger still. Do not see him as a regular though at the higher level and we need to improve here (and many other areas).

Grade B (Last season F)

Rhian Brewster Another hugely frustrating season. He has been here 3 season and has never been able to stay fit. Whether he is unlucky or has poor conditioning, the fact is that Brewster is rarely available for any consistent time. He seems to have particularly vulnerable hamstrings and has missed big chunks of the last two Championship seasons due to this. Last season he showed some promise either side of Xmas, got a few goals and finally we saw a player that could contribute. However, this season he started on the bench before doing ok v Millwall but was mostly on the bench as McBurnie and Ndiaye established themselves as the strike pairing.

He did start against Preston and at Stoke, scoring his only goal of the season with a smart finish but after playing at home to Norwich, he was withdrawn and we came back. After this he came on at West Brom and injured his hamstring. We never saw him again and that was the end of October. We heard it might be a month, then told it would be longer and then he might be back in the New Year. He never returned and then he was seen on crutches around March time (cup tie v Spurs) and we were told he had a setback. We then knew he would not return this season. We saw him (in full kit) and clearly a lad who wants to be part of the ‘group.’

Really disappointing campaign again with only 5 starts (11 subs) and 1 goal. Indeed, his whole United career as it stands consists of more sub appearances 32 than starts 31 and a mere 5 goals. This is in 3 seasons for a player that cost us 20 million+ and was our record signing. To compound matters we allegedly have still not paid Liverpool outstanding payments and this was one of the reasons we ended up in a transfer embargo. We saw bits of promise in the midpoint of last season but the off flashes and a few goals is nowhere near good enough. He seems a nice kid and clearly has had some bad luck but has been a wretched signing and not sure he looks anywhere nearer to being a player that can consistently play and contribute. Even when he has played, he has not convinced and rarely looks like scoring and we saw with McBurnie, Ndiaye and even Sharp, how little he does offer when he plays in comparison.

He still has another 2 years left on his contract but the fact he seems to be almost permanently injured or cannot remain fit for any length of time, means it is looking an expensive mistake. If we could find a team to take him on loan next season, I would be up for that and think it would suit all parties. If we tried to sell him, we would struggle to even get 20% of what we paid. Some seem convinced he can still be a factor here but not sure what they are basing this on? I expect he will go down as the biggest mistake in SUFC’s transfer history – seems a nice lad but we hugely overpaid and he has not really contributed much at all due to injuries/poor form.

Grade E (Last season C)

Daniel Jebbison
After a successful spell at Burton he came back at the end of the 21-22 season but struggled I thought in the game time he had and looked a long way off being a starter. Hecky clearly thought he could contribute and we did not sign any other strikers this summer despite losing Burke, Mousset and McGoldrick with only Khadra (not an out and out striker) coming in. He was involved in pre-season and started at Watford doing ok with little service – he then came on against Millwall. After this he did not start again and he also had some niggly injuries and despite being on the bench for a few games we only saw him briefly at Stoke right up until after Xmas when he came back from injury. He again had some time off the bench but I never thought he was that convincing and ended up losing the ball a lot when we needed to often keep it and protect leads. However, he got a rare start v Hull at home, scored and was man of the match. He looked quick, athletic and a threat. He showed some of the qualities we saw but after looking very good at Wrexham picked up a cheap, although harsh, red card for kicking out and was suspended for three games derailing a good spell when he looked like he could offer us something.

He came on at home to Middlesbrough but gave the ball away as they broke to score the clincher but was selected from the off at Millwall and not sure he was worse than anyone else before being subbed as we chased the game. He next started at Sunderland and he was excellent and played like he had v Hull/Wrexham but I think got another niggly injury when he was away with England u21’s.

Had a bit of game time in the run in from the bench – and then started v City as we looked to use pace but he gave a penalty away in a big moment but then he was superb against Preston and looked the striker we need – powerful, quick and making good decisions – that showed what he can do.

It was very stop start but we did see some flashes in games this season. We never got him tied down to a new contract but if he did depart, we do get compensation but surprised we were not able to get him a longer deal?

Grade C+ (Last season D-)

William Osula
Osula broke through towards the end of the 21-22 season and showed some flashes in games as a sub. A number of clubs were interested in taking him and he ended up with Derby before Paul Warne came in- he had wanted him at Rotherham before. He was under the wing of former Blade David McGoldrick and he showed flashes, often from the bench and scored a double in a league game at Accrington. He scored 3 in the cup games, many of these on TV and seemed to be well set to be a key player even if senior players like Collins and Didzy were starting more than him. A silly sending off and then the fact we had an injury crisis meant he was recalled to us. He then fractured his cheekbone in a stop start spell post Xmas.

Saw some playing time at Burnley as the game was effectively lost but then got amongst the goals at u21 level including a hat trick at the end of the season and had a really impressive cameo at Brum even if he missed a few but showed his pace, power and raw ability. He scored two hat tricks too in end of season games at the Lane. His contract status I am unsure about (might have one more year?) but as with Jebbison (as came through our academy) we retain their contract till 24 so if anyone wants to sign him, we get a fee which gives us some protection. Almost certain he will go out on loan again next season – hopefully to a Champ team maybe?

Louie Marsh Been prolific this season for the U21’s after stepping up and has even been around the fringes of the first team with a few sub appearances. Can play as an out and out striker or just off the front – very technical player and an eye for goal as he has shown. Always seems to be in the right place. Scored some lovely taken goals and got a hat trick at the end of the season. You wonder if we will try and get him out on loan next season to play ‘mens’ football?

Next season

Like midfield, an area we need to upgrade. We hope we keep Ndiaye but if he did leave, we would need a whole new forward line. Ideally, we keep Iliman, keep McBurnie a year (not sure he is a starter at Premier League level) and maybe Sharp stays around for experience but does not play very much and we have one of Jebbison (ideally him) and Osula remaining and the other on loan at the Championship level. Brewster there are too many questions about his ability and fitness and I would send him on loan too if we can. Means we would need maybe 2 or 3 at this level though. Ideally you get a proven striker who can partner Ndiaye – love to sign Gyokeres but fear we may get priced out. He is strong, quick and a good age.

I hope we can exploit the foreign market as you can get cheaper players but it is a risk. Weirdly for all the stick he got, Mousset did well actually in that first season and contributed to us doing so well. Strikers of course cost a lot more and I worry that we won’t have the funds to properly upgrade. We will need someone to nick us goals and take chances when they come but also be able to work hard for the team and hold it up. You sense that if he remains Ndiaye would have to drop deeper and support midfield and allow a lone striker to plough a lone furrow. It is an area that we need to be better in than we probably were last time at the Premier League as although we scored goals by committee, 6 goals was our leading scorer and we need someone to score more here.

Player / Position Years remaining (contract expires) Red this year Orange next year - Green longer contract –

Forwards

Billy Sharp Out of contract (2023) – club option 1 year

Oli McBurnie Out of contract (2023) – club option 1 year

Daniel Jebbison Out of contract (2023)

Will Osula Out of contract (2023)

Iliman Ndiaye 1 year (2024)

Rhian Brewster 2 years (2025)

Youngsters involved in 1st team last season or loans out (contracts unknown if not stated)

Louie Marsh 1 year (2024)

The comparison with Agana for the Millwall goal is spot on - didn’t cross my mind at the time but so true.

Even at Watford it was the fact the looked so much stronger and harder to knock off the ball that suggested he was a different and better player. So it proved.

To have seen him play for us has been a privilege.

Re Sharp history will record him as one of the all time greats. Legend is an abused term but he most definitely is one.

Definitely not retain Sharp, we have some excellent younger players, give them a chance see if they can step up
Keep Oli
Definitely keep Iliman, if we are down by January possibly sell and get what we can for him money wise
Brewster, who knows, on the face of it looks like a waste of millions and big mistake, needs to get fit and play consistently, even when he did play didn’t look anything special in relation to paying 20 millions for him and a big contract
We still need to buy at least one new forward, who is quick, skilful and mobile

Agree about Brewster. He had a very poor injury record before he came to us which begs the question why did we pay what we did for him. He was on one of the best contracts when in the EPL and our financial plight can be explained away by the fact he is likely to revert back to around £50k a week now we've gone up. The prospect of him being sat on the treatment table for the next 2 seasons does not bear thinking about. Cooper at Florist loves him so there could be opportunities for loans player exchanges here but he has to get fit and start a run of games. I've seen nothing in his game so far to suggest he is up to EPL standard and continually picking up injuries will not improve on his record to date. I'd love him to prove me wrong and tear up the division next season but the signs are not good. A significant upgrading of our medical and post match recovery facilities would help all round.

We need additions up front that goes without saying but how we set up will influence how well our forward line will perform. In CW's first season whilst finishing 9th we only scored 38 goals, it was our impeccable defence that earnt the plaudits. No matter who we bring in they will not score goals if we adopt a rigid formation in the middle and take ages to get the ball forward. 3-4-2-1 has to be continued with and I'm hopeful Mcb and Ndiaye will prosper in the EPL from us playing the same way we did in the championship.

Agree about Brewster. He had a very poor injury record before he came to us which begs the question why did we pay what we did for him. He was on one of the best contracts when in the EPL and our financial plight can be explained away by the fact he is likely to revert back to around £50k a week now we've gone up. The prospect of him being sat on the treatment table for the next 2 seasons does not bear thinking about. Cooper at Florist loves him so there could be opportunities for loans player exchanges here but he has to get fit and start a run of games. I've seen nothing in his game so far to suggest he is up to EPL standard and continually picking up injuries will not improve on his record to date. I'd love him to prove me wrong and tear up the division next season but the signs are not good. A significant upgrading of our medical and post match recovery facilities would help all round.

We need additions up front that goes without saying but how we set up will influence how well our forward line will perform. In CW's first season whilst finishing 9th we only scored 38 goals, it was our impeccable defence that earnt the plaudits. No matter who we bring in they will not score goals if we adopt a rigid formation in the middle and take ages to get the ball forward. 3-4-2-1 has to be continued with and I'm hopeful Mcb and Ndiaye will prosper in the EPL from us playing the same way we did in the championship.
Brewsters been one of our highest earners the last two Championship seasons whilst contributing nothing.
The thought that he gets a pay rise now we are in the Prem is beyond belief.

Sharp should go to make way for improvement. Club legend without a doubt and when he thumps the badge he really means it.
My view is IF he is being released then this should have been known before the PNE game and a proper send off organised

Give Sharp offer of coaching role. Would be on a lot less money than as a player.

McB definitely went off towards the end of the season. I wondered if he was carrying some kind of injury as no other obvious reason for dip in form? Have noticed how passionate he is. See all the videos of goals and the promotion celebrations. Would give him another contract.

Ndiaye must stay, because if he doesn’t and we don’t recruit well this lot will threaten our 20 goal record incompetence from our relegation season.

Back
Top Bottom