Darblade/Ainsley Harriott RIP

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Awful if seemingly inevitable news despite the fight he showed. I hope the Mental Health thread was a useful outlet for his anger and frustration.

Our thoughts are with the family he so desperately didn't want to leave behind.

His last words on the forum were that he loved you all.
Beautiful words.

We need a crying emoji.

The number of replies, comments on this thread are a tribute to how he touched us all on this forum, and in life to those that knew him.

I so wish I'd gone for a drink with him. He didn't live far from me...but I never offered.

If his family read this I'll be privileged to take his kids to match with me.

This has hit me far more than I ever thought possible...for a guy I'd never met

Ainsley's hatred for Wed***day always made me laugh, especially his bombarding of the EFL with emails demanding action be taken.
Absolute top lad in my opinion.
Those emails 🤣🤣🤣 I'd like to think he singalong handedly got them the pts deduction

The stories of his "typical pig" father in law.

Gutted to hear this. I didn’t know Ainsley but I enjoyed his contributions to this site. For all the disagreements and bickering on here, we’re all one family and it stings when we lose someone. RIP fella, love to your family and friends

Those emails 🤣🤣🤣 I'd like to think he singalong handedly got them the pts deduction

The stories of his "typical pig" father in law.

And the time he applied for a catering job at united to see why it took so long to get a pint 🤣. Don't think he went for the interview.

Last edited:
Forgot about that, hahaha.

Wish he could read this thread...
You know what

That's issue with death. Tell people you love them today...not when they die.

I'd imagine he'd be calling us soppy cunts.

I hope his family are OK. His kids know how much he loves them. And take solace in how many people on here liked him.

I am gutted about this. Matt reached out to me a few weeks ago when he learned I had been diagnosed with throat & tonsil cancer. He was brilliant with me, giving advice & pep talks to keep me going, never mentioning his own troubles, & I will never forget that. I don't actually know him, but I felt like I did, heartfelt condolences to his family & friends, he was a "gud un".
Mate - I know this thread is for Ains but just as he did, I couldn’t not reply to you given your diagnosis.
I’m very sorry to read that and whilst I may not be able to offer much in terms of practical experience like Ainsley sadly could, if there’s owt this random stranger can do, please just shout.
The Ainsley Effect - if we can do anything to honour him, it’s to look out for each other as best we can.
All the best pal.

Clearly meant so much to so many, wish I knew and spoke to him.

RIP Matt, terrible you are gone, but also glad you are in pain no longer.

View attachment 174547

Here's to you pal, and in keeping with the tributes posted here, I picked my "no bull" Bradfield pint glass. It seemed fitting!

My thoughts tonight are with those closest to Matt.

I don't contribute much, but scrolling this site is part of the daily routine - obviously because I'm a Blade, but also because I actually value posters views on things both on and off topic. Over the forum years Dar/Ains has been one of the honest voices I've 'listened' to more than most. Weirdly, without knowing someone, you get to know them.

I had a few beers in his name yesterday and plan one or two later now my similar aged little one is fast on (who will have to endure more unnecessary tight squeeze cuddles before I drop him off to school tomorrow).

Unfortunately I've no strongbow and shitty lager to make a diesel.

Rest in peace Dar/Ains

Going back to bladesmad he was one of the posters who I remembered, never realised AH was him but I think we slipped over here at roughly the same time come to think of it, it's no age though with a young family..

So very sad to read this tonight, thoughts with the family and friends..

A proper blade, I'm dedicating millwall's 4th to you mate, I know you would have liked that.

Shared several beers/cocktails with him while on the 1st Portugal pre season tour. A true gent and I cannot imagine what his family must be going through currently.
His stories could be written into a book as some of them were hilarious.
RIP Matt/Darblade

Being from the older generation I’ve always wondered if someone you have never met, someone you could walk past in the street and not know its them could be considered a friend.

Well judging from my reaction to reading this news yesterday the answer is yes.

Night night mate, I’ve enjoyed our interactions on the forum over the years, I’ll miss you.

Being from the older generation I’ve always wondered if someone you have never met, someone you could walk past in the street and not know its them could be considered a friend.

Well judging from my reaction to reading this news yesterday the answer is yes.

Night night mate, I’ve enjoyed our interactions on the forum over the years, I’ll miss you.
Mirrors my thoughts. I'm still shocked at how much I was effected when I opened the forum on Saturday night. I was having a drink and my pal said "biggie colours drained from yer face is everything all right?" I said someone I knows just passed which led to everyone asking who as we all in each others pockets. I fibbed and said someone I know from years ago as I don't think my friends would understand the forum and the feeling of community on here. We held a glass up for my friend and I ended up talking them threw his illness and what not. Some man was Ainsley. Game as a badger.

The last time he went to Bramall Lane was last April against West Brom with his brother.

Matt was struggling to get two tickets together, not on the Kop (He wasn't well enough for the Kop).

Fortunately Bert was only too pleased to help him. He sat next to Bert, and Matt loved every single minute of our win even though he probably knew that it would be his last ever visit to The Lane.

A very sad loss for all concerned.
This was the last time I saw Dar - coming out of the TC suite and he called out to me. I was genuinely shocked at his condition. The illness (which I wasn't aware of) had left him very frail and weak and I was fighting my emotions whilst speaking with him. However, despite being seriously ill and in pain, he was there at BDTBL supporting his beloved team. Beneath the illness and his frail body, the humour, the personality and spirit of Matt were bursting out and we chatted for 10 minutes about his illness and remembering some of the times we enjoyed beers together

So sad that this cruel, shitty disease has taken another good un. Dar was a huge personality and will be remembered by all those who had the good fortune to know him and spend some time in his company.

Back
Top Bottom