Daft signings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Add to that the aforementioned Retsos, Zivkovic, Burke and Rodwell. I'd argue some of the really early ones like Chris Hussey, James Wilson and Samir Carruthers might as well have not been here either for what they contributed, all signed and binned fairly swiftly.
There were plenty of early signings that didn’t work out. The difference then was that we screwed great value out of the initial deal. So we could easily move them on, often for decent profit.

It was in the premier league that Wilder lost his discipline. Partly because he was forced to gamble. Partly bad choices.

Fully agree, just seems to be a catalogue of hindsight on this thread though
Definitely - daft signings and bad signings have become very confused here.

Brayford - spending £2.5m of our £2.5m budget on a fullback, in the third division - just daft.

McBurnie - chasing one of the the league belows best strikers when you can’t score enough goals - not daft. Him turning out so shite makes him a bad signing though.

Got to be Ravel. Not a bad signing (as was free) but a daft signing who brought unprofessionalism into the dressing room and tied up wages which could have been used elsewhere.

Trying to fix a player which even some of the top managers have failed to do.

3 Wilder bafflers......Ricky Holmes, Lee Evans, Ryan Leonard
Luke Freeman. A man signed to play in a formation we scrapped a few days later
Burke and Thomas - wingers for a winger-less team.
Samir Carruthers

manchester-city-v-sheffield-united-nationwide-football-league-division-one.jpg

Never really realized how much Rush looked like a long-lost Chuckle Brother, Brother? (is that extra brother required)?

This thread would have been much shorter if it was entitled "Good signings"

manchester-city-v-sheffield-united-nationwide-football-league-division-one.jpg

Never really realized how much Rush looked like a long-lost Chuckle Brother, Brother? (is that extra brother required)?

Our kit here looks overall so much better with white socks than the original black ones, especially as that shirt had quite a lot of red so the white socks balance it all out.

Brewster was the daftest and most expensive signing.
Daft because
He was not what we needed at the time.
He was unproven.
Wilder knew this , so he said "one for the future"
Excuse me ? At £23m ? With PL survival and a midfielder & replacement for JoC needed ?
Some doubts about his horrendous knee injury & dodgy hamstrings.
Then he turned into a Bad signing.
Hardly played.
Hardly scored.
Worth a small fraction of what we paid and still owe.
Might be a nice lad but an absolute disaster for us , not his fault but ours for chucking our money away.

Brewster was the daftest and most expensive signing.
Daft because
He was not what we needed at the time.
He was unproven.
Wilder knew this , so he said "one for the future"
Excuse me ? At £23m ? With PL survival and a midfielder & replacement for JoC needed ?
Some doubts about his horrendous knee injury & dodgy hamstrings.
Then he turned into a Bad signing.
Hardly played.
Hardly scored.
Worth a small fraction of what we paid and still owe.
Might be a nice lad but an absolute disaster for us , not his fault but ours for chucking our money away.

Have we paid £23m or was that the full amount based on him meeting certain performance criteria?

For what it’s worth, in my opinion the main issue with Brewster is that he joined us at the wrong time. Had he come along during our upwards phase instead of our downwards phase we’d have seen a much more positive return from him.

Luke Freeman. A man signed to play in a formation we scrapped a few days later
Burke and Thomas - wingers for a winger-less team.
Samir Carruthers

With benefit of hindsight, yes.
But Carruthers and Freeman seemed like decent signings at the time.

Ryan France. It was rumoured we signed him because the pigs wanted him. I thought at the time that can't be true, surely as a club we wouldn't be that petty. With hindsight it might actually be true, he barely featured and it didn't look like management ever intended on him playing. I still can't work out what the angle was.

Oh and put another vote for Leon Britain down. How they ever thought him and Blackwell would work together I'll never know.

Can't we sign Jizz Hornkamp in t'summer just so we can have Jizz and Anel in the same team, managed by a Heckingbottom and owned by a bloke called Dozy!

Caolan Lavery. Chasing someone who hadn't made the grade in South Barnsley and spending a fair chunk of our League One budget on them qualifies as daft in my book. He was shite.

Geoff Horsefield is pound for pound the daftest signing we ever made.

shout outs to:

Jon Cullen
Jon Hunt
Laurens Ten Men
Nick Henry

Luke Beckett
Axel Smeets
Lauren Ten-Shovels
Forgot about Luke Beckett and just looked him up.. in fairness the championship was just a step too far his scoring record at League one and below is really impressive.

Do we know if he is a blade or not?

Forgot about Luke Beckett and just looked him up.. in fairness the championship was just a step too far his scoring record at League one and below is really impressive.

Do we know if he is a blade or not?
No idea but we made a decent profit on Beckett. Bought for £50k, loaned to Oldham for £25k then sold to Huddersfield for £85k.

Back
Top Bottom