Daft signings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bertieblade

Reaction score
Which are the most ridiculous signings we have ever made, not due to their quality but the circumstances

Start the ball rolling with
John Ebbrell
Signed with a history of injuries which meant nominee would insure him and we all know what happened

Leon Britton
Signed by Blackwell to boss our midfield, but then proceeded to miss it out by kicking the ball back to front and missing out midfield

John Cullen

Our scouting team were charged with the responsibility of improving our strike power and went out to buy the top scorer in the division below us.
Mate of mine was on a tour of the ground before he made his debut, bumped into him and asked him if he was excited at making his debut as our centre forward. He said he was really nervous as he was a midfield player ( true story ).

Apologies meant to post this in general

Mervyn Day - Yes, we were desperate, but there must have been plenty of other options

Warnock and his merry go round of 5th choice striker -

Andy Parkinson
Ashley whats his name
Luke Beckett
Horsefield
The Chinese Shearer

Andy Butler

EDIT - In fact all of Clough's signings that summer.

All we needed was to sign Coady on a permanent, get a striker in and a replacement for Maguire.

In the end we ended up with a bloated squad with no real quality

3 Wilder bafflers......Ricky Holmes, Lee Evans, Ryan Leonard
Add to that the aforementioned Retsos, Zivkovic, Burke and Rodwell. I'd argue some of the really early ones like Chris Hussey, James Wilson and Samir Carruthers might as well have not been here either for what they contributed, all signed and binned fairly swiftly.

At the time I thought James Beattie was a pointless signing - in some respects I still do.

We had Stead, Hulse, Shelton, Webber and then Sharp added in. I thought with Hulse coming back we'd have a really strong strikeforce anyway, the big thing was lack of creativity in midfield, we really suffered in the prem without an influential playmaker. We then spent 4 Million on Beattie who was terrible the season before at Everton on 40K a week.

Unpopular opinion as well, when we sold Beattie, we actually played better with Ward and Henderson going into the playoffs, for whatever reason Blackwell signed Craig Beattie and played him as a loan striker with Halford and Cotterill on the wings, which worked, but we were rubbish in the Palace game and the Playoff final.

Back
Top Bottom