Current Logo and its origins

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SotonBlade

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was asked a question this week and I was embarrassed not to know the answer. Do we know why when we came to design our current club crest why it was decided to use scimitar swords??

Hi all,

I was asked a question this week and I was embarrassed not to know the answer. Do we know why when we came to design our current club crest why it was decided to use scimitar swords??
I think Jimmy Hagan was credited with a version of the current design when it featured on a club blazer in the 50's? Silent Blade ?

A version of it featured on club blazers in the early 1960s. Doc Pace, Keith Kettleborough and Gerry Summers.

View attachment 173286
Maybe that’s them heading off on the tour I mentioned so maybe I’m getting missed up with the dates, he designed in 53 and the tour was later then? I’m sure Silent will clear it up.

Knowing how tight United are with money, those blazers from the 1960s are probably the same ones used on the 1953 tour!

Knowing how tight United are with money, those blazers from the 1960s are probably the same ones used on the 1953 tour!
Now you say that I’d be surprised if that isn’t what happened :D

Can someone post the text from that I'd like to read it. Fuck the athletic though. Bastards got me for 30 quid once.
Sheffield United’s club badge is fast approaching its 50th anniversary — and has endured more than most.

That is particularly the case among United’s Yorkshire peers, with Leeds United having had umpteen changes since the start of the 1970s and their neighbours Wednesday launching a new design as recently as 2016.

United’s badge, a clear nod to the club’s roots, first appeared on team shirts in 1977. But it’s origins can be traced back to the early 1950s and former player Jimmy Hagan.

He is credited with the crossed swords — or blades (a nickname United shared with Wednesday in their early days) — below a white rose of Yorkshire design that today is synonymous with Sheffield United. There have been slight tweaks down the years, including the adoption of a crest rather than roundel.

But, apart from the club’s 125th anniversary season in 2014-15 when the very first badge from the 19th Century was reprised, United’s players have spent the past 45 years sporting the brainchild of a former captain who spent two decades at Bramall Lane.

“Jimmy Hagan’s version of the badge was used on a club tour in 1953,” says John Garrett, United’s club historian and supporters’ liaison officer. “But that was it, at least for a time. Don’t forget, these were the days when clubs usually didn’t wear a badge on their shirts.

“There were no big kit deals back then. If Sheffield United needed a new kit, they just used to visit Cole Brothers (Sheffield’s iconic department store). They’d go in and order 50 red and white shirts.

GettyImages-637440924-1024x792.jpg

Jimmy Hagan’s design has endured to this day
“Things only changed in the mid-1960s. The 1964-65 season was the first time United ever wore a shirt badge in the league. It was the Sheffield coat of arms, an emblem they had previously worn in the 1925 and 1936 FA Cup finals.

“It wasn’t until 1977-78 that the design we know today first appeared on the shirts and in the programme. The club had realised that to make money out of their own badge, they needed to copyright something.

“Sheffield Council clearly wouldn’t let them copyright the city’s coat of arms so the crossed blades idea was revisited.”

Hagan’s design in the club colours of red, white and black is both simple and effective. There’s the two crossed swords to symbolise the city’s steel industry heritage. At one stage, 40 per cent of the steel produced in Europe came from Sheffield.

These sit below a Yorkshire Rose, the county’s symbol for centuries that is white as opposed to the red rose of Lancashire. Completing the design is a roundel containing both the club’s name and the year it was formed, 1889.

United’s badge can be found on all club correspondence, as well as the kits. It is as distinctive as the club headed notepaper from the 1930s (and possibly before) that featured two cricket balls and bats, a set of stumps and a football with two hands clasped together in greeting.

This was to reflect how Bramall Lane hosted both football and cricket, Yorkshire County Cricket Club first playing there in 1855. Sheffield United Cricket and Football Club remained in situ until the cricket section was given notice to quit in 1971. Yorkshire played their final County Championship game at the Lane two years later.

Hagan’s badge design has not just been confined to this country. When United bought a Chinese second tier club in 2006 as part of a wider scheme to create a portfolio of clubs around the world, the team was immediately rebranded ‘Chengdu Blades’.

The team colours were also switched to red and white and a new badge created, based very closely on United’s own design, including those familiar two crossed swords. The roundel was also retained, this time featuring the name ‘Chengdu Blades FC’ and ‘2006’, the year of United’s takeover.

That United should stick so closely to their own badge in the Far East spoke volumes, and underlined just what a good job Hagan, whose statue in the Bramall Lane car park was unveiled by his former Benfica player Eusebio in 2001, did when first putting pen to paper in the early Fifties.

“Simple is always good,” adds club historian Garrett. “The design was quite modern, too, for the time. That has helped it to endure. There have been a few tweaks. Colours of the handles and so on. But it is still the original design that first appeared on the club’s Admiral shirts in 1977-78. Not every club can say that.

“It is a classic. Not least because the badge made it easier for kids to be a Blade at school, and that can never be a bad thing. All you had to do was draw a pair of knives on your exercise book and you were a Blade. A lot easier than drawing an Owl!”

Can someone post the text from that I'd like to read it. Fuck the athletic though. Bastards got me for 30 quid once.
This is the first part which references Hagan.

Sheffield United’s club badge is fast approaching its 50th anniversary — and has endured more than most.

That is particularly the case among United’s Yorkshire peers, with Leeds United having had umpteen changes since the start of the 1970s and their neighbours Wednesday launching a new design as recently as 2016.

United’s badge, a clear nod to the club’s roots, first appeared on team shirts in 1977. But it’s origins can be traced back to the early 1950s and former player Jimmy Hagan.

He is credited with the crossed swords — or blades (a nickname United shared with Wednesday in their early days) — below a white rose of Yorkshire design that today is synonymous with Sheffield United. There have been slight tweaks down the years, including the adoption of a crest rather than roundel.

But, apart from the club’s 125th anniversary season in 2014-15 when the very first badge from the 19th Century was reprised, United’s players have spent the past 45 years sporting the brainchild of a former captain who spent two decades at Bramall Lane.

This is the first part which references Hagan.

Thanks chum

“Jimmy Hagan’s version of the badge was used on a club tour in 1953,” says John Garrett, United’s club historian and supporters’ liaison officer. “But that was it, at least for a time. Don’t forget, these were the days when clubs usually didn’t wear a badge on their shirts.

“There were no big kit deals back then. If Sheffield United needed a new kit, they just used to visit Cole Brothers (Sheffield’s iconic department store). They’d go in and order 50 red and white shirts.

“Things only changed in the mid-1960s. The 1964-65 season was the first time United ever wore a shirt badge in the league. It was the Sheffield coat of arms, an emblem they had previously worn in the 1925 and 1936 FA Cup finals.

“It wasn’t until 1977-78 that the design we know today first appeared on the shirts and in the programme. The club had realised that to make money out of their own badge, they needed to copyright something.

“Sheffield Council clearly wouldn’t let them copyright the city’s coat of arms so the crossed blades idea was revisited.”

Hagan’s design in the club colours of red, white and black is both simple and effective. There’s the two crossed swords to symbolise the city’s steel industry heritage. At one stage, 40 per cent of the steel produced in Europe came from Sheffield.

These sit below a Yorkshire Rose, the county’s symbol for centuries that is white as opposed to the red rose of Lancashire. Completing the design is a roundel containing both the club’s name and the year it was formed, 1889.

United’s badge can be found on all club correspondence, as well as the kits. It is as distinctive as the club headed notepaper from the 1930s (and possibly before) that featured two cricket balls and bats, a set of stumps and a football with two hands clasped together in greeting.

This was to reflect how Bramall Lane hosted both football and cricket, Yorkshire County Cricket Club first playing there in 1855. Sheffield United Cricket and Football Club remained in situ until the cricket section was given notice to quit in 1971. Yorkshire played their final County Championship game at the Lane two years later.

Hagan’s badge design has not just been confined to this country. When United bought a Chinese second tier club in 2006 as part of a wider scheme to create a portfolio of clubs around the world, the team was immediately rebranded ‘Chengdu Blades’.

The team colours were also switched to red and white and a new badge created, based very closely on United’s own design, including those familiar two crossed swords. The roundel was also retained, this time featuring the name ‘Chengdu Blades FC’ and ‘2006’, the year of United’s takeover.

That United should stick so closely to their own badge in the Far East spoke volumes, and underlined just what a good job Hagan, whose statue in the Bramall Lane car park was unveiled by his former Benfica player Eusebio in 2001, did when first putting pen to paper in the early Fifties.

“Simple is always good,” adds club historian Garrett. “The design was quite modern, too, for the time. That has helped it to endure. There have been a few tweaks. Colours of the handles and so on. But it is still the original design that first appeared on the club’s Admiral shirts in 1977-78. Not every club can say that.

“It is a classic. Not least because the badge made it easier for kids to be a Blade at school, and that can never be a bad thing. All you had to do was draw a pair of knives on your exercise book and you were a Blade. A lot easier than drawing an Owl!”
Ahhhh nice one

I know this is often attributed to Hagan, but I was speaking to my Dad, who is 85, and he's adamant it wasn't.

He mentioned a guy called Neil Godfrey who applied to some sort of competition in the Star or Green Un. He was an art student who attended Dinnington Modern and was originally from Kiveton Park and he won the competition for designing the badge.

I could find little on the internet but then it's not as if the Star from 1952 would be readily available. My Dad can remember him winning it.

So whether Hagan took that entry or what I have no idea. It just seemed a very precise thing for my Dad to be adamant about. My Dad was born in 1938 and this lad was a two or three of years older. At 17, when he won this competition, this would put him at around 1952 which potentially tie in with the original of the claim "United used the city of Sheffield's coat of arms from 1965–77, when a new crest was used, introduced by former manager Jimmy Sirrel, but designed apparently over 20 years previously by former player Jimmy Hagan".

Not sure how we turn back the clock and validate these things but I thought it was worth sharing.

I know this is often attributed to Hagan, but I was speaking to my Dad, who is 85, and he's adamant it wasn't.

He mentioned a guy called Neil Godfrey who applied to some sort of competition in the Star or Green Un. He was an art student who attended Dinnington Modern and was originally from Kiveton Park and he won the competition for designing the badge.

I could find little on the internet but then it's not as if the Star from 1952 would be readily available. My Dad can remember him winning it.

So whether Hagan took that entry or what I have no idea. It just seemed a very precise thing for my Dad to be adamant about. My Dad was born in 1938 and this lad was a two or three of years older. At 17, when he won this competition, this would put him at around 1952 which potentially tie in with the original of the claim "United used the city of Sheffield's coat of arms from 1965–77, when a new crest was used, introduced by former manager Jimmy Sirrel, but designed apparently over 20 years previously by former player Jimmy Hagan".

Not sure how we turn back the clock and validate these things but I thought it was worth sharing.

Interesting contribution.

However Jimmy Hagan's son posted was on this forum a few years back.

He said that he remembers his dad drawing the badge on the kitchen table in the early 50's, however as you say he might have already had the Neil Godfrey design. However as you say, apparently it was the manager at the time, Jimmy Sirrel, who decided to change the badge from the Sheffield coat of arms to a proper club badge.

Personally think it's one of the best badge designs in football, simple, covers the main points, the crossed Blades representing Sheffield steel, the white rose of Yorkshire and the year the club was formed, it's a clear design, no fuss and instantly stands out.

I am quite surprised to find United were kit supplied by Cole Bros.Fargate L-Church St R-Old Coles Corner.jpg
Cole Bros., situated bottom of Fargate and Church St. a department store of some standing, with many personnel memories as a child.
The balustrades on the stair were solid polished wood with approx. twelve inch diameter holes spaced approx. nine inch apart, running the length of the staircase. When fed up with tired little legs I would sit on the stairs and keep an eye on my mother looking through the holes.
Getting back to Blades kit suppliers I am of the understanding that post war Jack Archers of Bramall Lane,
Jack Archer's Sports shop Bramall Lane.png
supplied Blades and Wednesday's kits. Archers is shop on right, cobbled road is Ascot St.
I only used Archer's once,1963, bought a pair of boots with all rubber soles, blue, as at that time playing on hard surfaces, gypsum, and normal studs were useless.
Adidas boots 1963-2.jpg
Any how I could be wrong as I'm not at all in the know.
I say this with all due respect to yourself. and the marvelous photos posted combining the insights into life at BDTBL.

I am quite surprised to find United were kit supplied by Cole Bros.View attachment 173311
Cole Bros., situated bottom of Fargate and Church St. a department store of some standing, with many personnel memories as a child.
The balustrades on the stair were solid polished wood with approx. twelve inch diameter holes spaced approx. nine inch apart, running the length of the staircase. When fed up with tired little legs I would sit on the stairs and keep an eye on my mother looking through the holes.
Getting back to Blades kit suppliers I am of the understanding that post war Jack Archers of Bramall Lane,
View attachment 173309
supplied Blades and Wednesday's kits. Archers is shop on right, cobbled road is Ascot St.
I only used Archer's once,1963, bought a pair of boots with all rubber soles, blue, as at that time playing on hard surfaces, gypsum, and normal studs were useless.
View attachment 173313
Any how I could be wrong as I'm not at all in the know.
I say this with all due respect to yourself. and the marvelous photos posted combining the insights into life at BDTBL.
I had a pair of those boots also, brings back some memories ❤️

As for the kit supplier, I wouldn’t know myself, just copied and pasted the article, I’d imagine you and the article are possibly right at different times.

Back
Top Bottom