Sponsors- do you buy into them

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

dexter101

Reaction score
So this morning on my Instagram, I got a sponsored post pop up promoting some form of health shot as endorsed by SUFC. there was Wes, Trusty, Archer saying how they use them and what I assume is our nutritionist talking about how the club uses them. Glad they didnt have McBurnie saying how it keeps him fit 🫣

It got me wondering how many blades fans use products/companies that sponsor us?

I know there is the exposure aspect of sponsorship but at the end of the day, if you are paying good money to someone in sponsorship, surely you expect a good amount back in sales.

Would be interested in hearing about past sponsors as well as just the current ones.

I know multiple people that went on holiday in Malta on the back of our sponsorship.

I'm not a sheep*, i don't invest in that shite!

*whilst we're on that, WhiteHawk - pull ya finger out!

I know multiple people that went on holiday in Malta on the back of our sponsorship.

I'm not a sheep*, i don't invest in that shite!

*whilst we're on that, WhiteHawk - pull ya finger out!
Did we get an offer or just people fancied it. Wonder if Rwanda have have the same result from their arsenal sponsorship...

My wife used Morning wood, so that's Arnold Lavers ticked off the list 😉

Last edited:
I would never purchase any product or service without doing due diligence and comparing a few companies. Having said that I would add a company to my comparison list who sponsor the Blades because their name would be on my mind.

I can’t remember the last time I was interested in a company that was our shirt sponsor, but a few years ago my sister asked me who sold doors and I said Doordeals, just because it was on the shirt, she ended up going to B&Q.

Well I don't know about you, but I've just ordered a shit tonne of Desun fruit powder online, using my Capital One Credit card. Me and the missus are off to Malta at Easter, also paid for it on our Capital One credit card, for payment protection. Ordered a new motor at John Holland too, but put it on finance via Ramsden's, although considered a HFS loan first.

Don't tell me that advertising influences my free will. I'm my own man.

So this morning on my Instagram, I got a sponsored post pop up promoting some form of health shot as endorsed by SUFC. there was Wes, Trusty, Archer saying how they use them and what I assume is our nutritionist talking about how the club uses them. Glad they didnt have McBurnie saying how it keeps him fit 🫣

It got me wondering how many blades fans use products/companies that sponsor us?

I know there is the exposure aspect of sponsorship but at the end of the day, if you are paying good money to someone in sponsorship, surely you expect a good amount back in sales.

Would be interested in hearing about past sponsors as well as just the current ones.
Most sponsors have crap products, was already signed up to Nord VPN, but got some of those juices you’ve seen advertised on insta and they’re really good.

Generally have a look when we get a new sponsor but I often wonder why some sponsors choose to sponsor us

Most sponsors have crap products, was already signed up to Nord VPN, but got some of those juices you’ve seen advertised on insta and they’re really good.

Generally have a look when we get a new sponsor but I often wonder why some sponsors choose to sponsor us

I get maybe longer term sponsorships (where there's a good product) as word of mouth then spreads throughout the fan base, Friends talk to friends etc, and you get a good bit of advertising.

Anything food or drink related, I would buy though so will get some.

Just hope my hamstring doesn't go!

Some sponsors don't need many people who see the advert to spend with them. All about brand recognition really for larger companies.

Also with sponsoring a PL or EFL club the games are shown on TV during a season too.

Some sponsors don't need many people who see the advert to spend with them. All about brand recognition really for larger companies.

Also with sponsoring a PL or EFL club the games are shown on TV during a season too.
I still can't remember our shirt sponsor this year,! 😂

It's sales from getting their name seen on TV isn't it? Not local supporter sales.

It's sales from getting their name seen on TV isn't it? Not local supporter sales.
I get that in general but with our sponsorship deals:

1) CFI how many people watching our matches are going, yep I fancy a bit of that.
2) other sponsors (like the fruit shots I saw this morning) its being promoted to me as someone who following SUFC instagram, I wasn't aware they were a sponsor before this advert so I doubt many fans of other side are either.

I have always thought it about sponsorship deals, im curious to how much impact they have.

For example, Carlsberg sponsoring Liverpool really put me off the idea of buying a Carlsberg, Apart from Scousers, how many people watching TV decided to go out and buy a crate of that instead of another beer.

General raising a company profile I get (Emirates for example) but you then get the realm of others and I just struggle with what they are actually getting out of it.

I get that in general but with our sponsorship deals:

1) CFI how many people watching our matches are going, yep I fancy a bit of that.
2) other sponsors (like the fruit shots I saw this morning) its being promoted to me as someone who following SUFC instagram, I wasn't aware they were a sponsor before this advert so I doubt many fans of other side are either.

I have always thought it about sponsorship deals, im curious to how much impact they have.

For example, Carlsberg sponsoring Liverpool really put me off the idea of buying a Carlsberg, Apart from Scousers, how many people watching TV decided to go out and buy a crate of that instead of another beer.

General raising a company profile I get (Emirates for example) but you then get the realm of others and I just struggle with what they are actually getting out of it.
Advertising doesn't work like that though.
Lots of it is just giving a company credibility, even if it's subliminal.
If someone was doing a bit of international money transfer and CFI popped up, in the back of their brain, they'd go oh yeah I know of them.

Advertising doesn't work like that though.
Lots of it is just giving a company credibility, even if it's subliminal.
If someone was doing a bit of international money transfer and CFI popped up, in the back of their brain, they'd go oh yeah I know of them.
I get it but that brings me back to the original point, how many people on here use brands that they have seen as one of our sponsors? If 50% of blades fans have a capital one credit card then you think wow, advertising really works.

I just wonder its all a bit of a emperors new clothes and not many sponsorship deals are actually worth the value that gets put into them.

Credibility is a good point but would think this would be more for up and coming brands or alternatively for related products such as "official grass seed supplier".

I’ve been to Malta but that was pre-sponsorship.

I had some fit to fly Covid tests from Randox using the discount code in the SS bogs.

I’ve had fish and chips from Harry Ramsden but I don’t think he was related to the stolen goods reseller we partnered with.

I drank Wards once and never again.

I’m fairly sure I owned a Midas Game.

I’ve owned VW’s but not from the one who sponsored us.

I’ve booked a holiday via Teletext holidays before but a long time ago.

That’s about it.

There are some that become quite iconic, like Laver for us, Sharp & Man United, Liverpool & Carlsberg/Candy/Crown Paints, Arsenal & JVC/Emirates but there will have been plenty of others in between that nobody can remember without googling, especially all the Far Eastern gambling sites and forex companies.

We might mock the whole Chupa Chups thing but they've achieved what they wanted to and that people remember it years later (and remember not to buy one!). How many Blades stopped going into Asda in the early 90's?

Not sure I've ever bought anything because they're a sponsor, its more a case of seeing something, recognising it and then moving on with life unless that particular item or brand is the best option for what I want to buy.

I get it but that brings me back to the original point, how many people on here use brands that they have seen as one of our sponsors? If 50% of blades fans have a capital one credit card then you think wow, advertising really works.

I just wonder its all a bit of a emperors new clothes and not many sponsorship deals are actually worth the value that gets put into them.

Credibility is a good point but would think this would be more for up and coming brands or alternatively for related products such as "official grass seed supplier".
It's not because they sponsor your team, it just gives them exposure. So anybody watching a match on TV would see Capital One name. That's how they work.
Lots of it doesn't make sense to me, but that's what they do.
Team Viewer sponsor man utd. Next season they are having snapdragon, who make microchips for mobile phones. Wacky, but somebody must think it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom