Club Shop new range

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

But football is a place where those differences are put aside and you come together to support the same team, whatever your ethnicity or sexual orientation. When I used to knock about with the London Blades there were different ethnicities, political views, national origins, even sexualities, but you left all that at the door and supported United. This runs against that. It says you bring all that through the door and wave it around. It’s a retrograde step, if inclusivity is really the goal.
I appreciate that is your perspective, but what I'm saying is that I can't just go to the Lane and be a Blade like everyone else if I keep hearing homophobic abuse. Raising awareness that LGBTQ Blades do actually exist and might sit next to you at matches through either Rainbow Blades or a slightly naff scarf might force those shouting that abuse to realise that we should all come together and support the same team. For some people it might have taken Deane and Agana scoring goals every week to realise that black people weren't bad and actually start changing their behaviour in and out of football. Some of the blokes I heard on the train back from the Hull game moaning about the size of the Mosque might realise that players we love watching score goals like Moose and Ndiaye are Muslims, and maybe we need to be a bit more respectful of their faith. Who knows, it might just be a hopeless optimism but I'd hope that one day we can all just be Blades cheering and moaning all together

I appreciate that is your perspective, but what I'm saying is that I can't just go to the Lane and be a Blade like everyone else if I keep hearing homophobic abuse. Raising awareness that LGBTQ Blades do actually exist and might sit next to you at matches through either Rainbow Blades or a slightly naff scarf might force those shouting that abuse to realise that we should all come together and support the same team. For some people it might have taken Deane and Agana scoring goals every week to realise that black people weren't bad and actually start changing their behaviour in and out of football. Some of the blokes I heard on the train back from the Hull game moaning about the size of the Mosque might realise that players we love watching score goals like Moose and Ndiaye are Muslims, and maybe we need to be a bit more respectful of their faith. Who knows, it might just be a hopeless optimism but I'd hope that one day we can all just be Blades cheering and moaning all together
Why does it matter whether the Blade you're sat next to is 2SLGBTQQIA+ or not? Unless you're cruising its immaterial.

I wasn't expecting to step back into the 1980s until I walked off the train in Barnsley on Sunday, but we seem to be here already with some of the comments on this thread...

I think you overestimate the advances made in Barnsley but funny anyway.

Why does it matter whether the Blade you're sat next to is 2SLGBTQQIA+ or not? Unless you're cruising its immaterial.
You're clearly not bothering to read the posts and engage with this seriously so think I'll leave it there. UTB

You're clearly not bothering to read the posts and engage with this seriously so think I'll leave it there. UTB
We've been told that this is a debate worth having and I'm trying to have it, I'm being perfectly polite, so if you have a rebuttal I'm all ears.

If you don't like to see it, that does mean you are not accepting it.

If it makes you feel awkward or feel sick then again that means you don't accept it.

I don't particularly like to see a snake squeezing a poor rodent, sometimes still alive, down its fat neck either, but it's nature, its normal and I accept it.

Does that make me snakeist? do I suffer from Snakeism?

Great to see our Club Shop catering for the new diverse fans we want to see at the Lane. Hope this makes them feel more welcomed into our Blades family 👍
There’s been a lot of praise on here for the fact that the club shop is showing how inclusive it is by selling rainbow scarves.

It will only be really inclusive when it starts to sell blue and white striped shirts.

But football is a place where those differences are put aside and you come together to support the same team, whatever your ethnicity or sexual orientation. When I used to knock about with the London Blades there were different ethnicities, political views, national origins, even sexualities, but you left all that at the door and supported United. This runs against that. It says you bring all that through the door and wave it around. It’s a retrograde step, if inclusivity is really the goal.
If you take that argument to its logical conclusion, the use of the rainbow flag in any context would be an unnecessary retrograde step?

Where your argument falls down is on the assumption that all LGBTQ+ fans have the same matchday experience as heterosexual fans. I'm not gay, but there are a number of posters in this thread who have told you this isn't the case. Until it is, then there obviously is a need for the rainbow flag.

If you take that argument to its logical conclusion, the use of the rainbow flag in any context would be an unnecessary retrograde step?

Where your argument falls down is on the assumption that all LGBTQ+ fans have the same matchday experience as heterosexual fans. I'm not gay, but there are a number of posters in this thread who have told you this isn't the case. Until it is, then there obviously is a need for the rainbow flag.
That isn't the logical conclusion of my argument at all. If the gathering is related to sexuality - a Pride parade, say - then a flag that marks sexuality is entirely appropriate. At a football match, however, it isn't.

As for matchday experiences, a few years ago I took a friends mixed race daughter to her first United match. I bought her a scarf for the occasion. It was red and white, like all the other scarfs the Unitedites were carrying. Now, if I'd given her a BAME scarf and said "Here, they have a special scarf for people who look like you", do you think she would have felt more or less included?

That isn't the logical conclusion of my argument at all. If the gathering is related to sexuality - a Pride parade, say - then a flag that marks sexuality is entirely appropriate. At a football match, however, it isn't.

As for matchday experiences, a few years ago I took a friends mixed race daughter to her first United match. I bought her a scarf for the occasion. It was red and white, like all the other scarfs the Unitedites were carrying. Now, if I'd given her a BAME scarf and said "Here, they have a special scarf for people who look like you", do you think she would have felt more or less included?
I suspect you are over thinking this. It is some merchandise that the club is selling, presumably because they think they will make some money on it. Some will buy it many will not, no harm done. Maybe some who buy it will also have a red and white scarf to take to the game. If I see someone sat next to me wearing the rainbow one the impact on my life will be precisely zero.

I suspect you are over thinking this. It is some merchandise that the club is selling, presumably because they think they will make some money on it. Some will buy it many will not, no harm done. Maybe some who buy it will also have a red and white scarf to take to the game. If I see someone sat next to me wearing the rainbow one the impact on my life will be precisely zero.
This site does exist to discuss Blades related issues.

Is she choosing the scarf herself, or did you (as a white person) pick it out for her? That's a big difference.

The discussion about whether the scarf represents SUFC or not because of rainbow vs red & white is silly.

It literally has our name & a massive Blades crest on it so of course it represents the club, just as much as any other gear.

Indeed, but I tend to refrain from posting about things that I don't think matter. Life is too short.
I think it matters that people should be allowed to buy it if that is what they want to do. I just don't see why people should get so worked up by people who do buy it. As you say, life's too short.

I think it matters that people should be allowed to buy it if that is what they want to do. I just don't see why people should get so worked up by people who do buy it.
My issue is more with the club selling them, and if you want to know why you can read back through my posts.

The scarves are a step in the right direction but they don't go far enough imo, despite being a 44 year old balding white male I identify as a 78 year old west Indian lady with tourettes on Tuesdays and don't really find football all that interesting

I think it would be a real gesture if they stop play after 20 minutes or so of tonight's game so I can do my rupaul drag race twerking in front of the away end for the rest of the 90 mins

I'm sure those woke london types in the away end would love it

I have a mate who is gay, supports Arsenal,he was called a rear gunner he so the funny side😊

The scarves are a step in the right direction but they don't go far enough imo, despite being a 44 year old balding white male I identify as a 78 year old west Indian lady with tourettes on Tuesdays and don't really find football all that interesting

I think it would be a real gesture if they stop play after 20 minutes or so of tonight's game so I can do my rupaul drag race twerking in front of the away end for the rest of the 90 mins

I'm sure those woke london types in the away end would love it

That doesn't really give our fans time to get a drink or a pie beforehand but I for one really want to see that show in front of the Millwall fans.

I don't think it's non acceptance.
We all accept it in bars, restaurants, in the park,
It's just not my preferred viewing on TV .

We can all use our clichés about our gay friends, we've all got them, and me and my Mrs are no different.

One chap even sleeps at our house regularly after a few beers watching the football, when my missus is on nights. It doesn't bother me at all.

But I suppose using those clichés will somehow make me worse.

The truth is, straight men feel awkward, and a bit embarrassed watching one bloke tickling another's tonsils on TV

Any straight man that says he's comfortable with it is lying to save face and fit in with a world that will criticise him if he was honest about it.

It serves no purpose at all, we all know what's happening without having to see it in such graphic detail in Corrie or Eastenders at 7pm in the evening
Literally read your post own mate. Think about your language these are the words of someone who isn't accepting of homosexuality, I'm sure this is challenging and not nice to hear.

Making a few assumptions this doesn't mean you are a bigot or actively discriminate, just means you've been raised in an era when homosexuality was discriminated against and portrayed as abnormal.

However, if as a functioning adult you can't grow, challenge and change your thinking from rejection to acceptance or even ambivalence, to point that you don't feel "sick", "embarrassing", "cringey" or "awkward" then it's probably tells of your true beliefs.

The fact you outright reject the idea of other straight men finding it normal, says a fair bit.

I’m sure you could spot the odd rainbow blade scarf in around the pubs tonight, I’ve tried in vain but unfortunately my view appears to be obscured by the legion of Blades not giving a fuck.

Back
Top Bottom