Club Shop new range

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No
Not really,
It just makes me feel a bit cringy,
Like it has to be in every programme, to meet the expected and demanded gay exposure quota.

Any straight man would be lying if he said he could watch two men kissing and not be completely turned off by it.

Doesn't mean there is hatred or non acceptance, it just means there is.....Noooooo don't !!!! yeeeuukk !!!

Sounds like there's a fair bit of non-acceptance to me.

I've watched two men kissing. Am fine with it. But then I've also kissed a bloke too. And shagged one. So maybe I'm desensitised. I am straight though - I explored once out of curiosity, and never been more sure of being straight since having the experience. It wasn't bad, but the excitement was just because of the novelty of it. Glad I did it though, learned a lot about myself.

I'm not sure how that fits in with the neat boxes you've got in your head for different people and the ways that those different people need to behave. Sorry to anyone for causing confusion, but I think it's important to challenge the notion that 'straight' people behave or feel any particular way. The only thing straight people have in common is a broad sexual preference for the opposite sex. There's a lot of nuance and variety within that though.

I'm all for rainbow scarves. Might get one myself, mainly because of how gloriously incongruous it is with how I've come to regard United and football supporting in general. It feels quite rebellious, mainly because it is so challenging to some people.

Sounds like there's a fair bit of non-acceptance to me.

I've watched two men kissing. Am fine with it. But then I've also kissed a bloke too. And shagged one. So maybe I'm desensitised. I am straight though - I explored once out of curiosity, and never been more sure of being straight since having the experience. It wasn't bad, but the excitement was just because of the novelty of it. Glad I did it though, learned a lot about myself.

I'm not sure how that fits in with the neat boxes you've got in your head for different people and the ways that those different people need to behave. Sorry to anyone for causing confusion, but I think it's important to challenge the notion that 'straight' people behave or feel any particular way. The only thing straight people have in common is a broad sexual preference for the opposite sex. There's a lot of nuance and variety within that though.

I'm all for rainbow scarves. Might get one myself, mainly because of how gloriously incongruous it is with how I've come to regard United and football supporting in general. It feels quite rebellious, mainly because it is so challenging to some people.

I don't think it's non acceptance.
We all accept it in bars, restaurants, in the park,
It's just not my preferred viewing on TV .

We can all use our clichés about our gay friends, we've all got them, and me and my Mrs are no different.

One chap even sleeps at our house regularly after a few beers watching the football, when my missus is on nights. It doesn't bother me at all.

But I suppose using those clichés will somehow make me worse.

The truth is, straight men feel awkward, and a bit embarrassed watching one bloke tickling another's tonsils on TV

Any straight man that says he's comfortable with it is lying to save face and fit in with a world that will criticise him if he was honest about it.

It serves no purpose at all, we all know what's happening without having to see it in such graphic detail in Corrie or Eastenders at 7pm in the evening

Well done Sheffield United. You put a pride scarf on sale and prompt 7K views and 173 posts proving that this is a debate that needed to be had, even if you don’t sell any scarfs (and I know you have sold at least 2) I’d call that a success.

Despite the fact that 5 minutes on the rainbow laces or rainbow blades websites would have answered many of the questions asked.

Imagine the reaction of some of the posters on this thread if they found out the club shop has been selling pride pin badges and fridge magnets for the past 18 months.

Keep talking Blades, keep prejudice in open forum where it can’t sulk and fester in dark corners.

View attachment 122888
What debate is it that needed to be had? Whether gay folks should be allowed to be gay? I don’t see anyone debating otherwise. Whether gay folks should be welcome at the Lane? Again, I don’t see anyone debating otherwise.

Is it a desirable development that we are now segregating our fans (not red and white for all but one set of colours for BAME Blades, another set for 2SLGBTQQIA+ Blades)? That might be a debate worth having. After all, I’m old enough to remember when it was football that united and racism that divided.

We can all use our clichés about our gay friends, we've all got them, and me and my Mrs are no different.

One chap even sleeps at our house regularly after a few beers watching the football, when my missus is on nights. It doesn't bother me at all.

The truth is, straight men feel awkward, and a bit embarrassed watching one bloke tickling another's tonsils on TV

Any straight man that says he's comfortable with it is lying to save face and fit in with a world that will criticise him if he was honest about it.

It serves no purpose at all, we all know what's happening without having to see it in such graphic detail in Corrie or Eastenders at 7pm in the evening
Am I hearing right? You're OK & accepting of two REAL Gay Guys kissing in Bars, Restaurants, Parks, etc. But not OK & accepting of two actors PRETENDING to be Gay Guys kissing on the Tele?
I mean, fair play for being accepting of the real life stuff, but that seems a bit of an odd take to me.
Did you ever see that film Superman? He couldn't really fly. It was all done by him acting & some wires.

What debate is it that needed to be had? Whether gay folks should be allowed to be gay? I don’t see anyone debating otherwise. Whether gay folks should be welcome at the Lane? Again, I don’t see anyone debating otherwise.

Is it a desirable development that we are now segregating our fans (not red and white for all but one set of colours for BAME Blades, another set for 2SLGBTQQIA+ Blades)? That might be a debate worth having. After all, I’m old enough to remember when it was football that united and racism that divided.
Wish we could all be red and white at the Lane. I’m not looking to go and snog my partners face off, I want to go and watch the football. But we need groups like Rainbow Blades because homophobic abuse is still going on at the Lane and in football and life in general. I’ve said more in another post above but I have reported abuse twice and heard it a lot more where I’ve not been able to identify the person. Hearing the bloke behind me shout vile abuse doesn’t really make me feel proud to be a Blade united with people like that. “We’re all Blades” doesn’t really work when some Blades fans clearly have hate for LGBTQ people and aren’t afraid of who knows it

I'm a straight man and it doesn't bother me in the slightest, so you're just flat wrong on this one I'm afraid.
I would have no issue expressing the same in a country where homophobia was the norm as well, and sadly there's plenty of those, so it's got nothing to do with social pressure.

Most of what you're saying here is projection- that because you're personally uncomfortable with it then surely no other straight male could be either, but the truth is that you have no way of knowing.

Please stop claiming to speak for half the population.

No
Not really,
Like it has to be in every programme, to meet the expected and demanded gay exposure quota.

Any straight man would be lying if he said he could watch two men kissing and not be completely turned off by it.

Doesn't mean there is hatred or non acceptance, it just means there is.....Noooooo don't !!!! yeeeuukk !!!

Your reaction is the clear definition 'non acceptance'

Moron.

Your reaction is the clear definition 'non acceptance'

Moron.

Stop talking bollocks and trying to turn it into something it isn't

I knew damn well there'd be a few snowflakes reacting to what is a truthful comment

Just because most men don't like to see it because it turns them off, doesn't mean they are not accepting of it.

There's a million other things I don't particularly like to see on TV, but there's no vendetta or hatred about it.

I knew damn well there'd be a few snowflakes reacting to what is a truthful comment

Just because most men don't like to see it because it turns them off, doesn't mean they are not accepting of it.

There's a million other things I don't particularly like to see on TV, but there's no vendetta or hatred about it.
Why are we snowflakes for calling out homophobia?

Most men? Have you put a poll out and got data to prove that 'most men' don't like to see it?

If this is your truthful opinion, then that's your business. But if you didn't want a reaction to your view, then maybe you should have kept it to yourself 🤷‍♂️

If your looking for bigots, the Marxist on your profile picture set up labour camps for gay people where they were beaten, raped and murdered.
He's changed it now to Mark Duffy, which lends your post a certain House of Games answer type of hilarity. 🤣

Those two Male Actors you see kissing each other on the Tele have been to acting school. They've learned how to pretend to die if someone fires a pretend gun at them. They've learned how to sound like they're Scottish, when they're really from Liverpool. They've learned how to make it look like they're really scared, when they're not. And .... they've learned how to make it look like they're kissing someone when they're actually not. You're being "turned off" by acting in a made up story. They're literally fooling you.

You’re entitled to feel how you want about such things. But I think you’re going a bit far to suggest depicting blokes kissing on tv soaps serves no purpose, and to imply (as I think you are), that it should be hidden from early evening tele.

Speaking as a dull 40-something chap, I'm pretty happy to accept that my personal horizons and preferences shouldn’t dictate what’s on tv. If they did, there wouldn’t be any Eastenders or Corrie at all. They'd be lots test cricket though. And maybe some repeats of Roobarb and Custard.

Yes a debate that needs to be had, but with the right section of the community.

I don’t have any idea why the LGBT+ community at the Lane would want to single themselves out with different colours, but I do know what the mission statement says on the rainbow blades site.

"To bring the LGBT+ communities and Allies of Sheffield United Football Club together to celebrate the diversity of the club, highlight inclusion and increase LGBT+ visibility. Ensuring a safe and inclusive environment for all Blades at a progressive football club."

Maybe a member of the LGBT+ community could explain why. I’ll just ware my allies badge inside and outside the Lane to show my support that watching football is inclusive.

If you don't like to see it, that does mean you are not accepting it.

If it makes you feel awkward or feel sick then again that means you don't accept it.

Reactions: MJM

I don’t have any idea why the LGBT+ community at the Lane would want to single themselves out with different colours, but I do know what the mission statement says on the rainbow blades site.

"To bring the LGBT+ communities and Allies of Sheffield United Football Club together to celebrate the diversity of the club, highlight inclusion and increase LGBT+ visibility. Ensuring a safe and inclusive environment for all Blades at a progressive football club."

Maybe a member of the LGBT+ community could explain why. I’ll just ware my allies badge inside and outside the Lane to show my support that watching football is inclusive.

The inclusive thing would be to have a red and white scarf like everyone else. Having different colours for fans of different ethnicities or sexual orientations is the opposite of inclusive.

The inclusive thing would be to have a red and white scarf like everyone else. Having different colours for fans of different ethnicities or sexual orientations is the opposite of inclusive.

Sometimes the message can be confusing - we are the same but different. It's like black music awards - can't we just have music awards?

"single themselves out"
You don't have to be gay to buy one of these Rainbow Scarves. They don't check at the till. Straight fans can & will also buy them. Pride, rainbow logos, etc are not necessarily a badge to say - I am of this sexual orientation.

Again .... people buying & wearing Rainbow Scarves (for eg) are not necessarily saying - I'm wearing this because I'm gay, because I'm different.

No
Not really,

Not sure you need to lie to save face on an Internet forum as there is no face to save, its almost as though its a faceless nearly anonymous way of communicating. Maybe these straight people you talk about who are comfortable with homosexual embraces are conforming or "lying" as you say - as a means to save their really interesting online personas (that nobody gives a fuck about).
I'd argue it does serve a purpose showing two gay men embracing or kissing as the more people see of this the less they are likely to feel uncomfortable, cringe, or be shocked (some will obviously never accept it). I have older generations of my family who would say the same as you, and I cringe at their reactions and the comments they say. I'm straight and couldn't give a shit who kisses who, am I a snowflake? Or am I lying to save face to keep up my amazing persona on s24su?

Sometimes the message can be confusing - we are the same but different. It's like black music awards - can't we just have music awards?
It's due to being treated differently under the law and in society- and not all that long ago. For example, the Sexual Offences Act 1967 sort of decriminalised sex between 2 men. Tony Currie joined the Blades in 1968. Countless Blades fans fondly remember TC, and were alive and kicking during that time where being gay was a crime in the UK. The age of consent was not equalised to match that of hetrosexual couples until 2000, the same year that Neil Warnock led the Blades to victory over Wednesday at Hillsborough- I wonder how many on here have fond memories of that day. This is not ancient history that no one living remembers, and discriminatory laws have an impact on a culture where LGBTQ people are not seen as equals.

I think most of us would like to be treated equally, but with our differences acknowledged and respected. Our lives in Sheffield as Blades fans are difffernt to the lives of Millwall fans from Burmondsey. We will have differences and similarities with them that will be interesting or mundane. We might be proud Yorkshire folk, where they are Cockneys. We can be proud of our difference and want this to be celebrated and acknowledged, whilst also knowing that fundamentally were all just humans watching 22 blokes kick a ball around

Again .... people buying & wearing Rainbow Scarves (for eg) are not necessarily saying - I'm wearing this because I'm gay, because I'm different.
If you’re on the Kop waving a scarf that isn’t red and white (some black allowed) that is exactly what you’re saying.

It's due to being treated differently under the law and in society- and not all that long ago. For example, the Sexual Offences Act 1967 sort of decriminalised sex between 2 men. Tony Currie joined the Blades in 1968. Countless Blades fans fondly remember TC, and were alive and kicking during that time where being gay was a crime in the UK. The age of consent was not equalised to match that of hetrosexual couples until 2000, the same year that Neil Warnock led the Blades to victory over Wednesday at Hillsborough- I wonder how many on here have fond memories of that day. This is not ancient history that no one living remembers, and discriminatory laws have an impact on a culture where LGBTQ people are not seen as equals.

I think most of us would like to be treated equally, but with our differences acknowledged and respected. Our lives in Sheffield as Blades fans are difffernt to the lives of Millwall fans from Burmondsey. We will have differences and similarities with them that will be interesting or mundane. We might be proud Yorkshire folk, where they are Cockneys. We can be proud of our difference and want this to be celebrated and acknowledged, whilst also knowing that fundamentally were all just humans watching 22 blokes kick a ball around
But football is a place where those differences are put aside and you come together to support the same team, whatever your ethnicity or sexual orientation. When I used to knock about with the London Blades there were different ethnicities, political views, national origins, even sexualities, but you left all that at the door and supported United. This runs against that. It says you bring all that through the door and wave it around. It’s a retrograde step, if inclusivity is really the goal.

I am perhaps typical that I look at it from a straight (but well meaning) perspective. At the end of the day it's what ever makes our fellow Blades more comfortable that counts. UTB

But football is a place where those differences are put aside and you come together to support the same team, whatever your ethnicity or sexual orientation. When I used to knock about with the London Blades there were different ethnicities, political views, national origins, even sexualities, but you left all that at the door and supported United. This runs against that. It says you bring all that through the door and wave it around. It’s a retrograde step, if inclusivity is really the goal.
Isn't "London Blades" just another way to distinguish yourself from other Blades? Isn't "Walthamstow Blade"? Waving around where you come from would also be a retrograde step under your logic wouldn't it?

Isn't "London Blades" just another way to distinguish yourself from other Blades? Isn't "Walthamstow Blade"? Waving around where you come from would also be a retrograde step under your logic wouldn't it?
It was actually a way of distinguishing us from, say, the London Owls. Perhaps we should have been more inclusive and let some grunters join.

Not sure you need to lie to save face on an Internet forum as there is no face to save, its almost as though its a faceless nearly anonymous way of communicating. Maybe these straight people you talk about who are comfortable with homosexual embraces are conforming or "lying" as you say - as a means to save their really interesting online personas (that nobody gives a fuck about).
I'd argue it does serve a purpose showing two gay men embracing or kissing as the more people see of this the less they are likely to feel uncomfortable, cringe, or be shocked (some will obviously never accept it). I have older generations of my family who would say the same as you, and I cringe at their reactions and the comments they say. I'm straight and couldn't give a shit who kisses who, am I a snowflake? Or am I lying to save face to keep up my amazing persona on s24su?

Who said anything about keeping your amazing persona on S2

I was talking about the world in general

And the fucking idiots that automatically assume that because I don't like to watch two men getting it on that that must make me homophobic and non accepting.

It means nothing of the sort

It was actually a way of distinguishing us from, say, the London Owls. Perhaps we should have been more inclusive and let some grunters join.
I was in the London Blades when Bob handed over the reins in 1981. Served in them until 1993. I know what they used to stand for in those days. Thanks.....

Back
Top Bottom