Club Shop new range

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I love this post mate. Proper Terrace Culture - a force for good, a force for change. Football fans being pro Gay Rights (for example) is not sanitising football. Quite the opposite it's invigorating football, energising it. Keep Politics In Football.....
Any chance of a banner with that on it Phil? Or maybe a t-shirt?

I buy the occasional t-shirt from the site 'Philosophy Football'. They have various sections - 'Dissenters', 'Philosophers' etc much to be admired, even purchased.

You went on Mumsnet (?) to argue that a bloke convicted of rape might not be a rapist.

How did you think that would end up?

True….I’d spoke about another subject earlier on Mumsnet and they all seemed quite reasonable.
I was only mildly giving mitigating circumstances about Ched but still made it clear I wasn’t supporting him and thought his behaviour was terrible.
However there were some (a small number of) posters where the bile and hatred towards men was worryingly extreme, they received warnings from the mods.
Some women tried to give a more balanced viewpoint and they were also shouted down and verbally attacked.
Ive learnt my lesson and stopped discussing Ched on any forum in those days until I knew my audience better.
It was the same with Brexit…racism and BLM…covid..etc. You need to know your audience before giving honest opinions…which is a shame really….if discussion/ respectful difference of opinion is shut down then neither side will ever learn.

We talk about diversity and appreciating/ accepting minority differences….but many have zero tolerance towards an opinion that is different to theres.

As a heterosexual bloke, I'm not sure I can speak for how welcoming the Lane has felt for homosexual fans. I'm not able to take that perspective or speak with any certainty for their lived experiences.

Any initiative, small act, piece of merchandise or otherwise that is actively welcoming of all, is welcome in my book.
Exactly this. There are so many people who claim to be accepting and say everyone’s welcome, but then boot off about a scarf.

If you don’t want a rainbow scarf, don’t buy one.

World's gone stark raving f ING mad ,our grand parents would laugh their socks off at us .sensitive isn't the word
I'm waiting for doggy scarfs ,boat people scarves ,offender scarfs£20 pound off social credit scarfs, real ale drinkers carrier bags ,, utb and good bye .we will do magic but not in a silly hat 🎩
Are those (y)our grandparents that lived / benefitted from a nation that criminalised homosexuality < 1967; prevented universal suffrage <1928 & maintained an (oppressive) Empire <1947?

Are those (y)our grandparents that lived / benefitted from a nation that criminalised homosexuality < 1967; prevented universal suffrage <1928 & maintained an (oppressive) Empire <1947?
If anything I’m laughing at them from the comfort of my centrally heated house with the option of inside toilet should I need a shite.

Exactly this. There are so many people who claim to be accepting and say everyone’s welcome, but then boot off about a scarf.

If you don’t want a rainbow scarf, don’t buy one.
The latter is a sentiment I share, but folk can still comment on how misguided this is. After all, why post about it if folk aren’t supposed to comment on it?

The one issue I have with this ,is whos idea is it ? Is it a member of the gay community or just someone do gooder trying to earn brownie points ? The reason I ask is one of our friends at matches is lesbian ,shes out ,just called off her engagement in fact ,but I know she will absolutely hate this. She hates pride , she sees it as pretend gays attracting attention. She is a soldier so maybe in a different environment but she hates attention being drawn to her.

The one issue I have with this ,is whos idea is it ? Is it a member of the gay community or just someone do gooder trying to earn brownie points ? The reason I ask is one of our friends at matches is lesbian ,shes out ,just called off her engagement in fact ,but I know she will absolutely hate this. She hates pride , she sees it as pretend gays attracting attention. She is a soldier so maybe in a different environment but she hates attention being drawn to her.
Bert has a good friend who is gay, he wouldn't be seen dead in a gay scarf.
Not every gay person takes up the crusade. Good luck to those that do however, but it's not for everyone.

I’ve been on terraces of the Bundesliga and seen the ultras protest against homophobia. Their “edge”, atmosphere, whatever you call it, is probably 100 times greater than the sanitised bollocks over here. The noise is on a completely different level.
Their "edge" could cause issues for fans with sensory issues.
How about the new age Shoreham masculine, feminine, neuter and common Ultras express their support with jazz hands?
Or would this cause sensory overload for people (and dogs and cats in attendance) with visual sensitivity?

Why is it nonsense ,your sexuality is your own concern or should I say it should be ,it doesn't have to be shouted from the roof tops ,and the lane has allways been welcoming for anyone

I actually agree with this. Sexuality shouldn’t matter, and there shouldn’t be a need to encourage respect, or convince people that not being straight is ‘normal’.

Pride shouldn’t be necessary.

Unfortunately though, the majority of this thread has shown that it really is.

Their "edge" could cause issues for fans with sensory issues.
How about the new age Shoreham masculine, feminine, neuter and common Ultras express their support with jazz hands?
Or would this cause sensory overload for people (and dogs and cats in attendance) with visual sensitivity?

Que?

What if the club shop started selling SUFC branded potted meat. Shit would really hit the fan.

No issues with it. The club are trying to be inclusive. As far as I am aware the club liaised with Rainbow Blades and clearly believe its a good idea and there is a market for it.

It's interesting that noone kicks up a fuss about female merchandise being pink?

Or the gnomes aren't female or black?

A few of the posts in here show some very outdated views I feel.

The club shop sells a lot of stuff many fans are not being bothered about or dislike but don't see a thread every time a new item is put on sale people do not like.

No issues with it. The club are trying to be inclusive. As far as I am aware the club liaised with Rainbow Blades and clearly believe its a good idea and there is a market for it.

It's interesting that noone kicks up a fuss about female merchandise being pink?

Or the gnomes aren't female or black?

A few of the posts in here show some very outdated views I feel.

The club shop sells a lot of stuff many fans are not being bothered about or dislike but don't see a thread every time a new item is put on sale people do not like.
To be fair the thread starter Rodders said it was a positive thing! Apologies

One club , three colours , for everyone .utb
1. Its a product to sell and money for the club (this is probably the main reasoning)
2. Think of it more like a SUFC product that can be worn at Pride events etc, rather than a pride product that can be worn at the lane (although I'm sure it will be)
3. They are for everyone, not just the minorities they show support for

To be honest….using forums to discuss difficult/ controversial subjects is never the best method because it’s so easy to be misinterpreted.
In a forum it’s difficult to give context. You can’t read body language, tone of one’s voice etc etc.

I always try to see both sides of any arguement and am prone to a little fence sitting. I try to appreciate the nuances and not see things as simple black and white.
The problem is this style is in unfashionable. The current fashion (as seen on social media) is to have extreme polarised view points.
Our performances are never decent….they usually tend to be “brilliant…we’re going to win the league” or “worse ever…we’re getting relegated”
So just because I’m quite neutral and don’t slag off other view points… I‘ve been called racist, sexist, all the ists. My worse experiences were discussing Ched Evans on Mumsnet forum…many wanted Ched castrated…I dared to offer a slight defence to open up the debate and received abuse accusing me of being a rapist.

Learnt my lesson there ha ha…..difficult subjects should really be discussed face to face.

Chuffing eck, you're a braver man than me (gender assumption, my bad). Mumsnet is worse than the covid threads ;)

Odd that you say that. We have 2 lesbians and a gay male that work with me, all very good friends. The 2 lesbians detest the idea of Pride, the parades and stuff. Yet the gay male is a high up member on the RAF Pride committee and loves everything that is Pride.

If weatherfield county on Coronation St can play a gay black player who are we to rock the boat

It's the 21st century
If people want to be diverse let them

Lets face it sheffield s had people supporting Wednesday which is stranger than fiction

I don’t know for sure, but as an educated guess, Rainbow Blades?

They sound like a friendly bunch of Blades with something in common.

Next up we’ll be having supporters from different areas putting where they are from on a flag / scarf! Do we really need to make a song & dance about where we’re from, etc? 😉 😊

Next up we’ll be having supporters from different areas putting where they are from on a flag / scarf! Do we really need to make a song & dance about where we’re from? 😉

“Bulawayo Blades”. Me in a corner with mi flag…

He's suggesting he's not a fan of the sensory room for disabled fans or is certainly mocking it which I dunno...seems a bit of a dick move
I was unaware we had a sensory room. You are suggesting that.
I was trying (and seemingly failing) to make an amusing point about how someone will be offended at anything these days. Your post backs this up.
I genuinely apologise if I have really offended anyone and will bow out of this thread.
Peace.

Back
Top Bottom