CONFIRMED Clarke Official

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fleck is our most important signing I reckon. He's going to pull the strings and dictate the game all season for us. Clarke is a massive signing through. Sharp and Leon could be lethal together, done to come on when their defence is starting to tire....
I'd happily sells che now if the money was used to buy a winger and a partner for O'Connell

Fleck is our most important signing I reckon. He's going to pull the strings and dictate the game all season for us. Clarke is a massive signing through. Sharp and Leon could be lethal together, done to come on when their defence is starting to tire....
I'd happily sells che now if the money was used to buy a winger and a partner for O'Connell

Do we really need a partner for O'Connell though? I'd like to see Wilson given a proper go at cementing his place at CB alongside him. We do need an extra body though back there for competition

Do we really need a partner for O'Connell though? I'd like to see Wilson given a proper go at cementing his place at CB alongside him. We do need an extra body though back there for competition
I've only seen them together once, I really liked the look of O'Connell and while I've not completely wrote Wilson off, I'm not confident he will cut it.

Anyone else notice that Leon Clarke's profile on Wikipedia no longer has his picture from his Wednesday days! Good work by whoever edited that! We have to get a new one when he plays for us scoring!

I'm guessing we do because we tried to sign McFadz.

Billounton,

They might wait to see how Long performs before making the decision.

Long doesn't command his area and doesn't command his defense. However hopefully the defence might be much more commanding this season meaning Longs weaknesses won't be highlighted.

Agree though that it's a big concern area but we'll see how he copes as a unit with a totally new defence in front of him.

I am just wondering how weird it would be, if McCabe didnt sell Che ........................

Well at least two people, Wilder and Knill, would be quite disappointed because they want to sell him to fund further recruitment. I think we should be happy to go with them, on this. They are, after all, running the club; not us.

Some of these posts are amazing.

We show massive ambition (By league 1 standards) by signing Leon Clarke and people still complain.
We give him a 3 year contract otherwise he wouldn't have signed.

Look at Coventry main forum.
They are so angry that he's coming to us most of their fans wanted him back as he was a massive success there.
One of their fans is calling us the Man City of league 1 with our spending power trying to buy the league.
Another says we're dead certs for promotion
Another says we're backed by a billionaire Arab and can outbid any club in the league.
Many say he's only coming to Sheff Utd for the money as he's a mercenary and always goes highest bidder
Another says we're buying all the best league 1 players and we're nailed on for promotion.

All of them seem jealous of our board and wish they had a board like ours with the same ambition.

Also some are saying he's no good as we need to plan for the future.
However we've already planned for the future and it's got us no where so the club are now planning here and now bringing in some of the best players from last season in league 1.

It still might not work but at least we're given it a go this season.

I agree that despite his age and “journeyman” reputation, this signing is something of a statement of intent. He’s extremely proven at this level and the prospect of him and Sharp up front (when 2 years ago we had Baxter playing off Porter) is an enticing one.

3 years is longer than ideal (2 would have been my preference) but sometimes you have to be a bit flexible to get a good player in.

We’ve made 3 decent signings through the spine of the team now (O Connell, Fleck and Clarke). We could probably do with a couple more still but credit where it’s due for those 3 signings as well as Dufy (though Clarke and Duffy should have been snapped up years ago, they still represent good short term acquisitions with O Connell and Fleck looking better for the long term).

As for planning for the future, for me that would be keeping Adams and DCL as understudies and eventual successors to Sharp and Clarke. That’s the ideal way to be set up in my opinion.

Akinde has never played at this level though and isn't exactly an exciting young prospect.

How do we'd know he'd step up?

At least with Clarke he's proven at L1 level.

I agree that in a lot of ways, Akinde would be higher risk mainly because, as you say, he’s not done it at this level. That said, I think he has some really useful attributes and the goals he’s scored over the last 2 seasons suggest he might be hitting a level where he finally fulfils his potential.

I think many of our supporters (myself included) are automatically attracted to a striker who looks to have a bit of the Brian Deane’s about him (Mainly the combination of height and pace). Akinde seems to fit that profile. Then again, so does Clarke to an extent but his age means he’s only likely to get worse. That said, if he can keep his levels up for a year or 2, he could be a very handy signing.

Clarke is probably the safer signing for the coming season. Akinde would be more of an exciting but more unknown quantity.

I agree that in a lot of ways, Akinde would be higher risk mainly because, as you say, he’s not done it at this level. That said, I think he has some really useful attributes and the goals he’s scored over the last 2 seasons suggest he might be hitting a level where he finally fulfils his potential.

I think many of our supporters (myself included) are automatically attracted to a striker who looks to have a bit of the Brian Deane’s about him (Mainly the combination of height and pace). Akinde seems to fit that profile. Then again, so does Clarke to an extent but his age means he’s only likely to get worse. That said, if he can keep his levels up for a year or 2, he could be a very handy signing.

Clarke is probably the safer signing for the coming season. Akinde would be more of an exciting but more unknown quantity.
I think this season we absolutely have to play safe and give ourselves the best chance of promotion.

Once we're up we can start to take the odd gamble on up and coming players (and hope our youth team throws out one or two as well). It will be an important part of our progression and I hope our new head scout is looking at those types of players with a view to the future.

Personally, I think a good L1 player is more likely to step up to the championship (lower half, which is where we'll be initially) than a L2 player is to step up to the top of L1. And we've already got a big 'un and a little 'un who did well in L2 last season and who we need to give opportunities to.

Well at least two people, Wilder and Knill, would be quite disappointed because they want to sell him to fund further recruitment. I think we should be happy to go with them, on this. They are, after all, running the club; not us.
Well, at least two people are Multi Millionaires, maybe they fund further recruitment, and keep Che for the Future

Next year in the Championship for example

Afterall they own the Club not us

Well, at least two people are Multi Millionaires, maybe they fund further recruitment, and keep Che for the Future

True and maybe Fat Sam will lift the World Cup.

Ah, other people's money is so easy to spend, isn't it?....

"...We’ve made 3 decent signings through the spine of the team now (O Connell, Fleck and Clarke)...."

I would like a big, strong, nasty midfield player to have next to Fleck, not sure that Basham is the one, but agree that the spine of the team is coming together.

where are all those who rapidly quote how little the board will invest to get us up
this season we have a manager who seems to have a plan
compared to Adkins its night and day , in terms of team building
and the boards stomped up the money BEFORE any out goings , against perceived wisdom
how come they arent jumping on the forum with just a little bit of acknowledgement
just to break the habits of the the past few years, where they are on in a nano second if its anything remotely negative
can we hear a bit of enthusiasm for the cause

where are all those who rapidly quote how little the board will invest to get us up
this season we have a manager who seems to have a plan
compared to Adkins its night and day , in terms of team building
and the boards stomped up the money BEFORE any out goings , against perceived wisdom
how come they arent jumping on the forum with just a little bit of acknowledgement
just to break the habits of the the past few years, where they are on in a nano second if its anything remotely negative
can we hear a bit of enthusiasm for the cause

Cos we will probably sell Adams and DCL to make up for the signings

Its all investment for them, their Club, their Money

Though I think you are right as to what will happen, the same mistakes

Investment can lead to losses. Huge losses. It's not a magic bullet. Our chairman has taken plenty of SUFC losses

The club is a separate legal entity to it's major shareholders (often called owners which is almost accurate in practice if not in law)

Kevin McCabe has spent tens of millions of his private income on our football club. He will never ever recoup that spending, or anywhere near it. On the contrary, he continues to fund our club. Despite the many errors he has made, he deserves our gratitude, not abuse.

Investment can lead to losses. Huge losses. It's not a magic bullet. Our chairman has taken plenty of SUFC losses

The club is a separate legal entity to it's major shareholders (often called owners which is almost accurate in practice if not in law)

Kevin McCabe has spent tens of millions of his private income on our football club. He will never ever recoup that spending, or anywhere near it. On the contrary, he continues to fund our club. Despite the many errors he has made, he deserves our gratitude, not abuse.

A true fact which can be forgotten either due to frustration , emotions or ignorance . We have to remember that previous chairmanship individuals allegedly took more money out than they put in .

McCabe does seem to have his mojo back , and does he deserve the shit and abuse he gets - no not really .

Ok we all know the bloke has made some major mistakes and cock ups , but for us all in life , hindsight is a great thing. At least he put his money were is mouth is .

Interesting times at the Lane , and to be fair , board , staff , players , and fans do seem to have a spring back in there step .

UTB

Back
Top Bottom