Chris Sutton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sutton,being ex Celtic, reveres anyone who either played or managed at Celtic and had any kind of success, he's hardly stopped talking about how great Postecoglou and Spurs are,another one who expected them to smash us so needs to have a go from another angle because it didn't turn into the feast of Spurs 'Angeball' that never happened

Unless I have completely misunderstood things, Heckingbottom hasn't once complained about the amount of time added on, which is what the presenters here seem to be suggesting. What he has complained about is the ref's overall management of the game, and specifically how he dealt with Foderingham when he was trying to play the ball out from the back, as well as the ridiculous decision to give McBurnie a 2nd yellow. The fact that Maddison and Son to a lesser extent were in the ref's face all game without any sanction wasn't mentioned, but really could have been as yet another example of bias and inconsistency.

And as for Sutton's dig about this being pre meditated, well fuck me sideways. Heckingbottom had already said that he been chewing this over all match, and we know he has been unsatisfied with refereeing decisions in previous games. Would Sutton have prefered Heckingbottom to go on an unstructured rant, call the ref a c**t, smash the microphone and storm out? Maybe he would. God forbid that a manager presents specific examples of where a ref has got it wrong, so that journalists and other referees can examine those specific points and draw conclusions. The first rule of giving performance based feedback is to make it specific, with examples of exactly where something has been done well, or not. The emotion did creep in a bit with his general appraisal that refs do not know the game, but can anyone really argue with that? It's long overdue that was said in my opinion, and by more managers too.

To the final point that Heckingbottom is blaming the wrong people, well I am sure that he has made his feelings crystal clear to Bettis and the Prince about our lack of preparation and support from above this season, but we have seen before what happens when a manager starts to openly criticise boards and owners. It's not going to happen. And yes we made mistakes in the game, but that doesn't nullify the criticisms aimed at the officiating, which so far this season, as it was last, has just been wholly unsatisfactory.
Well said, and thanks for bringing the conversation back to what Heckingbottom actually said - something that many of the professional pundits seem to find difficult.
We’ve seen some very poor refereeing already in several of our matches this season. I actually have no problem with the current Refs initiative of properly implementing existing rules on time wasting etc, but they seem to have collectively forgotten how to make sensible in-the-moment judgements on the art of enabling a football match to flow freely but fairly. Unlike most (apparently) I don’t personally think they seek to be biased, they are just generally inept. Heckingbottom is absolutely right in his assertion that many of them don’t understand the game, having never experienced it from the perspective of a player. It’s not a new situation, but it’s very disappointing that it still persists - it’s not a hard problem to address by proper involvement of ex-players in referee training. Undermining the authority of the refs through VAR doesn’t help either - they seem to be slipping into a mindset that technology will come to their aid in sorting out important decisions - simply not true, as per McBurnie’s second booking.
Given the amount of money spent in the PL it is extraordinary that we all put up with these standards of officiating, and Heckingbottom is absolutely right to call it out, given the deafening silence of the professional pundits on the topic.

We were obviously time wasting and anyone trying to say we weren't is kidding themselves. We think we are smart with the Wes going down injured trick but it's now being truly added on at the end.
Foderingham's frequent need for treatment isn't a timewasting exercise, it's effectively a timeout which allows Heckingbottom to get a tactical tweak across to the players.

We deffo time wasted significantly but I had to smile wryly at the fat cunt on TS making out Maddison was frustrated with it and taking the piss.

Isn't it ironic don't you think.

#takeyourtime

Is it? I think it’s more or less on point
PH set us up well but we really pushed the time wasting to the limit - it was close to embarrassing at times and with the new rules and clamp down you knew it was going to backfire
So time wasting was pushed to the limit, but in your words it wasn't over done which should incur no reprimand.
I would suggest you suspected the tactics would go amiss, because as a Blade you know they are never the bride, and even slightly hoped they would.
Sorry you were embarrassed, you quite possibly will be embarrassed many times this season.
Truth is, United came up against a far superior team and with a little skill and running rules to the bone, almost got a point and for some time it looked like maybe three.
Playing "conventionally" United could have gone down five or six nil, like other have. :(

Simon Jordan had a dig at how hecky kicked off on Saturday and praised how eloquent kompany was last night and that he wouldn't discuss the disallowed goal

Unless I have completely misunderstood things, Heckingbottom hasn't once complained about the amount of time added on, which is what the presenters here seem to be suggesting. What he has complained about is the ref's overall management of the game, and specifically how he dealt with Foderingham when he was trying to play the ball out from the back, as well as the ridiculous decision to give McBurnie a 2nd yellow. The fact that Maddison and Son to a lesser extent were in the ref's face all game without any sanction wasn't mentioned, but really could have been as yet another example of bias and inconsistency.

And as for Sutton's dig about this being pre meditated, well fuck me sideways. Heckingbottom had already said that he been chewing this over all match, and we know he has been unsatisfied with refereeing decisions in previous games. Would Sutton have prefered Heckingbottom to go on an unstructured rant, call the ref a c**t, smash the microphone and storm out? Maybe he would. God forbid that a manager presents specific examples of where a ref has got it wrong, so that journalists and other referees can examine those specific points and draw conclusions. The first rule of giving performance based feedback is to make it specific, with examples of exactly where something has been done well, or not. The emotion did creep in a bit with his general appraisal that refs do not know the game, but can anyone really argue with that? It's long overdue that was said in my opinion, and by more managers too.

To the final point that Heckingbottom is blaming the wrong people, well I am sure that he has made his feelings crystal clear to Bettis and the Prince about our lack of preparation and support from above this season, but we have seen before what happens when a manager starts to openly criticise boards and owners. It's not going to happen. And yes we made mistakes in the game, but that doesn't nullify the criticisms aimed at the officiating, which so far this season, as it was last, has just been wholly unsatisfactory.
Really good post mate.

I haven't got a problem with time being added on for time wasting, but I think the problem is, as usual, there's no consistency.
No doubt I'll be looking at it through the red and white tinted specs, but it has felt like those inconsistencies are consistently going against us.

I don't really care if they are positive or not to be honest, I just want them to to be fair and to actually appreciate the details involved.

As I said above, I may have got this completely wrong, but their analysis of PH's comments seems to be based on an assumption that he is complaining about the added on time and blaming the ref for the result, which I didn't hear. Would he have done the same had we won or drawn, hard to say and Sutton was right to make that point, but to put this down as a petulant rant by a bitter manager, was disingenuous in my opinion. If anything PH seemed most aggrieved about the McB sending off, which he absolutely should be.

Sutton was also right about why we lost the game at the end.
Fair. It was a bit petulant though, regardless of tone

Simon Jordan had a dig at how hecky kicked off on Saturday and praised how eloquent kompany was last night and that he wouldn't discuss the disallowed goal

Because they want teams to come up, get beat and shut up. Burnley are doing that at the moment. They're getting beat in what's seen as the right way by trying to play football and getting battered without complaining. That's what the broadcasters and big clubs want. We're just scenery for the top clubs. We have to be there for the Premier League to work but we're not worth talking about or researching

Jordan should also have pointed out that Kompany hasn't been a manager for very long, so hasn't had anything like the number of swift kicks to the managerial nutsack that Hecky and other managers have.

Don't worry, give him another couple of seasons of these idiots ruining his afternoons/evenings, and he'll be ranting with the best of em.

Last edited:
We really shouldn’t care what the likes of Sutton and Jordan say. They have their own agenda: Sutton as some sort of disruptor “telling it like it is”, Jordan cementing his position as the stupid person’s idea of an intelligent person.

Whether we deserve credit or not, we won’t get it. And there will be no acknowledgment of the difficult job teams like us face playing these financial behemoths. Might as well grin and bear it.

Has anyone else worked it out yet?
These 'pundits' make comments only for money.
606 has become a Pantomime Phone-In, the EPL will
soon become, if not already, the football equivalent
of WWE. Once established, United will soon be moving up
the bill. At the moment, be content with just being
mentioned, regardless of positive/negative reactions.

Sutton,being ex Celtic, reveres anyone who either played or managed at Celtic and had any kind of success, he's hardly stopped talking about how great Postecoglou and Spurs are,another one who expected them to smash us so needs to have a go from another angle because it didn't turn into the feast of Spurs 'Angeball' that never happened
What pundits like Sutton and co fail to realise that when clubs like ours come up against teams who have paid £squillions,time wasting is probably the only way to go but last season it was o.k. ,this season we'll probably pay the price as happened against Spurs.

Don't know why anyone cares. I wish more pundits hated us - it's way more fun being pantomime villains rather than polite losers.

Because they want teams to come up, get beat and shut up. Burnley are doing that at the moment. They're getting beat in what's seen as the right way by trying to play football and getting battered without complaining. That's what the broadcasters and big clubs want. We're just scenery for the top clubs. We have to be there for the Premier League to work but we're not worth talking about or researching
If anything things are getting worse. Pundits seem to know less and less about us in each successive PL spell. If they think you will go straight back down, they don’t want to know.

If anything things are getting worse. Pundits seem to know less and less about us in each successive PL spell. If they think you will go straight back down, they don’t want to know.

I really don't expect them to do loads of analysis on us. We've got 1 point from 5. There's not much to go at for them. We were heavily praised in Wilders first season so they don't have an agenda or anything. We just aren't doing anything to warrant any discussion. I can accept that.

I do expect them to have a basic idea though. I don't think Keown should be saying everything we do goes through "Norgard". I don't think Sutton and Jordan should be talking about an interview they've clearly not heard. I don't think The Totally Football podcast should be saying we're definitely going down because we looked poor against Palace. I don't think Talksport should have a random DJ who happens to be a Spurs fan ranting about how we play with no balance.

People moan about them not mentioning us but I'd much rather that than what we get. I'd rather they just say "I don't know much about Sheffield United"

Sutton such an arrogant twat, dismissed The Blades as cannon fodder. Who should not be in the premier league?. I suggest open you your eyes silly cunt. We are not getting pasted every week like he hopes for. we gave Man City Spurs a game and were very unlucky not to pick up points. we are getting fitter and better game by game.

I really don't expect them to do loads of analysis on us. We've got 1 point from 5. There's not much to go at for them. We were heavily praised in Wilders first season so they don't have an agenda or anything. We just aren't doing anything to warrant any discussion. I can accept that.

I do expect them to have a basic idea though. I don't think Keown should be saying everything we do goes through "Norgard". I don't think Sutton and Jordan should be talking about an interview they've clearly not heard. I don't think The Totally Football podcast should be saying we're definitely going down because we looked poor against Palace. I don't think Talksport should have a random DJ who happens to be a Spurs fan ranting about how we play with no balance.

People moan about them not mentioning us but I'd much rather that than what we get. I'd rather they just say "I don't know much about Sheffield United"
The only well informed piece I have read about us was John Ashdown’s guardian pre-season preview, and that doesn’t count as he’s a Blade.

On Monday Night Club on 5Live Chris Sutton thinks the Blades​

'Could go down another league' - Chris Sutton tears into Sheffield United over Chris Wilder exit​

Sheffield United could plummet down the leagues if they do not get their next appointment right following Chris Wilder's departure, according to BBC Radio 5Live pundit Chris Sutton
Chris Sutton believes Sheffield United are in danger of a second successive relegation following the departure of Chris Wilder.

The Blades' woeful performance in their 5-0 drubbing at Leicester City was scrutinised in detail by the BBC Radio 5Live team on the Monday Night Club show and the decision made by owner Prince Abdullah to remove Wilder was at the heart of the debate.
See how good at punditry he really is?

Listened to James Richardson's podcast this week. It's from The Athletic so the idea should be that because you pay for it, you get better researched content. It's the same old bollocks though. Heckingbottom's comments were dismissed as "real football man bullshit" and they said we could have no complaints over McBurnie's second yellow as it was clearly (and rightly) for a foul, not anything he said.

Lazy at best.

We really need to stop caring what Sutton thinks, he bored me to sleep with his after dinner speach, I'm not picking on him, I actually fell asleep..

He's a boring fucker, looks boring, dresses boring, is boring.

Edit: his missus is probably bored by him too.. And the kids.

Edit 2 : the dog doesn't run to the door when he gets home, he's that boring.

We really need to stop caring what Sutton thinks, he bored me to sleep with his after dinner speach, I'm not picking on him, I actually fell asleep..

He's a boring fucker, looks boring, dresses boring, is boring.

Edit: his missus is probably bored by him too.. And the kids.

Edit 2 : the dog doesn't run to the door when he gets home, he's that boring.
Sutton: the bellend's bellend. And everyone knows it.
The less succesful half of the strike force that also included another incredibly boring person

Sutton: the bellend's bellend. And everyone knows it.
The less succesful half of the strike force that also included another incredibly boring person

Can you imagine the away trips rooming together, looking at used car prices in the auto trader all night...

Or the argos cataloge...

Back
Top Bottom