Ched Evans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He is twenty years old he looks alright when he has got the ball, problem is we dont really get many decent passes off to him.

Let's not let Carney get away with the tactics as an excuse. Far too lightweight for the championship, as evidenced by the distinct lack of English clubs in the queue for him. And on that note, Hendrie was responsible for fucking up every chance he had.

Carney was shit, thats why he went. Hendrie, I'm sorry when did he get all these chances you mention? Waste of a good footballer and probably sums up for me why our midfield is a waste of time. We don't play through it so why bother having one?

Is there only me who looks at the line of midfielders we have had who were the next big hope and they turn out to be shite. Perhaps its not the players who are shite here.

That said, it's been a problem for years hasn't it? Post Brown who have we had that has made a positive mark as a ball player? Tonge got worse the more he went on, Howard just never looked like he was going to fulfil the role and Hendrie never got a shot at it. Monty is ever present because he does what the manager wants his central midfielders to do, scrap. No more, no less. He isn't a good footballer but he is a good team player.

Carney was shit, thats why he went. Hendrie, I'm sorry when did he get all these chances you mention? Waste of a good footballer and probably sums up for me why our midfield is a waste of time. We don't play through it so why bother having one?

Is there only me who looks at the line of midfielders we have had who were the next big hope and they turn out to be shite. Perhaps its not the players who are shite here.

That said, it's been a problem for years hasn't it? Post Brown who have we had that has made a positive mark as a ball player? Tonge got worse the more he went on, Howard just never looked like he was going to fulfil the role and Hendrie never got a shot at it. Monty is ever present because he does what the manager wants his central midfielders to do, scrap. No more, no less. He isn't a good footballer but he is a good team player.

Couldn't agree more. As I've said in another post, I think Harper and Howard would make a decent midfield, or even Harper and Tonge. Harper can play the defensive midfield role well, as we've seen at Reading, without being restricted to this when we actually have the ball.

Couldn't agree more. As I've said in another post, I think Harper and Howard would make a decent midfield, or even Harper and Tonge. Harper can play the defensive midfield role well, as we've seen at Reading, without being restricted to this when we actually have the ball.
Hmmm, Harper did it at Reading when he was surrounded by very good players. Not so much recently.

Yeah Harper doesn't really seem to be pulling his weight. We were all looking forward to seeing this box to box player that really shone at Reading. Yes he did have Sidwell at his side, but still he looked a class act. So far he seems to be doing neither putting his foot in and breaking up attacks or doing these pulsating runs into the box. It's all good and well saying that Harper is lacking in match fitness, but when is he going to start performing? It's been 6 full games now and he hasn't really shown that much. This maybe a little harsh on him, as he is always looking for the ball, tries to open up space etc, but the ball often just flies over his head. Still regardless of this he has looked lethargic when it has come to defensive duties.

Monty's injury could be a blessing in disguise. I like Monty and his work rate, but of late he has made a few costly errors. Additionally there seemed to be confusion about Harpers role. Whether it's due to his lack of fitness, playing style or instructions he seems to be sitting back. I guess the major issue is who will partner Harper in the middle on Saturday and next Tuesday. We all know it will be Stephen Quinn, but will he play 4-5-1 (4-3-3_ and stick another CM in. Who? Many are calling for France. Or will KB have the balls to play 4-4-2 away from home?

When is Williamson fit? Numpty Blackwell must be considering Harper and him as a good footballing partnership. But of course we have to wait for Williamson to get match fit ...... :rolleyes:

My mates lives in Thatcham close to Reading. I went over to visit hi the other week and every single Reading fan I spoke to was gutted that they have lost Harper. They all rambled on about what a player he is and how he'll come good. I hope they are right. If he doesn't start performing then we are really going to have to start asking questions about tactics, instructuions, training, motivation and man management skills.

I think you might be right Ollesendro. His could be just another name added to the list of proven players who haven't performed for Blackwell. It's only a matter of time before you stop looking at the players and start looking for the common denominator.

There is so much conjecture as to who will come in for Monty, what formation will we play - Blackwell appears to be clueless as to tactics
What I would advocate is to give Harper and Quinn central roles with Cotterill/Little and Treacey wide in a 4-4-2 system My choice would be Evans and Ward up front will Henderson on the bench for a change in tactics (ie Hoofball) later in the game if required!

Can't argue with that Fiery. Maybe a little harsh on Henderson as he has been one of the better players lately.

Before you come back and say Hendo means hoofball then hold on a sec. Eve without him we still tried to play hoofball last season (Wednesday at home with Webber and Lupoli upfront stands out). Plus if we actually get the tactics right (i.e. getting the ball down, out to the wings etc) then Henderson can be very dangerosu from crosses. Also, agian if tactics are right then Evans may start taking a chance and playing off Henderson, rather than just coming deep all the time because he's pissed off at the lack of service.

Is Ward fit yet?

Could be a good shout - Whilst not Henderson's greatest fan I will admit he has some qualities Running off the ball and striking are not two of his attributes but he does certainly hold the ball up well and a thorn in every defence by his power and strength.
Is there room for both Evans and Henderson in the side - don't think so!
We also have to have Wards pace - it is noticable that it was missing against both Ipswich and Donny!

The lad deserves a full season at least - he's going to develop as a player (that is unless the fans turn on him and grind any confidence out of him).

Any examples of such?

If you mean examples of the "fans turning on him and grinding the confidence out of him" - try Stafford Blades first two postings on this thread for starters.

"Why the hell have we wasted 3 million on this useless chuff? He's lazy, wins sod all in the air and doesn't make any runs. An absolute masterstroke from Blackwell"

and

"welsh and useless. simples."

Sure there are plenty of others too :(

Take your pick.

Examples of players "crushed" by supporters or Ched Evans in particular.

Don't see it myself. Would have thought his confidence (and certainly Cotterills) is far more damaged by not being first team regulars than anything supporters lob their way.

Paul Ifill - Bought with real cash (approx £1M if i remember rightly) started off well enough but with the kind of money that we spent on him some of our supporters expected Ronaldo and imo unfairly expected too much. Every misplaced pass or miscontrol was met with groans and by the end of his time here he was almost petrified to recieve the ball.

Rob Kosluk - Another fans "favourite" well favourite for the boo boys, got gradually worse abuse from a section of the support that ended up with him going on loan to another club for a while, came back a different player and more able to cope with the occasion taunting.

A couple of examples of players that were affected in my opinion by fans opinions (opinions shared not on football forums but vocally during matches).

I am sure there will be a few that disagree and just say "The were shit - Period" but forums are all about opinons.

He actually is injured now, apparently.

On the upside, Williamson, Geary and Naysmith have resumed light training.

He actually is injured now, apparently.

On the upside, Williamson, Geary and Naysmith have resumed light training.
Both Naysmith and Geary looking very spritely recently - better than their low-impact bike-rides around the car park not so long back. That worried me.

I don't know either lad - but I know that when I was in my early twenties I couldn't have kept my (just) post adolescent confidence in tact if I felt 30,000 people thought I was crap - especially if much of my self image was built around football. (I had a similar - though much smaller scale experience around athletics :()

I'm sure not featuring in the bosses first choice doesn't help either - but remember how young many of our players are - some are still too young to vote or to watch scarey movies!!! - and it would be remarkable (if not un-natural) if the fans opinions didn't effect these lads. Feeling that a stadium full of (knowledgable?) fans think they are a "useless chuff" or "lazy" would certainly wreck all but the most arrogant of young people's confidences.

Aye, I've heard lots of worrying stuff about Geary recently too, arthritis of the knee and the like. All three of them should be first team material if they get to full fitness I reckon.

Paul Ifill - Bought with real cash (approx £1M if i remember rightly) started off well enough but with the kind of money that we spent on him some of our supporters expected Ronaldo and imo unfairly expected too much. Every misplaced pass or miscontrol was met with groans and by the end of his time here he was almost petrified to recieve the ball.

Paul Ifill was truly, truly awful. I must admit I did wince for him when he miss hit a pass or mis controlled the ball. He came up with a few goals, but other than that he was rubbsih. He looked more like a lower league player than a 1 million pound signing. I feel for players who get booed, but (quite rightly) the fans ran out of patience with him.

Paul Ifill was truly, truly awful. I must admit I did wince for him when he miss hit a pass or mis controlled the ball. He came up with a few goals, but other than that he was rubbsih. He looked more like a lower league player than a 1 million pound signing. I feel for players who get booed, but (quite rightly) the fans ran out of patience with him.

Paul Ifill came with a big reputation and rightly so.
If you look at the stats - these will show 8 goals (if I remember rightly) and quite a lot of assists. These contributed greatly (IMO) to us being promoted.

However, there were occasions when he was frustrating. Some of his decision making/touches were truly baffling.

However I think he was a decent servant for us. He was also one of a few people willing to truly just go at defenders (even if most of the time it was unsuccesful)

I think he was harshly booed by a lot of fans.

If you look at the stats - these will show 8 goals (if I remember rightly) and quite a lot of assists. These contributed greatly (IMO) to us being promoted.

However, there were occasions when he was frustrating. Some of his decision making/touches were truly baffling.

However I think he was a decent servant for us. He was also one of a few people willing to truly just go at defenders (even if most of the time it was unsuccesful)

I agree, Ifill and Quinny Snr were responsible for plenty of goals and assists in the 1st third of the season which basically set us up for promotion that year. Ifill was infuriating but was always capable of doing something different and as infuriating as he was to watch, it made it difficult for the defender to 2nd guess what he was doing !

He got some crucial goals that season and for me, despite the injuries, was more hit than miss.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere:

LINK

Sky Sports said:

Blackwell laments Evans injury

Sheffield United boss Kevin Blackwell concedes he could enter the loan market following injury to Ched Evans.

The Blades are down to the bare bones at Bramall Lane
spacer.gif
as Blackwell
spacer.gif
has had to contend with numerous injuries.

Blackwell has already made six loan signings to patch up his threadbare squad and had hoped that would be enough to see him through a tough period.

However, it has now emerged that £3million summer signing Evans
spacer.gif
has damaged ligaments while away on international duty with Wales U21s.

"I'm going to have to see what the situation is," Blackwell told The Star.

"Ched has come back here to undergo his rehabilitation. He's working with us but didn't train with the rest of the boys yesterday.

"It's too early to say exactly what is the extent of the problem at the moment.

"If there is no chance of any of the lads being back then I'm going to have to try to bring somebody in because we'll be down to our last 13.

"Thursday is going to be important - that will be when we decide - because we should have a better idea by then.

"It's getting ridiculous really but there isn't anything we can do. It's just down to bad luck.

"We'll know more later in the week. Until then we'll just have to try and get those who might have a chance ready."

I agree, Ifill and Quinny Snr were responsible for plenty of goals and assists in the 1st third of the season which basically set us up for promotion that year. Ifill was infuriating but was always capable of doing something different and as infuriating as he was to watch, it made it difficult for the defender to 2nd guess what he was doing !

He got some crucial goals that season and for me, despite the injuries, was more hit than miss.

His first game for us was brilliant. Scored 1 and assisted 2 in a 4-1 win over Leicester.

And of his 9 goals that season, 4 came in games where we won by 1 goal.

It doesn't matter about the Evans injury, our next game is away and only Hendo plays up front for them games.

I thought he was truly dire. But I guess Mousey' point says that he added something during that season. For me he just did enough to stay on the verges of the team. He looked lacking in confidence, poor touch, bad judegment poor passer, headless chicken, disapperaing for long periods during the match ......... but he did have a knack of sticking the ball in the net. I must give him credit for getting himself into goalscoring positions, but that really is the only thing he added. The rest of his game was poor at best. As for taking on defenders, are you joking Robbie? I can't remember him ever skinnign anyone. He never looked confident enough to take someone on.

It was mightily frustrating watching him because we all thought he could come up with the goods. Like I said he just did enough. He looked like a lower league player, out of his dpeth and lacking in confidence for 89 minutes, but then he'd pop up and score. Robbie you're probably right that it was harsh for him to be booed, but how else do fans show that they are frustrated?

I must give him credit for getting himself into goalscoring positions, but that really is the only thing he added.

First, I don't have the info to hand, but I'm pretty confident that if you check the list of assists for that year Ifill comes pretty high up, for what it's worth.

(And as an aside, I'm always amused by comments like "all he does is score goals" which make it sound like this isn't a very important skill and anyone can do it. I swear, if the internet had existed 25 years ago, there'd be a sizeable minority wanting Keith Edwards to be dropped because "all he does is score goals").

I must give him credit for getting himself into goalscoring positions, but that really is the only thing he added.

First, I don't have the info to hand, but I'm pretty confident that if you check the list of assists for that year Ifill comes pretty high up, for what it's worth.

(And as an aside, I'm always amused by comments like "all he does is score goals" which make it sound like this isn't a very important skill and anyone can do it. I swear, if the internet had existed 25 years ago, there'd be a sizeable minority wanting Keith Edwards to be dropped because "all he does is score goals").

Your right here Rev. He had the top assists rate in our promotion season of any player in our team. He was frustrating, he didn't skin as many players as I would have liked him to and he did go missing when things weren't going his way. Remind you of any of our current crop? Thats what happens with wingers. Problem is our fans want someone who is good down the line, good in the air, 6'6" can kick seven bells out of the opposition, hold the ball up, pass it, cross it, get on the end of it and be able to score from 35 yards. Then can defend and head off the line. Oh and is a team player.

Knock Ifill all you want but please make sure you get your facts something like straight first.

(And as an aside, I'm always amused by comments like "all he does is score goals" which make it sound like this isn't a very important skill and anyone can do it. I swear, if the internet had existed 25 years ago, there'd be a sizeable minority wanting Keith Edwards to be dropped because "all he does is score goals").[/QUOTE]

Firstly, he had 5 assists that season. Do you constitue that to be a lot? 5 assists in 32 games?? For a midfielder/winger (who cost 1 million) then I don't see that as being very high.

Secondly (in Italics) is just a ridiculous statement. We are talking about a midfield player who could not control the ball. A winger who could not pass to players in his own team. He looked completely out of his depth.

I will give him credit for scoring 9 goals that season though. His record amounts to almost a goal every 3 games. That is good and if you look simply at the stats then he did well. However we all know there is more to it than that. Revolution, did Keith Edwards disappear for almost all the games, pass shockingly, use poor judgement and look generally pretty poor ........ but pop up with a few crucial goals (in the Second division)??

I'd hazard a guess he was top.

As for taking on defenders, are you joking Robbie?

He did take them on occasionally.
But what I actually said was 'He was also one of a few people willing to truly just go at defenders (even if most of the time it was unsuccesful)'..... not that he always did it.

Robbie you're probably right that it was harsh for him to be booed, but how else do fans show that they are frustrated?

I think with this type of player, some people are always going to be frustrated - ala Cotts. But I don't think he warranted any booing as he was trying to do something when others weren't

Your right here Rev. He had the top assists rate in our promotion season of any player in our team. He was frustrating, he didn't skin as many players as I would have liked him to and he did go missing when things weren't going his way. Remind you of any of our current crop? Thats what happens with wingers. Problem is our fans want someone who is good down the line, good in the air, 6'6" can kick seven bells out of the opposition, hold the ball up, pass it, cross it, get on the end of it and be able to score from 35 yards. Then can defend and head off the line. Oh and is a team player.

Knock Ifill all you want but please make sure you get your facts something like straight first.

Ahem, could you tell me where my facts are wrong please Bladesway???

Yes, I have knocked Ifill. I have offered the opinion that he was poor. I have acknowledged that he scored a few goals but thought he was completely out of his depth. All of what I have stated has been my opinion. If you actually look at my second post you'll see 'in my opinion', 'for me', 'I think', 'he looked'. Ok, in the first post I stated that Ifill was truly awful, but of course this is just my humble opinion.

Telling some to check the facts when they are stating their opinion is a little patronising do you not think Bladesway?

Back
Top Bottom