** CHANGE.ORG PETITION PLEASE SIGN **

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I just can’t see the point of a replay in the current circumstances.
As others have said, we went to Villa, played poorly, were arguably the 2nd best side yet got a point & a clean sheet.
It’d be just Utd’s luck to lose the replay, pick up a couple of bad injuries & lose the respect we’ve spent the last 3 years earning.

I'm sure they didn't care. In the same way the world won't care and hammer us for appealing/petitioning for a replay.

I can tell you how the world viewed Ireland after the famous 2009 qualifier vs. France. With great sympathy, and it ironically was the catalyst for VAR's introduction.

Ireland fans were mostly behind having a replay and they were most vocal about it, yet they remain one of the most loved set of fans in the world.

SO LEEDS FANS. IF IT HAPPENS TO YOU, JUST LEAVE IT. EVERYBODY HATES YOU AND THATS WHAT COUNTS.

It's a similar situation to when the man upstairs was creating creatures great and small.
Any irregularities (bollox dropped), he put to one side. Australia.
Just look upon the Mighty Blades as football's Australia.
There now. Do we all feel better ?
I do !

You bring up Ireland. Okay, no, they weren't humiliated by kicking up a stink afterwards. No one had expected them to stand much chance against France, everyone expected them to get steamrolled. As it turns out, they put up a gutsy performance and in the end the only way the mighty France could win was by cheating. People jumped in to support plucky lil Ireland because it was a great way to take the piss out of france.

That's not the situation we find ourselves in. If anything we were the favourites on wednesday and didn't live up to expectations. Relatively speaking, we're a highflying prem club that to most objective eyes were second best on the night and you're proposing we throw a tantrum and demand a replay in ridiculously favourable conditions and not expect to be laughed out of the room?

High flying premierleague club demands to be given 48 minute replay with a 1 nil lead against a team in the relegation zone. How do you think that looks?

Remind me, did Ireland get that replay?

You bring up Ireland. Okay, no, they weren't humiliated by kicking up a stink afterwards. No one had expected them to stand much chance against France, everyone expected them to get steamrolled. As it turns out, they put up a gutsy performance and in the end the only way the mighty France could win was by cheating. People jumped in to support plucky lil Ireland because it was a great way to take the piss out of france.

That's not the situation we find ourselves in. If anything we were the favourites on wednesday and didn't live up to expectations. Relatively speaking, we're a highflying prem club that to most objective eyes were second best on the night and you're proposing we throw a tantrum and demand a replay in ridiculously favourable conditions and not expect to be laughed out of the room?

High flying premierleague club demands to be given 48 minute replay with a 1 nil lead against a team in the relegation zone. How do you think that looks?

Remind me, did Ireland get that replay?

No one had expected Sheffield United to stand a chance of making the Champions League upon their return to the top flight, everyone expected them to get steamrolled. As it turns out, they up several gutsy performances and in the end potentially the only way the might Manchester United/Tottenham Hotspur etc could get in was by a technical error. People would jump in to support plucky lil Sheffield United because it was a great way to take the piss out of manchester united.

This is the situation we find ourselves in. We were not favourites on wednesday and lived up to expectations. Relatively speaking, we're a club punching above our weight and were up against a bigger team with a far bigger budget.

I don't care how it looks and I don't see why we should.

I'll remind you, Ireland did get compensation, millions of pounds actually.

Uzbekistan did get a replay.

SO LEEDS FANS. IF IT HAPPENS TO YOU, JUST LEAVE IT. EVERYBODY HATES YOU AND THATS WHAT COUNTS.

I'M SURE LEEDS FANS GO TO BED AT NIGHT CRYING THINKING 'WHY DOESN'T ANYONE LIKE US? I WISH WE COULD GIVE BACK REVIE'S TROPHIES'

Oh dear. Replaying the game? Do we want to always be the victims or do we move forward despite the issues we’ve had to deal with

Wednesday used to be a big club. We know because they tell us.

We’ll move forward because we’re defiant, keep battling and fighting, not because we petition every time we’ve been wronged.

[QUOTE="mcbladeface, post: 2634678, member:

It's like going into the bookies, ripping off your trousers and pissing yourself in order to get back the 50p stake you lost.
[/QUOTE]
They banned me for that.

Defend 1-0 for nearly 50 minutes? Last time I was at Villa Park we couldn’t defend 3-0 for 10 minutes. I’ll take the draw.

And one of those those goals Sharp kicked out of the keepers hands. So it should have been 3-2 to us. In the interest of fairness you owe us a goal so we'll give you the goal from Wednesday but you have to now give it back. S'only fair.

I'm sure they didn't care. In the same way the world won't care and hammer us for appealing/petitioning for a replay.

I can tell you how the world viewed Ireland after the famous 2009 qualifier vs. France. With great sympathy, and it ironically was the catalyst for VAR's introduction.

Ireland fans were mostly behind having a replay and they were most vocal about it, yet they remain one of the most loved set of fans in the world.

In all honesty you won't be 'hammered' by anyone, more embarrassed. The football family was square behind you after the West Ham debacle but this? You're having one of your best seasons ever, and do you want the memory of you and this season being that you couldn't accept a wrong decision and are the type of fans that want petitions and replays when things don't go your way? Yes, you may not care what other fans think now, but you're not always going to be riding this crest of a wave and at some point the football worlds will realign. What reputation do you want to have?

We have a reputation as being arrogant (Villa). I wouldn't call us arrogant but full of self-confidence - loads in the Championship hated us for it, as do loads in the Prem. All our neighbours hate us for it. But many of our 'haters' also secretly think, 'they have a point'. But that's our cross to bear and we're happy living with it.

The niche your club have been making this season, and the name of your club shouldn't be associated with frivolous acts like this. This is throwing your dummy out of the pram and no matter how hard done you have been, this is frankly embarrassing yourself. Suck it up and move on. You've got bigger fish to fry this season. If you finished 4th or 5th this season, and were told you could put your petition in you'd not bother. This is short-termism because you're angry. You've got to let it go. Its football and we all can count plenty of times decisions have gone against us - and I accept that you may have had more than your fair share this season - but petitions to ask for a game to be replayed after a goal wasn't given? Christ.

Last edited:
So if we were offered a replay you would turn it down?

And if they said you can play it at the end of the season and you're 5th/6th level on points with the team in 6th/7th based on that 0-0, would you still want the replay? Knowing that a loss would take you out of europe? Especially if we also knew 3 points would keep us up?

In all honesty you won't be 'hammered' by anyone, more embarrassed. The football family was square behind you after the West Ham debacle but this? You're having one of your best seasons ever, and do you want the memory of you and this season being that you couldn't accept a wrong decision and are the type of fans that want petitions and replays when things don't go your way? Yes, you may not care what other fans think now, but you're not always going to be riding this crest of a wave and at some point the football worlds will realign. What reputation do you want to have?

We have a reputation as being arrogant (Villa). I wouldn't call us arrogant but full of self-confidence - loads in the Championship hated us for it, as do loads in the Prem. All our neighbours hate us for it. But many of our 'haters' also secretly think, 'they have a point'. But that's our cross to bear and we're happy living with it.

The niche your club have making this season, and the name of our club shouldn't be associated with frivolous acts like this. This is throwing your dummy out of the pram and no matter how hard done you have been, this is frankly embarrassing yourself. Suck it up and move on. You've got bigger fish to fry this season. If you finished 4th or 5th this season, and were told you could put your petition in you'd not bother. This is short-termism because you're angry. You've got to let it go. Its football and we all can count plenty of times decisions have gone against us - and I accept that you may have had more than your fair share this season - but petitions to ask for a game to be replayed after a goal wasn't given? Christ.
I tend to agree with that other than to say my fantastic football club will never embarrass me and I’d defend them to the hilt if any fan from another club slagged us off.

We have a kind of siege mentality where we can criticise them but nobody else can. That could be the same at a lot of clubs but can only comment on ours.

I mentioned on another thread, I’d stop short personally of any petition but definitely expect some answers to what are quite reasonable questions being posed, was Hawkeye switched on or not ? where are the camara pictures? why did it signal a goal 5 minutes later in the dressing room? why didn’t oliver award the goal at that point? why didn’t VAR correct a clear and obvious mistake by the official? why didn’t villa allow us to walk a goal in when it was confirmed.

All legitimate points and all that we’ve heard so far is a half arsed apology and some blubber about a 1/9000 scenario

Why didn't Villa allow you to walk in a goal is where you're getting into muddy territory. Should Wilder have allowed us to walk in a goal when Sharp kicked the ball out of our keepers hands last season? in the League cup final Man City scored a goal from a corner which was awarded after it had gone behind off their player, could we have asked for that goal back? Lansbury had a goal chalked off at palace this season that would have made it 1-1 because the ref blew the whistle before he scored meaning VAR couldn't get involved (blew as he shot) he was widely lambasted for getting it wrong - so should Palace have given that back? There are many many examples of getting the wrong end of the rub of the green but as a football fan saying that a goal should be walked in because of it is nonsensical.

As for all of the other questions you ask; you know as Freud said, sometimes a banana is just a banana. You're looking for blame and retribution. Maybe the only correct answer is the one hawkeye gave. Maybe they are being truthful and there is not one shed of evidence to prove otherwise. I'm not saying it is true but sometimes we can look to deep into conspiracies. Take the ref's watch thing - has that actually been proven to have happened?

This is the first time the goal line technology hasn't worked and unfortunately for you, it happened to you. We were the lucky ones but every football fan will be looking at this and thinking more or less the same. That it was wrong, unfair, but who'd have thought it? and wow, technology isn't fool proof.

You're not being picked on anymore than Ipswich weren't 15 or so years ago when they finished 5th in the first year back in the Prem. Football has plenty of examples of sides coming up and doing very well in their first year, some even stay a bit longer than that some don't. But no-one is out to get you and there's no conspiracy around you.

Last edited:
Comparing our incident to Sharps 2nd goal against you is an extremely poor comparison. You could ask 100 neutral people whether sharp kicked the ball out of the goalkeepers hands and I bet you wouldn’t get 100 people saying yes he did. Even to this day that’s a 50/50 call.

If you asked the same 100 people whether that was a goal the other night it would unanimously be yes it was and Hawkeye, the officials, the fa and everyone else and their grandmas have said it was a goal.

I’m not looking for blame or retribution, what I did say is that our club deserves proper answers.

Taking away your villa biased can you honestly say with a straight face that what Hawkeye have said is truthful?

They said that none of the 7 cameras could pick up a suitable view to show the ball crossed the line, we say show us the proof of that and we might give you the benefit of doubt but they haven’t.

The commentator said that Oliver’s watch showed a goal at half time. Personally I’ve no idea if it did or didn’t as I wasnt in the dressing room but it would be an odd thing for the commentator to say if this wasn’t the case.

Why not simply ask Oliver what happened but we all know that won’t happen

Last edited:
My point about Sharp's goal is that you having a goal going in because of an incorrect decision is the thin end of the wedge which would lead to more contentious decisions.

As for hawkeye, why would I not accept what they are saying. I, and I'm guessing here, have not one shred of evidence that they are lying. Their integrity has not been questioned before this so why would they then lie, rather than be honest as painful as that truth may be? What's more likely, that they are honest and the technology didn't work or in this billion pound industry they simply forgot to switch it on/ if the latter were the case then it would come out pretty quickly.

Oliver won't answer and referees never have commented on decisions or situations around the decision. It may have gone off or it may not. If the cameras had not picked it up, and the reasons behind why the ball had not picked it up, then it is unlikely it would have picked up the incident 10 mins or so after it happened.

All ifs buts and maybes from you and that’s my point.

If they say that none of the camaras picked up the ball crossing the line then show us and we might believe you.

You’d have thought they would be keen to back up the statement to maintain some credibility. If they dont, then I’m calling bullshit. If you want to accept that they are telling the truth then fair enough but if ever I need a solicitor I won’t be calling on you to represent me 😀.

Your last sentence simply supports the massive holes in what they are saying and what better way to clear it up but to ask the ref what happened. I agree with you that they never do but what’s stopping them?

Why can’t the game have transparency, openness and honesty? You know what, if they came out and said we’ve made a massive balls up of all this then id take that on the chin rather than the crap they have come out with thinking we are all gullible enough to accept it.

You haven’t commented on why VAR didn’t intervene. You know, these assistant referees that were brought in to help the ref in correcting clear and obvious errors? Like Wilder said, maybe he’d nipped out to make himself a cup of tea but no worries as it’s only a multi million pound industry

My two penneth is what's done is done and we can't change the past however unjust a decision was. However going forward I think each team should be awarded one review per match where the captain of each side can order an incident review. Technology has proven it can fail therefore there must be grounds for play to be stopped by a side whilst a contentious incident is reviewed by the referee/VAR.

I expect a full apology from every single person who mocked me.

Alternatively I expect them to mock Wilder.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...United-consider-legal-action-miss-Europe.html

Well done to SUFC for pursuing these avenues and to Chris Wilder.

Almost as if I knew something was going on ;)

“There will obviously be a discussion above me about the situation,” he said when asked if legal action had been talked of inside the club.

So he’s said he can’t answer whether they would take legal action, has pivoted his response to pass it upwards, and the Mail (which has taken an odd stance on the ownership this season) has launched on those comments. They’ve also bolted-on his comment about whether VAR should have been intervened to imply the “safety net” he’s talking about is legal action, rather than what he actually said if you listen to the press conference where he said the safety net was VAR.

But if you want to claim victory like a Wednesday fan watching his team hold on for a 0-0 draw, be my guest.

“There will obviously be a discussion above me about the situation,” he said when asked if legal action had been talked of inside the club.

So he’s said he can’t answer whether they would take legal action, has pivoted his response to pass it upwards, and the Mail (which has taken an odd stance on the ownership this season) has launched on those comments. They’ve also bolted-on his comment about whether VAR should have been intervened to imply the “safety net” he’s talking about is legal action, rather than what he actually said if you listen to the press conference where he said the safety net was VAR.

But if you want to claim victory like a Wednesday fan watching his team hold on for a 0-0 draw, be my guest.

Well SUFC haven't ruled out taking legal action. If they had he would have said so.

Good on them. Big club mentality.

Last edited:
https://www.change.org/p/english-premier-league-replay-the-sheffield-united-aston-villa-match

'On the 17th June 2020 Sheffield United faced Aston Villa in the Premier League, a match which has huge ramifications at the top and bottom of the table.

After 42 minutes, the Aston Villa goalkeeper took the ball over the line yet a goal was not awarded by Hawkeye due to a technological failure by their supposedly infallible system, and VAR did not intervene despite clear evidence from Sky cameras that this was a 'clear and obvious error'.

The game finished 0-0, which will dent Sheffield United's chances of an unprecedented European finish and damage Aston Villa's relegation rivals at a potentially massive financial cost.

Therefore the game should be replayed from 43 minutes with Sheffield United leading 1-0 and the previous game struck off from the records.

There is precedent for the invalidation of such results. In 2005, the bureau of the FIFA World Cup organising committee reached a decision to invalidate the result of a World Cup qualification match between Uzbekistan and Bahrain on the basis of a 'technical error by the referee of the match'.

We the undersigned believe that in the interest of fairness and sporting integrity that a full independent investigation is launched to these events to ensure they do not happen again, as that the English Premier League should mandate that the match be replayed under these conditions.'

View attachment 83388

---

We have nothing to lose, and far more ambitious and outlandish online petitions have resulted in success than this one.

Please share far and wide!
Child

Can we have a petition for McBurnie to start heading free headers into the corner of the goal? I’ll sign that.

FAO Foxy / Linz- This is embarrassing!

Please delete or hide these threads from public view.
22ADCF28-8025-4502-98AC-1FC23E786C79.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom