Bristol City Manager Comments

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I agree with him. Completely accidental, arm wasn’t in an unnatural position and if anything was harsh and unlucky

Even the initial BBC replays didn’t pick it up.

Super slow mo, one angle - gotcha. I do think VAR has been very good at picking up the less obvious stuff and somewhat bizarre decisions, almost like it needs to fuel the controversy. Whereas obvious stuff it then becomes the refs decision to view the screen and they still make wrong decision.

Previous round - arm above head, unnatural position, no pen
This round, close contact, caught by surprise, natural position, pen

I was anti VAR this season, this season I’ve lost desire to even care or get angry. It’s so poorly implemented
It wasn't completely accidental and it prevented a certain goal. Mawson swung an arm round when the ball got past the keeper and tipped it onto the crossbar. I said to Mrs Balham at the time that it looked like handball to me so clearly I have eagle-eye too :)

The unfathomably wrong decision against Plymouth in the last round shouldn't be used to criticise the correct decision against Bristol City.

If you watch the pitch side highlights video you get a sense of... let's say disbelief at the VAR intervention from both Bristol C and United players. A few things we didn't get to see on the TV was the geniune pats on the back from Blades players to Mawson as you could see (and hear) even they didn't really agree with the decision. There was a shout for handball from a Blades player... but thats instinctive in football even if it wern't a handball there would usually be a call.

Even as a avid Blades fan, I must say I was shocked and kinda disgusted with the red card. I was just sat there thinking "what on Earth has happened to football". The rules are just barmy. Fair enough if you could see it was blatantly on purpose or tries catching the ball, but when its split second like that with a powerful shot, mehhh. Football is in danger of losing a generation of fans because it is just TOO SOFT now. Constant stoppage of play... time-wasting that is hardly ever added on (like the refs are in a hurry to get home for their tea). Red cards for "intent" even if they win the ball... (like refs are mind readers). I mean a lot of this has been around for decades but it seems to be a more regular occurrence now and its getting booooring.

Just to be a bit silly about it:
Why even have refs? Most football in the world that is played is played without a ref and goes on just fine. These are so called "Professionals" so why can't they just sort it out themselves or the captains and have the VAR as an arbitrator just in case and show their professionalism, or maybe have the managers have so many challenges against decisions in a match. Let's face it with the introduction of VAR, if it was implemented properly then the referee is obsolete. I've been finding that non-league and hell even kids Sunday league football is actually more entertaining sometimes because it is less beurocratic.

More silliness:
Also fuck the offside law... we'd see a lot more goals, which is why we watch football. People say the rule is there to add a tactical element to the game. But I ask now... has anyone ever got excited because the other team has been caught offside or excited that players can stand in a line, cos I haven't.

I counter that argument and say it would be MORE tactical to get rid of it. Players would have to be a lot more switched on and the game more exciting and open I recon, and not these stalemates you see of teams constantly passing of the ball in midfield getting nowhere. Who decided you can't be offside from a throwing too? But you can be from a free kick which would result in another free kick to the other team. A game where you primarily use your feet and punished for it... but its alright to throw a ball into an offside position. Really just think about that.
Some good points. Although sending off for handball stopping a goal scoring opportunity was introduced in about 1983 so not really a recent invention.

Some good points. Although sending off for handball stopping a goal scoring opportunity was introduced in about 1983 so not really a recent invention.
Lawrie Sanchez was the first to be sent off for that offence. I knew him since 1976 because he played against my school in Berkshire a number of times. His school was Presentation College (near Reading)

Back
Top Bottom