Bristol City Manager Comments

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GymClassHero

Reaction score
Reckons that the goal was unfair as it wouldn't be given at their place due to VAR not being present;

Holden told BBC Sport: "To lose that way to a VAR penalty is disappointing. If it would have been played at Ashton Gate it wouldn't have been given.

"I don't know how you can have it at one and not the other. I'm not a VAR fan - I think it's killing the game. It's not the game of football I grew up loving.

"It's a hugely debatable decision. The boys defended for their lives and once the referee goes to the screen he will never change his mind, so it's disappointing."

^ I'm afraid that is nonsense, regardless of whether VAR intervened that handball was deliberate and cost us a certain goal. Incidents like this are why VAR was brought in. His comments about it being played at Ashton Gate, while correct it wouldn't have been awarded, it would have been totally unjust and essentially they would have gotten away with cheating.

He’s not got a leg to stand on with the complaint. Being caught out on a deliberate handball on the line isn’t in the same league as a fractional offside.

That said I was thinking during the game that only having VAR at certain grounds undermines the competition to an extent. Each game should be played under the same conditions from an officiating point of view.

Does anyone know what the protocol is now for these incidents ? The handball was checked several times by VAR, once the handball was seen to be fairly blatant it then has to go back to the ref to watch again. Surely this bit can be streamlined to some extent?

Reckons that the goal was unfair as it wouldn't be given at their place due to VAR not being present;

Holden told BBC Sport: "To lose that way to a VAR penalty is disappointing. If it would have been played at Ashton Gate it wouldn't have been given.

"I don't know how you can have it at one and not the other. I'm not a VAR fan - I think it's killing the game. It's not the game of football I grew up loving.

"It's a hugely debatable decision. The boys defended for their lives and once the referee goes to the screen he will never change his mind, so it's disappointing."

^ I'm afraid that is nonsense, regardless of whether VAR intervened that handball was deliberate and cost us a certain goal. Incidents like this are why VAR was brought in. His comments about it being played at Ashton Gate, while correct it wouldn't have been awarded, it would have been totally unjust and essentially they would have gotten away with cheating.
My heart bleeds for him.

The issue for me is that refs and liners are just not giving decisions in real time because they have VAR to rely on. It’s pathetic and an easy way out for them. Offsides are the worst, but pretty much any decision in the box is now ignored and revisited.

Next season we won’t have this so are the Championship refs a bit more competent than the PL ones?! I hope so.

What's frustrating is the referee and assistant were both in a position to see it and missed it. From the kick off we should have had a corner they missed that too. It's a good tool VAR but referees are starting to rely on it. 3 referrals last night. If anything happens in the box the referee or assistant stood within 20 yards away don't want to know, they must have had a good view as it happened on the line. But technology won the day.

I think the point about VAR only being available at certain grounds is a fair one. I was shocked when I learned it was in use at some games but not others.

That would be true if it was a league. It could be argued that VAR leads to more (or fewer?) goals or red cards, so it might advantage one team but not another over the course of a season.

However, in a cup, that argument is irrelevant. It benefits (or disadvantages) both teams equally, and doesn’t carry and benefit forward to the next round.

This is why the allow this rule for cups, but not league (for example, even though relegated teams have the facilities for VAR, it couldn’t be used in the Championship).

The issue for me is that refs and liners are just not giving decisions in real time because they have VAR to rely on. It’s pathetic and an easy way out for them. Offsides are the worst, but pretty much any decision in the box is now ignored and revisited.

Next season we won’t have this so are the Championship refs a bit more competent than the PL ones?! I hope so.

I wouldn't count on it.
I will give it 3 games before some are moaning about incompetent Refs and wishing we had VAR.

Exactly. It'd be like complaining if you'd been caught on CCTV stabbing someone, by saying that if you'd done it around the corner where there wasn't any cameras, you'd have gotten away with it.

Did the right decision get made in the end?

If the answer is yes, then he hasn't got a leg to stand on.

If the same thing happens next week against his team and the ref doesn't spot it, I'm sure like most managers, he'd be in there suggesting if the refs in the Championship had more help they wouldn't miss these things!

Agree with him on VAR tbh. I find it ridiculous that some games have it and others don't in the same competition. Makes a bit of a mockery of it for me but glad it went for us last night.

It was the correct decision.
So what he is basically saying is because his team defended for their lives they should have been allowed to get away with it because it wouldn't have been given at their ground.
So if it was at Ashton Gate and the Ref had missed the hand ball and the game ended 0-0 after extra time then went to penalties and Bristol City won that would be fine, even though Chris Wilder would be fuming with just cause.
I don't get his argument that if it was at their Ground it would not have been used.
It wasn't at their ground, so surely you should make use of all the Tools/Technology that are available to you so that the correct decision can be made which in this case it was.
I think this is a case of a manager who knows he is under pressure with their fans and is just trying to deflect away from the fact they never managed to trouble Ramsdale.

It’s more concerning that there’s two match officials who didn’t see an obvious handball in the first place.

I can see football going to VAR only soon, with the guy on the pitch taking ear piece instructions only.

It’s more concerning that there’s two match officials who didn’t see an obvious handball in the first place.

I can see football going to VAR only soon, with the guy on the pitch taking ear piece instructions only.

I might be unduly fair to the referee, but I think he saw the incident but let it play out first and let the VAR process take its course. Had we scored in the incident then likely Mawson would have been given a yellow. I actually thought the referee had a pretty good game, let things flow when he could and brought things back when appropriate.

As for the red, I think the flick of Mawson's arm after the ball had hit him gave away his intention to save the shot. Bloody good save too, just illegal!

Penalty, yes. What wasn't clear was whether it was deliberate. I wasn't convinved. Unless it's clear the player shouldn't be sent off.

For what it’s worth I didn’t think it was deliberate. I think his hands were in the position you’d expect them to be when someone is stretching to block a shot. It’s a bit like when a player jumps for a header and his arms go up, they’re raised away from the body for balance.

Having said that, it was definitely a penalty and I’m not sure how anyone could argue differently, VAR or not.

It was the correct decision.
So what he is basically saying is because his team defended for their lives they should have been allowed to get away with it because it wouldn't have been given at their ground.
So if it was at Ashton Gate and the Ref had missed the hand ball and the game ended 0-0 after extra time then went to penalties and Bristol City won that would be fine, even though Chris Wilder would be fuming with just cause.
I don't get his argument that if it was at their Ground it would not have been used.
It wasn't at their ground, so surely you should make use of all the Tools/Technology that are available to you so that the correct decision can be made which in this case it was.
I think this is a case of a manager who knows he is under pressure with their fans and is just trying to deflect away from the fact they never managed to trouble Ramsdale.
Agree. In a perfect world there would be VAR at all games or none at all. It though is not as though it was only us that could have benefited from a VAR decision. It could have gone both ways as it could and does, when there isn’t VAR. His guy stopped a certain goal with his hand and he wasn’t the keeper. So penalty and off he goes. We could still have missed the penalty and thy could have taken the game to penalties and won, so the player took a chance a la Suarez in the World Cup, but this time we scored and justice was done

I wouldn't count on it.
I will give it 3 games before some are moaning about incompetent Refs and wishing we had VAR.
Living in Harrogate, I've watched a lot of the Town games on i follow and just about every other game the commentator bemoans the lack of VAR! I think he should be careful what he wishes for!

Personally I would only allow VAR use in the FA Cup if every team involved in the round had VAR which would mean the first time it could be used this season is the Quarter finals ( assuming Chelsea beat Barnsley).

He's right about the inconsistency of having it at some grounds, and the complaints about VAR itself. But no one can tell me that was a debatable decision, even the most biased of Bristol City fans must have to accept that saving a goal on the fucking line with your hand is a penalty!

All sounds very Aston Villa-ish.
They got away with cheating.
Didn’t do them any harm.

I'll bet you a tenner he'd have taken a different view if it had gone for them.

He is of course correct, if it had been at Aston Gate, it wouldn't have been given.

But it wasn't, and it was. If thats how he sets his side up on a regular basis he's in a lot more shit than just a VAR decision.

Back
Top Bottom