Match Thread Brighton & Hove Albion v. Sheffield United - 20th December 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BRI
BRI
BRI

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1608326000868.png v. 1608326005605.png
EPL Week 14 - Sunday 20th December 2020 - Amex Stadium

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/brighton-hove-albion-vs-sheffield-united.522/

Officials:

Referee:
Peter Bankes
Assistant Referee: Neil Davies
Assistant Referee: James Mainwaring
Fourth Official: Keith Stroud
Video Assistant Referee: Michael Oliver
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Peter Kirkup

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

1608326112125.png

Rubbish we played it right and could easily have come away with 3 points.
Ok, did we come away with 3 points or did we concede again (like every other game this season) because we invited pressure on ourselves?

Ok, did we come away with 3 points or did we concede again (like every other game this season) because we invited pressure on ourselves?
Oh dear your comments on this thread have been ridiculous

Disagree, Yes he missed a sitter but he also set up Stevens for a glorious chance. We look so much weaker and on the back foot more without Burke playing. You say he offers us nothing... I say he offers us everything.
Burke did well keeping Brighton honest at the back, I think a bit of credit goes to CW today, changing mid-field after 30 mins was my WOW moment! The goal wasn’t bad ether😂

Not a complaint by any stretch of the imagination, but I feel that if it'd had been Moose coming on for Didzy instead of Ozzie, we might just have given them something to worry about and nicked the win!

But really pleased with that performance, hopefully see Bogle starting now. Really liked Bash in midfield and George at CB but would probably prefer to see Bogle tried at RCM, given the current injury situation.

Whatever happens, we really saw that fighting spirit back today and I'm still hopeful of a miracle escape. Great to see positivity and action from CW when taking Fleck off, who still looks a shadow of his pre-lockdown self.

If Lundstram ever pulls a red and white shirt on again it had better be for Sunderland, Brentford or (even better) Exeter!

Brighton were rubbish but that's a great point considering we were down to 10.

Performance-wise, not up there with Man U but much better than Southampton. We played better with 10 men. There were far too many gaps in our defence first half. They were playing through us far too easily. It worked much better when Bogle came on. Leaving Burke upfront for the counter worked really well. I don't think this is a turnaround moment but it gives me hope that we can start putting together a few points and at least not embarrass ourselves.

Ramsdale - 7 - Best game for us. Quick reactions to make a smart double save and a few other good saves. Kicking is a bit hit and miss but much more solid.
Stevens - 6 - Not much going forward but was solid at the back. He improved second half as they were getting behind us far too easily.
Robinson - 5.5 - Did ok but need to be stronger. Knocked off the ball far too easily twice before the red card. Put his body on the line towards the end.
Egan - 7.5 - So many blocks and tackles. Through his body in the way. extremely solid.
Basham - 7 - Ditto. Their goal came off him but little he could do about it. Got forward well when he could and dealt with a lot of crossses.
Baldock - 6 - Improved as the game went on but had to keep fouling March first half. Much better second and restricted him to more difficult angles.
Amapdu - 7- Impressed with him today. A willing runner and made a number of decent challenges and blocks
Fleck - 3 - Abysmal first half. Gave the ball away badly and looked slow and ponderous
Lundstram - 2 - You could see, with Brighton's height, why he started. Did some good work defensively and cleared the lines a couple of times. Rash challenge which under the rules is a red. Got the ball but the follow through was wild, out of control and high. Could easily caused a nasty injury and the lad he fouled had to go off eventually. Stupid and maybe his last game for the club.
McGoldrick - 7 - Not as influential as against Man U but did a really good job of providing an outlet and linking up play. He's our most important player. Seemed to tire before he was taken off.
Brewster - 4 - He looks slow and ponderous. Kind of made an effort to press but only just. Looks slow to make runs and when on the ball. Of thought and action.

Burke - 7.5 - Changed the game when he came on. We looked a different team with a different attitude. Did a decent job in midfield but he was the difference when pushed upfront. Created our best chances and should have scored second half. If we want to play counterattacking football he's vital to have upfront.
Bogle - 7 - Scored on his debut and looked willing and lively at both ends, getting up and down. Impressive debut.
Osborn - 6 - Brought on to plug gaps and a little hit and miss. Got forward well to create a great chance.

Wilder - 6.5 - We didn't really start the game well and let them get on the front foot. It wasn't as bad as Southampton but not far off. Pulled Fleck off (who I presume was the player he'd been shouting at) and put Burke on which instantly changed how we were playing. We were suddenly pressing more and a much better team. Not like Manu U but better. Given the sending off had to bide his time before pushing Burke further forward but again that worked well. In the end, either side could have won it, which isn't bad when you play much of the game with 10 men.

You ever played at football at any level?
Not that it has any relevance but x3 times a week for about 20 years. Even at my level/ability i can keep the ball on the ground and not resort to aimless hoofs.

Bogle was a revelation and definitely needs to starting more or at least on bench. He looked great today. That early goal really gave him confidence and he was just amazing.

That all said, important we dont jump the gun and start piling too much pressure on him. He played amazing after a dream start but what will he be like after a mistake or two. Dont want a repeat of the Lowe situation where he was amazing when he started then turned into a bit of a liability in subsequent games.

Still, its great to have another option.

Also wondering if Burke will be like Didzy last season.

We hoofed the ball far to much when we still had a full team out not like last week vs man utd, looked really strong when Burke came on before the red card.

We need to start with the no10 tbh our cms are in poor form and now we have lost 2 of them

Wilder must realise now that Burke and McGoldrick are our most reliable strikers.
If only Burke had played wide right, instead of Lundstram, and I did suggest it yesterday!
Brewster was a bitter disaapointment.
Fleck needs half an hour to make a pass
Lundstram is a Billy Big Time
Ramsdale made some great saves.
Basham was immense
Bogle, what a great start
Osborn injected some much needed energy.
The side is starting to pick itself by default. Burke Osborn and Bogle in!!!!

Not a complaint by any stretch of the imagination, but I feel that if it'd had been Moose coming on for Didzy instead of Ozzie, we might just have given them something to worry about and nicked the win!

But really pleased with that performance, hopefully see Bogle starting now. Really liked Bash in midfield and George at CB but would probably prefer to see Bogle tried at RCM, given the current injury situation.

Whatever happens, we really saw that fighting spirit back today and I'm still hopeful of a miracle escape. Great to see positivity and action from CW when taking Fleck off, who still looks a shadow of his pre-lockdown self.

If Lundstram ever pulls a red and white shirt on again it had better be for Sunderland, Brentford or (even better) Exeter!
You just can't make that sub with 10 men though, unfortunately.

Osbourn was the right call.

I'm not disagreeing with that. However for a team low on confidence, down to 10 men for most of the game - that was a fantastic effort and I'm proud of the lads for that
I will never doubt their effort, i think they all give everything. I just get frustrated with quality, especially compared to last season. Its obvious we have regressed in terms of mentality and application but we dont help ourselves by sitting back. Considering we had 10 men perhaps i am being harsh but its the same mistakes we've made all season that in my opinion cost us again.

I will never doubt their effort, i think they all give everything. I just get frustrated with quality, especially compared to last season. Its obvious we have regressed in terms of mentality and application but we dont help ourselves by sitting back. Considering we had 10 men perhaps i am being harsh but its the same mistakes we've made all season that in my opinion cost us again.
You're definitely being a bit harsh on the lads today

Another improved performance from 'the 10 men' ...the belief ( confidence ) is beginning to come back ... as supporters we can share that belief .

Back
Top Bottom