Match Thread Brighton & Hove Albion v. Sheffield United - 20th December 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BRI
BRI
BRI

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1608326000868.png v. 1608326005605.png
EPL Week 14 - Sunday 20th December 2020 - Amex Stadium

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/brighton-hove-albion-vs-sheffield-united.522/

Officials:

Referee:
Peter Bankes
Assistant Referee: Neil Davies
Assistant Referee: James Mainwaring
Fourth Official: Keith Stroud
Video Assistant Referee: Michael Oliver
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Peter Kirkup

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

1608326112125.png

Other than pace, Burke offers us nothing. He can’t finish, he can’t pass, he can’t hold the ball up.....he just runs and runs and runs.

In that case he's still offering a lot more up front than McBurnie, Brewster and Sharp are doing.

That pace is the only thing that's allowing us not to get penned back in our own half all the time. The difference when he came on was stark.

Brighton (xG 3.35) 1-1 (xG 0.92) Sheffield Utd

Have to take the point. Silly Lundstram though for putting us in that position.

Reminded me of West Brom away where the chances came to score but we failed to finish them off

You mean doing what moat other clubs would do when winning away from home with ten men ?
Small team mentality, us sitting back and not trying to impose ourselves on the game cost us, like it does every week. You cant sit back and invite 30 minutes of opposition pressure and not expect they will get a single chance in the best league in the world. We need to stop thinking like some 80s Wimbledon mob who will turn up ‘put a shift in’ and expect to get 3 points.

Exactly what I came to say. Some great last ditch blocking efforts show they do still have some fight in them

I know we are all disappointed at how it ended but a point away from home after 60min with 10 men, when so far we only have 1 point in 39. Might even be seomthing to build on now. Just annoyed that the red card meant we didn't get to see how the change in formation panned out as we were just starting to get into it
It’s there that spark and spirit that we all identified with on the rise up the leagues is still there. Keeping that alive is paramount to the clubs success over the next years. Thank fuck Bogle was good when he came on because given our injuries and suspensions now he’s going to have to play on the whole right hand side.

Small team mentality, us sitting back and not trying to impose ourselves on the game cost us, like it does every week. You cant sit back and invite 30 minutes of opposition pressure and not expect they will get a single chance in the best league in the world. We need to stop thinking like some 80s Wimbledon mob who will turn up ‘put a shift in’ and expect to get 3 points.
He many teams near the bottom of the league and down to ten men would impose themselves on the opposition ? In a way the tactics worked by playing soon the break with Burke's pace

Other than pace, Burke offers us nothing. He can’t finish, he can’t pass, he can’t hold the ball up.....he just runs and runs and runs.
Actually, he does offer us a fair bit in other departments. He has a good eye for a pass, wins headers, closes down well and sometimes holds it up well.

When he laid off for Enda, that was brilliant play. His main weakness is his rash finishing, and it's not like he hasn't got time to really work on it. He's still a young lad.

Except for forcing the mistake last week which led to a goal, earning a freekick as soon as he came on which was so close to leading to a goal, and being nicely involved in the goal today.... apart from that nothing ;)

All of which are down to pace, which I clearly stated he has. Guilt edge chance to win the game today and he blows it, wasted another one at West Brom too.

He played a 5 yard pass to set up the goal today.

Once Brewster and Moose are up to speed, he won’t be in the squad ahead of them.

In that case he's still offering a lot more up front than McBurnie, Brewster and Sharp are doing.

That pace is the only thing that's allowing us not to get penned back in our own half all the time. The difference when he came on was stark.
Maybe McBurnie would look better if we didn’t just smash balls at him for 90 minutes.

Maybe if we played to our players strengths a bit more we wouldn’t be so toothless up front.

Last season we would have taken a 3-2 loss from Man U and a point from an away game with 10 men.

As been said before we still have many issues

Good performance. Poor sending off, then 10 men for close on an hour, and chances to win it.

That Ref though. Raging at the TV here, he blew on the dot at the end of the first half, but gave them an extra 40 seconds to hit the bar and have another go from the corner.

Definite improvement though, starting to look like a team again.
Should have been more than 4 minutes tho

We've got 10 men and are battling for a point it's a fantastic effort
Me fighting mike tyson with one arm would be a fantastic effort but embarrassing.

we should of tried to impose ourself on the game more, be less wasteful and not invite pressure on ourselves, we didnt help the situation by giving away ‘tactical’ fouls.

Me fighting mike tyson with one arm would be a fantastic effort but embarrassing.

we should of tried to impose ourself on the game more, be less wasteful and not invite pressure on ourselves, we didnt help the situation by giving away ‘tactical’ fouls.
You ever played at football at any level?

Once Brewster and Moose are up to speed, he won’t be in the squad ahead of them.
Disagree, Yes he missed a sitter but he also set up Stevens for a glorious chance. We look so much weaker and on the back foot more without Burke playing. You say he offers us nothing... I say he offers us everything.

Made the goal last game with his pressing. Won a free a kick as soon as he came on and if the ref had played advantage who knows. Set up Stevens with a glorious chance. Was involved in the goal by holding the ball up. He's dangerous and a threat. Scares the life out of defenders. Agreed he can't finish, but he offers us so much going forward that I can live with his poor finishing.

Disagree, Yes he missed a sitter but he also set up Stevens for a glorious chance. We look so much weaker and on the back foot more without Burke playing. You say he offers us nothing... I say he offers us everything.

We only look weaker and on the back foot because Wilder is insistent on us smashing balls up to McBurnie and hitting and hoping something drops for us.

You can write these superlatives. We have a point, we played with 10 etc... For me, IT wasn't a turning point. Fuck this bad luck...

Rubbish we played it right and could easily have come away with 3 points.

Actually, he does offer us a fair bit in other departments. He has a good eye for a pass, wins headers, closes down well and sometimes holds it up well.

When he laid off for Enda, that was brilliant play. His main weakness is his rash finishing, and it's not like he hasn't got time to really work on it. He's still a young lad.
If the other lads could finish he'd have quite a few assists this season

Thought he held the ball well today. He stretches defences and his first touch is good. No he cant finish but Wilder will know that
I’d agree you can see why as a youngster he was so highly rated on the assumption that the finishing would come with time. It hasn’t. But it doesn’t mean it won’t.

He many teams near the bottom of the league and down to ten men would impose themselves on the opposition ? In a way the tactics worked by playing soon the break with Burke's pace
Weve seen other teams who are around the drop play decent footy so to say its not possible is rubbish. Ive seen teams with 10 men also attempt to play the ball.

I think 90% of rammers clearances went straight back to the opposition when we could have tried to slow the game down more in possession. We did get a few decent chances with some of the long punts but we didnt take them.

The writing was in the wall. You simply cant allow any team to have so much possession and think they wont create anything in the premier league.

Back
Top Bottom