Brewster

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

After tonight he is definitely behind Moose and Burke and thats saying something.
How on earth he headed that over the cross bar I dont know you could have kissed it in.

Poor kid, he tries but still no result.

Yeah we are waiting for the flood gates to open but there is one heckuva build up of water behind them.
Honestly, which game did you watch? There’s no way he’s behind Burke, none at all.

Brewsters first will be a last minute thunder bolt, straight in the top corner infront of the Kop against Birmingham. Thank me later.

That would be lovely. Mind you, I hope we are 6 nil up at the time anyway.

Its so early to be writing off a youngster like Brewster. Let's see him playing in a team going forwards a little bit before declaring him useless & a waste of money. He spent last season playing in strange circumstances for the worst attacking team of all time in the Premier League.

He's done the business before at this level (1 in 2) at 19 years of age. Let's back him.

Brewster (and the same goes for McBurnie) needs to go out there and almost be a bit cocky and arrogant and not play within himself like last season shackled to a system that wasn't working and a price tag he couldn't live up to. Do a fancy trick, take the piss out of the opposition, have a shot from 30 yards and not have the fear of a bollocking

Freedom to express yourself and be your best normally gets the best out of talented people, its the dumb ones that have to be told what to do then panic when they have to think for themselves.

To watch Brewster play reminds me of Che Adams in many ways, so could still be a goal machine.

Honestly, which game did you watch? There’s no way he’s behind Burke, none at all.
Burke has no football brain whatsoever + he's definitely not a striker.
He's played at WB for previous teams but we've got plenty of WBs.
If Slav has any nous , he'll get rid if he can , but there's likely to be few takers if we want to recoup any valuation he represented in the Calum Robinson swap.

If Slav has any nous , he'll get rid if he can , but there's likely to be few takers if we want to recoup any valuation he represented in the Calum Robinson swap.
think if burke plays it can only be as a wide striker in a front 3 personally think he will be moved on eventually by slav

You're right that Burke doesn't always make the right decisions, I wouldn't say he' not got a football brain, but I think the reason he's playing for us and not at Red Bull Leipzig for example is because of this. Therefore he needs to be played in his best position where what he does is second nature as opposed to having to make decisions that re not to his natural position i.e centre forward. so played as a left or right forward should suit him down to the ground. I think it would be a crying shame to not give him a run in the side if merited in his best position and see how he does because if we get him back to his Forest spell then he'll be a great player for us, especially at this level. He may have played wing back previously but, again, that's not his best position - he is definitely not defensively minded and you limit his attacking threat as a result and that's his strength.

If you watch back on the highlights from the Donny game there's one bit where he chests a ball down, kills it dead and then hooks a forward ball for McGoldrick perfectly. Brilliant target man stuff and so he has got it in his locker to do stuff that is much better than what some think, although I wouldn't want him playing centre forward. I want to see him playing more and unleash the best of him in his best position wide left or right It reminds me a bit of when Paul Devlin was here and in his early spell he struggled, we even sent him on loan to Notts County. I think we played him up top at times in the early days and he was a proper winger too, that didn't turn out too bad and in Burke we could have the best wide forward in our team.

You're right that Burke doesn't always make the right decisions, I wouldn't say he' not got a football brain, but I think the reason he's playing for us and not at Red Bull Leipzig for example is because of this. Therefore he needs to be played in his best position where what he does is second nature as opposed to having to make decisions that re not to his natural position i.e centre forward. so played as a left or right forward should suit him down to the ground. I think it would be a crying shame to not give him a run in the side if merited in his best position and see how he does because if we get him back to his Forest spell then he'll be a great player for us, especially at this level. He may have played wing back previously but, again, that's not his best position - he is definitely not defensively minded and you limit his attacking threat as a result and that's his strength.

If you watch back on the highlights from the Donny game there's one bit where he chests a ball down, kills it dead and then hooks a forward ball for McGoldrick perfectly. Brilliant target man stuff and so he has got it in his locker to do stuff that is much better than what some think, although I wouldn't want him playing centre forward. I want to see him playing more and unleash the best of him in his best position wide left or right It reminds me a bit of when Paul Devlin was here and in his early spell he struggled, we even sent him on loan to Notts County. I think we played him up top at times in the early days and he was a proper winger too, that didn't turn out too bad and in Burke we could have the best wide forward in our team.
I see your point + to some extent it's going to depend on how Slav wants to set up the attacking side of our team.
I love the way he is playing his cards close to his chest - I reckon he will keep the other managers guessing this season which is the best way to outsmart them.
All the PL managers knew EXACTLY how we'd set up at the start of EVERY game under Wilder coz he never changed it + so gave us no real chance to beat a fully prepared opposition.

Burke is incapable of finding space, there was an instance on Wednesday evening when moose had the ball in the middle of the Doncaster half. He looked to Burke to either go down the line, come short or put himself in a position to receive the ball. He just stood with a Donnie player between him and moose.
Unfortunately the bloke is brain dead and his miss from within the six yard box was confirmation of his ability

I think there are 5 strikers at the club definitely more deserving of minutes than Burke, and Brewster is arguably more deserving.

If he gets a run in the side it will be because (i) he fits a specific system (ii) we have a lot of injuries or (iii) Jokanovic has lost his mind.

I think there are 5 strikers at the club definitely more deserving of minutes than Burke, and Brewster is arguably more deserving.

If he gets a run in the side it will be because (i) he fits a specific system (ii) we have a lot of injuries or (iii) Jokanovic has lost his mind.
if we're playing three up top then the two wider guys then I think Burke is ideally suited to that role over any of the remaining forwards, but that is open to debate and it's subjective on what each striker brings to the table. There's merits to every forward, ultimately it'll go down to form and currently Mousset is the only one who is a definite starter, McGoldrick probably the most likely other based on last season, but some will argue that that's gone now.

Burke is incapable of finding space, there was an instance on Wednesday evening when moose had the ball in the middle of the Doncaster half. He looked to Burke to either go down the line, come short or put himself in a position to receive the ball. He just stood with a Donnie player between him and moose.
Unfortunately the bloke is brain dead and his miss from within the six yard box was confirmation of his ability
If we're talking about ability then Brewster's misses outweigh Burke's and yet I think most would agree that Brewster is very talented. Burke does need to improve his decision making but he's proved before, albeit at Forest, what he brings to a team hence a £15m transfer after half a season.

I know last season was disappointing but I really think we should be thinking ...... how can we get behind the lad, support him, and give him confidence to get that first goal?

Come on guys ..... give him a chance because Pele would have struggled playing in front of our midfield last season !! o_O

UTB & FTP

I know last season was disappointing but I really think we should be thinking ...... how can we get behind the lad, support him, and give him confidence to get that first goal?

Come on guys ..... give him a chance because Pele would have struggled playing in front of our midfield last season !! o_O

UTB & FTP
Pele/Messi/Kane would have all struggled. People keep saying this.

and yet, David McGoldrick didn’t struggle all that much.

personally think burke will be on the bench most of the time but i can see him being useful coming on for the last 20 possibly wide left in a front 3 running at tiring defenders

personally think burke will be on the bench most of the time but i can see him being useful coming on for the last 20 possibly wide left in a front 3 running at tiring defenders
With all the strikers fit, it puts a lot of pressure on them to perform, the running at tiring Defenders applies equally as much to Mcb and Brewster as Burke, if we hang onto all of them, there really is competition for places

A bad miss 2nd half from Burke at Donny, hit target at least. One from Brewster as well.
Potential, if things go ok, of a Deane Agana remake with Jeb and Mouse.

With all the strikers fit, it puts a lot of pressure on them to perform, the running at tiring Defenders applies equally as much to Mcb and Brewster as Burke, if we hang onto all of them, there really is competition for places
im still not sure mcburnie will be slavs type of striker i am a bit biased because ive never rated him while hes been here but if he does stay i really hope he makes me eat my words and gets us 15 - 20 goals this season and like others i think brewster just needs a goal to set him alight top 6 is nailed on for me

Brewster needs to work with psychologist imo, last season was a proper shit situation for him, the team didn't give him much service on his first games for us and the team as a whole struggled to create chances.

It looked like his morale had dropped towards the end of the season and he clearly needs a confidence boost.

It's clear from his time at Liverpool and Swansea that there's a great player there. Also clear that the gaffer has seen something already. If he can get his chin up and if we can support him by getting behind him, he'll soon get some cracking performances under his belt

Brewster needs to work with psychologist imo, last season was a proper shit situation for him, the team didn't give him much service on his first games for us and the team as a whole struggled to create chances.

It looked like his morale had dropped towards the end of the season and he clearly needs a confidence boost.

It's clear from his time at Liverpool and Swansea that there's a great player there. Also clear that the gaffer has seen something already. If he can get his chin up and if we can support him by getting behind him, he'll soon get some cracking performances under his belt
I think the root may well be with Wilder and the Covid lack of support. Wilder wasn't able to motivate or change the teams tactics during Covid, the lack of crowd support playing on his mind perhaps. Nor were we fans able to boost the confidence of the strikers during games to roar them on, and so the 1-0 defeats did for us. Listening to Sir Keefs interview reminds me of the utter single mindedness of natural strikers to get the drug of approval from scoring.
Missing the roar of a crowd plus a past it manager whose tactics famously dont score much, has to play on the mind on the more natural strikers - they can't do what they are born to do. The conundrum being the sooner Brewster starts hearing us singing his name, that confidence will come flooding back, but he has to give us a reason to sing his name ..

I'm a big supporter of Brewster and will 100% be behind him next season, but my expectations have changed from expecting him to come good, to instead just hoping he does.

He looked far more motivated against Donny and put more effort in, he also had a few nice touches, but haven't seen any sign of the "best finisher to come through Liverpools youth system". He often looks a bit clueless in the box and either makes the wrong run or doesn't run at all. I'm hoping he's not lost his killer instinct in front of goal after having 0 opportunities to use it last season, but I am a little worried as it is.

As for Burke.. He's insanely fast but that's about it. He hasn't a clue what to do with or without the ball, he only seems to be able to run after it. So many times his teammates are waiting for him to make some sort of movement and he's just stood there ball watching. It's quite weird really.

im still not sure mcburnie will be slavs type of striker i am a bit biased because ive never rated him while hes been here but if he does stay i really hope he makes me eat my words and gets us 15 - 20 goals this season and like others i think brewster just needs a goal to set him alight top 6 is nailed on for me
I agree, the one possibly defining factor is apart from Didsy, and Billy, the others offer something quite similar, in terms of pace, work and position, I can't imagine Slav will continue to play someone if the effort or end product isn't there, the line up against Donny, Brewster could be a direct replacement for Mousse or Burke, as could Mcb or slightly stretching the point, Jebbison

Back
Top Bottom